HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

cup finals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2004, 06:57 AM
  #1
phil76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: atlanta
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
cup finals

who would you like to see in the final?

for me
i would love a mtl vs calgary battle

to take the stanley cup from them

since they took it away from us in 1989

go habs go

habs in 6 against tampa

phil76 is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 07:02 AM
  #2
Guy LaFleur
Registered User
 
Guy LaFleur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
I want to see Calgary and Montreal too. If not that, Montreal - Colorado.

Guy LaFleur is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 07:38 AM
  #3
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Truthfully as long as it's Montreal vs someone, I will be extremely happy, but I guess if I got to pick the opponent from the remaining west teams I would take Calgary as well.

An all Canadian final, not including the leafs would be cool, and it would hopefully make interest in the game south of the boarder dip a little more.

Darz is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 08:39 AM
  #4
Lewis63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: A stick lenght away
Country: Canada
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Truthfully as long as it's Montreal vs someone, I will be extremely happy, but I guess if I got to pick the opponent from the remaining west teams I would take Calgary as well.

An all Canadian final, not including the leafs would be cool, and it would hopefully make interest in the game south of the boarder dip a little more.
Is Toronto still considered Canadian?

Gary Bettman would go nuts if it would turn out to be Flames vs Habs hehehe, two canadian teams in the finals (considering the mid to low pay rolls of both flames and habs)

Lewis63 is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 08:49 AM
  #5
Catala
Registered User
 
Catala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Catala
back when we played Colorado, one player on the avs side said he wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal come out of the east to have a Colorado/Montreal final.

i'm going for this. But like most of the canadians (except for Toronto's addicts), i really much like to see Calgary pretty far.

Catala is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 09:37 AM
  #6
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
Is Toronto still considered Canadian?
Technically, I believe it still is.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
Gary Bettman would go nuts if it would turn out to be Flames vs Habs
another reason to hope for that final!!!

Darz is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:04 AM
  #7
Aarex
Registered User
 
Aarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 500
I don't really want to win the cup...I want my pick!

Aarex is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:14 AM
  #8
Lewis63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: A stick lenght away
Country: Canada
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
I don't really want to win the cup...I want my pick!
uh? what are you talking about?

Lewis63 is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:20 AM
  #9
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
I don't really want to win the cup...I want my pick!

Someone ban this guy !!!

habfan4 is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:21 AM
  #10
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil76
who would you like to see in the final?
I will also go for Montreal - Calgary. (Just for the Canadian content and upset value, not (for any overly-sensitive Flames fans out there) because I regard the Flames as our easiest opponent. )

GB's matchup: hmmm... Philly - Detroit would be a pretty classic one.

New wave matchup: Tampa Bay - San Jose... can you imagine? And yet, very possible.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:23 AM
  #11
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
I don't really want to win the cup...I want my pick!
Why do you want your pick? So you can build a cup winner?

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:25 AM
  #12
Aarex
Registered User
 
Aarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 500
I may be wrong (and correct me if I am wrong) but don't we get 30th pick if we win the cup whereas if we don't win we get 18th?

I want to win the cup for 10 years straight, not win once and then lose the next 9 (New York Rangers anyone?)

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd be a crazed fan if we won...but mmmm future.


Last edited by Aarex: 04-23-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Aarex is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:29 AM
  #13
Lewis63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: A stick lenght away
Country: Canada
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
I may be wrong but don't we get 30th pick if we win the cup whereas if we don't win we get 18th?

I want to win the cup for 10 years straight, not win once and then lose the next 9 (New York Rangers anyone?)

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd be a crazed fan if we won...but mmmm future.
oh my god you are serious!!!

I don't think there's such a difference between 30th and 18th in this year's draft...I would rather win it this year (cup) and get 30th pick than not win and get the 18th...who is your "Star Player" that habs would get with their 18th anyway???

Lewis63 is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:31 AM
  #14
Aarex
Registered User
 
Aarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 500
18th has alot more trade value then 30th

Aarex is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:40 AM
  #15
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
18th has alot more trade value then 30th
Your crazy! cômpletely insane! who the hell cares about the 18th pick's trade value??? You build a franchise in order to win the cup what would a trade or an 18th pick give us? A player! Why? To get closer to the cup, theres no way, in todays NHL, that a team can win many cups in a row. Its not like we didnt already have many prospects, wake up man.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 10:47 AM
  #16
Aarex
Registered User
 
Aarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 500
Now just because someones opinion is different then yours does not make them crazy, it just makes them have a different opinion. While we are very deep in prospects and let me reaffirm this I want to us to remain deep in prospects What happens when all of our prospects turn into players? Then we will look like the leafs do now...with no future. In the years to come we will have players with enough skill to be able to trade for picks (dropping salary) and remain deep with prospects, however right now we do not have this not only because we have very few star players, but because the star players we have right now we cannot afford to let go. Its a revolving process and a process that we should not avoid. And lets not forget This team is still Rebuilding

Aarex is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 11:00 AM
  #17
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
Now just because someones opinion is different then yours does not make them crazy, it just makes them have a different opinion. While we are very deep in prospects and let me reaffirm this I want to us to remain deep in prospects What happens when all of our prospects turn into players? Then we will look like the leafs do now...with no future. In the years to come we will have players with enough skill to be able to trade for picks (dropping salary) and remain deep with prospects, however right now we do not have this not only because we have very few star players, but because the star players we have right now we cannot afford to let go. Its a revolving process and a process that we should not avoid. And lets not forget This team is still Rebuilding
Fair enough. I just think the difference between 18th and 30th is pretty marginal compared to the value, say, of having Ribs and Ryder and Komi and Theodore and all those guys go through a Cup run.

