HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kovalchuk & Anssi Salmela traded to Devils for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier and a 1st

Old
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
So, how bout a 3-way

Edmonton gets:
LA 1st
Atlanta 1st

LA Gets:
Kovalchuk

Atlanta gets:
Frolov
Comrie/Nilsson/Cogliano
Gilbert
Oilers 2nd

So Comrie/Nilsson/Cogliano, Gilbert and a high 2nd round pick nets us a high 1st round pick and a mid to low first round pick? If Tambo pulls that off, he'll go from the outhouse to the penthouse in Oil Country

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I have my doubts as to whether or not Kovy wants the max. Seems to me it was his way of saying he doesn't want to sign in Atlanta. He rejected an 8 yr/$80M, that is essentially the max.

If he stays in NA, I could see him signing a long term contract for around $7-8M a year. I'm sure whoever signs him will do so along the lines of the current retirement year loophole the NHL refuses to close. When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at $5-6M cap hit a year.

Tambo will then slap his forehead and say, "Shoulda thought of that myself!"

The Oilers better be in on this Kovy deal one way or another. They can't be gunshy after frothing at the mouths for Heatley.
Of course. Like there arnt 29 other teams trying to get him, so if the Oilers arnt involved they screwed up.
And there is ZERO chance of Kovalchuk signing here. NONE.
And btw, the Oilers were frothing at Heatly cause he actually had a contract

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Of course. Like there arnt 29 other teams trying to get him, so if the Oilers arnt involved they screwed up.
And there is ZERO chance of Kovalchuk signing here. NONE.
And btw, the Oilers were frothing at Heatly cause he actually had a contract
Ok, let me try to explain the situation.

Atlanta is looking for roster players for a playoff push. They don't want picks or prospects. The teams interested are looking to add Kovy to make a playoff impact. Waddell won't allow teams to negotiate extension. Those teams can't trade their rosters players because it wouldn't make any sense to lose depth for a rental.

Oilers are looking for picks/proespects. Oilers have roster players they want to trade. They don't necessarily want Kovy.

It's pretty elementary stuff here. Regardless of what your magic crystal ball had to say about Kovalchuk signing here, or whether or not you think the Oilers aren't worth anything is besides the point.

If Tambo can't be the bridge for this deal, it'll be a huge missed opportunity.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Sammy*

Quote:

Atlanta is looking for roster players for a playoff push. They don't want picks or prospects. The teams interested are looking to add Kovy to make a playoff impact. Waddell won't allow teams to negotiate extension. Those teams can't trade their rosters players because it wouldn't make any sense to lose depth for a rental.

Oilers are looking for picks/proespects. Oilers have roster players they want to trade. They don't necessarily want Kovy.

It's pretty elementary stuff here. Regardless of what your magic crystal ball had to say about Kovalchuk signing here, or whether or not you think the Oilers aren't worth anything is besides the point.

Geez, thats so enlighning. But your post suggested that if the Oilers wernt involved in the deal, they screwed up. Like, you do realize there are other GM's in hockey other than Tambo who are quite motivated to get him, dont you?
And yeah, my crystal ball does tell me there is zero chance he would sign here. Does yours tell you something different?

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
I think he'll be dealt to Detroit........

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

This statement is true if Atlanta is interested in our junk. If Waddell isn't interested he isn't interested nothing that Tambo can do about it really.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
This statement is true if Atlanta is interested in our junk. If Waddell isn't interested he isn't interested nothing that Tambo can do about it really.
Again, this is in spite what the armchair GMs have evaluated in regards to our players.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Jmask83

The Oilers don't need anyone that makes over 4 million. We have plenty of players and if we arrange them properly we can challenge for a playoff spot next year. They need help in the bottom 6 and on D. Kovalchuk can't do either.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

I disagree. I don't think Atlanta is looking for roster players (in particular UFA) for a playoff push. Without Kovalchuk, they're not playoff calibre. I believe that Atlanta is looking for a top line player, or a top prospect to replace Kovalchuk. They're not interested in Moreau, Staios, or Pisani. I doubt if they're interested in a defenseman either - they need a forward.

Hemsky would be a credible option, if he wasn't hurt. I can't think of any other Oiler(s) that would be worth it.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
yukoner88

What is Kovalchuk's goal in all this? Team 1260 just reported that he turned down a 12yr 101M contract, and a 7yr 70M. The guy is being offered bucket fulls of money and he's turning it down. He's probably wanting to go to Russia, thats the only conclusion I can make of all this.

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
What is Kovalchuk's goal in all this? Team 1260 just reported that he turned down a 12yr 101M contract, and a 7yr 70M. The guy is being offered bucket fulls of money and he's turning it down. He's probably wanting to go to Russia, thats the only conclusion I can make of all this.
Or a real team.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
How can he turn down a deal that pays him more than a true superstar like Ovechkin? Unreal.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Or a real team.
Yeah, not every player is like Rick Nash.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Why do people think he's coming to Edmonton.....

There has been no sources saying we're even remotely interested.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
Why do people think he's coming to Edmonton.....

There has been no sources saying we're even remotely interested.
No one really thinks he's coming here. People just like to play GM. LULZ! OMG if we just add Ethan that ought to shore it up enough to make it work!

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:15 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
How can he turn down a deal that pays him more than a true superstar like Ovechkin? Unreal.
Are you suggesting Kovalchuk isn't a true superstar? I think he wants to play for a contender or a team on the rise, so in order to give that up he wanted a 120M deal or the league max for less time. I suspect he's dreaming of LA and wwould sign with them for between 8-9M

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Are you suggesting Kovalchuk isn't a true superstar? I think he wants to play for a contender or a team on the rise, so in order to give that up he wanted a 120M deal or the league max for less time. I suspect he's dreaming of LA and wwould sign with them for between 8-9M
Perhaps if you only discuss things in terms of pure talent, but Ovechkin is infinitely more appealing as a player and arguably another level above Kovalchuk in both ability and persona, as it applies to stuff on and off the ice. In his time there, Atlanta has made the playoffs once and that was a sweep as I remember.

Ovechkin, in every sense, is a real superstar in the NHL -- marketability, fan appeal, etc. I just don't see Kovalchuk in the same light, sorry.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Cawz

There's a thread on the TR board saying Kovy will be traded tonight to an Eastern Conference team (word is it's Philly).

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
There's a thread on the TR board saying Kovy will be traded tonight to an Eastern Conference team (word is it's Philly).
http://twitter.com/TSNBobmckenzie

Mckenzie confirms. Boston and Rangers out

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
OILFAN #81

Kevin Allen reported the trade to an Eastern Conference team tonight. Bob McKenzie later tweeted he agreed and that it is not Boston/NY Rangers.

TSN said he will be traded to Philly or NJ tonight with a possibility of Montreal.

Russo said Thrashers are on a plane and as soon as they land then the trade will be announced.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Joseppi

Murmurs of Hartnell and Briere for Kovalchuk. That's from the trade board, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'd like to see NJ land him personally.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Kevin Allen reported the trade to an Eastern Conference team tonight. Bob McKenzie later tweeted he agreed and that it is not Boston/NY Rangers.

TSN said he will be traded to Philly or NJ tonight with a possibility of Montreal.

Russo said Thrashers are on a plane and as soon as they land then the trade will be announced.
I was kind of hoping the Boston would get him. Oh well, I guess.

Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:17 PM
czar99

Dregger says Devils

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Slickster

I think it's the Habs and maybe a swap including goalies. Price and Lehtonen as a part of the deal.
My guess.

Kovalchuk
Armstrong
Lehtonen

for

Price
Kostitsyns x 2
Pacioretty
1st rounder

Slickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Murmurs of Hartnell and Briere for Kovalchuk. That's from the trade board, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'd like to see NJ land him personally.
There has to be more no? Because PHilly wins that deal laughing.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote