HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staios Hurts Dvorak

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
The thing is, Hemsky could simply have thought it was a problem with MacT this year. Now someone else has said he's not good enough. It COULD be the eye-opener he needs.
I think that we are starting to grasp at straws to justify the fact that our golden boy doesn't seem to be self motivated...I hope we see an improvement.... because no matter how skilled he is, if he doesn't apply it, then he isn't going to be worth a damn.

Old
04-24-2004, 12:34 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I can already see people turning on Hemsky in a number of ways, and I think it's terrible to see

Firstly, people seem to be partly blaming him for not making the playoffs. To me, this is tantamount to blaming Salmoleinen or Lynch for not making the playoffs. No team should pin their playoff hopes on a 20 year old, and if we are blaming him, then we have no real business being in the playoffs yet anyways. I think blame would better be pinned on guys like Smyth, Horcoff, and Brewer for the fact that they didn't show up until January.

Secondly they are thinking something is violently wrong with the fact that he only netted 34 points. I'm sorry, but there is one or two kids every year that can successfully score a tonne of points, and this is one of the reasons that guys like Nash and Kovalchuk go first in the draft, and guys like Hemsky go 13th. Most kids require years in the minors to learn skill, and mature to even crack an NHL team. The fact that he's produced 64 points before his 21st birthday is great to me.

Thirdly there is an attitude that he doesn't care. From what I saw this year, it was more the fact that he was getting shut down because he is still a kid, and could be pushed off the puck. Can we save the "he doesn't care" line at least until he has the physical tools to domiinate in the NHL?

Lastly, the kid scored 34 points this year. That is not terrible... in fact its 6th in scoring on the team. Sure, he sucked at the end, but there were loads of folks who reaked at the beggining of the year on the Oilers. Granted he was not very good defensively, and I have no problem with playing guys like Pisani (who scored fewer points by the way) ahead of him at the end of the year... but Hemsky is 20 friggin years old, and the fact that on a ppg basis, he outproduced Torres(22 years), Moreau(28 years), Pisani(27 years), Isbister(26 years), Oates(41 years), and Chimera(24 years) is still solid.

It seems to me, that this is what people expect from our 20 year old, offensive winger. Either solid two way play, like Pisani, who is 7 years older than Hemsky, or offensive numbers like Nash. I think we are not being realistic, and being way too hard on him.

Old
04-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
I can already see people turning on Hemsky in a number of ways, and I think it's terrible to see
I know it wasn't directed at me personnally, but just in case...I am not sour on Hemsky. We won't know for 3 or 4 years what he will become. The issues have to be looked at independent of each other, and analyzed for what they are. Hemsky didn't look good this season, and effort was one of the things I would have liked to see more of.

Quote:
Firstly, people seem to be partly blaming him for not making the playoffs. To me, this is tantamount to blaming Salmoleinen or Lynch for not making the playoffs. No team should pin their playoff hopes on a 20 year old, and if we are blaming him, then we have no real business being in the playoffs yet anyways. I think blame would better be pinned on guys like Smyth, Horcoff, and Brewer for the fact that they didn't show up until January.
20 guys make the playoffs or don't. Each cog in the wheel has to look in the mirror themselves to say that they gave everything they had. Take a look at the last 20 games from last year, and then look at this season. Hemsky regressed without a doubt.
Quote:
Secondly they are thinking something is violently wrong with the fact that he only netted 34 points. I'm sorry, but there is one or two kids every year that can successfully score a tonne of points, and this is one of the reasons that guys like Nash and Kovalchuk go first in the draft, and guys like Hemsky go 13th. Most kids require years in the minors to learn skill, and mature to even crack an NHL team. The fact that he's produced 64 points before his 21st birthday is great to me.
Thirty four points in of itself can be considered a success but the fact that there was so many games that Hemsky was a non factor as opposed to last season when there wasn't too many shifts that he looked like a non factor is the cause for concern.
Quote:
Thirdly there is an attitude that he doesn't care. From what I saw this year, it was more the fact that he was getting shut down because he is still a kid, and could be pushed off the puck. Can we save the "he doesn't care" line at least until he has the physical tools to domiinate in the NHL?
If in 2002-03 the kid could be a force, then in 2003-04 he is a non factor, there has to be a reason. He was getting shut down because his effort didn't match what it took to be successful. It isn't like he lost the tools over the summer.

Quote:
Lastly, the kid scored 34 points this year. That is not terrible... in fact its 6th in scoring on the team. Sure, he sucked at the end, but there were loads of folks who reaked at the beggining of the year on the Oilers. Granted he was not very good defensively, and I have no problem with playing guys like Pisani (who scored fewer points by the way) ahead of him at the end of the year... but Hemsky is 20 friggin years old, and the fact that on a ppg basis, he outproduced Torres(22 years), Moreau(28 years), Pisani(27 years), Isbister(26 years), Oates(41 years), and Chimera(24 years) is still solid.
If he scored 28 points and gave everything he had every shift, it would have been more successful. I didn't say that his year was an absolute travesty, but the fact that his sophmore year was unsuccessful, and his release from the Czech World Championship team is being attributed to intensity, then that starts to show a pattern. I would prefer to see that pattern eliminated immediately.

Quote:
It seems to me, that this is what people expect from our 20 year old, offensive winger. Either solid two way play, like Pisani, who is 7 years older than Hemsky, or offensive numbers like Nash. I think we are not being realistic, and being way too hard on him.
My expectations from Hemsky are the same as any other player. 100%, 100% of the time and play up to your capabilities. Hemsky didn't do that for the Oilers this year and didn't do it for the Czech team. It isn't being too hard on a player to say "Give 100%." That is all that is being asked.

Old
04-24-2004, 02:06 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

OK... we'll have to agree to disagree on his effort, although I have no insight into how he looks in practice with the Oilers. I've not heard many roumblings from MacT about his work ethic, but maybe I've not been paying attention. As for not looking motivated with the Czech team, that's fine with me, frankly I think he should be motivated for the Oilers, not the Czechs.

As for him looking unmotivated with the Oilers, I didn't think he was being paricularly lazy... I think he was being manhandled out their, but that's different than not trying.

Old
04-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Slats432

Quote:
OK... we'll have to agree to disagree on his effort, although I have no insight into how he looks in practice with the Oilers. I've not heard many roumblings from MacT about his work ethic, but maybe I've not been paying attention. As for not looking motivated with the Czech team, that's fine with me, frankly I think he should be motivated for the Oilers, not the Czechs.

As for him looking unmotivated with the Oilers, I didn't think he was being paricularly lazy... I think he was being manhandled out their, but that's different than not trying.
Well if it isn't effort then I would like to hear your opinion on the difference between Ales Hemsky at the end of last season and this season.

Old
04-24-2004, 02:19 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Well if it isn't effort then I would like to hear your opinion on the difference between Ales Hemsky at the end of last season and this season.
Two reasons: Firstly I think the end of his rookie season, he finished hot; he was playing above where he should have been, and where he had been most of the season. Actually on a ppg basis, his results this year are almost identical to his rookie season, the difference being that in his rookie campaign he finished well, whereas this year, he started well. As with any player, they slump and get hot, just as Semenov slumped this year, and I think MAB will slump next year.

Secondly:I think opponents are keying in on him a lot more. In the last half of his rookie season, and first half of this season, he made a lot of people look like fools, and now the opponents have figured out that if they just play the body, they can stop looking like fools.

Old
04-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Two reasons: Firstly I think the end of his rookie season, he finished hot; he was playing above where he should have been, and where he had been most of the season. Actually on a ppg basis, his results this year are almost identical to his rookie season, the difference being that in his rookie campaign he finished well, whereas this year, he started well. As with any player, they slump and get hot, just as Semenov slumped this year, and I think MAB will slump next year.

Secondly:I think opponents are keying in on him a lot more. In the last half of his rookie season, and first half of this season, he made a lot of people look like fools, and now the opponents have figured out that if they just play the body, they can stop looking like fools.
Well then oil slick, we can agree to disagree. Everytime I watched Hemsky this year he didn't seem to be moving his feet as fast as the year before, he didn't seem to fight for the puck like the year before. This year looked very forced and last year looked quite natural. I hope he has a good offseason.

Old
04-24-2004, 07:30 PM
jadeddog

i still think that hemsky will be good.... but i dont think he will ever be "great", and thats not bad..... in fact i would *love* for every oilers 1st round draft pick to turn out to be only good

Old
04-24-2004, 07:42 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i still think that hemsky will be good.... but i dont think he will ever be "great", and thats not bad..... in fact i would *love* for every oilers 1st round draft pick to turn out to be only good
yeah, but unfortunately, we have a team full of good players, but lack a truly great player to take us to the next level.

Old
04-24-2004, 07:53 PM
jadeddog

i dont think we have a team full of good players..... we have maybe 7-8 good players and a whole bunch of good thrid liners, but just because they are good 3rd line players does not mean they are then good players...... dvorak, york, smyth, brewer, hemsky, nedved and smith are all good players (though none of them are a great player IMO)

Closed Thread