HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Jokinen & Cullen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2010, 01:08 PM
  #26
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,912
vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
Safe to say I'd be DeVito.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
  #27
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get
 
impeach estaalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,574
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I realize that the speculation in this thread is a dead horse now, but I wanted to talk about this line of thinking:



There has to be a qualifier on this statement. It's just pretty darn silly to make such a grand statement without it. For instance, would you want Rutherford fired if he traded Jokinen for...oh I dunno, how about Jordan Eberle? Any really promising young talent...maybe Colton Teubert, since he's been the topic of discussion lately?

The point is everyone has their price, and to say that JR should be fired simply for trading Jokinen ignores that simple reality. C'mon folks...let's be reasonable here.
Agreed, which I why I find the whole talk of "untouchables" to be a bit ridiculous. Brandon Sutter is allegedly an untouchable, but do you think JR would say "No deal! He's untouchable, LOL!!!" if Pittsburgh called and offered us Jordan Staal and a 1st rounder for him? Not that it is likely to happen, but there's always the chance of someone out there waiting to overpay.

It would take a lot to get Jokinen considering his production combined with his low salary, but he is definitely not "untouchable" or in the "fire JR if he gets traded" category. And neither is anyone else given the right deal.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
  #28
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I realize that the speculation in this thread is a dead horse now, but I wanted to talk about this line of thinking:



There has to be a qualifier on this statement. It's just pretty darn silly to make such a grand statement without it. For instance, would you want Rutherford fired if he traded Jokinen for...oh I dunno, how about Jordan Eberle? Any really promising young talent...maybe Colton Teubert, since he's been the topic of discussion lately?

The point is everyone has their price, and to say that JR should be fired simply for trading Jokinen ignores that simple reality. C'mon folks...let's be reasonable here.
Yes, if some GM wants to make a ridiculous offer, then JR would take it, but C'mon, that is also ignoring a simple reality. Those types of deals don't come along. (other than Jack Johnson for Tim Gleason ).

The point is that it is VERY unlikely (especially given his history, being on Waivers last year, etc..) that the Canes would get anything back for Jokinen that would come close to the value he has for the Canes unless there are some very big extenuating circumstances. That is more of a reality.

He is by no means untouchable..but the chance of getting an deal where the value is close to his value to the Canes is unlikely

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
  #29
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait
 
imayagainknowanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
There has to be a qualifier on this statement. It's just pretty darn silly to make such a grand statement without it. For instance, would you want Rutherford fired if he traded Jokinen for...oh I dunno, how about Jordan Eberle? Any really promising young talent...maybe Colton Teubert, since he's been the topic of discussion lately?

The point is everyone has their price, and to say that JR should be fired simply for trading Jokinen ignores that simple reality. C'mon folks...let's be reasonable here.

I will take Jussi Jokinen, top 6 winger, two-way game, capable for 25 goals and at least 30 assist, great on PP over overrated prospect(s).

We finally have a winger to play with Staal. Also, Jokinen can contribute no matter when you will put him. This and next season Jokinen will put 90-100 point for us and he made 1.7 per year. God, Chad ****in Larose, 25 point player, made Jokinen money .

Sorry but people loves to overrated prospects. Jokinen over Teubert any day of the week . Teubert is one year away from league, Jokinen soon will entire prime.

Stop living in simulators and games. This is our teams, this is our core. Jokinen and Sutter are part of the core for next two-three years at least. No one GM will call to Jimmy to offers him 1st, top prospests, Jordan Staal and etc. This things don't happen.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:16 PM
  #30
faulkingdynamic
J Troll
 
faulkingdynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 500
i would hardly call a guy who is a UFA after next season a core guy.....especially with the raise he will be due if he puts up the numbers you suggest. Jokinen isnt signed long term, in fact he might be a Jussi rental piece to trade at next seasons deadline.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:26 PM
  #31
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait
 
imayagainknowanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 500
I'm ready to bet Jussi will stay here. Even with discount but he will stay here. Rutheford is crazy if he let him go... wait, one of our overrated prospect like Bowman will get Jokinen spot?

