HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Faceoff help

Old
02-02-2010, 03:53 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

vCash: 500
Faceoff help

Played winger before ,but now forced to play center. I'm getting killed on faceoffs and it has become very frustrating. Any tips or hints on what I should be trying to do? I'm righthanded as well.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Pog Form

Just a quick tip: when you're lined up for the faceoff waiting for the puck to drop, don't look down at the circle. Watch the puck in the ref's hand to get your timing down.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

adjust to who you are going against.

notice if they aer left handed or right handed, if they are going back hand or forehand, and look to see if a winger is set up at the circle for a quick shot off the draw

if they are, that means he is probably trying to win it to that guy so you can easily atleast defend it

smack their stick too, dont just try and go for the puck

also tell your wigners to help you out incase its a stalemate on the draw your wingers can come in and pick it up or drop it back to teh defenseman

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
BadHammy*

I found one cool technique that usually surprises people. When on the backhand and you need to win it straight back, hit their blade with your own and use it to push the puck back to your own mates. Essentially, you use the same motion as if you were trying to win it clean, except you swipe their blade straight toward you and let it push the puck back. This works best for me as a LH vs other LH's.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
Played winger before ,but now forced to play center. I'm getting killed on faceoffs and it has become very frustrating. Any tips or hints on what I should be trying to do? I'm righthanded as well.
Here you go!

First way....

1. Look to see if everyone on your team is set.
2. Make sure that your defensemen is lined up where you want him.
3. What the ref's hand...the one with the puck!
4. As he drops the puck, attack the other players shaft with the heel of your blade!
5. Pull puck back between your legs and not off to the side.
6. Do a 180 after the draw to slow down your opponent.
7. Do not try and shoot the puck on net if you are in the attacking zone.
8. If so, make sure you do it on the right face off.

Second way....

9. During the face off, place your stick on the ice.
10. Look at his blade to see where it at on the ice.
11. Watch the ref's hand with the puck.
12. At the point of release, move your blade to the heel of his stick.
13. Pull your blade forward so the blade comes off the ice.
14. Practice, practice, practice!!!!!

Hope this helps
Head coach

02-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Here you go!

First way....

1. Look to see if everyone on your team is set.
2. Make sure that your defensemen is lined up where you want him.
3. What the ref's hand...the one with the puck!
4. As he drops the puck, attack the other players shaft with the heel of your blade!
5. Pull puck back between your legs and not off to the side.
6. Do a 180 after the draw to slow down your opponent.
7. Do not try and shoot the puck on net if you are in the attacking zone.
8. If so, make sure you do it on the right face off.

Second way....

9. During the face off, place your stick on the ice.
10. Look at his blade to see where it at on the ice.
11. Watch the ref's hand with the puck.
12. At the point of release, move your blade to the heel of his stick.
13. Pull your blade forward so the blade comes off the ice.
14. Practice, practice, practice!!!!!

Hope this helps
Head coach
I've never been very good on face offs so thanks for the advice. I play defense now and do not take many but will try to remember this.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:39 AM
shoeshine boy

different things work for different people. for me it helps to get really, really low both in my stance and on the stick. also, there are some people that you just won't be able to beat clean. if you see that you can't beat someone just start tieing up their stick.
when we have new folks come in at center I always tell them: cheat until the ref tells you to stop. some refs will but most won't.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Steelhead16

Most refs outside of pro hockey don't drop the puck flat. I try and have my kids that aren't great at faceoffs attack the opponents stick instead of the puck. Instead of taking your stick forward to the puck, lift the opponents stick, stand up and sweep the puck back with your foot.
Winning a faceoff just means your team gets control of the puck. You don't have to win it yourself. You can tie up your opponent and let your wing come in and get the puck also. Unless you are in very competitive hockey most teams don't tie up their opponenent. Tell your wing what you are going to do and he should be able to break free for the puck.
One more thing that can give you an edge is watching from the bench. When you are on the bench watch what the other teams centers do in each zone. (#20 always goes backhand, #7 likes to push it forward, #12 always goes left). If you have an idea what they want to do you can counteract that. You spend 2/3 of the game on the bench and most players waste that time. Watching what others do will help you make quicker and better decisions when you are actually on the ice.
Good luck.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
noobman

Headcoach pretty much covered everything.

A lot of guys forget to throw their weight into faceoffs... they think it's all in the hands. Throw your weight in the direction that you're trying to pull the puck as you're turning in place... you'll win a lot more faceoffs.

If you find that you're getting beat on faceoffs a lot, go for the stick instead of the puck. Just get your stick under his and lift while you're turning (to box him out), then kick the puck to someone with your feet.

Of course, you could always do the Eric Lindros move and just bodycheck the guy off the faceoff

Also keep in mind that the position of a player's stick can indicate what he's planning. At the lower level, most guys will try to win the faceoff off of their backhand.

I had a brief stint at centre as a kid... my faceoffs were pretty solid for the level I was playing at, but I played a better game on the wing.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
GuitarAwesome

Headcoach hit it on the nail. I'm a winger as well, but I played center in junior, so I'm usually taking the important draws if I need to. One thing I cannot stress enough is low center of gravity. The closer you are to the ice, the less distance you have to cover, and the quicker you can snatch the puck. Don't go crazy like Mats Sundin who pretty much holds the blade, but get nice and low. Also, if you know the other guy is a good faceoff guy, you can always focus on tying him up so he doesnt win it instead, just make sure your wingers know this and are ready to jump in and help. Hope this helps.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
GuitarAwesome

Also, Fedorov was GREAT at pretending to win it on the backhand, the rotating his body and actually winning it on the forehand. This is something I do a few times to keep the guy guessing.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote