HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk: A case for Detroit as the "mystery suitor"

Old
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
It wouldn't shock me if Kovalchuk went there and signed for less to play with Datsyuk.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
deflowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesJokebook View Post
Darcy Regier is not going to piss away valuable future assets for a two month rental. That's not how he has ever worked, thankfully.

He would acquire kovalchuk if the right deal came along, but much like in free agency, idiot gm's are going to pay ridiculous prices for Kovalchuk and Regier won't get involved.
Maybe he could package some young players with Pominville in a Salary Dump/Rental. Even if Kovalchuk walks in the offseason, that may be a good move for Buffalo, and it helps Atlanta reach the salary floor.

deflowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
TheCH*

Detroit has a better style than to do something foolish like pick up Kovalchuk. You don't remain a great team for such an extended period of time by giving up a kings ransom for a pure rental(unless they would plan to resign him for his 10 or 11mil/year - which i am sure they wouldn't).

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
lilja4mvp

stuart, cleary, and rafalski all have a NTC this year.

obviously none of them would waive them to go to atlanta.

lilja4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Detroit has a better style than to do something foolish like pick up Kovalchuk. You don't remain a great team for such an extended period of time by giving up a kings ransom for a pure rental(unless they would plan to resign him for his 10 or 11mil/year - which i am sure they wouldn't).
Kovalchuk only asked Atlanta for the outlandish contract to force them to trade him.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Do you not remember the season where they picked up Chelios, Samuelsson, Ranford and Wendel Clark?

But seriously though. Holland doesnt have any pressure from the owners this season to win the cup. The organisation was prepared that theis would be a transition year and wont give up young players. The only players I see leaving in a trade would be Stuart and one of the lower line wingers like Williams maybe.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltatross View Post
Not willing to give up Franzen, even if it is for superstar Kovy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilja4mvp View Post
stuart, cleary, and rafalski all have a NTC this year.

obviously none of them would waive them to go to atlanta.

Putting aside my belief that Holland would never give up roster players whose contracts aren't expiring for a rental...... He also wouldn't give up a 30 G guy with a $4 MM cap hit to get an incremental 10+ goals at a significantly higher cap hit. (Same thinking when it came to signing Franzen or Hossa).

Stuart isn't going anywhere, not with the IT he's pulling in Detroit.

Filppula is a name that probably would need to be on any such list; and as mentioned on the Wings board, the rights to Hudler could be an interesting option in lieu of some of the other demands.

Smith/Tatar/Ferrero would not be part of any trade talk, imo.

Old
02-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Birko19

Not happening, it would be too much of a hassle to deal with, at this point Detroit's deadline deal is getting Franzen back, why on earth would be part with guys like him and Cleary who play well in the playoffs while Kovy is just a rental? Sorry, I like the clutch play of Franzen too much to part with it, for all we know Kovy might never work out.

Chemistry seems to be quite underrated on these boards and the Wings this season got a taste of it, of course should something decent gets worked out then great, but looking at our cap space and our assets I doubt Kovalchuk is a guy we can get.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
It wouldn't shock me if Kovalchuk went there and signed for less to play with Datsyuk.
Yes, I was about to write the same thing. Kovy and Dats are good friends, and they will be on the same line for the Olympics without a doubt. I would guess that Kovy would take less money and wouldn't want to be a Detroit rental.

I know Kovy can't talk to teams directly, but all it takes is one phone call to Dats. I would love to see Kovy in Detroit from a hockey enthusiast perspective.

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I call Vancouver as a potential mystery suitor.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:30 PM
ronnyweed

kovy - dats... detroit red, russian red, he'd look good in a wings jersey

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Detroit's only good chance of landing Kovalchuk is on the free agent market this summer, and that's still a big if (mainly, if Lidstrom retires, or if he's willing to take a huge discount).

Trade-wise, there is really no foreseeable way to make it happen. Even if they trade a bunch of marginal salaries (Filppula, Ericsson, somehow convince a guy like Cleary to waive his NTC), they'd be doing so just to barely fit Kovalchuk under the cap, even when unloading 3-4 guys. Then, they'd have a shortage of players, as any call-ups, even those on a minimal salary, would push them over.

The only way this would work would be unloading one big salary for another; IE someone like Rafalski... and that'll never happen. The only guys that make any money on the Wings all have a NTC, and I seriously doubt any will waive it to go to Atlanta.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote