HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Note To Chris Drury: Please Retire

View Poll Results: In the last 15 years..Where Do you Rate Drury as Captain of our Club?
The Best Over Messier, Leetch, Jagr 8 4.02%
2nd Best over Leetch and Jagr 4 2.01%
3rd Best over Leetch or Jagr 19 9.55%
The Worst 168 84.42%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-03-2010, 04:19 AM
skymachine

vCash: 500
What kind of ridiculous poll is this? What a no-brainer.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:24 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
He's not a great captain but honestly,If dru wasin't doing something right wouldn't torts already stripped him of it? (cmon were talking about torts here)

I'm not trying to defend him or anything, I'm just implying theres a reason why he's still captain and why so many players all over the league respect him so much.While he's supposed to "help the team more" you cant really blame EVERYTHING on him.He has a poor cast of players to work with,he has NO PLAYMAKERS on his lines and thats the first thing you need for a guy like drury.He obviously isin't worth 7mill but who is he to not take that money? Don't lie you'd take it 100 out of 100 times if that idiot slats offered it to you.

He's still a good useful player,I'm sure if drury's salary wasin't so inflated nobody would give a damn if he's scoring or not because his defensive work would make up for it.

It'll be intresting to see what happens in 2 years,If drury re-signs with the rangers for a much lower salary,what will everyone think of him then?

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:44 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
He's not a great captain but honestly,If dru wasin't doing something right wouldn't torts already stripped him of it? (cmon were talking about torts here)

I'm not trying to defend him or anything, I'm just implying theres a reason why he's still captain and why so many players all over the league respect him so much.While he's supposed to "help the team more" you cant really blame EVERYTHING on him.He has a poor cast of players to work with,he has NO PLAYMAKERS on his lines and thats the first thing you need for a guy like drury.He obviously isin't worth 7mill but who is he to not take that money? Don't lie you'd take it 100 out of 100 times if that idiot slats offered it to you.

He's still a good useful player,I'm sure if drury's salary wasin't so inflated nobody would give a damn if he's scoring or not because his defensive work would make up for it.

It'll be intresting to see what happens in 2 years,If drury re-signs with the rangers for a much lower salary,what will everyone think of him then?
Salary aside, and nyquill personality aside, he's a horrible captain. Simply put, he DOES NOT LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

See: Ryan Callahan, Vinny Prospal, Marian Gaborik, Sean Avery, Brandon Dubinsky (sometimes)

See: Most captains in the league.

Then see: Chris Drury

Notice a difference? All of Drury's shifts look the same. The other players mentioned are capable of raising their game and going all out to get the puck back or to win a board battle. Where is Drury's hustle? See: the shorthanded goal last night. Drury looked like he was chasing Kopitar down (which is why Jokinen turned to take the other forward out of the play), then Dru just STOPPED and coasted behind him. Wouldn't want you to tire yourself Chris! Gotta save some energy for your weekend plans. He's supposed to be setting the standard as the captain and he simply does not do it. Jokinen's been here 1 game and has shown more passion on the ice.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:48 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Guys seriously, this is getting tiring. It's time to deal with it, Drury is there for 2 more years, no matter what. You can transfer all your anger, your frustration, your hate on him, that won't change anything. We got a good trend going on with the Sather thing last week, we're breaking that up already. I guess it's too much asking to ask for consistency. We can't sweep all the problems this team has in a heartbeat. Redden's contract, and, at a lesser level, Rozsivals' are more problematic for us right now. THESE ARE PRIORITIES. I'm sorry but Drury's captaincy comes after. Do you really think removing the letter from his jersey will suddenly makes this team play a lot better? Seriously? One step at a time.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:03 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
Guys seriously, this is getting tiring. It's time to deal with it, Drury is there for 2 more years, no matter what. You can transfer all your anger, your frustration, your hate on him, that won't change anything. We got a good trend going on with the Sather thing last week, we're breaking that up already. I guess it's too much asking to ask for consistency. We can't sweep all the problems this team has in a heartbeat. Redden's contract, and, at a lesser level, Rozsivals' are more problematic for us right now. THESE ARE PRIORITIES. I'm sorry but Drury's captaincy comes after. Do you really think removing the letter from his jersey will suddenly makes this team play a lot better? Seriously? One step at a time.
a) Probably not, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to have it stripped, and it may take some pressure off him and help HIS game.

b) Look at what Carolina's done since taking the C from BrindAmour and giving it to Staal.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:05 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
When your 7+ million dollar forward with a NMC is on pace for eleven goals and less than 30 points you need to seriously consider a buyout.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:15 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
When your 7+ million dollar forward with a NMC is on pace for eleven goals and less than 30 points you need to seriously consider a buyout.
this is so true it hurts. the drury experiment as captain isn't really the problem. the drury experiment as a 7m dollar player is the true failed experiment. it's not going to get better guys, we have a huge portion of our cap invested in a guy that is putting up the points we should be getting from a developing prospect making league minimum. keep in mind, if he has an OUTSTANDING finish to this season he might hit 15g and 40pts. this isn't going to get any better guys.

Drury isn't going to retire, and he can't be sent to hartford or EVER be traded (which has nothing at all to do with his NMC). I can't possibly imagine a scenario where Slats can tell Dolan that he needs to hand drury his cash now, and still keep his job. but it is painfully obvious that's what needs to happen.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:26 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

I wouldn't be opposed to the coach "giving" that so praised and important letter to another player - Sorry I don't like the"stripping" thing, that's brutal and a lack of respect for the player Drury once was and the man Drury is, so I'll go with the change of captaincy. But I don't see it happening right now, not the way Tortorella and Drury kinda work closely together last summer to put this team together (How brilliant, isn't it?). Maybe next summer, or the one after, like SJ did it with Thornton and Marleau but not right now. Plus to whom we would give it? Dubinsky? Callahan? Please, let the kids find their game first before to give them that kind of responsibility.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:37 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to the coach "giving" that so praised and important letter to another player - Sorry I don't like the"stripping" thing, that's brutal and a lack of respect for the player Drury once was and the man Drury is, so I'll go with the change of captaincy. But I don't see it happening right now, not the way Tortorella and Drury kinda work closely together last summer to put this team together (How brilliant, isn't it?). Maybe next summer, ot the one after, like SJ did it with Thornton and Marleau but not right now. Plus to whom we would give it? Dubinsky? Callahan? Please, let the kids find their game first before to give them that kind of responsibility.
i agree to a point. it certainly seems like drury is a really good guy, and doesn't deserve to be humiliated at all. but this is pro sports, and drury is a man, i'm sure he knows better than everyone that a change should come. think of how he feels with that C on his sweater, while he's barely able to help this team at all. it probably feels like a bad joke at this point, and a reminder of that 7m he signed to. let the guy play the game without that hangin over his head ok?

as to who should get it, well that depends, are we serious about a playoff push? if so, gabby needs to wear the C. Gabby is getting it done however the hell he can out there, and the team should be looking to him for inspiration. he's doing it right, skating hard, pushing defenses, pk'ng, back checking hard, and has carried this team on his shoulders through what would have been an absolute nightmare.

if we're looking toward the future, it should be on staal's sweater. 82 games per year Staal is shift after shift grinding it out, or flying alongside our opponents best players. in the playoffs, he absolutely went to war with AO, for 7 games. trading big hits, trading great plays in his own end, and giving just as much as he took in front of his own net. if i told you 2 years ago staal would be that guy for us, you'd have signed up for that without hesitation. he plays strong and with heart. he never loses a battle through lack of effort, and not many beat him through talent alone, as he's quite talented himself.

i made a brief video a few weeks back on staal, where i only included clips of him versus those who it's imperative he be better than any given night. Parise, AO, Malkin, Crosby, richards and carter, lecavalier and st. louis. i could've made the movie an hour long if i wanted with the amount of great clips against those guys i had of him.

Old
02-03-2010, 05:47 AM
bumrusherer

I vote the worst because of peer pressure

Serious question here. Can you only be a good captain if you are one of the best players on the team?

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:57 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post

Serious question here. Can you only be a good captain if you are one of the best players on the team?
imo, no, that isn't a requirement. you can be the captain as the heart and soul of the team. a guy that's got it done in the past, and knows what this league is all about makes a great captain for younger teams.

This team needs a captain that they can turn to as: ya, that guy is doing it right. working hard, putting up points, willing the team to win, and refusing to allow those around him to hang his head in self -pity.

Old
02-03-2010, 07:37 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Mr Invisibilty cant get off this team quick enough for me, he is a glorified Blair Betts making $7m and i cant remember a time when he has came up big for this team.

It sickens me that for the past few years all we have heard about is his intangibles, well, his intangibles have done **** all for this team and the team is like a mirror image of its captain. No skill, boring, no hockey sense and clueless.

The day when he is off this team is the day we can finally start to move forward, of course the next step is Redden. Then again i wouldnt be surprised to see him get an extension because of how ****** this franchise is run.

Buh Bye Captain Clutch the day cant come soon enough

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:42 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

centering the 4th line is sad.

capt quaalude needs a buyout.

let him do the prospal thing, take his money and go someplace else and take faceoffs and kill penalties.

given rozy and reddens situation, im beginning to believe drury is the guy whos doing the most damage.

cant we just make our best player the captain ?

capt gaborik

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:43 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
If Drury is Drury he roofs that last shot with .4 seconds left in the game to tie it.

He was right there open for the shot.
I am just happy that it was Drury's childhood dream to play for the Rangers instead of the Kings. On the other hand the Kings were Drew Doughty's favorite team when he was a kid. That worked out much better.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:54 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I've seldom seen a player's offensive game fall off a cliff like Drury's.

He's not done as a player, but following trends, it sure looks like he might be done a scorer.
That about sums it up.

People can blame the coach, the players around him, the weather, but its comes down to Drury. Hes looks 3 steps behind the play in the offensive zone.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

$7 million 4th line center wko kills penalties with no move clause. Whenever the Rangers contracts are brought up,everyone says the Rangers like Drury`s leadership and aren't looking to move him. Pierre Lebrun has said that. If Sather could move him,would they? Drury agrees and the deal can be made. NHL execs have a different view than the fans.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:33 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I am just happy that it was Drury's childhood dream to play for the Rangers instead of the Kings. On the other hand the Kings were Drew Doughty's favorite team when he was a kid. That worked out much better.
Yeah, maybe you guys will actually make the playoffs this season and maybe... just maybe you might also win a round!

I mostly agree about Drury though. Last year it was a bunch of players with crippling contracts playing up to their average career numbers. This year we have players with crippling contracts all playing like they're on their last legs.

That's why no matter who we add to the team this season I just don't think they'll make the playoffs. The good on this team just can't make up for all the rubbish like they kind of did in previous years

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:39 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
He's too weak mentally. That's his biggest problem. Absolutely not captain material. I don't think he was ever a good leader. People just assumed he was (myself included, admittedly so) because he came up with some clutch goals and was solid on both sides of the puck. He does not know how to raise his game on a shift by shift basis. People have been calling him a "7 million dollar Blair Betts." Sadly, it's an accurate assessment. He brings nothing that Betts doesn't. A year ago I might've said his shot seperates him from Bettsy, but I can't say that anymore. Very sad.
i cant argue with his lack of production, but LOVE how you know how "mentally weak" he is

the justification is probably some press question you heard him answer or "you can just tell" right?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Mr Invisibilty cant get off this team quick enough for me, he is a glorified Blair Betts making $7m and i cant remember a time when he has came up big for this team.

It sickens me that for the past few years all we have heard about is his intangibles, well, his intangibles have done **** all for this team and the team is like a mirror image of its captain. No skill, boring, no hockey sense and clueless.

The day when he is off this team is the day we can finally start to move forward, of course the next step is Redden. Then again i wouldnt be surprised to see him get an extension because of how ****** this franchise is run.

Buh Bye Captain Clutch the day cant come soon enough
Drury is still a good hockey player... His salary cap number is what hurts.... Ask Brian Burke what he thinks of Chris Drury... Obviously, Burke thinks Drury is a very good NHL hockey player to make team USA..... No?

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Drury is still a good hockey player... His salary cap number is what hurts.... Ask Brian Burke what he thinks of Chris Drury... Obviously, Burke thinks Drury is a very good NHL hockey player to make team USA..... No?
Very good hockey player? "He's still a hockey player" is the biggest compliment I can give him right now. He has 5 points in his last 20 or so games, and three of them came in the blowouts in Montreal and Tampa. Imo he should not have made the team based on his play this season alone

edit: he has 0 points in his last 7 games and was a -5 in that time. Splendid hockey player

Old
02-03-2010, 09:38 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Salary aside, and nyquill personality aside, he's a horrible captain. Simply put, he DOES NOT LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

See: Ryan Callahan, Vinny Prospal, Marian Gaborik, Sean Avery, Brandon Dubinsky (sometimes)

See: Most captains in the league.

Then see: Chris Drury

Notice a difference? All of Drury's shifts look the same. The other players mentioned are capable of raising their game and going all out to get the puck back or to win a board battle. Where is Drury's hustle? See: the shorthanded goal last night. Drury looked like he was chasing Kopitar down (which is why Jokinen turned to take the other forward out of the play), then Dru just STOPPED and coasted behind him. Wouldn't want you to tire yourself Chris! Gotta save some energy for your weekend plans. He's supposed to be setting the standard as the captain and he simply does not do it. Jokinen's been here 1 game and has shown more passion on the ice.
Realize that the topic basically says " **** you drury, go retire "

I wasin't debating about the captaincy.

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
greasch#4

Chris Drury is basically the '08 version of Blair Betts at this point and I'd rather have the '09/'10 version of Betts back over him... In short, Drury is a liability with a ridiculous contract and an undeserved "C".

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:47 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Yeah, maybe you guys will actually make the playoffs this season and maybe... just maybe you might also win a round!

I mostly agree about Drury though. Last year it was a bunch of players with crippling contracts playing up to their average career numbers. This year we have players with crippling contracts all playing like they're on their last legs.

That's why no matter who we add to the team this season I just don't think they'll make the playoffs. The good on this team just can't make up for all the rubbish like they kind of did in previous years
I think as long as the Kings stay the course that they will be a playoff team year in and year out for many years to come, and a cup contender in their peak years. It took AEG a long time to figure it out that the best way to build a team is through the draft and developing home grown talent, but it seems that they finally did.

Signing or trading for players like Drury is exactly what kept LA in mediocrity for so many years. Better to suck for a short time and build a foundation through the draft.

I don't have a bone to pick with Ranger fans. Sorry to see Sather doing it all wrong in the country's biggest media market. An LA - NY cup final some day would be great, but that looks like a pipe dream.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Garv23

Gee, so many new and refreshingly original posts about Drury!

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:56 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

Signing or trading for players like Drury is exactly what kept LA in mediocrity for so many years. Better to suck for a short time and build a foundation through the draft.
No offense, but sucking for a long time was really the only option left. Oh well, at least you guys did that right.