HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kovalchuk & Anssi Salmela traded to Devils for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier and a 1st

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2010, 12:50 AM
  #76
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Why wouldn't Atlanta just take Teubert, Frolov, and the 1st?
Rumour has it they want NHL players back to stay in the playoff race. A top 6 forward, a top 4 D and a pick/prospect.

Mackenzie said Frolov, JJ and Purcell gets it done from Atlanta's POV but LA doesn't want to move JJ. I'd say Grebs + O'Sullivan/Nilsson is fairly close to JJ + Purcell.


Last edited by s7ark: 02-04-2010 at 12:56 AM.
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:03 AM
  #77
John Hancock
Registered User
 
John Hancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Rumour has it they want NHL players back to stay in the playoff race. A top 6 forward, a top 4 D and a pick/prospect.

Mackenzie said Frolov, JJ and Purcell gets it done from Atlanta's POV but LA doesn't want to move JJ. I'd say Grebs + O'Sullivan/Nilsson is fairly close to JJ + Purcell.
It doesn't matter. I have no faith Tambo is aggressive enough to get in on these trade talks. I actually think that 3 way looks pretty good, but I doubt it happens.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:06 AM
  #78
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
I think what's really killing the Kovy trade is that teams aren't allowed to contact his agent/Kovy ahead of time, and the posturing the agent is taking (they're going for the MAX, long term) imo means that teams are looking at him as strictly a rental.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:08 AM
  #79
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Mackenzie is reporting that the Thrashers are scouting the Devils.

per twitter:

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie

A case could be made. RT @NJerseyDevil: Dudley at Lowell game tonight + Waddell at NJ/Kings + Dudley also at NJ/Leafs. SOMETHING is up!

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:10 AM
  #80
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,490
vCash: 500
I don't want Kovy. We cant have that type of cap monster on our rosterfor the future. This is HF. Priorities people.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:11 AM
  #81
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
what's the rationale for not letting teams negotiate with Kovy/agent? Wouldn't Waddell get a better return if teams knew they could lock him up for years?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:29 AM
  #82
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
what's the rationale for not letting teams negotiate with Kovy/agent? Wouldn't Waddell get a better return if teams knew they could lock him up for years?
Waddell should field offers from teams on contracts and then negotiate directly with Kovy. Waddell would get what he wanted if the other teams had a bit of security.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:33 AM
  #83
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Rumour has it they want NHL players back to stay in the playoff race. A top 6 forward, a top 4 D and a pick/prospect.

Mackenzie said Frolov, JJ and Purcell gets it done from Atlanta's POV but LA doesn't want to move JJ. I'd say Grebs + O'Sullivan/Nilsson is fairly close to JJ + Purcell.
Actually makes sense for ATL from both LA and us. Except I don't know who'd I say is a "prospect"...does Cogliano still count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I don't want Kovy. We cant have that type of cap monster on our rosterfor the future. This is HF. Priorities people.
You have to wonder that perhaps him wanting such an enormous cap hit, at least requesting for that type from ATL, is just a "polite" way of saying screw you, noway I sign back with you guys. Watch him do a Hossa, sign for "less" hit but super heavy front loaded

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:21 AM
  #84
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Mackenzie is reporting that the Thrashers are scouting the Devils.

per twitter:
My guess is that Waddell is looking at Ponikarovsky and Stempniak from the Leafs.

It isn't Lou's style to land the big fish.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
  #85
napaneeoilfan
Registered User
 
napaneeoilfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Napanee, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
I think he will go to a "dark horse" team like Philly, they have to swing for the fences sometime. But, since Philly is in cap trouble Kovy won't resign there and becomes a free agent.

Thats where Katz, comes in he despertely wants a high end player, isn't afraid of the long term contract and throwing boatloads of cash at a guy (Hossa, Heatley so a point)
Most of the big contracts will be gone Souray and Lubo (either before deadline or July 1st), the regular deadwood Statios, Moreau, ect... dealt for future considerations or bought out. That will free up lots caproom and Katz will make a big pitch for Kovy. Just my 2 cents.

napaneeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
  #86
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
what's the rationale for not letting teams negotiate with Kovy/agent? Wouldn't Waddell get a better return if teams knew they could lock him up for years?
Hey bud

He says it puts too much power in the hands of the player/agent. If LA comes to a contract arrangement but Waddell likes NJ's package best, he doesn't want Kovalchuck to have the ability to kill the NJ deal by telling them he won't sign there.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:43 AM
  #87
sync
Registered User
 
sync's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by napaneeoilfan View Post
That will free up lots caproom and Katz will make a big pitch for Kovy.
god i hope not

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:49 AM
  #88
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,648
vCash: 500
I think it has to be the Kings, they have the most assets and cap space to sign him long term...... I'll say Frolov, Hickey and a 1st ++

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:13 AM
  #89
HopelessOilFan
Registered User
 
HopelessOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
what's the rationale for not letting teams negotiate with Kovy/agent? Wouldn't Waddell get a better return if teams knew they could lock him up for years?
My guess is that kovy is either dead set on going to the KHL, or Free Agency and Waddell knows it.
It would potential make the return much less for him being strictly a rental and he might be afraid what he already knows could be leaked out to the media.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:33 AM
  #90
Ghostbuster
Registered User
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
So, how bout a 3-way

Edmonton gets:
LA 1st
Atlanta 1st

LA Gets:
Kovalchuk

Atlanta gets:
Frolov
Comrie/Nilsson/Cogliano
Gilbert
Oilers 2nd

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:24 AM
  #91
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I think what's really killing the Kovy trade is that teams aren't allowed to contact his agent/Kovy ahead of time, and the posturing the agent is taking (they're going for the MAX, long term) imo means that teams are looking at him as strictly a rental.

That was the contract he reportedly wanted in ATL. Its not neccesarily the contract he will want to sign with some OTHER NHL franchise. Mind you, whatever contract he signs...its going to be a GIANT DEAL. And maybe its not even signed in North America. He could have an eye to take over a KHL franchise.

But...


There is nothing drastically wrong with trading something of significance to acquire a rental player of Kovy's calibre. I am sure there is a buzzing market for Kovy.

Bob Mackenzie has indicated there is a 'wilidcard team' in this race. I believe that wildcard could very likely be a team trying to ASSIST another team in trading for Kovy....as part of a 3 way deal. Its a complicated lift, afterall.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:19 AM
  #92
No Good Names Left
Registered User
 
No Good Names Left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
So, how bout a 3-way

Edmonton gets:
LA 1st
Atlanta 1st

LA Gets:
Kovalchuk

Atlanta gets:
Frolov
Comrie/Nilsson/Cogliano
Gilbert
Oilers 2nd

I was thinking of something like this also, except would it be possible for Edmonton to trade straight up for him and then flip him for young assets?

Say
Some Young Talent - Nash? Omark? - (Not sure about him at all)
Grebs (or Gilbert if they want)
Cogs
Nilsson
anyone else you want to get rid of?

Take Kovy and trade him to a team and get some bona-fide 'Can't miss' youngsters? Say Boston?

Give them

Kovy
Our 2nd

Torontos 1st
Colborne/Wheeler

It may seem like alot to give up for us, however we just aren't going to win with those guys (other than maybe cogs). Maybe you can get a little more from Boston. Would we have to give up more to Atlanta?

Thoughts?

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:22 AM
  #93
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
So, how bout a 3-way

Edmonton gets:
LA 1st
Atlanta 1st

LA Gets:
Kovalchuk

Atlanta gets:
Frolov
Comrie/Nilsson/Cogliano
Gilbert
Oilers 2nd
Where do I sign? At this point I doubt that we get a 1st rounder coming our way this year unless we move Lubo.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
  #94
NotBad*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,728
vCash: 500
Wouldnt mind the Oilers Getting into a 3-way just to move some bodies out.

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
  #95
Teamcanada
Registered User
 
Teamcanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 500
I could see the Oilers being a dark horse team in all this, contingent on him signing a 10 year -110 million dollar deal.

A top 5 talent and influx of kids or just harbor all the kids. (The 2 directions they could go)

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
  #96
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
That was the contract he reportedly wanted in ATL. Its not neccesarily the contract he will want to sign with some OTHER NHL franchise. Mind you, whatever contract he signs...its going to be a GIANT DEAL. And maybe its not even signed in North America. He could have an eye to take over a KHL franchise.

But...


There is nothing drastically wrong with trading something of significance to acquire a rental player of Kovy's calibre. I am sure there is a buzzing market for Kovy.

Bob Mackenzie has indicated there is a 'wilidcard team' in this race. I believe that wildcard could very likely be a team trying to ASSIST another team in trading for Kovy....as part of a 3 way deal. Its a complicated lift, afterall.
he's certainly going to get a big contract, but the current chatter is that he wants the max (11 million) for a multi-year contract.

Now, you're right and that could have been something they were saying because they knew that was too rich for Atlanta, but if other teams can't even talk to the guy, that's all they have to go on.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:27 PM
  #97
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
I could see the Oilers being a dark horse team in all this, contingent on him signing a 10 year -110 million dollar deal.

A top 5 talent and influx of kids or just harbor all the kids. (The 2 directions they could go)
No chance. I can't see anything that Atlanta would want from the Oilers with Hemsky out.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
  #98
mic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Move a piece of the deal to LA for Teubert but I can't imagine that Atlanta would garner more than Frolov, Purcell and Teubert for a pending UFA that demands a $9-11 mill cap hit.


If Atlanta is smart they would **** LA of their prospects, get their 2011 or 2012 #1 pick and hope that another team signs Kovalchuck.

mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:03 PM
  #99
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
he's certainly going to get a big contract, but the current chatter is that he wants the max (11 million) for a multi-year contract.

Now, you're right and that could have been something they were saying because they knew that was too rich for Atlanta, but if other teams can't even talk to the guy, that's all they have to go on.
I have my doubts as to whether or not Kovy wants the max. Seems to me it was his way of saying he doesn't want to sign in Atlanta. He rejected an 8 yr/$80M, that is essentially the max.

If he stays in NA, I could see him signing a long term contract for around $7-8M a year. I'm sure whoever signs him will do so along the lines of the current retirement year loophole the NHL refuses to close. When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at $5-6M cap hit a year.

Tambo will then slap his forehead and say, "Shoulda thought of that myself!"

The Oilers better be in on this Kovy deal one way or another. They can't be gunshy after frothing at the mouths for Heatley.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
  #100
Teamcanada
Registered User
 
Teamcanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I have my doubts as to whether or not Kovy wants the max. Seems to me it was his way of saying he doesn't want to sign in Atlanta. He rejected an 8 yr/$80M, that is essentially the max.

If he stays in NA, I could see him signing a long term contract for around $7-8M a year. I'm sure whoever signs him will do so along the lines of the current retirement year loophole the NHL refuses to close. When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at $5-6M cap hit a year.

Tambo will then slap his forehead and say, "Shoulda thought of that myself!"

The Oilers better be in on this Kovy deal one way or another. They can't be gunshy after frothing at the mouths for Heatley.
You would be stupid not to. The Oilers are setup right now to pull this type of deal off if they can entice Kovalchuk to sign long term.

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.