HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is making the playoffs overrated?

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Is making the playoffs overrated?

I've always thought that I would've loved to have seen the Rangers actually make the playoffs, but after watching the Knicks, making the playoffs ain't no big deal if you can't win one game after the end of the season, and if you make the playoffs because you're the best of the worst. Additionally, it's no fun if you're not to competitive either.

Old
04-26-2004, 09:32 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I've always thought that I would've loved to have seen the Rangers actually make the playoffs, but after watching the Knicks, making the playoffs ain't no big deal if you can't win one game after the end of the season, and if you make the playoffs because you're the best of the worst. Additionally, it's no fun if you're not to competitive either.
The difference is that the Knicks and the other bottom teams in the Eastern conference are just horrible. Knicks were 4 games below .500. IN the NHL the two 8th placed teams were both 9 games over .500.

I'd also add that in the NBA the difference between the 1st & 8th place teams is far greater than the difference is in the NHL. Far more "upsets" in the NHL playoffs. With Montreal winning this year I believe it was something like the 7th consecutive year that a 7th place team beat the 2nd seeded team.

Old
04-26-2004, 10:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I think it depends on the type of team you have. With the Rangers circa November it would have been a good thing to make the playoffs because they were such a veteran heavy team. An argument could be made that the Rangers would have been a better playoff team then they were regular season team.

In this case, the Rangers are better served missing the playoffs and getting a high pick. There is not enough of a nulceus so that NHL playoff experience would have been a huge help to the maturation process (especially since they are getting playoff experience together in Hartford).

04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:

Playing without your 2nd and 3rd best player didnīt help either.
Let put it this way if the Nets didnīt have Jefferson and Martin and we had Houston and Timmy we woulda swept them.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Fletch

That may be true, Marcus...

but I think one of the differences is that the Nets play hurt, and the Knicks have forgotten what it takes to win. Still think they'd find a way to beat the Knicks.

Old
04-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
but I think one of the differences is that the Nets play hurt, and the Knicks have forgotten what it takes to win. Still think they'd find a way to beat the Knicks.

Well I guess thatīs open for debate and I canīt say you are wrong I just have this feeling that if Thomas hadnīt gone down in game 1 he would have given us the extra offence to take both game 3 and 4. With Houston we could have even taken the series.

Old
04-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
i certainly wouldnt have enjoyed watching the Rangers get dismantled by the Lightning i can tell you that.

Old
04-26-2004, 04:02 PM
leafaholix*

I'd rather my team finish in the bottom 10 then make the playoffs and know that we don't stand a chance in hell. Teams that make the playoffs as #6, 7, or 8 teams consistentely better have a great scouting staff.

Old
04-26-2004, 05:28 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
I'd rather my team finish in the bottom 10 then make the playoffs and know that we don't stand a chance in hell. Teams that make the playoffs as #6, 7, or 8 teams consistentely better have a great scouting staff.
Exactly. The team hasn't made the playoffs in 7 years and I could care less. I also don't care if the team fails to make the playoffs for another five provided it's part of a rebuilding plan.

What bothers me most is the endless, wasteful attempts at the playoffs that wind up falling short and costing valuable draft slots. (And let's not forget that while we all think almost exclusively of the first round, finishing low in the regular season means picking ahead of everybody in every round. Doing that round after round for year after year adds up.) How in hell can any team miss for seven years and not have a top-line forward prospect in their system?

Landing a pair of top-3 picks would be ten times more meaningful to me than a playoff round or two.

Old
04-27-2004, 09:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
Well I guess thatīs open for debate and I canīt say you are wrong I just have this feeling that if Thomas hadnīt gone down in game 1 he would have given us the extra offence to take both game 3 and 4. With Houston we could have even taken the series.
That's talking about the series with rosy-colored Knick glasses on. The Nets are just a much better team. The Knicks did not even blong on the same court as the Nets this year. At the time that Thomas got hurt he did what? Nothing. The Knicks are just not that good.

Closed Thread