Good scouting (or good luck!) can allow you to pick a player with the 30th pick who turns out to be better than whoever went 18th. If we were talking about a top-5 pick here, maybe I could see your point. But 18th-30th doesn't make that much difference.

Personally, I would trade the #1 overall pick for a Stanley Cup any day. I would even pause and consider trading the 2004 and 2005 #1 overall picks (Ovechkin and Crosby!) for a Cup this year. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush and all that...

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 11:33 AM
  #18
Lewis63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: A stick lenght away
Country: Canada
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush
Never heard that one before


I just don't see your point Rydified. It's your opinion and your allowed to stand by it. I'm still hoping for Mr. Stanley though...

Lewis63 is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 12:55 PM
  #19
Bud The Spud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: the dark side
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,273
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
I'd love to see a Montreal vs. Calgary final.

Bud The Spud* is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 01:01 PM
  #20
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,960
vCash: 500
Montreal Colorado would be sweet

VAN-HAB is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 02:30 PM
  #21
Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask.
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
I don't really want to win the cup...I want my pick!
What???

Hey, I respect your opinion and everything, but that is a crazy stance you got going there. Winning the Cup is what it's all about, who cares about prospects? Especially the difference between a 30th pick and an 18th. Don't you think that the benefit the team gets from having it's players win the Cup and getting all that great playoff experience far outweighs moving up 12 spots in the draft?

I mean look at how many teams trade away great prospects to have a shot at a Cup. Even if we did build and get a great team, there's no assurances it will bring us a Cup. (see Ottawa) We're going to be a good team for years to come and a 30th pick instead of an 18th is not going to break us.

Habber is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 02:43 PM
  #22
English Hab
Registered User
 
English Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ma USA & Hornsea UK
Country: England
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Well the very first live Habs game i saw was in Feb this year.. between the flames and Habs.... it was a good game and a tremendous atmosphere.... Therefore i'd love to see a cup final Flames Habs like so many other people.. I thought i'd give some reasons too...

5. Cowgirls look hot in May!!!!
4. Prove to people that we never once have even talked about trading Perreault for Gaulthier... hahaha!!!
3. Canadien final... where the game belongs... sorry to you american fans
2. P**s Bettman off no end!!!
1. Payback for '89

GO GO!!!!

English Hab is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 02:53 PM
  #23
English Hab
Registered User
 
English Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ma USA & Hornsea UK
Country: England
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
Now just because someones opinion is different then yours does not make them crazy, it just makes them have a different opinion. While we are very deep in prospects and let me reaffirm this I want to us to remain deep in prospects What happens when all of our prospects turn into players? Then we will look like the leafs do now...with no future. In the years to come we will have players with enough skill to be able to trade for picks (dropping salary) and remain deep with prospects, however right now we do not have this not only because we have very few star players, but because the star players we have right now we cannot afford to let go. Its a revolving process and a process that we should not avoid. And lets not forget This team is still Rebuilding
I can understand what your saying.. but okay... listen to what i've got to say.. lets go with you idea alright of the pick instead of the cup.... We get the 18th pick... Great job the Habs select the best player available at that point... we put him in a farm... okay.. got me so far... and then........ low and behold... he turns out to be a stinker.... Sorry you just chose him instead of a cup.... now listen to this theory... we win cup!!!! YIPPEE we draft 30th... player goes to minors... becuse we've got the cup he is busting his left testicle to get a shot with the big team and play with those players who put montreal back on the hockey map.. players who are now held even highly as being some of the few who have.. not anymore those who have not!!!

Yeah now i know it doesn' exaclty always pan out that way... However with good development and a good feeling in an organisation a 30th pick can go far, positive influences and atmosphere... nd i know that your probably gonna say that then your 18th pick is gonna be the guy who wants to bring the cup to montreal.... well hello.. where would that leave Koivu 21st pick 1993?????

I'd go with the cup everyday....

GO GO!!!!

English Hab is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 03:08 PM
  #24
Aarex
Registered User
 
Aarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 500
Let me clarify something that you people have been missing since people keep replying to a dead issue

#1 I would LOVE To see my habs win the cup.

#2 (minor) All I am saying is that 18th pick has alot more trade value then 30th. and that 18th pick could turn into a superstar for all we know...Or it could turn into garbage. However we probably have the best scouting system in the league and I trust AS and co to make great choices.

Reguardless of if by some miracle (reality people) we win the cup I will be a crazed fan as I have stated before. If we don't win, I won't be upset because I know That within 5 years that cup will have our names on it again...with alot more names to come. We arn't suppose to even be in the playoffs and you guys are acting like we have already won the cup...lets take it one game at a time.

Now the final matchup I would like to see would be Calgary Vs Montreal (Go Canada)

However Chances are it will be Either Tampa bay or Philly VS Detroit or Colorado.


Last edited by Aarex: 04-23-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Aarex is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 03:08 PM
  #25
Lewis63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: A stick lenght away
Country: Canada
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Hab
he is busting his left testicle to get a shot with the big team and play with those players who put montreal back on the hockey map
Who wouldn't bust his left testicle just to get a spot with the habs ???

Lewis63 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.