HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Downie

Old
02-03-2010, 01:50 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Downie has always had amazing board work, and playmaking.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
mm6492

John Carllson + Steve Downie >>>> Matt Carle

It is always easier to look back

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:48 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
No one is saying Asham is better (well, I'm not). Just saying that he's a great guy to have in the lineup. I'd love to get Downie back, but there's no way Tampa lets him go at this point.

How much fun would it be to have Hartnell, Carcillo and Downie on the same team? All we'd need is Kaleta and Avery to play defense and we could have the all-*******s line
Whether or not anyone is saying Asham is better wasnt the point, the post I quoted was whether Downie would replace Asham in the lineup and I take Downie over him in a heartbeat. Asham is a good gut to have in the lineup, on your 4th line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
On a good team like yours? You mean the one that is a whole 2 points up on TB? And Downie on the PP is obviously doing its job. The TB PP is over 25% in the last month or so and is 8th in the league overall and moving up, and a lot of that is due to Downies ability to win the puck to get it set up.

Downie has been great this year and I think we still havent seen the best from him. I think he will break 50 points next season and 20 goals.

He is also not a byproduct of VL4. In fact if VL4 could finish these days, Downie would probably have another 10+ assists. Just last night Downie fed a perfect pass to St Louis for an easy tap in goal but St Louis wasnt ready for it and it went right by him because he thought Downie was going to shoot.

Ive said it before in other main board threads but Downie is one of the, if not THE, best in the league along the boards and coming up with the puck to make a play from a crowd.

A lot of his PIMs have been due to reputation and wouldnt have been called on other players, a lot are fights in which most Id say most have been justified. Theres only been a few instances where I say WTF Downie why did you take that penalty.

Tocchet has been great with him and from a TB perspective that trade was full of win for us.
He was good along the boards as a rookie. Something we could use on this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post

I take him over Carle in a heartbeat, but I know why that trade was made. We needed dmen at the time since Homer completely screwed our defense the offseason before that.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Downie has 19 ES points. On our team he wouldn't get close to any special teams play. His 28 points look great on Tampa but on a good team he wouldn't be anywhere close to that. I still think he's a solid player, but he wouldn't be outshining too many of our bottom 6 guys were he on this team. But he does have more upside than most of them, I will grant that. And Lavi knows how to keep the chaos to an appropriate level.
Val, I dont necessarily disagree with your point, but I think its ********.....Everyone should be given a chance on a team to see what they contribute. In the past couple years with our forward depth I would completely agree with this, but this year we have Powe playing in the top 6, you mean to tell me Downie wouldnt get a chance there above him???

Old
02-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
On a good team like yours? You mean the one that is a whole 2 points up on TB?
I agree. Your team does suck.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:48 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Whether or not anyone is saying Asham is better wasnt the point, the post I quoted was whether Downie would replace Asham in the lineup and I take Downie over him in a heartbeat. Asham is a good gut to have in the lineup, on your 4th line.
hah, you quoted me too, so i wasn't sure who you were talking to.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Steve Downie is in the perfect situation where he is. He's getting good ice time and playing with good teammates. More important, he's getting good instruction from a coach who was considered a Downie-type player when he came out of junior. Tocchet has managed to get through to Downie and you can see how much more reserved Downie is as a player. He'll still fight, but he won't go crazy the way he has in the past.

With that being said, Philadelphia would not be a good situation for him. The style of game that the Flyers play is considerably more up tempo than the style Tampa Bay plays. As well, Downie would have considerable trouble cracking the top 9 here and that would mean he'd be playing on the fourth line. It would be a dog fight between him and Carcillo and at this point, Carcillo wins the spot because his skating is much, much, much better.

I like Downie, but Philadelphia just wasn't a good fit for him.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
FlyerX

I thought Downie got some truly irresponsible criticism from the Panaccios in the local media. It was obvious he was on his way to being a decent NHLer to anyone who knew the game. Good to see it happening in Tampa.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:22 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I still hate him.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I still hate him.
I far from hate him, but I never got all the hype from him.

I did love him laughing as he was kicking the **** out Clarkson.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I would like him a lot next to JVR and Giroux.

Even so, I'd rather have Matt Carle.
My thoughts exactly.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:38 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Downie and Carcillo are on my 4th line in NHL 10

Bash Brothers FTW!

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:43 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
If Downie and Carcillo were on the same line AND Downie had a mustache......

I can't even process it.

02-03-2010, 07:47 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:

Eminger trade has nothing to do with this trade. Trading a first for Eminger was awful. Markstrom/Carlson would be sweet

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:54 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Steve Downie is in the perfect situation where he is. He's getting good ice time and playing with good teammates. More important, he's getting good instruction from a coach who was considered a Downie-type player when he came out of junior. Tocchet has managed to get through to Downie and you can see how much more reserved Downie is as a player. He'll still fight, but he won't go crazy the way he has in the past.

With that being said, Philadelphia would not be a good situation for him. The style of game that the Flyers play is considerably more up tempo than the style Tampa Bay plays. As well, Downie would have considerable trouble cracking the top 9 here and that would mean he'd be playing on the fourth line. It would be a dog fight between him and Carcillo and at this point, Carcillo wins the spot because his skating is much, much, much better.

I like Downie, but Philadelphia just wasn't a good fit for him.
The only way he has trouble cracking the top 9 here is if you are of the belief that Powe and Asham are better players. I am not....since Powe is in the top 6 and Asham is on the 3rd line, I see Downie having plenty of chances here.....without Stevens that is. But I agree he is in a good spot down there.

Old
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
I thought Downie got some truly irresponsible criticism from the Panaccios in the local media. It was obvious he was on his way to being a decent NHLer to anyone who knew the game. Good to see it happening in Tampa.
Obviously! That idiot Stevens not only had him on the 4th line with nobody, he had him playing center.

Old
02-04-2010, 11:59 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Eminger trade has nothing to do with this trade. Trading a first for Eminger was awful. Markstrom/Carlson would be sweet
I just threw up in my mouth a little

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Talbetts

Quote:
Obviously I would love to have him here, but that wasnt the point of my post. He is gone, Carle is here....no changing that. I just wanted a "scouting report" on him which a couple of you have done. Thanks!!

I dont get the fascination with Asham. He does his job and does it well, and I have no issue with him at all....but he is still nothing more than a 4th liner in my opinion. Downie is on pace for 40 points and may eventually put up more than that. Asham will never put that up. If we are comparing Downie to Asham, I take Downie in a heartbeat.

Plus, I think Asham is a bit redundant with Lappy here.

I would also be more willing to trade Hartnell if we still had Downie in the lineup....He doesnt have the size, but has the mindset.
Agreed 100%!

I have watched Tampa quite a bit this year because of Downie and he has been great. It has nothing to do with him being on that top line, because before Decemberish, he was primarily a 3rd - 4th line guy. He earned his spot on that line with his hard work and amazing board work. He is a hustler and is very skilled!!!!

Downie = Potential 2nd liner EASY
Asham = 3rd liner at best

Downie would be the perfect fit for the JVR - Giroux line IMHO.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Does Downie still suck at skating?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
panayiotis

flyer MO

Quote:
Mods....feel free to merge this into another thread if you want, wasnt sure where to put it.

I know there are a WIDE range of feelings towards Downie on this board, but I was scanning the stats of the other teams last night (yes, bored out my brains) and noticed that he seems to be having a very solid season down in Tampa this year. He has 11 goals and 27 points (on pace for 16 and 40) 5pp goals and 16% shooting. He still has a ton of penalty minutes, but that is to be expected I guess. Even more surprising to me is his +/-. He is currently a +10...... +/- isnt always the most telling stat, but the only other guy that is a + is Tanguay at a +4 so Downie's really stands out.

Anyone here follow Tampa? Is he finally coming around now that Tocchet has given him a chance to play down there? (something he obviously was not going to get under Stevens here) I think many of us thought within a few years he would end up being an excellent 3rd liner or good 2nd liner.

Thoughts?
Willy,Sharp and Downie. Giving up on young players. Great way to build a team in a salary cap era.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Dr. Octagon

Quote:

Exactly, this makes me a little nauseous. Downie was traded to cover up another bad trade. Imagine Downie and Carcillo on the same team....that's good fun.

Dr. Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Lomark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Does Downie still suck at skating?
Not imo. He is a very good forechecker in Tampa and much of that is thanks to his legs and vision. Comes in with pretty good speed and surprises defenders on many occasions.

Don't get me wrong. There's no room for him here at this point with Carcillo as our resident hot-head and we really needed/need Carle. But he really is a different player down there.

Here's to hoping Legein will develop into a speedy forechecker with a bit of offense in him like Downie. I like Asham but he is a bit slow for the 3rd line.

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:33 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Willy,Sharp and Downie. Giving up on young players. Great way to build a team in a salary cap era.
Well, the Williams trade, and to some extent the Downie trade, were made out of desperation.....You usually lose those trades. Sharp it was just a matter of the team giving him a chance somewhere else.

Old
02-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Totally Radivojevic

10 points in his last 7 games. +18 on the year, with more points than Hartnell or Giroux.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:46 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Granted he's getting a lot more minutes and playing with good players, but I knew this guy had it in him. He was one of my favorite players before being traded and I'm glad he's succeeding some where.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote