HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When does Quinn shoulder some of the blame?

Old
01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
When does Quinn shoulder some of the blame?

This is undoubtedly the worst defensive Oilers team I have seen in a very long time. The goaltending could be better but (in their defence) the quality and quantity of the scoring chances is off the charts. The line matching has been very questionable over the entire season. The blender will also likely need a rebuild at the rate Quinn has been going which can't possibly help with any cohesion. I think there is enough evidence to debate the merits of Quinn's coaching strategies. When does Quinn shoulder some of the responsibility for the "defensive gong show" as Rod Phillips so aptly put it? Is this all on the players?

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Not for awhile. THis is the players fault now.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Never. I'm sick of these little babies wearing the Oil drop.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:47 PM
SlowFreshOil*

I'm not sure he needs to shoulder any at this point. It's the players who can't play defense.

The "Gong Show" started when they gave Huddy his walking papers.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:47 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
This is undoubtedly the worst defensive Oilers team I have seen in a very long time. The goaltending could be better but (in their defence) the quality and quantity of the scoring chances is off the charts. The line matching has been very questionable over the entire season. The blender will also likely need a rebuild at the rate Quinn has been going which can't possibly help create with any cohesion. I think there is enough evidence to debate the merits of Quinn's coaching strategies. When does Quinn shoulder some of the responsibility for the "defensive gong show" as Rod Phillips so aptly put it? Is this all on the players?
Hey, I've been throwing a lot of blame his way since day 1. But nobody listens....

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:48 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
This is undoubtedly the worst defensive Oilers team I have seen in a very long time. The goaltending could be better but (in their defence) the quality and quantity of the scoring chances is off the charts. The line matching has been very questionable over the entire season. The blender will also likely need a rebuild at the rate Quinn has been going which can't possibly help create with any cohesion. I think there is enough evidence to debate the merits of Quinn's coaching strategies. When does Quinn shoulder some of the responsibility for the "defensive gong show" as Rod Phillips so aptly put it? Is this all on the players?
Quinn = blame, not possible. He basically told the world that he had no faith in his roster on the first day of training camp. He's pre-absolved. By himself. What a genius.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
I'm not sure he needs to shoulder any at this point. It's the players who can't play defense.

Aren't you trying to have it both ways here? I agree about Huddy by the way, but aren't you suggesting that coaching is contributing to the problem?

Old
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
Hey, I've been throwing a lot of blame his way since day 1. But nobody listens....
It's against the Lowe sucks orthodoxy. Uphill battle all the way.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:54 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Quinn = blame, not possible. He basically told the world that he had no faith in his roster on the first day of training camp. He's pre-absolved. By himself. What a genius.
Are you serious...did he really say that?
I mean I can't think of a situation where a new coach comes in and (before they even play a game) announces publically that the roster he just inherited is simply not good enough.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'll put the blame where it really belongs: Kevin Lowe and his "puck-moving defenseman" fetish. Also, how many players do we have over 6 feet 210 pounds? You can probably count them on one hand. Obviously, Quinn put on a brave face during training camp by saying, "You don't have to be big to play big," but it's a big time problem.

If Quinn's at fault for anything it's that he didn't seem to do any research on this awful roster before taking the job.

Old
myteammytown

scotty bowman behind the bench doesnt put this **** show any closer to the playoffs.

yes, some blame should go to quinn, but the majority should be on the players...

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
His coaching history aside...if Quinn proclaimed to anyone that would listen that this team wasn't good enough on day one (as HBP has stated) then you may have had a valid point.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Aren't you trying to have it both ways here? I agree about Huddy by the way, but aren't you suggesting that coaching is contributing to the problem?
Sure it contributed to the problem a little, but I mean, we changed coaches, and kept the majority of the players from last year. I see it around 20-25% coaching and 75-80% players.

You can't teach players who aren't willing to learn defense, or even lowering their turnovers(aka playing pretty).

His line matching has been brutal in some aspects, I agree, but then again, he really doesn't have the horses to do....well anything.

He calls out as many players as he can, and tries to limit them, but we have too many guys who just cant play NHL hockey.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CorpseFX

it was the players fault last year too with MacTavish. Quinn was just too dumb to look over the roster before he took the job. thats why his entrance interviews with the team were so dumb. "yeah, dat guy, uh, the kid with the fancy dangling playing center (Hemsky)"

or stuff like "i really dont know the roster yet.... i dont know what went wrong last year.... "

it was so obvious that dude had NO idea what sort of joke he was getting himself into.

Quinn is done. the dude should just quit because he'll be 70+ by the time theres any serious competitive parity from this franchise. then theyll hand it to Renney for MacT II philosophies.

its going to be a LONG rebuild.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Well it was cleverly pre-emptive. You called it.

This is like just showing up for work for a year with a pulse and getting a regular cheque.

Good *work* if you can get it.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:01 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'll put the blame where it really belongs: Kevin Lowe and his "puck-moving defenseman" fetish. Also, how many players do we have over 6 feet 210 pounds? You can probably count them on one hand. Obviously, Quinn put on a brave face during training camp by saying, "You don't have to be big to play big," but it's a big time problem.

If Quinn's at fault for anything it's that he didn't seem to do any research on this awful roster before taking the job.
I agree that much of the criticism should fall on Lowe and Tambo for this mess but Quinn does have some input in terms of creating circumstances that helps contribute to team success.

Old
surshot*

until the players are held accountable then people can turn on Quinn if they do not improve but something tells me they are going to improve once the roster is addressed.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MerryJ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post

This I agree with, they kept the wrong old boys club member on staff. I would also not lay all the blame on the players, Quinn has made some questionable decisions when it comes to lines as well as match-ups. As soon as players start to develop some chemistry he splits them up. There were also times when the games still mattered when he would put Strudwick out against a teams top opposition in the last minute of play, or put the 4th line out on the PP??????

The Blame though goes both ways this year. I am speculating but maybe he wants to get rid of all of the old MacT boys, who knows. But he has not instilled much confidence in the team since day one.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm still waiting for the finger to be pointed at management by the media... when's that going to happen? Did Katz put a gag order on blaming them?

Old
01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Are you serious...did he really say that?
I mean I can't think of a situation where a new coach comes in and (before they even play a game) announces publically that the roster he just inherited is simply not good enough.
No, he didn't really say that. What I do recall him doing all the time in training cap and right off the bat was make constant comments that "management tells me that" these guys can play and "they've proven nothing to me etc." It struck me as astoundingly self serving at the time, because it basically sets him up as being crippled from the start if things go sour and a genius if things work out well (which you'll recall he got some credit for early).

To me, to privately have deep scepticism is one thing but soldier on is one thing. To go public right away with your lack of faith has no upside because it does nothing to help your management make better deals.

Bottom line for me is that a streak this deep and a club so obviously demoralized sure as heck has at least something to do with the coach. Time for Quinn to "man up" maybe??

Old
01-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

I think everybody hated MacT so much, we are hesitant to call out Quinn. We basically felt anything was better than MacT and now we have to live with it.

I didn't like MacT and am not a huge fan of Quinn. His decisions don't bother me so much any more but when we were still in the playoff hunt, he made some very poor decisions. He just doesn't do a good job when it comes to tactics or line combos

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:06 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

It's everybody's fault..... Katz, Lowe, Tambellini, Quinn, Renney, Buchberger, Training Staff, Medical Staff, Joey Moss, Players etc. etc.
There cannot be one person employed by the Oilers who's free of blame this year, not one.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MerryJ99

This is basically the same Roster that MacT coached to a much better record if that means anything...

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
This I agree with, they kept the wrong old boys club member on staff. I would also not lay all the blame on the players, Quinn has made some questionable decisions when it comes to lines as well as match-ups. As soon as players start to develop some chemistry he splits them up. There were also times when the games still mattered when he would put Strudwick out against a teams top opposition in the last minute of play, or put the 4th line out on the PP??????

The Blame though goes both ways this year. I am speculating but maybe he wants to get rid of all of the old MacT boys, who knows. But he has not instilled much confidence in the team since day one.
I agree.
With respect to Quinn there are things that he definitely has control over and I haven't see much evidence that he has been up to the task. He has failed the players as much as they have failed him.

Old
01-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Well, Mac had Souray, who was firing on all cylinders; plus Hemsky and Dwayne Roloson who kept the Oilers in games.