HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Interested in Raffi Torres

Old
02-03-2010, 12:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
Do YOU run the BJs? Because as far as I've heard they're not expecting him back unless they're doing away with Hitchcock. I don't think Rozy's stock is as low as WE think because we're so frustrated by him. His contract looks better on the remaining two years, which is the number CBJ would likely be more concerned with and they have poor depth on D. Upgrade the prospect involved, but on the premise that Filatov may not ever play for them, I don't think it's as far off a starting point as you believe.

Filatov is an unproven talent who has already had an issue with his first NHL coach. His stock won't be tremendously high. Of course I'd expect other team's to be in on him, but when you look at Sather's trade record and the fact that we acquired Zherdev from them who, to my eyes, was a similar situation, I think the formula is there, though the specifics would have to be hammered out and the deal would very likely have to be sweetened in a bidding war.
Fliatov was the 6th player picked in the draft a year ago. The sixth player! He just turned 19. Most media in Columbus have reported that they are not trading him and they are certainly not trading him for a 31 year old journeyman and a prospect. Not unless that prospect is someone like Kreider.

Zherdev was hardly similar. He was 24 when we acquired him, had played 4 full seasons in the NHL (+the strike year in the Russian Super League) and was midway through his second contract. He was traded straight up for a similar player.

There will be a market for Rozsival but it will not be a cash strapped team (Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix etc.) because they need to spend what money they have on stars and fill in with lower cost players.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Ola

Fila diva is a real headcase...

...take Zherdev as a example? What was his problem? He didn't know what to do on the ice. When Torts told him to play with bigger marginals he didn't have a clue what to do and skated around in a vacuum. He always tried.

What did Fila do in CBJ? He told the brass thats its him or the coach. At the age of 18-19. He was on pace to get 16 pts over 80 games. Grachev should try to walk into Slats office and tell him "Either you fire Torts or I'll hit the road". Its kind of the same thing.

Besides, he is not that talented. Excellent skater. Decent shot. Vision? Can he dangle? Nah on both.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

There will be a market for Rozsival but it will not be a cash strapped team (Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix etc.) because they need to spend what money they have on stars and fill in with lower cost players.
It will be to a cashed strapped team. The entire allure of Rozsival to a cash strapped team is that while we find him to be overpaid, market value for him is still easily above $3M. They couldn't get a Rozsival on the open market for that number, but due to the remaining terms of his contract, he's set to make $4M next season and $3M the following. A cash strapped team is going to care less about the cap hit, because they should have plenty of cap space, and more about the actual dollars. That's why they are a perfect destination for a guy like Rozy with only 2 years left.

It doesn't matter where Filatov was picked if he has fallen out of favor in Columbus. Obviously we have heard very opposite things with regards to whether or not he will be playing there any time soon. I can't say which of us is correct, but I can say that what I've heard indicates he won't be a Blue Jacket while Hitchcock is. Players who are selected high in the draft and fail to meet expectations can be seen being traded for significantly lower value than HFers like to assign to unproven prospects. Someone once said "Welcome to HF boards where a 1st round pick is more valuable than the Stanley Cup". It's not far from the truth around here.

Further, we as Rangers fans bash on Rozy more than anyone and are the least capable of viewing him subjectively. There's a reason Redden constantly gets benched while Rozy racks up #2 minutes. His value is simply not as poor as people think. Now go back to factor in the lower dollar value for the remaining years of his deal and he's exactly the kind of defenseman a cash strapped team is looking for. Obviously in order to bring back a guy with the potential of Filatov you have to sweeten things, but you suggesting that we'd have to include a Kreider is WAY farther from the truth than my suggesting it could be done for Rozsival + 2nd + mid-prospect.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Rozsival gets too much heat on these boards, but if Drury and Redden weren't eating up $13M in cap space there wouldn't be nearly as much complaining about Rozy. He plays pretty well game in and game out. He is prone to an "I can't believe he just did that, goddammit" blunder every few games but his overall play is much better than we give him credit for and his stock, at least in my opinion, is not likely as low as we think.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Well, my argument is no longer valid. Hitchcock was fired today.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Old
02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Well, my argument is no longer valid. Hitchcock was fired today.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
Maybe I do run the BJs.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Maybe I do run the BJs.

Good stuff

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Maybe I do run the BJs.
Hey can you make Rick Nash for Wade Redden happen?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Maybe I do run the BJs.
To be fair you didn't say Hitch was getting the ax, just that they were expecting Filatov to play for them.

Either way, it obviously changes everything so I would no longer imagine Filatov is even a topic of discussion as far as CBJ and trades go, for anyone anymore.

Old
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
To be fair you didn't say Hitch was getting the ax, just that they were expecting Filatov to play for them.

Either way, it obviously changes everything so I would no longer imagine Filatov is even a topic of discussion as far as CBJ and trades go, for anyone anymore.
Why not make a push for R.J. Umberger? Backloaded contracted center, who seemed like a major Hitchcock player.

Feel like something like Rozsy, Sauer and a 2nd would be enough to get R.J. and Torres

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:48 AM
Ola

Hmm, I wonder if Torres could be a emergency backup for Callahan/Dubinsky...

For example:
Slats dumps Redden in the NHL. Replace him on the roster with any bum he can come across.

Deals like Jokinen, Dubinsky/Callahan and Gilroy/Girardi for Kovalchuk and Schubert.

Or if the deal that fell through with Calgary was something like Dubi, Gilroy, Higgins and Kotalik for Phaneuf and Jokinen. Slats could then maybe have picked up Torres to repace Dubi...

Otherwise we don't really have room for Torres.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

As I believed last year, the Rangers should NOT be giving up anything future options for a rental. I like Torres' game and he provides consistent effort and more guys who can establish a solid forcheck are always good to have, though he's not more then Dubinsky, Callahan, and Avery already.

If Slats can nab him while dumping Drury on Columbus, I'm all for it, but if he's going to burn another 2nd rounder, it's a total waste.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote