HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with a backhand

Old
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
HopelessOilFan

vCash: 500
Help with a backhand

So, i looked and searched the forums and i could not for the life of me find out the proper way to do a backhand.
I did however discover that there are alot of very informed and helpful people on these forums, so i decided to turn to you guys.

I cant for the life of me get my backhand to have any power or height.
I'm alright if i simply chip it from behind, but i cannot get nearly enough power on it, all i get is height.

I've tried treating is like a wrist shot backwards and i just cant seem to grasp it. My wrist shot, snap shot, and slapper are all at least half decent, and i can aim them with ease, but the backhander kills me.
I can sometimes snap it with a quick flick of the wrists that gets it off the ground a little bit with a bit of velocity, but as soon as i attempt to put my weight into it i doesnt leave the ground at all.

I really feel like i'd be a much bigger threat if i had the ability to shoot off the backhand.
Also, im using a getzlaf curve at the moment, but had the same problems with my gagne, naslund, and sakic curves.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:52 PM
HannaColts

check the position of the bottom hand, usually when you take wristers the bottom hand is sideways,

for backhands keep your hand more ontop of the stick..

aka your thumb and pointer finger make a V, instead of that v fitting in the corner of your shaft, make it go directly on top.

HannaColts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
So, i looked and searched the forums and i could not for the life of me find out the proper way to do a backhand.
I did however discover that there are alot of very informed and helpful people on these forums, so i decided to turn to you guys.

I'm alright if i simply chip it from behind, but i cannot get nearly enough power on it, all i get is height.

I've tried treating is like a wrist shot backwards and i just cant seem to grasp it. My wrist shot, snap shot, and slapper are all at least half decent, and i can aim them with ease, but the backhander kills me.
I can sometimes snap it with a quick flick of the wrists that gets it off the ground a little bit with a bit of velocity, but as soon as i attempt to put my weight into it i doesnt leave the ground at all.

I really feel like i'd be a much bigger threat if i had the ability to shoot off the backhand.
Also, im using a getzlaf curve at the moment, but had the same problems with my gagne, naslund, and sakic curves.
Ok, here we go.....
  1. Spread your skates about 2 to about 2-1/2 feet apart!
  2. Place the your stick on your chest to cause a line of sight so that the sick is facing or pointing at the goalie.
  3. This means that your body will be facing the boards and your shoulder will point that the goalie.
  4. Next, place the puck so it's past the far skate from the goalie.
  5. Adjust your weight balance so that your whole weight of your body is balanced over that far leg.
  6. Now, start off with the top hand on your stick so that the puck is almost at full length at the end of your stretched out arm.
  7. Then use that top hand to bring that puck forward until it get to that back leg.
  8. Make sure that you don't adjust your weight over that leg.
  9. Once the puck gets to that back skate, you place that bottom hand on the shaft.
  10. Once you hand is on the shaft, add a little pressure on the blade by adding a little weight transfer and as the puck move forward towards the center of your skates.
  11. How at this point, more pressure needs to be added to the shaft.
  12. Important: As the puck moves forward, you transfer the weight from the back skate to the front skate so that the weight is transfer only on the front leg.
  13. Once the puck is almost to the front skate, you have two ways to lunch the puck.
  14. One, is to shovel the puck which will lift the puck high. It's like shoveling the dog sh** in the backyard over to the neighbors fence...LOL
  15. Second way: Once the puck gets to the front foot, roll your wrist fo that the blade points to the target.

Now, the key to making this really work is the body weight transfer from back leg to front leg. The tranfer has to be smooth from start to finish. Don't stop in between. Once you start, don't stop until you release the puck.

Now, I recommend that you work on the weight transfer technique without the ouck first. After you have the back leg weight to front leg weight transfer down, then add a puck.

Have any questions....PM.

Hope this helps....good luck!
Head coach

02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

I use a Getzlaf type pattern and believe me when I say this unless you are skilled on the backhand you will have troubles using this very open faced blade for backhanders.

I'm pretty decent at backhanders and have a heck of a time with it using this pattern. I have to use the heel to mid portion of the blade and it was an adjustment.

The other patterns you mentioned I am not familiar with but you want a pattern that is an all around all purpose type pattern. Close faced, not very curved is a pattern you want. Good for passing, good for backhanders etc.

Headcoach described it above but if you need a visual here is a very basic technique that you should be able to do easily with not much practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2MnODQNtqo

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:38 AM
HopelessOilFan

Thanks alot for the replies, im heading to the rink tonight to test them out, ill let you know how it goes.

Old
02-03-2010, 10:40 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

One thing to remember, if you're skating along fast and are in near the net and need to roof a backhand, a rolling puck makes the job a lot easier!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:50 AM
SuicideKings15

DON'T: Open the face like a chipping wedge to try and get more height on the shot. Many people do this; you will flub the shot.

SuicideKings15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
HopelessOilFan

So, i think one of my problems may be weak wrists.
I tried all i could and i seemed to get some power behind it but couldnt get it very far off the ground, unless i chipped it.

Also, after watching that youtube video i noticed i do almost the exact opposite of her when i backhand.
When she flicked her wrists the toe of her blade went upwards, where as mine points downwards when im finished.
It just feels awkward to do it the other way.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
So, i think one of my problems may be weak wrists.
I tried all i could and i seemed to get some power behind it but couldnt get it very far off the ground, unless i chipped it.

Also, after watching that youtube video i noticed i do almost the exact opposite of her when i backhand.
When she flicked her wrists the toe of her blade went upwards, where as mine points downwards when im finished.
It just feels awkward to do it the other way.
Nope...now such thing as weak wrists. Well, the whole concept of the blade pointing towards the goalie is to add accuracy to your shot.

Let me ask you this? Did you work on the back leg to front leg weight transfer?
Plus, did you start with the puck at the heel? It must start at the heel and then move forward towards the tip of the blade.

Plus, what I want you to do is adjust the launch point. At the point of launch, you have to make sure that the stick continues to have full forward pressure on the puck when you are pushing it. Yes, this sound kind of crazy.

But if you don't have forward movement then the backhand shot becomes weak. During that back hand shot you have to have the feeling that you are adding more pressure to the puck at launch time. Plus, make sure that this pressure stay on the puck as you follow through.

Adjust the point of release on the puck. Try it a little more forward off the leg that is near to the goalie by about a 1/2 to 1 inch. See if this helps in lifting the puck. You might be releasing the puck too early causing it to fly low.

I guess at this point the only thing I can tell you is....practice!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Semin

Those are some good tips. For me its weird in practice when I sit there and work on the backhand I can't get a good one off. But in a game when I don't think about make the perfect shot I just do it and have a ton of success. But yeah just keep practicing, it will all pay off for you eventually.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
sherwood sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Nope...now such thing as weak wrists. Well, the whole concept of the blade pointing towards the goalie is to add accuracy to your shot.

Plus, did you start with the puck at the heel? It must start at the heel and then move forward towards the tip of the blade.

Plus, what I want you to do is adjust the launch point. At the point of launch, you have to make sure that the stick continues to have full forward pressure on the puck when you are pushing it. Yes, this sound kind of crazy.

But if you don't have forward movement then the backhand shot becomes weak. During that back hand shot you have to have the feeling that you are adding more pressure to the puck at launch time. Plus, make sure that this pressure stay on the puck as you follow through.

Adjust the point of release on the puck. Try it a little more forward off the leg that is near to the goalie by about a 1/2 to 1 inch. See if this helps in lifting the puck. You might be releasing the puck too early causing it to fly low.

Head coach
Just to add to your tips.....

Make sure you start with the puck on heel of the stick.

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
noobman

Think of the backhander as a back-handed wrist shot. A lot of the mechanics are the same.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:

Head coach
I think i may have it figured out. What i was doing before was turning my blade down when i finished instead of up, so going from heel to toe, the puck spun but it was in a downward spin the entire time and would barely get any air.

i adjusted to turn my toe upwards which still feels a bit awkward but it worked. After i got that down i started working on the weight transfer from back leg to front, and made sure not to let off the shot at all untill it was where i wanted it and it was perfect.

Thanks a ton for the tips, i see i turned to the right people!

Old
02-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I think i may have it figured out. What i was doing before was turning my blade down when i finished instead of up, so going from heel to toe, the puck spun but it was in a downward spin the entire time and would barely get any air.

i adjusted to turn my toe upwards which still feels a bit awkward but it worked. After i got that down i started working on the weight transfer from back leg to front, and made sure not to let off the shot at all untill it was where i wanted it and it was perfect.

Thanks a ton for the tips, i see i turned to the right people!
HF The Rink patrons know their schtuff.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:50 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Think of the backhander as a back-handed wrist shot. A lot of the mechanics are the same.
Exactly. You're just basically switching hands and doing everything in the reverse direction. The really hard part is doing it in game, at full speed, that takes practice, and some luck.

Old
02-05-2010, 02:43 PM
HowToHockey

I think this article may help you How to take a backahnd I will also be posting an article soon for the up close backhands when you want to put it top shelf quickly. I will break it down here for you though.

For in close backhands, to get them up quick

1. have the puck in front of you, and forward in your stance
2. bend away from the puck, to get low, also allows you to get more of a wedge on the blade
3. then just sort of shovel the puck up top shelf, use a flick of your wrists for more height and spped
4. I find it is a bit easier using closer to the toe of the blade for this one

All of these tips ONLY apply to up close backhanders, as you will get very little power using this technique

For further away shots you want to treat it sort of like a wrist shot, the difference is the release point, when you release the puck from the blade on a backhand you want it to be from the middle of the blade, you will lose a lot of accuracy and power if you let the puck roll off the toe of the blade. Hope those tips help, check out my article, and I will have some videos posted soon. You can subscribe to the posts if you want to get the articles when I post them.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Exactly. You're just basically switching hands and doing everything in the reverse direction. The really hard part is doing it in game, at full speed, that takes practice, and some luck.
well you are not really switching hands, Your top hand remains the same, but it is similar in motion.

Old
02-05-2010, 02:50 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Did you work on the back leg to front leg weight transfer?

Head coach
I agree with weight transfer but for heel to tip I disagree, while this is the proper way with a wrist shot, I find with a backhand the curve is in the wrong direction and going heel to tip makes the shot less accurate.

Sometimes you can even just start and finish with the puck right in the middle of the blade, as long as you have a good snap. I will have some videos showing all of this up soon, just working on the intro and editing right now

Old
02-05-2010, 03:10 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
well you are not really switching hands, Your top hand remains the same, but it is similar in motion.
I just meant the top hand is more for power in the backhand than wrister! You did a very good job of explaining it from every angle.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I just meant the top hand is more for power in the backhand than wrister! You did a very good job of explaining it from every angle.
Thanks Don, I figured that, just wanted to make it as clear as possible, which is always tough when putting actions into text.