He will get raise but he won't going to take more than 4 mil. Jimmy loves to overpay, he will do it with Jussi too. Similar to Ruutu contract, the difference is Jussi Jokinen is better hockey player than Ruutu.


imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
  #32
faulkingdynamic
J Troll
 
faulkingdynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
I'm ready to bet Jussi will stay here. Even with discount but he will stay here. Rutheford is crazy if he let him go... wait, one of our overrated prospect like Bowman will get Jokinen spot?

He will get raise but he won't going to take more than 4 mil. Jimmy loves to overpay, he will do it with Jussi too. Similar to Ruutu contract, the difference is Jussi Jokinen is better hockey player than Ruutu.

puff puff give

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:42 PM
  #33
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
he won't going to take more than 4 mil.
If Jokinen gets anywhere close to 4 million, JR should be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
puff puff give
I can has fantasy, plz?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:49 PM
  #34
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait
 
imayagainknowanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
If Jokinen gets anywhere close to 4 million, JR should be fired.
Let's see.

Rutherford gives Ruutu a three-year contract worth $11.4 million ($3 million in 2009-10, $4 million in 2010-11, $4.4 million in 2011-12) for 65 points in 96 regular games. But first, Jimmy gives a one year contract to Ruutu to prove he can stay healthy and be valuable to team.

Jokinen since he join Carolina - 80 games, 52 points. Big playoffs performance with 11 points.



Yes, he will get similiar contract if JR wants to keep him.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
  #35
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
That comparison would be valid if Jokinen was also among the league leaders in hits, not just for forwards, but for players all together.

To be honest, Jokinen's production puts him right in the wheelhouse for a $2.5 million salary when he comes back up, but it's still too far away to even merit discussion at this point. But he is very young still despite popular opinion that he's part of the "old guard", and will be part of the rebuilding process.

He's happy, productive, and valuable. He's our new Cory Stillman to a degree.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:41 PM
  #36
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 19,957
vCash: 500
I don't think Jokinen is a better player than Ruutu. He's probably a smarter player and more fundamentally sound but Ruutu has more high end talent, not to mention he brings a big physical presence also. As well as Jokinen has played this season, does he really have a long term top 6 position here? I'm not totally sure, but if we give him 3+ million dollars on a multi year contract he better a long term option in our top 6, for that kind of money.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
  #37
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
That comparison would be valid if Jokinen was also among the league leaders in hits, not just for forwards, but for players all together.

To be honest, Jokinen's production puts him right in the wheelhouse for a $2.5 million salary when he comes back up, but it's still too far away to even merit discussion at this point. But he is very young still despite popular opinion that he's part of the "old guard", and will be part of the rebuilding process.

He's happy, productive, and valuable. He's our new Cory Stillman to a degree.
Yeah..I agree with Vagrant. You can't just look at point totals when comparing Ruutu and Jokinen. That said, Jussi is (as Vagrant says)..happy, productive and valuable.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:21 PM
  #38
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,912
vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I don't think Jokinen is a better player than Ruutu. He's probably a smarter player and more fundamentally sound but Ruutu has more high end talent, not to mention he brings a big physical presence also. As well as Jokinen has played this season, does he really have a long term top 6 position here? I'm not totally sure, but if we give him 3+ million dollars on a multi year contract he better a long term option in our top 6, for that kind of money.
Jussi is a nice 2nd line winger, but that's about it. He can play 1st line on a temporary basis if he has good chemistry with the other first liners (which he has with Staal and Ruutu), but otherwise should be a 2nd liner/PP weapon. You don't pay those guys 3.5 million plus a season. Honestly if we give Jussi the Samsonov contract, assuming Jussi has another season like this one, we'd be good to go. Personally I think he'll fit somewhere into the 2.75 to 3.0 million price range which is about right for what he brings.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.