HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

how much effect does the difference in heel height make?

Old
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
vyktor

vCash: 500
how much effect does the difference in heel height make?

It's getting about time for a new pair of skates, i was talking to a couple guys on my team and heard different things. One guy says that going from CCM's to bauers screwed him up, he stuck with the skates for about a year but went back to CCM's cause he couldn't get used to the heel being higher in the Bauers, he said he always felt like he was on his toes. A different guy did the exact opposite, skated in Bauers for years switched to CCM's and he said the only difference he ever noticed was that he could turn a little sharper in the CCM skates. We compared the first guys skates side by side (they're the same size boot) and the heel of the Bauers was about 3/4" higher, and the steel was about 1" longer(it seems there's quite a bit more of the blade that would be in contact with the ice at any given time too)

I've heard that you should stick with the brand you have, and if I were completely happy with the skates I have now I would, but they never fit quite the way I wanted.

So I'm curious who has experience with these differences and how much effect do they have.

Last edited by vyktor: 02-03-2010 at 08:39 PM.
vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Placebo Effect

Couple of millimeters can make quite a difference. If you want to be more on your toes you can add heel lifts. Other way you can try profiling. Of course if something works for you why change? Hell if you really wanted you can swap out the holders. Having more steel touching the ice increases speed but makes tight turns a bit tougher

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:01 PM
blueberrydanish

This really seems to have to do more with the type of feet people have and that just varies completely from person to person and skate to skate.

Every skate fits differently whether it be in the heel, arch, or wideness. If you are lucky enough to have a local shop that has a variety then just go try em all out and see which one has the least discomfort and feels like it gives you a "locking" feel in your heel.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:42 PM
greyraven8

I have ccm 852 tacks.
My previous pair were also 852 tacks but must have been made in a different year, as I found my balance was way off compared to my old skates when i got my newer pair (was leaning too far back and falling). My local hockey shop where I bought the newer pair second hand had to take off the blade holders and add a couple pieces of plastic between the blade holder and the heel of the boot and then rivet the blade holders back onto the boot. now my skates are about the same angle as my old ones and work great for me.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Hockeyfan68

Mainly balnce and whether or not one can turn sharper in one brand over another has more to do with their blade set up than the skate itself.

BUT that being said i have heard people who have purchased the highend NEWER Bauer Vapor skates state that they are pitched forward so the player is leaning forward more and not standing too upright while skating. The heel is angled more towards the front of the skate.

My Bauers are super and i have only used CCM and Bauer my whole life going back 35 years or so. I have not tried any new modern age skates. My skates are Bauer Vapors from 2003 and I own two pair of them because they are awesomely comfy.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:40 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
The LS II come pretty neutral so no, Bauers will not put you on your toes.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I noticed I was on my toes a bit more on the LS2 compared to the Tuuk Custom+, but I haven't used CCM's. They should be fairly neutral though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I noticed I was on my toes a bit more on the LS2 compared to the Tuuk Custom+, but I haven't used CCM's. They should be fairly neutral though.
I can see why, last set of Customs i had i was back on my heels

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:14 PM
noobman

Somewhat related question....

...are there any good insoles that don't raise the heel? I don't like the crappy ones in my Bauers

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
stick9

Raising the heel a little puts you on your toes and almost forces you into a proper skating stance. You can easily experiment with this by putting shims in the heels underneath your innersoles.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Raising the heel a little puts you on your toes and almost forces you into a proper skating stance. You can easily experiment with this by putting shims in the heels underneath your innersoles.
That will screw with the fit though...

Heel lifts are cheap if you want to try them out. They cut out the rivets in the back part of the holder, stick a piece of plastic in and re rivet. Doesn't take long and the materials are cheap.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:34 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That will screw with the fit though...

Heel lifts are cheap if you want to try them out. They cut out the rivets in the back part of the holder, stick a piece of plastic in and re rivet. Doesn't take long and the materials are cheap.
True, but for trial purposes it's a quick and easy way to see if it's something you want without profiling or using a lift between the boot and holder.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote