HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jamie Benn to Vancouver

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2010, 07:34 PM
  #26
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
my bad... all the games I saw him had him at LW (earlier in the season) and right wing (last game I saw). Have not seen him at center before.

I also remember him playing left wing in Kelowna on a line with Colin Long at center.
I think probably on most other teams he would be LW, it is just it appears the only wingers Dallas has are all left shot natural LW. Benn plays with Morrow and was therefore moved to RW, kind of like Eriksson playing with Neal. Benn at C is a very recent thing with the injury of Ribeiro and Wandell, but he doesn't even take faceoffs. He's much more comfortable at RW.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:47 PM
  #27
HugeHockeyFan
 
HugeHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
Victoria kid would probably love to come back to his province. What would Dallas be interested in?

To Dallas:
Schneider, Bernier, and Hansen

To Vancouver:
Benn, 3rd Round in 2010
ABSOLUTELY NOT.. JAMIE BENN WILL BE A PREMIER WINGER IN A FEW YEARS.. he could be the best dallas draft pick since Iginla.. And obviously before that Mr. Mike Modano.. Who I will add has been on a tear lately.. Modano haS 7 goals and 2 assists in his last 10 games.. tht is very good..showing the americans why they should have picked him

HugeHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:03 PM
  #28
Hi-wayman
Registered User
 
Hi-wayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
you do realize that Benn is a winger, right?

we're talking about a 20YO rookie left winger.

and neither Bernier nor Hansen are worth anything close to Benn - who's also not the type of prospect you deal for an unproven prospect goalie like Schneider. He is a legitimate NHL winger at 20 YO, with top-6 upside.
My understanding is that he plays all three forward positions. If you are counting using him as a winger, that is even worse. He is a good player plus a local, but wingers, left or right are the last thing the Canucks need to trade for.

I see this thread as another of the "Let's trade in order to stop me from being bored" type of trade without thought of whether such a trade would improve the Canucks or not. Why trade away three quality players when the same roster spot could be filled by Grabner, Hansen, Shirokov or next year by Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin? If we were to broker a trade with Dallas, I'd be more inclined to ask for Niskanen or Fistric rather than Benn.

Schnieder will eventually be traded, but either for a young to mid age defenseman or for a centre with size and skill such as Beckes. More than likely with multiple players going each way. So if you want to trade Schnieder, package him with someone like Schroeder or Hodgson plus our first for one or two players who actually could fill a spot or two that really needs filling and stop going after another team's quality player of whom we already have a similar player on our team.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
  #29
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,027
vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
My understanding is that he plays all three forward positions. If you are counting using him as a winger, that is even worse. He is a good player plus a local, but wingers, left or right are the last thing the Canucks need to trade for.

I see this thread as another of the "Let's trade in order to stop me from being bored" type of trade without thought of whether such a trade would improve the Canucks or not. Why trade away three quality players when the same roster spot could be filled by Grabner, Hansen, Shirokov or next year by Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin? If we were to broker a trade with Dallas, I'd be more inclined to ask for Niskanen or Fistric rather than Benn.

Schnieder will eventually be traded, but either for a young to mid age defenseman or for a centre with size and skill such as Beckes. More than likely with multiple players going each way. So if you want to trade Schnieder, package him with someone like Schroeder or Hodgson plus our first for one or two players who actually could fill a spot or two that really needs filling and stop going after another team's quality player of whom we already have a similar player on our team.
I think a deal involving Niskanen and Schneider was tossed around in a previous thread, and both sides were very open to the idea. Myself included.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
  #30
Hi-wayman
Registered User
 
Hi-wayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne View Post
Umm why?

So he can play 10-15 games in the NHL, rather than 60+ in the AHL??

It's obvious he's not playing for the Canucks because Luongo is there and it makes no sense for him to be on Vancouver.
It also makes no sense to rush around trying to trade him for pennies on the dollar just to get rid of him. He is doing fine on the Moose right now and if traded, then we have to trade for another goalie to replace him there.

Trade Schnieder yes, but only when you get a fair return for him. In the mean time the Canucks are doing just fine and he's not costing the team anything.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:12 PM
  #31
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 50
I'd rather have Fistric. A package like that would be better spent on Lucic. The point is moot, the Canucks won't make any trades, barring injury.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:44 PM
  #32
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I'd rather have Fistric. A package like that would be better spent on Lucic. The point is moot, the Canucks won't make any trades, barring injury.
Good luck with that!
Boston thinks hes their next Cam Neely, and they could be right!
He would require overpayment.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:46 PM
  #33
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,072
vCash: 500
Personally, i like this trade for the Canucks; pretty fair too.

@Hiwayman - I think you are highly under-rating Benn's ability and potential. He is a big body that plays an aggressive forecheck and has soft hands; thats not something growing in our prospect pool whatsoever. He is a good skater and has a pretty good wrister too. He is on pace for 36 points, which is decent/good for a rookie, IMO.

I'd love to get Niskanen too, but thats more of a dream.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:48 PM
  #34
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,027
vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Personally, i like this trade for the Canucks; pretty fair too.

@Hiwayman - I think you are highly under-rating Benn's ability and potential. He is a big body that plays an aggressive forecheck and has soft hands; thats not something growing in our prospect pool whatsoever. He is a good skater and has a pretty good wrister too. He is one pace for 36 points, which is decent/good for a rookie, IMO.

I'd love to get Niskanen too, but thats more of a dream.
I'd say it's more of a reality for the Canucks than their chances of getting Benn would be.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:48 PM
  #35
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Personally, i like this trade for the Canucks; pretty fair too.

@Hiwayman - I think you are highly under-rating Benn's ability and potential. He is a big body that plays an aggressive forecheck and has soft hands; thats not something growing in our prospect pool whatsoever. He is a good skater and has a pretty good wrister too. He is one pace for 36 points, which is decent/good for a rookie, IMO.

I'd love to get Niskanen too, but thats more of a dream.
you'd have a better shot at Niskanen than Benn.

edit: great minds think alike Modo!


Last edited by vofty: 02-03-2010 at 09:21 PM.
vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:53 PM
  #36
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Good luck with that!
Boston thinks hes their next Cam Neely, and they could be right!
He would require overpayment.


Must not take much to be the "next Cam Neely"

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:53 PM
  #37
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,072
vCash: 500
Lol... i mean in addition to, by adding to the package!!!! Not instead of hahah. I would like both because i really like Benn's style and potential.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:56 PM
  #38
mstad101
Registered User
 
mstad101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
you'd have a better shot at Niskanen than Benn.
Niskanen n Benn for Edler???



ahaha no in all seriousness, What other than the Goalie depth is a huge need in Dallas?
Hows the PP going? Its also widely known you need a Number 1 Dman, but we dont have one to give.
Hows the overal Depth upfront? we have all sorts of Wingers. Schnieder is obviously a nice piece that could be added to Dallas,
But is their a Goalie in your system without the upside of Cory, but a lil Experience in being a Number 1 at any level? we dont have any other goalie signed if we move Schnieder.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:06 PM
  #39
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,026
vCash: 500
Yes, please from a canucks fan.

benn has ppg potential with power forward traits.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:11 PM
  #40
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Niskanen n Benn for Edler???



ahaha no in all seriousness, What other than the Goalie depth is a huge need in Dallas?
Hows the PP going? Its also widely known you need a Number 1 Dman, but we dont have one to give.
Hows the overal Depth upfront? we have all sorts of Wingers. Schnieder is obviously a nice piece that could be added to Dallas,
But is their a Goalie in your system without the upside of Cory, but a lil Experience in being a Number 1 at any level? we dont have any other goalie signed if we move Schnieder.
1. Stars have a good ppqb in Richards. They do need a #1 dman, not necessarily to run the pp but to help out in the offense is needed, at the moment Robidas is really the only one who contributes.

2. We also have all sorts of wingers-Neal, Eriksson, Morrow, Benn, Brunnstrom, Lehtinen, Ott, Petersen, Sutherby, Barch (obviously last 3 are 4th liners)

3. The Stars have no goalie prospect that is near being ready to take over. The two we have in the AHL are Krahn and Climie. Krahn was putting together a hell of a season, but is of course injured again and has been for a while, and is no spring chicken. Climie is 26 and won't be a #1 goaltender in the NHL. The prospects farther down may or maynot pan out, who knows, but there is nothing in the near future.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
  #41
mstad101
Registered User
 
mstad101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
1. Stars have a good ppqb in Richards. They do need a #1 dman, not necessarily to run the pp but to help out in the offense is needed, at the moment Robidas is really the only one who contributes.

2. We also have all sorts of wingers-Neal, Eriksson, Morrow, Benn, Brunnstrom, Lehtinen, Ott, Petersen, Sutherby, Barch (obviously last 3 are 4th liners)

3. The Stars have no goalie prospect that is near being ready to take over. The two we have in the AHL are Krahn and Climie. Krahn was putting together a hell of a season, but is of course injured again and has been for a while, and is no spring chicken. Climie is 26 and won't be a #1 goaltender in the NHL. The prospects farther down may or maynot pan out, who knows, but there is nothing in the near future.
My only concern with just making the proposal Niskanen for Schnieder is that
The playoffs are right around the corner, Let alone the Olympics,
Luongo is going to both, Raycroft is a good stop gap for 10 games or so usually before he starts to get figured out.
And we all know after the past few years in Vancouver, Luongo isnt bullet proof to injury or illness,

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
  #42
Elliot20
Registered User
 
Elliot20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
I think value-wise it is pretty fair. Dallas is getting a potential starter and two players who can crack the bottom 9. Bernier is still a toss-up and although Benn has higher potential, Dallas would still be getting a bruiser back. The draft pick just balances it out so it's not so one-sided.

But the key here is potential. Everyone being traded here has a lot to prove. One or two good seasons don't amount to much, but I think Vancouver will gladly take the risk with a local kid. With Dallas, they are getting 2 proven roster players and is there really anyone who thinks Schneider can't make the NHL?

Dallas fans should still remember that 45 save clinic clearly.

Elliot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
  #43
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,027
vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
I think value-wise it is pretty fair. Dallas is getting a potential starter and two players who can crack the bottom 9. Bernier is still a toss-up and although Benn has higher potential, Dallas would still be getting a bruiser back. The draft pick just balances it out so it's not so one-sided.

But the key here is potential. Everyone being traded here has a lot to prove. One or two good seasons don't amount to much, but I think Vancouver will gladly take the risk with a local kid. With Dallas, they are getting 2 proven roster players and is there really anyone who thinks Schneider can't make the NHL?

Dallas fans should still remember that 45 save clinic clearly.
Which two "proven roster players" are you referring to?

Benn has almost as many points this year as a rookie, as Bernier and Hansen combined.

I'm very much interested in Schneider's potential as a #1 starter, and Dallas should definitely be intrigued, but I don't think giving up Benn is the wise way to go about it.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:02 PM
  #44
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,379
vCash: 500
dallas would not trade benn for spare parts.

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
  #45
HugeHockeyFan
 
HugeHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
dallas would not trade benn for spare parts.
exactly

HugeHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:58 PM
  #46
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 500
Tell him to come back to the Grizzlies, bring back Bozak too.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:40 AM
  #47
GreenPenInk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
This may be more of an off season deal and I'm probably hoping for too much but I want Niskanen AND Benn.

To Vancouver

Benn
Niskanen
3rd Round Draft Pick

To Dallas

Schneider
Bieksa
Grabner
1st Round Draft Pick

The Bieksa and Niskanen swap is two offensive defenseman who are struggling who may do better in a new environment. Doesn't have to be part of the deal but it seems both fanbases are unhappy with how the two players are playing this season.

Canucks need more forwards who can hit, as a team we're terrible at hitting consistently. The fact Benn could develop offensively and be part of our top 6 in the future possibly is a huge plus.

Dallas needs a goaltender in Schneider, Grabner can replace Benn's offense and is a RW and the 1st evens out the value since Benn is currently playing in the NHL and neither of the Canuck players are even though during callups they've definitely shown the ability to do so. Dallas is more readily able to give up Benn since looking at the hits leaderboard they already have Ott, Robidas, Morrow and Neal who are all top-40 hitters, 2 in the top 5.

I have a feeling neither fanbase will like this. But I think it fills both's needs anyway.

Just an addition, if you took out the defensemen you'd have to rework the deal, the 1st balances out the value between the forwards/Schneider but also because Niskanen is younger than Bieksa and also isn't a magnet for skate blades.


Last edited by GreenPenInk: 02-04-2010 at 12:55 AM.
GreenPenInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:01 AM
  #48
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,027
vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecktor View Post
This may be more of an off season deal and I'm probably hoping for too much but I want Niskanen AND Benn.

To Vancouver

Benn
Niskanen
3rd Round Draft Pick

To Dallas

Schneider
Bieksa
Grabner
1st Round Draft Pick

The Bieksa and Niskanen swap is two offensive defenseman who are struggling who may do better in a new environment. Doesn't have to be part of the deal but it seems both fanbases are unhappy with how the two players are playing this season.

Canucks need more forwards who can hit, as a team we're terrible at hitting consistently. The fact Benn could develop offensively and be part of our top 6 in the future possibly is a huge plus.

Dallas needs a goaltender in Schneider, Grabner can replace Benn's offense and is a RW and the 1st evens out the value since Benn is currently playing in the NHL and neither of the Canuck players are even though during callups they've definitely shown the ability to do so. Dallas is more readily able to give up Benn since looking at the hits leaderboard they already have Ott, Robidas, Morrow and Neal who are all top-40 hitters, 2 in the top 5.

I have a feeling neither fanbase will like this. But I think it fills both's needs anyway.

Just an addition, if you took out the defensemen you'd have to rework the deal, the 1st balances out the value between the forwards/Schneider but also because Niskanen is younger than Bieksa and also isn't a magnet for skate blades.
If you truly think the Stars will keep Ott instead of Benn, I'm at a loss for words.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:03 AM
  #49
GreenPenInk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
I never made it sound like it was one or the other. Having Ott and the other players makes trading Benn easier than it would be for other teams. Thanks for saying absolutely nothing though.

I feel like Grabner will be pretty comparable to Benn in offensive output, maybe even better. I am positive he will make the NHL as a good top 6 forward. Eventually, this deal would be a ripoff if Schneider even pans out halfway for the Stars but goalies really do have very little value in trades and weird progressions even when they do hit the big leagues.

GreenPenInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:08 AM
  #50
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,027
vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecktor View Post
I never made it sound like it was one or the other. Having Ott and the other players makes trading Benn easier than it would be for other teams. Thanks for saying absolutely nothing though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecktor View Post
Dallas is more readily able to give up Benn since looking at the hits leaderboard they already have Ott, Robidas, Morrow and Neal who are all top-40 hitters, 2 in the top 5.
Looks to me like you somehow thought that Benn is expendable because Ott is amongst the league leaders in hits.

Seeing as how Ott is a pending UFA and may not even return to the Stars, the idea of dealing Benn ahead of him is downright laughable.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.