HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Jack Johnson expendable?

Old
02-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
Is Jack Johnson expendable?

With the emergence of Doughty (who is arguably leaps and bounds ahead of Jack in most areas of the game, if not ALL areas of the game), and with Voinov, Hickey, Teubert and Muzzin waiting in the wings, I ask you this - Is Jack Johnson expendable?

Being that Johnson was tough to sign this past offseason and only would agree to a relatively short-term contract, coupled with what happened in the press a couple weeks ago, one would think that signing Johnson to a new deal in the summer of 2011 is going to be even tougher, especially if Johnson's camp can't forgive and forget. Lombardi's comments clearly pissed Jack and his camp off quite a bit and I think it's safe to assume that there is still some animosity there.

With all the talk of Johnson being the centerpiece of a deal for Kovalchuk, I have to think that the reports of Lombardi not be willing to deal him may not be entirely true.

Don't get me wrong - I like Jack a lot and would like him to stay on the Kings. But if there's a chance that we can get a 50 goal guy with Jack and pieces going the other way, it would be a tough decision.

Yes, Kovalchuk may or may not re-sign here if we were to acquire him but I think there would be a good chance that he WOULD stay. This organization has a lot to offer him - Money, team stability, loads of playing time, one of the best young teams in the league, and in the next few years (hopefully sooner), the chance to win a cup. Oh, and don't forget the fact that it's LA and not Atlanta (no offense, Atlantians).

If Johnson is the key piece to the puzzle, I say take the risk and get Ilya to LA.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
For Kovalchuk? Yes. For just about anyone else? No. The only way I would part with him is for something on the order of a package for a top player in the league. I would keep him in just about any other situation. He isn't on the trade table in my opinion unless there is something significant coming the other way. Don't fret though, I think Dean disagrees with me. I think he is keeping Johnson regardless.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Short Term: It'd probably be difficult replacing his defensive pin-and-seal game that's worked well enough so far.

Long Term: Yes, he's very expendable.

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

I read this initially as expandable and was ready with an answer. Then, I read it again. Damn.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:22 AM
William H Bonney

Everyone is expendable for the right price. Waddell's requests aren't close.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:24 AM
wicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Everyone is expendable for the right price. Waddell's requests aren't close.
Yup.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
For Kovalchuk? Yes. For just about anyone else? No. The only way I would part with him is for something on the order of a package for a top player in the league. I would keep him in just about any other situation. He isn't on the trade table in my opinion unless there is something significant coming the other way. Don't fret though, I think Dean disagrees with me. I think he is keeping Johnson regardless.
I agree. However, I still think if Jack stays we're going to have a hell of a time re-signing him when he's an RFA again. Especially if his Dad has any involvement in contract talks. I have always thought Johnson would one day end up in Pittsburgh to play with Crosby. Better yet, maybe we can land Crosby in a few years when he's UFA and they can play together here .

To clarify though, I wouldn't want to see Johnson dealt unless it was to bring an impact player like Kovalchuk back in return.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:47 AM
johnjm22

In the investing world, the saying goes Buy low, sell high. In other words: You don't trade an asset whens its value is at a low point.

Johnson's game continues to improve, and he has tons of upside. His stock is going to go much, much higher.

And what's this talk of "Johnson being tough to sign this past offseason." That's the first I've heard of that.

Last edited by johnjm22: 02-04-2010 at 02:55 AM.
johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:50 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
For the right player Jack can be dealt

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:08 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

"For the right price" doesn't equate to expendable. Expendable would be like trading him for picks and without hesitation in which case I would say no.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:13 AM
Shellz

I'm okay with not getting Kovalchook.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
And what's this talk of "Johnson being tough to sign this past offseason." That's the first I've heard of that.
You don't remember this?

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...on-to-khl.html

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=279172

Old
02-04-2010, 05:12 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

I don't think you can trade him right now. It leaves too big of a gap, and then the expectation that we have to fill that gap. It just doesn't work out in my mind. We traded Quincey because we had Drew and Jack. We just cannot trade Jack now.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:22 AM
johnjm22

None of those claims were ever substantiated. He signed a CAP friendly contract of 1.4M, and will still be an RFA when it's up. If he was being difficult he wouldn't have signed a contract like that.

Do you remember the Frolov is over weight, and an alcoholic rumors?

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:33 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I remember that based on what actually happened there was nothing to it.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:57 AM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

If the Kings drafted Tyler Myers instead of Colten Teubert, I'd say yes. But we didn't, so the asnwer is no. Hickey isn't ready, Voinov isn't ready, and neither is the aforementioned Teubert. You want to give more ice time to Harrold or Jones or possibly Martinez? I didn't think so.

Jack Johnson is finally putting it all together and you guys want to ship him out of town?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:23 AM
redcard

NHL players make the prospects that have never played a game in the league expendable. Not the other way around.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:46 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
If the Kings drafted Tyler Myers instead of Colten Teubert, I'd say yes. But we didn't, so the asnwer is no. Hickey isn't ready, Voinov isn't ready, and neither is the aforementioned Teubert. You want to give more ice time to Harrold or Jones or possibly Martinez? I didn't think so.

Jack Johnson is finally putting it all together and you guys want to ship him out of town?
Exactly.. TM said that they missed Johnson during the Boston game.. JJ is finally playing well and you guys are saying that he decided to sign a short term contract, that's not necessarily true. Dean did the deal so that when the contract expires, he's still a restricted free agent. 1.4 million dollars for a player like Jack Johnson is a bargain, why would you trade that away? To play guys like Harrold, Martinez (horrible) and Randy Jones? Come on guys, let's be real, we trade for Kovalchuk and he probably won't re-sign here, let's keep the assets, and sign Kovy on July 1st... unless Waddell wants Frolov, Purcell and Teubert, then I'd do the deal for the un-signed Kovalchuk

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Drewiskie
Hickey
Voinov
Teubert
Muzzin
Deslaures

Jack is a great player but he could be had especially on the deal he is on. I don't see him being around too long in LA with all the contracts we will have to up soon.

Voinov will need a shot soon imho because the KHL is always looming.

Last edited by Knight of the Realm: 02-04-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Drewiskie
Hickey
Voinov
Teubert
Muzzin
Deslaures

Jack is a great player but he could be had especially on the deal he is on. I don't see him being around too long in LA with all the contracts we will have to up soon.

Those are all prospects. They haven't proven anything in the NHL. Trading JJ for rental Kovy would be a mistake. If the kings sign Kovy to an extension in lieu of the trade, trade him. Otherwise stay the course.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Hickey
Voinov
Teubert
Muzzin
Deslaures

You just listed 5 names that don't have any NHL experience, three of which are still in juniors and one is on long-term IR.

We don't know how these players will fare in the NHL. Seeing how the Kings played without Johnson for one game should have been enough for Kings fans to see how much the team needs a player like Jack.

In my mind, he has all the tools to be a "total package" on defense. He is quite possibly the best skater on the team. He is fast, he is strong, he can play with an edge and he has a lethal shot (when he can get it on net). He's having a career year and is continuing to show progression in all aspects of his game. His ceiling is very high and he is very far from reaching his prime (and dmen don't hit their prime until their 30s).

I'd rather keep Jack.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:23 AM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You just listed 5 names that don't have any NHL experience, three of which are still in juniors and one is on long-term IR.

We don't know how these players will fare in the NHL. Seeing how the Kings played without Johnson for one game should have been enough for Kings fans to see how much the team needs a player like Jack.

In my mind, he has all the tools to be a "total package" on defense. He is quite possibly the best skater on the team. He is fast, he is strong, he can play with an edge and he has a lethal shot (when he can get it on net). He's having a career year and is continuing to show progression in all aspects of his game. His ceiling is very high and he is very far from reaching his prime (and dmen don't hit their prime until their 30s).

I'd rather keep Jack.
I'll second this. I think the whole Kovalchuk situation would really screw the Kings over long term. He's not taking a Hollywood discount, he's going to go for big money, and if we signed him to a long term deal we're not only kissing Johnson good-bye in terms of trading for him, but we'd really struggle to resign Doughty, Simmonds, Quick, and our other emerging stars in the long term. Kovalchuk bothers me because there's no sense of him wanting to have a good team built around him. He wants the money and he wants it now. If he wants to play for a winner, he has to take the pay cut, it's that simple. Otherwise, he'll be a great player on teams always on the playoff bubble without the depth to challenge in the playoffs. No thank you, we've gone through that, we have character players here and we're not really at the point of needing a rental. If we didn't have Smyth's albatross contract on the books (no complaints about Smyth btw, just noting that his salary throws getting a player like Kovy into a real tailspin because of when the big raises for our young guns come up). I think Johnson is going to be a much easier sign. I'd really like to see Dean step up and offer Doughty and Johnson good, solid long-term contracts and tell them that they're the cornerstones of the defense. After all, I'd rather have a young Borque and Chelios who are committed to the team long term than Kovy any day. We're all salivating over his goals, I'm salivating over the thought of Doughty and Johnson's competitiveness and budding complete games come playoff time.

Now, if Waddell's willing to go for Frolov, Purcell, and Jones with a second for rental Kovy, then I'm all for the deal.

T2m

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:28 AM
SFKingshomer

Hell no. We don't have anyone in the system ready to replace JJ. Do not trade him DL, even for Kovalchuk.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWebster
Main Entry: 1ex·pend·able
Pronunciation: \ik-ˈspen-də-bəl\
Function: adjective
Date: 1805
: that may be expended: as a : normally used up or consumed in service <expendable supplies like pencils and paper> b : more easily or economically replaced than rescued, salvaged, or protected
ex·pend·abil·i·ty \-ˌspen-də-ˈbi-lə-tē\ noun

No. I don't see how he is easily replaced. You should watch him closer if you think that he could be.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
santiclaws

I wouldn't trade him for a rental Kovalchuk in the hopes that Kovalchuk signs here, a very big "if." FOr one thing, the Kings simply don't have anyone to replace him. I also happen to think he'll still be a very good defenseman some day. If they do trade him for Kovy, there would be pressure on the Kings to sign Kovy at whatever price, so that the trade of Johnson is not "wasted." I'd do it only if Kovy and the Kings agreed to an extension, which ain't gonna happen.

santiclaws is online now   Reply With Quote