HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KOVALCHUK traded to the New Jersey Devils for Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier & 1st rounder

Old
02-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc88 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=515802

Boston and Philly are out of the race now
Seems to me that everybody's out since the price is too high. LA the only supposed logical destination, also thinks the price is too high. Everybody's playing hardball with Waddell 'cause CLEARLY, they all know he will get rid of him. Once he lower his price down, also depending if the teams can sign him or not, those teams still might be in it. So I expect that the only team that has what it takes to get Kovalchuck, especially if they can have the right to sign him are the Bruins. Tons of picks, actually players from Krejci, Ryder, Wheeler maybe even Lucic, to prospects like Hamill, Colborne, Caron.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:51 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
im talking about in a trade

and as much as i love cammalleri, as you can see on my avatar, kovalchuk is in a whole other league compared to cammy...
How many players are there in Kovalchuk's league?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chomsky

Gionta, Spacek+ prospects and pick. Do it BOB!

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
How many players are there in Kovalchuk's league?
Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
happyhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
That's one mega ****in' facepalm.

He's not coming here. And if he does, it will be the dumbest thing Gainey has ever done. Unless of course he comes with an extension and then it would depend on the price of the extension.
Gainey needs to take a risk here, if the habs miss the playoffs he probably loses his job, we need a star player, the players mentioned from our part haven't torn it up for us anyway, I realize they are young but still its freaking kovalchuk, and like I said before I'm sick and tired of winning 2 and losing 2, I realize its a rental but you take the chance, I really believe Kovalchuk will fall in love with Montreal, no superstar in the world wouldn't love having his name yelled by 21000 people, he will sign the guy will be a god here

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:52 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
That deal gives Atlanta another line to go with the likes of Little, Kane, Antropov, Kozlov and others...but takes away a large chunk of our top 2 lines.

Sure, I would love to see a Pouiliot-Plekanec-Kovalhuck line, but what do we have after that with Andrei Kostitsyn and Mike Cammarelli out???

And who centres them???

Plus, we could lose both Kovalchuk and Plekanec to UFA. Only plus is we would open up almost 13 million in payroll.
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kovalchuk
S. Kostitsyn - Pouliot - A. Kostitsyn

But anyways I don't see why Atlanta would be making Montreal a favor by taking Gomez' contract.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:53 PM
supertzar

Id almost be willing to gamble and give up a lot for Kovalchuk...gamble if he signs or not. This is an opportunity to get a real superstar in MTL. No way he would ever sign here without playing first. Maybe the city could win him over. Big gamble obviously.

supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:54 PM
happyhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
exactly Kovalchuk is in a league of elite talent....

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
My point exactly, so 3 teams in the NHL currently have this type of generational talent on it... 1 team has 2 of them.

I found it funny that "the Habs never zero in" on any of these guys, when in fact this is probably the first time in years such an elite player has been available. Hossa is not quite at this level, so he doesn't count & the Habs we're heavily in those sweepstakes.

The fact he seems to want league maximum for 10-11 years kinda speaks to his values.. What happened to playing to win, for the fun? He doesn't strike me as a "winner" the way Ovechkin, Crosby & Malkin do.

Old
02-03-2010, 09:08 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
My point exactly, so 3 teams in the NHL currently have this type of generational talent on it... 1 team has 2 of them.

I found it funny that "the Habs never zero in" on any of these guys, when in fact this is probably the first time in years such an elite player has been available. Hossa is not quite at this level, so he doesn't count & the Habs we're heavily in those sweepstakes.

The fact he seems to want league maximum for 10-11 years kinda speaks to his values.. What happened to playing to win, for the fun? He doesn't strike me as a "winner" the way Ovechkin, Crosby & Malkin do.
could have been what he was asking atlanta because he did not really want to stay there ... I can see him getting a gaborik type of contract ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Habs

We need to pry the Oiler's pick from them, somehow.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:11 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Montréal isn't even in it, so why does this get it's own thread ?
Nobody saw Toronto getting Phaneuf either, you can't rule out that Gainey won't make the call to see at least what Waddell may want as we are in a playoff race of our own with two major injuries to our top 6 forwards.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:12 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertzar View Post
Id almost be willing to gamble and give up a lot for Kovalchuk...gamble if he signs or not. This is an opportunity to get a real superstar in MTL. No way he would ever sign here without playing first. Maybe the city could win him over. Big gamble obviously.
few months of kovalchuk might even be better than our new bob's 5 years ''no plan'' plan. they say being happy should be a journey and not a destination ...

if gomez goes the other way ... why not.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:14 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Nobody saw Toronto getting Phaneuf either, you can't rule out that Gainey won't make the call to see at least what Waddell may want as we are in a playoff race of our own with two major injuries to our top 6 forwards.
Yeah but I don't see Gainey going after Kovalchuk without discussions with him and his agent... It's a risk I wouldn't even take, and I've been critical of some of Gainey's moves/non-moves.

Maybe Bob Hartley knows some things he could share with Bob, for all we know, and Gainey will target him... I know it's kinda "illegal" but I could see this scenario being a possible one too.

Old
02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Habs514

I hope Bob try's to get him in MTL. I know its going to cost a lot but he is a game breaker we have needed in Montreal a long time. We always seem to be stuck in mediocrity. We are never bad enough to get high draft picks and are not good enough to compete in the playoffs.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Surely you know what an OT thread is?
Well, there's a trade deadline thread and an out of town thread.

Surely people know that this falls into those categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
Gainey needs to take a risk here, if the habs miss the playoffs he probably loses his job, we need a star player, the players mentioned from our part haven't torn it up for us anyway, I realize they are young but still its freaking kovalchuk, and like I said before I'm sick and tired of winning 2 and losing 2, I realize its a rental but you take the chance, I really believe Kovalchuk will fall in love with Montreal, no superstar in the world wouldn't love having his name yelled by 21000 people, he will sign the guy will be a god here

What about boo'd by 21,000+ fans ? What about tore up in the media, what about 25 journalists sticking their mics in your face and asking dumb questions ?

This city is as much as the best to play in as it is the worst.

Montréal is the best city to be in when you're winning and the worst when you're losing.

We've all seen the habs win and how the town reacts. Take a look at Koivu's return from Cancer. Now, take a look at other parts of his career in Montréal.

To give up a part of our future for a guy who might get us into the 2nd round, but no further is too great of a price to say we've finally had a superstar non goalie since Lafleur... This new superstar only played 30ish games with us, but we still had one. Yay Gainey ? You traded away our first, a top 6 forward and a top 4 d, or even a prospect d for 30 games of a superstar ? You people get pissed at Gainey for less things, but you'd be fine with that ?

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Ginu

We need a franchise player. Every regular Cup contender has one. I'd be willing to send Hamrlik + Halak + Andrei for Kovalchuk. If anything, we would have dealt one of our goalies and would have wanted to get rid of Hamrlik's contract this season regardless. We deal with the cap issues in the summer and dump Gomez.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Craig71

As good as Kovalchuk is when it comes to talent, he is not someone I would want on my team. The team that drafted him has offered him all they can in terms of money, and I think both Kovy and his agent are thumbing their noses at the salary cap and the NHL. He will go to Russia because he can, he will lead that meaningless league in scoring and will get 20 mill+ , he is not worth giving up half your team for, he does not have the passion for winning like Ovechkin or Crosby and is more concerned with stats and self importance. I would take 1 Crosby over three Kovalchuk's any day. He is not worth all the hype going on now and if Boston,LA, Calgary etc..lands this guy they will pay big time for years to come and that is my two cents.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Yeah but I don't see Gainey going after Kovalchuk without discussions with him and his agent... It's a risk I wouldn't even take, and I've been critical of some of Gainey's moves/non-moves.

Maybe Bob Hartley knows some things he could share with Bob, for all we know, and Gainey will target him... I know it's kinda "illegal" but I could see this scenario being a possible one too.
Mr. Hartley's best advice was: "The Bell Centre is called the Bell Centre for a reason, get the phone and lets make a deal".

Edit: Looks like my 1337 post

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:49 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Montréal isn't even in it, so why does this get it's own thread ?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=733369

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:50 PM
shutehinside

Quote:

He did it with Hossa.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:54 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

McKenzie already said Waddell won't give teams permission in talking to Kovalchuk or his agent as then the player is in charge of the deal and the Thrashers are held hostage.

Why would it be illegal? Is Hartley still under contract, if not it is just a persons opinion...no different than Wilson and Burke asking Wayne Primeau how Phaneuf was in the dressing room.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:54 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
As good as Kovalchuk is when it comes to talent, he is not someone I would want on my team. The team that drafted him has offered him all they can in terms of money, and I think both Kovy and his agent are thumbing their noses at the salary cap and the NHL. He will go to Russia because he can, he will lead that meaningless league in scoring and will get 20 mill+ , he is not worth giving up half your team for, he does not have the passion for winning like Ovechkin or Crosby and is more concerned with stats and self importance. I would take 1 Crosby over three Kovalchuk's any day. He is not worth all the hype going on now and if Boston,LA, Calgary etc..lands this guy they will pay big time for years to come and that is my two cents.
I wouldn't want one of the most prolific scorers of this generation either

Are you his agent or psychic?

So would I, but 3 Crosby's aren't currently available but 1 Kovalchuk is.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Ginu

Players of Kovalchuk's calibre aren't made available that often. He's a proven goal scorer talked about in the same circles as Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin, just a small step below along the Getzlaf's and Parise's. If we can deal a number of pieces for him you do it. Start with Halak and Hamrlik. It gives them a 24 year old goalie to replace Lehtonen who's been injured his whole career and Hamrlik, an experienced veteran to stabilize their back end going forward. Add a 3rd piece and, voila, we've already balanced the books. We have enough prospects that can jump right in in varying capacities: Weber, Pyatt, White and Maxwell. Leave Subban and MaxPac in the AHL for the rest of the year. We ain't winning the Cup this year. Hamrlik and Halak won't make that difference. If you can do this deal without giving up your better prospects, YOU DO IT. Not to mention, he's a right handed shot.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
He did it with Hossa.
yup, i think if your Gainey going for Kovy ,you remember how it went with Hossa.

So instead of tryting to front run, wait in the weeds(like Pittsburgh did) save the time and energy.

If he was going after Hossa, how could Kovy be any less of a prize?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote