HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Jack Johnson expendable?

Old
02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
RightKinger

vCash: 500
If Lombardi did trade Jack then he would probably make a trade for a defensman before the deadline. Atleast...think he would because giving Jones even more ice time than he is already getting is a scary thought. We also have Drewiske who has some offensive ability. I don't know who DL could trade for to help replace Jack for now but ya.

No chance of happening but lets say the Kovy deal did go down...Kaberle for 2010 First + Purcell?

Doughty-Scuderi
Kaberle-Greene
Drewiske-O'Donnell

Last edited by RightKinger: 02-04-2010 at 11:00 AM.
RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Yes

Dump him while we can before the rest of the league catches on

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:01 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
If the Kings drafted Tyler Myers instead of Colten Teubert, I'd say yes. But we didn't, so the asnwer is no. Hickey isn't ready, Voinov isn't ready, and neither is the aforementioned Teubert. You want to give more ice time to Harrold or Jones or possibly Martinez? I didn't think so.

Jack Johnson is finally putting it all together and you guys want to ship him out of town?

i think that even if they had drafted Myers the answer would be - not yet. in the Kings system, there's no proof that Tyler wouldn't still be playing junior hockey right now.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:09 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

If, for some reason, Johnson doesn't want to stay with the Kings when his contract expires, than he'll be traded at that time. My feeling is that the recent situation with Lombardi has been over blown and that Lombardi may have just made a poor choice in motivational tactics. I believe Johnson is happy with the organization and would rather stay than leave.

I agree with others who see him as a future star. I hope he remains with the Kings for a long time.

Also, I don't see Lombardi giving up much for any rental player, even a gem like Kovalchuck.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

We have nobody to replace him so no, I don't think he is expendable.. even if he always has a silly grin.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
We have nobody to replace him so no, I don't think he is expendable.. even if he always has a silly grin.
and a bad haircut

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

So who would do this?

To ATL:
Jack Johnson
Alexander Frolov
Purcell
2010 or 2011 first
(pretty much B.M's proposal with a first thrown in for negotiating)

To LA
Kov signed at 8 years 70 million with a NMC

Just curious....

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
So who would do this?

To ATL:
Jack Johnson
Alexander Frolov
Purcell
2010 or 2011 first

To LA

Just curious....
probably everybody but the Atlanta Thrashers.

Old
02-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
probably everybody but the Atlanta Thrashers.
I concur wholeheartedly my good friend but The Bob disagrees:

"If Atlanta is going to do a deal with Los Angeles, the Thrashers want defenceman Jack Johnson as part of the package. Thus far, the Kings have rejected that notion entirely. The conventional wisdom is that the Kings could trade Johnson, centre Alexander Frolov and a prospect such as Ted Purcell (or one of their many other young prospects) for Kovalchuk and the deal would be done in the snap of the fingers."

Old
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:

"If Atlanta is going to do a deal with Los Angeles, the Thrashers want defenceman Jack Johnson as part of the package. Thus far, the Kings have rejected that notion entirely. The conventional wisdom is that the Kings could trade Johnson, centre Alexander Frolov and a prospect such as Ted Purcell (or one of their many other young prospects) for Kovalchuk and the deal would be done in the snap of the fingers."
That's with the assumption that Kovy and his agent aren't allowed to talk to the Kings before the trade so the proposal wouldn't include a signed Kovy, thus taking on the risk of Kovy walking and decreasing the Kings offer.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
wabwat

Quote:

i have read this a few times and... well, a writer Bob is NOT. i can't quite make heads or tails of the bookends: conventional wisdom and the deal would be done in the snap of the fingers.

if that WERE the case and the meat in between was the deal, then WHY hasn't it been done? surely everyone of us would have "snapped" our fingers by now... no?

Old
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
i have read this a few times and... well, a writer Bob is NOT. i can't quite make heads or tails of the bookends: conventional wisdom and the deal would be done in the snap of the fingers.

if that WERE the case and the meat in between was the deal, then WHY hasn't it been done? surely everyone of us would have "snapped" our fingers by now... no?
Well I don't know. Thats why I posted it here. You know how discerning Kings fans are. I was jsut taking the proverbial temperature but yes I see your point that The Bob is by no stretch a Vollmann.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:

To be fair to Bob those articles TSN posts under his name are just transcripts of what he says on the air IIRC.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
So who would do this?

To ATL:
Jack Johnson
Alexander Frolov
Purcell
2010 or 2011 first
(pretty much B.M's proposal with a first thrown in for negotiating)

To LA

Just curious....
I'd be fine with that deal as long as we trade for a defenseman to replace Johnson. I don't really want Kovalchuk but that's not a lot to give up.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
northernKing

From what I have seen and heard JJ is closer to DD in performance than Teubert, Hickey, Muzzin are to JJ.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Given his production, ice time and contract he's actually a bargain. And he's easily my least favorite player on the Kings. 2 reasons why-one, almost every time they are re-playing a goal against you will see Jack Johnson on the ice out of position looking at the puck or looking at the guy he should have been covering. Second, he has to lead the league in shots deflected or blocked when he shoots. I've never seen an NHL dman get more shots blocked or deflected on the way to the net. That said he should score 2 goals tonight. But, the most important part of the scenario is that Jack is signed at a very good rate and then he will hit RFA status. Lombardi is squarely in the driver seat so there is no need to trade him. The Kings need to somehow convince Jack that his minus totals are an embarrassment, he needs to work on his defensive zone coverage and his reads of plays as they are happening. And like Doughty maybe he needs to change his curve or work on his shot from the point. He doesn't need to score but those shots need to get through or they are turnovers, get some damn power on those tricklers from the point (he's definetely going top shelf tonight). Given what the Kings currently have ready for a playoff push Jack is not expendable at this time unless an offensive dman like Kaberle is coming the other way.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

That's the opposite of what I see Tik. Most of the time he's got his man boxed out and the opposing player goes around his D partners man and he's left scrambling to cover.

If JJ is playing his role in TM's system, then I think your "He is easily my least favorite player on the team" comment shows what you really see.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Diving Pokecheck*

Just food for thought, JMFJ has more points this season than noteworthy offensive defensemen such as

Francois Beuchimen
Dion Phaneuf!
Kyle Quincey!
Kris Letang
Jay Bouwmeester!

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Given his production, ice time and contract he's actually a bargain. And he's easily my least favorite player on the Kings. 2 reasons why-one, almost every time they are re-playing a goal against you will see Jack Johnson on the ice out of position looking at the puck or looking at the guy he should have been covering. Second, he has to lead the league in shots deflected or blocked when he shoots. I've never seen an NHL dman get more shots blocked or deflected on the way to the net. That said he should score 2 goals tonight. But, the most important part of the scenario is that Jack is signed at a very good rate and then he will hit RFA status. Lombardi is squarely in the driver seat so there is no need to trade him. The Kings need to somehow convince Jack that his minus totals are an embarrassment, he needs to work on his defensive zone coverage and his reads of plays as they are happening. And like Doughty maybe he needs to change his curve or work on his shot from the point. He doesn't need to score but those shots need to get through or they are turnovers, get some damn power on those tricklers from the point (he's definetely going top shelf tonight). Given what the Kings currently have ready for a playoff push Jack is not expendable at this time unless an offensive dman like Kaberle is coming the other way.

You a-hole, he only score ONE goal and it was not top shelf!!!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
That's the opposite of what I see Tik. Most of the time he's got his man boxed out and the opposing player goes around his D partners man and he's left scrambling to cover.

If JJ is playing his role in TM's system, then I think your "He is easily my least favorite player on the team" comment shows what you really see.
Well, my points were proved last night. 1 goal, 3 assists and a minus one. He was out there for every goal against I believe-the Jones-Johnson D pairing is lethal. Not blaming Johnson because he had his man covered on the replays I saw but he is still out there when the other team scores. He might not be the guy you can point at and say it was his fault but the plays that led up to it he is certainly a part of. His defensive game needs ALOT of work, not just covering his man but forcing guys to bad scoring areas, denying the puck, etc. He had a great game last night and was a minus one, that sums up his career so far in the NHL.

Old
02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
You a-hole, he only score ONE goal and it was not top shelf!!!
I knew if I critiqued him he would score. I guess he's no Owen Nolan when it comes to calling his shot top shelf.

Old
02-05-2010, 09:54 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I hope to see a marked improvement in Johnson's +/- when Drewiske replaces Jones in the lineup. It's time for that to happen now. I don't care how long the winning streak is, it isn't because Jones is in the lineup.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:45 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Well, my points were proved last night. 1 goal, 3 assists and a minus one. He was out there for every goal against I believe-the Jones-Johnson D pairing is lethal. Not blaming Johnson because he had his man covered on the replays I saw but he is still out there when the other team scores. He might not be the guy you can point at and say it was his fault but the plays that led up to it he is certainly a part of. His defensive game needs ALOT of work, not just covering his man but forcing guys to bad scoring areas, denying the puck, etc. He had a great game last night and was a minus one, that sums up his career so far in the NHL.
What!?!? So you're saying he was doing his job, the goals against weren't his fault, but that he needs to improve his defensive game?

Are you under the impression that Johnson's job in the zone is to play defense for the entire team?

IMO, Johnson's minus rating this year is far more reflective of his partner/team than it is of his own defensive play. Am I saying he's a top-notch, shut down defender? No. But he's a VERY CAPABLE defenseman right now.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
LaLaLand

Nothing short of a complete overpayment will pry Jack out of la la land

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Especially after that 4 point night last night!

I like Jack - I just hope we can sign him long term when he's a RFA again.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote