HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Interested in Raffi Torres

Old
02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Hey are there any NHL players you like?

How about Ranger players, like any of them? Seems you dislike just about everyone.
Ranger players I like:

Lundqvist
Callahan
Dubinsky
Staal
Drury
Avery
Prospal
Gaborik
Anisimov
Del Zotto
Christensen
I dislike everyone, but I don't think I've ever said a negative word about any of these players. So I guess I don't dislike everyone.

There's a reason you rarely hear me talk about players in the NHL that I like around here. It's because Sather makes a habit of rarely acquiring them.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
He just gave away two players who together produced 14 goals in 100 games for an ex-40 goal scorer and a brawler. I'd say he can pull something together.

Anyway, about CBJs being even interested in Rozi...

Mike Commodore, Fedor Tyutin, Jan Hejda, Mathieu Roy, Marc Methot, and Kris Russel are their defenseman.

Not a very good lineup, but it's questionable whether or not Howson credits Rozsival worth the $5M a year just to add a small boost to defense.
Any chance we can get Tyutin or Commodore in the deal as well?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:21 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Raffi Torres is an awfully good hockey player. \Watch Columbus play and even though he's not a big scores, he's a player that stands out. Hard working, a hitter and willing to go into all the tough places. Exactly the type of player the team needs more of. 3rd line player on a great team but hard to play against. I'd do a deal here in a minute if something reasonable is available. And I dont expect Columbus to take back our dreck for him. Depending on what kind of prospects (suspects) they are interested in something can be worked out here.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:22 PM
GarretJoseph

Unless its Redden or Brashear, No thank you.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
I doubt very high. He's a 20 goal scorer tops, and hasn't been even as good as that last year. He's back on track for 20+ this year, though. Defensively, not so hot but he's a little bit of a tough guy. Of course, nothing like Prust or Avery but I guess he can add some balls to the lineup?
Actually, he used to be much nastier than Avery or Prust....in the way he plays the game. Haven't watched many BJ games over the last two seasons, so I don't know if he's mellowed out a bit. Seems like he may have. Not sure.

But he's had two major knee injuries (and one surgery) and a seperated shoulder, in the last three years. Something to be concerned about.

At his best, Torres was a much more physically effective player than Callahan. I'm not so sure you could really compare them. But if you did, Callahan would be Torres Extra Light.

Injuries aside.......

If he still plays with the same or similar edge he used to, he'd be good for this team.

Lose Christensen, insert Torres. You gain offensive production and toughness. Win-Win situation

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:50 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Actually, he used to be much nastier than Avery or Prust....in the way he plays the game. Haven't watched many BJ games over the last two seasons, so I don't know if he's mellowed out a bit. Seems like he may have. Not sure.

But he's had two major knee injuries (and one surgery) and a seperated shoulder, in the last three years. Something to be concerned about.

At his best, Torres was a much more physically effective player than Callahan. I'm not so sure you could really compare them. But if you did, Callahan would be Torres Extra Light.

Injuries aside.......

If he still plays with the same or similar edge he used to, he'd be good for this team.

Lose Christensen, insert Torres. You gain offensive production and toughness. Win-Win situation
Yeah, Torres was a very effective player. He has problems with injuries but he still plays hard. There would be worse pick-ups.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Potter doesnt have any trade value whatsoever. None. Career AHL'er.

Lisin isnt too far behind when it comes to value.
Lisin has 2nd-liner potential.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Lisin has 2nd-liner potential.
But Lisin isn't likely to ever put it all together. He will be a fringe 2nd liner and he doesn't have the defensive game to be an ideal 3rd liner. This makes him an ideal KHLer.

I like him. I wouldn't mind signing him cheap and giving him another chance, and I'd love to see him actually produce for us, but I don't think it happens. Not that he's as talented as Zherdev but I think his story will be just like Zherdev's. Young guy with a lot of talent and potential never REALLY puts it together in the NHL, doesn't like the physical/defensive side of the game, doesn't stick in the NHL. He's not terrible defensively and he shows a willingness to be a bit physical, but he's not an ideal third liner and he's only a 2nd liner if he really gets it going.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Any chance we can get Tyutin or Commodore in the deal as well?
I don't doubt Tyutin will be a likely victim of a Blue Jackets trade. Jackets are sitting 14th in the west and have seemingly no chance at even an 8th seed. There were rumors about a month ago of the Blue Jackets shaking things up, and Tyutin was on the spotlight in the center of these rumors, but nothing ended up happening. While we get closer to the trade deadline, Howson might decide to now shake his team up considering they haven't moved from their location on the standings in a while.

I can see Tyutin moving, but I think the main topic of the shake up was Filatov, who got sent back to the KHL. I think the last thing the Rangers need is more young, inexperienced players though.

Old
02-02-2010, 08:04 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
I don't doubt Tyutin will be a likely victim of a Blue Jackets trade. Jackets are sitting 14th in the west and have seemingly no chance at even an 8th seed. There were rumors about a month ago of the Blue Jackets shaking things up, and Tyutin was on the spotlight in the center of these rumors, but nothing ended up happening. While we get closer to the trade deadline, Howson might decide to now shake his team up considering they haven't moved from their location on the standings in a while.

I can see Tyutin moving, but I think the main topic of the shake up was Filatov, who got sent back to the KHL. I think the last thing the Rangers need is more young, inexperienced players though.
Really? I think with his cost-effective ELC Filatov would be a phenomenal fit for the offense starved Rangers. He could play on Anisimov's wing (Russian connection) and would definitely be worthy of the top six minutes he wants playing for the Rangers. He'd give us a dynamic skill set the likes of which is just MISSING from this roster (outside of Gabs). He might not be experienced but he has a high ceiling, supposedly wants to play in the NHL, and could easily be a spark in a revamped offense next season. If we could get him without giving up anything terribly valuable, such as Roszival + Lisin/Heikkinen/Sauer + 2nd for Filatov + Commodore, I'd be ALL over it.

Old
02-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Filatov had a pretty short, bad season in Columbus (2 goals, 0 assists, 13 games) which resulted in him being sent off the team. As for Commodore, I don't think I've seen the slightest possibility of him being the focus of a trade, and he's one of those players who gets a lot of injuries. In fact, he's out with a charlie horse tonight.

Old
02-02-2010, 08:12 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Filatov had a pretty short, bad season in Columbus (2 goals, 0 assists, 13 games) which resulted in him being sent off the team. As for Commodore, I don't think I've seen the slightest possibility of him being the focus of a trade, and he's one of those players who gets a lot of injuries. In fact, he's out with a charlie horse tonight.
Yeah, well you're not going to rob them blind, you know? I'd love Tyutin, Hejda or Klesla much more, but Commodore at least fills a need for a tough defenseman. Filatov had a slow start in Columbus where he was playing on the third and fourth line and being asked to focus on defense and play "Hitchcock hockey". Don't fool yourself into believing he wouldn't instantly be our second most dynamic forward. He's got bundles of talent and we don't need anymore third liners - we need to take a chance on someone cheap (money wise) who could be a legit top six, if not top line player.

Old
02-02-2010, 08:16 PM
NYR Viper

If Filatov is available I would hope Sather would be all over it. But I have a feeling a lot of teams would be too. He would be a nice compliment to the grinders this team already has.

Old
02-02-2010, 08:17 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

No Thank You

I hate Torres.... god....does Sather want me to stop liking my own team??

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
Really? I think with his cost-effective ELC Filatov would be a phenomenal fit for the offense starved Rangers. He could play on Anisimov's wing (Russian connection) and would definitely be worthy of the top six minutes he wants playing for the Rangers. He'd give us a dynamic skill set the likes of which is just MISSING from this roster (outside of Gabs). He might not be experienced but he has a high ceiling, supposedly wants to play in the NHL, and could easily be a spark in a revamped offense next season. If we could get him without giving up anything terribly valuable, such as Roszival + Lisin/Heikkinen/Sauer + 2nd for Filatov + Commodore, I'd be ALL over it.
You must think some of the guys posting here run the BJs. A ttypical "our trash for their treasure" trade proposal. They expect Filatov back and they are not giving him away for such a weak return.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
If Filatov is available I would hope Sather would be all over it. But I have a feeling a lot of teams would be too. He would be a nice compliment to the grinders this team already has.
We would have to give some draft picks or prospects of our own for him. He was like a 6th overall, and has a lot of potential.

Old
02-02-2010, 08:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
We would have to give some draft picks or prospects of our own for him. He was like a 6th overall, and has a lot of potential.
Yeah, I know. I think he would be worth the cost considering he is in Russia right now.

Old
02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
You must think some of the guys posting here run the BJs. A ttypical "our trash for their treasure" trade proposal. They expect Filatov back and they are not giving him away for such a weak return.
Do YOU run the BJs? Because as far as I've heard they're not expecting him back unless they're doing away with Hitchcock. I don't think Rozy's stock is as low as WE think because we're so frustrated by him. His contract looks better on the remaining two years, which is the number CBJ would likely be more concerned with and they have poor depth on D. Upgrade the prospect involved, but on the premise that Filatov may not ever play for them, I don't think it's as far off a starting point as you believe.

Filatov is an unproven talent who has already had an issue with his first NHL coach. His stock won't be tremendously high. Of course I'd expect other team's to be in on him, but when you look at Sather's trade record and the fact that we acquired Zherdev from them who, to my eyes, was a similar situation, I think the formula is there, though the specifics would have to be hammered out and the deal would very likely have to be sweetened in a bidding war.

Last edited by SERE 24: 02-02-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old
02-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Vitto79

Rather pick up Ponikarovsky from TO...........Burkie and Sather deadline special......Lisin and a 4th

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Edge

Wouldn't mind Torres if we could shed a longer contract.

Don't understand the obsession with getting Tyutin back.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:57 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

if we can get rid of one of our contracts in the process and not give up any good prospects, then yes. If they want any draft picks and/or decent prospects, no thank you.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Ola

Any relation to Fernando?

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Ola

If Slats can unload Brash on someone, I wouldn't mind dealing like a 3rd rounder or a prospect for Torres.

I see this team being built around a first line with a Gabby entourage (2nd rate guys who gits Gabby), a 2nd line built around a center who can create offense by himself -- and then players like Cally, Dubi, Avery and why not Prust who also fit that mold. A player like Torres would definitely fit into that group too.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Any relation to Fernando?
Now that would be someone who can really score!

And here comes the sad statistic: That guy has only played 15 games this year, and still would rank third on the team in goals with 12 (one shy of being tied for second)

as a soccer player

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
We already have our Raffi Torres in Ryan Callahan. This does absolutely nothing for me.
If Torres is another Cally, I want him here long term. I would be glad to have a team with 15 Callahans.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote