HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk, Salmela traded to the Devils, for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier and a first

Old
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I thought it was more, but can't say I really paid that close attention. I still say **** him if $100 million is not good enough over any amount of years. When you're talking numbers like that it's just getting stupidly greedy. You're set for life for playing a game for a few years.
Yeah, people are saying that he turned that down because he wanted to leave the Thrash and while part of that might be true, I still think he wants some serious bucks.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
He turned down 12 years 100 million I believe.
You have to be joking right?

He's gonna out price himself so hard, he's gonna get exported out of the USA. Right the **** back to Russia.

Last edited by dbr2: 02-04-2010 at 12:12 PM.
dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:49 PM
brian822

Three remain in Kovalchuk bidding war

Posted on: February 4, 2010 11:34 am
Edited on: February 4, 2010 12:16 pm

Less than 24 hours after the Atlanta Thrashers announced Ilya Kovalchuk is on the trading block, the potential suitors have been whittled down to three: the Los Angeles Kings, New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers.

ESPN's Pierre Lebrun reports Thrashers Associate GM Rick Dudley attended Wednesday night's AHL matchup between the the Devils' farm team, the Lowell Devils, and the Rangers', the Hartford Wolfpack.

Larry Brooks of the New York Post said via Twitter the Rangers would be expected to part with either Ryan Callahan or Brandon Dubinsky, with the rest of the package determined by who is the main player. If it is Callahan, New York would have to also give up Marc Staal or Michael Del Zotto. If it is Dubinsky, the Rangers would have to surrender one of the following: a first-round pick, Evgeny Grachev, Chris Kreider or Derek Stepan. Rangers GM Glen Sather is not prepared to do either.

Reports from Lebrun and Kings Insider suggest Los Angeles is definitely in the mix, but may be waiting for the Thrashers to lower their asking price. The Sporting News' Craig Custance, a former Atlanta beat writer, noted if the Kings are serious about acquiring Kovalchuk, they may have to part with Wayne Simmonds, whose game the Thrashers "like and respect."

CBC's Elliott Friedman says its Simmonds who may be the player Los Angeles is not ready to part with to make this deal happen. The Kings' offer is believed to include Alexander Frolov and Jack Johnson.

According to the Ottawa Sun, Atlanta GM Don Waddell received one deal "he can stomach," but is holding out for more since the Thrashers are still vying for the playoffs.

Initial reports indicated the Boston Bruins, Calgary Flames, Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers were among those looking to land Kovalchuk. Also mentioned were the Vancouver Canucks, who momentarily joined the fray and left it as quickly.

The Bruins are still interested in Kovalchuk, although their pitch to Atlanta is not considered one of the more aggressive ones, says the Boston Globe.

"It's not a done deal yet and thus far Boston really hasn't been in the thick of it," an anonymous source told the Globe. They're in it, with 7-8 other teams, but their offer hasn't been near the top."

TSN's Bob McKenzie reported Tuesday the Flames not in the mix for Kovalchuk. Custance said the Blackhawks are not interested, either. The media in Calgary and Chicago, however, has been rather silent in the wake of the Kovalchuk news, so it is hard to determine whether the Flames and Hawks are truly out of the running.

Lebrun reported the Flyers were still in the mix as of last night. Reports out of Philadelphia suggest otherwise. According to the Philadelphia Daily News, team sources said there is no interest in Kovalchuk. Philadelphia has the kind of players and prospects Atlanta would probably want in return, but the Flyers would need to make significant changes to its salary cap-strapped roster. That is not something GM Paul Holmgren has indicated he is willing to do.

Last night, the Camden Courier Post reported any deal would probably involve Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux and/or James vanRimesdyk. Friedman reports it is Scott Hartnell who has been mentioned in proposals, as Holmgren will not trade Carter.

brian822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

^

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Jester

I would be ECSTATIC if the Rangers made that deal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Jebus. A report that suggested the Flyers would package Carter, Giroux and/or JVR?

The Flyers better be out of the Kovalchuk running with that offer.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Jebus. A report that suggested the Flyers would package Carter, Giroux and/or JVR?

Hell, this could be win for the Flyers either way...Rangers dealing away one of their two good young D, for a one-way forward that is going to cost them a FORTUNE to keep and lock them into a roster of Gaborik (inury risk) and Kovy?

Sign me up.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I thought it was more, but can't say I really paid that close attention. I still say **** him if $100 million is not good enough over any amount of years. When you're talking numbers like that it's just getting stupidly greedy. You're set for life for playing a game for a few years.
12 years 100 mill is an 8.33 cap hit.

We could do that and front load it. Don't know how I feel about that though.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:05 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

For what its worth, Ray Ferraro thinks Kovalchuk is going to Philadelphia.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
I just think he has zero interest in being in Atlanta...it isn't necessarily just the money. I do think he's going to look for (and get) an exorbitant contract from someone (whether that's in the NHL or not is a good question to ask).

Old
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

It's ESPN. Bob McKenzie says our offer was centered on Hartnell and Carle. If thats true then I'm happy. Even if we don't get him it just means that Holmgren is doing his due diligence. If you can get Kovalchuk for those 2 and something else of lesser value, even if you don't re-sign him you get cap space. We had to give Anaheim an extra first round pick just to take Lupul.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just think he has zero interest in being in Atlanta...it isn't necessarily just the money. I do think he's going to look for (and get) an exorbitant contract from someone (whether that's in the NHL or not is a good question to ask).
I think their camp would be receptive to something like Hossa's deal. You load it up at like 8 years of 8 or 9 million, with a couple of cheap years on the back end to lower the hit to something more manageable like high 6 low 7.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I think their camp would be receptive to something like Hossa's deal. You load it up at like 8 years of 8 or 9 million, with a couple of cheap years on the back end to lower the hit to something more manageable like high 6 low 7.
I will be curious if anyone in the NHL does one of those deals this coming offseason after the ****storm that followed last year. I mean, hell, they are (still!) investigating the Pronger contract...which the Flyers can't get out from under even if they want to...

Old
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I could live with that.

11, 11, 9, 9, 7, 7, 5, 5

= 64 mill in 8 years = 8

he gets the bonus of playing in a hockey market and he plays for a team that only cares about winning.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

I'd give them Hartnell and Carle. But that's not going to cut it, they're going to want prospect.

He does want to sign with a team who has a chance. We have a great chance.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Jester

Wow, Eklund with a fantastic observation for once...

Quote:
Think about it. Here he is....trying to make the trade of his career. A trade that may well define the future of an entire franchise in Atlanta....and the player is going to play in a hotly contested tournament for two weeks for free, essentially putting the millions of dollars spent on him and hockey in Atlanta as a whole at great risk.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...t-Risk/1/26033

Kovy HAS TO be traded prior to the Olympics.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hell, this could be win for the Flyers either way...Rangers dealing away one of their two good young D, for a one-way forward that is going to cost them a FORTUNE to keep and lock them into a roster of Gaborik (inury risk) and Kovy?

Sign me up.
and they would have a HUGE hole at center as well, as a signed Kovalchuk would mean no Jokinen,Prospal and possibly Dubinsky as well. They would have Drury and then uhhhh Erik Christensen down the middle?
ouch lol
EDIT: as far as Kovalchuk turning down that huge offer from Atlanta to resign is just him saying I dont want to play in Atlanta beyond this season. Of course the Thrashers will also be dealing with Afinogenov as well, as he has said that if Kovalchuk goes so do I.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Agreed. Kovalchuk coming out saying he is playing kinda proves that to me. Waddell is trying to make it seem like he has no problems walking away from a deal, in order to give himself more leverage.

Kovalchuk coming out and saying it's business as usual the day after he was told he is being traded kinda makes me think I'm right. Waddell said look, we will trade you, we just need you to go along with this plan and tell me where you want to go, and I will get the best deal I can for this franchise.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:16 PM
McNasty

Quote:
I will be curious if anyone in the NHL does one of those deals this coming offseason after the ****storm that followed last year. I mean, hell, they are (still!) investigating the Pronger contract...which the Flyers can't get out from under even if they want to...
I don't see what they could possibly do until the CBA is up, and I'm sure this type of thing will be addressed. Investigating the Pronger contract makes me laugh, what sort of advantage could we gain if he retired before that deal was up? Frankly if Kovalchuk wants that kind of money the only way its going to happen is if he takes a deal like that. Nobody can afford a 10 million cap hit

Old
02-04-2010, 01:16 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:

When's the freeze? Like Friday?

Old
02-04-2010, 01:18 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
12th or 13th I think.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:

Sign me up.
Even though Sather can do just about anything, I actually can't imagine him dealing Callahan and Staal in the same trade.

The Dubinsky deal looks more likely from a Rangers stand point, to me.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
I don't see what they could possibly do until the CBA is up, and I'm sure this type of thing will be addressed. Investigating the Pronger contract makes me laugh, what sort of advantage could we gain if he retired before that deal was up? Frankly if Kovalchuk wants that kind of money the only way its going to happen is if he takes a deal like that. Nobody can afford a 10 million cap hit
NHL is a bunch of idiots...my understanding is they can't make any changes without the NHLPA on board (and they're certainly not going to be on board with doing anything about those contracts). So, you're looking at the expiration of the CBA, as opposed to "fixing" it on this one.

They never should have made a fuss about it...however, given the fuss they have made. I would be VERY nervous about signing a player to such a deal for fear that you're going to get effed by the next CBA. If they don't grandfather those contracts into the next deal, you may end up with a few very unhappy franchises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I would assume the last day of games, but don't know off the top of my head.

What's fascinating is...if you're the teams trying to trade for him...you want to wait until after the Olympics.

Atlanta could get SERIOUSLY effed here.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
NHL is a bunch of idiots...my understanding is they can't make any changes without the NHLPA on board (and they're certainly not going to be on board with doing anything about those contracts). So, you're looking at the expiration of the CBA, as opposed to "fixing" it on this one.

They never should have made a fuss about it...however, given the fuss they have made. I would be VERY nervous about signing a player to such a deal for fear that you're going to get effed by the next CBA. If they don't grandfather those contracts into the next deal, you may end up with a few very unhappy franchises.

I would assume the last day of games, but don't know off the top of my head.

What's fascinating is...if you're the teams trying to trade for him...you want to wait until after the Olympics.

Atlanta could get SERIOUSLY effed here.
I would consider Hartnell and Carle for Kovy being seriously eff'd.

Hartnell, Carle and JVR for Kovy is a whole diff animal though.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
That is why NHL players should NOT sign contracts above their talent level, they become throwaway players who get traded.

A $3.5 mill defenseman who can't play solid defense is basically going to be a salary throw-in at this point.
Can't play solid defense? I respectfully disagree.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote