HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else excited to see the post Kovy Thrashers?

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

vCash: 500
Anyone else excited to see the post Kovy Thrashers?

I am.

if Waddell can just not screw up this trade i think we will be just fine. Consider for a moment that our team is very competitive at a relatively low salary number. We have Kovy, Kozzy and White(hopefully) all coming off the books. that is about 13 million alone. we will have lots of space to take on good players without giving up much (:cough: Chicago) from teams that need to clear cap space.

If we can get Kubina re-signed, everyone else that may leave is easily replaceable imo.

Between now and the start of next season will be a very exciting time. and who knows, Kovy may come back on July 1.

I am ready for us to have a good TEAM, not just a star player or 2 combined with a bunch of spare parts like we have always had.

Old
02-04-2010, 08:11 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I was thinking about starting a new thread for this thought, but there is no need to have 80 threads.

With Kovy gone, there is now more pressure than ever for this franchise to be competitive. I can think of two things that NEED to happen in order to get some ST sales next year and beyond (other than new ownership):

1) Make the playoffs. Winning makes it all go away.
2) Waddell gets canned between March 3rd - May (hopefully Duds is the replacement).

Sorry Telfo...Yes...IF Wads can get a decent return, I think we may be very underestimated. The team will have a lot to prove and may come out on fire in March/April.

Old
02-04-2010, 08:19 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I was thinking about starting a new thread for this thought, but there is no need to have 80 threads.

With Kovy gone, there is now more pressure than ever for this franchise to be competitive. I can think of two things that NEED to happen in order to get some ST sales next year and beyond (other than new ownership):

1) Make the playoffs. Winning makes it all go away.
2) Waddell gets canned between March 3rd - May (hopefully Duds is the replacement).

Sorry Telfo...Yes...IF Wads can get a decent return, I think we may be very underestimated. The team will have a lot to prove and may come out on fire in March/April.
If Waddell gets a decent return why would you want to see him gone? Especially after getting Kubina, Antropov and Afinogenov for a sack of magic beans in the off season?

Regarding the OP? Yes, I am excited to see what this team looks like. I'm hoping its up tempo filled with defensive responsibility.

Old
02-04-2010, 08:28 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The offseason gives me some optimism that DW might actually make a good move here, however I do not expect this to be the end of the dealing. I have little doubt we will
miss the playoffs this year, and I question just how well we can do on the UFA market without Ilya helping out.

And the beating we will take at the hands of the Caps on Friday is not going to help matters
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
02-04-2010, 08:38 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
If Waddell gets a decent return why would you want to see him gone? Especially after getting Kubina, Antropov and Afinogenov for a sack of magic beans in the off season?

Regarding the OP? Yes, I am excited to see what this team looks like. I'm hoping its up tempo filled with defensive responsibility.
Because...He's had 10 years with nothing to show. He may have gotten those guys, but they may leave now that Kovy's gone....same old story.

How are you going to sell this team to potential STH's with D-Wad still running things?

Plus, we somehow lured one of the best, proven talent evaluators in the league. It's time he takes over.

Old
02-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

i hope DW's job is really on the line this time. If we get a good return for Kovy AND make the playoffs he stays... he should go if either does not happen.

I would be happy with Dudley taking over. you can even keep DW and president and make Dudley the guy who makes the player decisions if you want, let DW stay on and handle the business part of things. Dudleys strength is talent evaluation.

Dont forget, it was mainly Dudley that built the Lightnings cup winning team and Chicago speaks for itself

Old
02-04-2010, 08:55 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I really think DW has LEAVE. Giving him a promotion sends the wrong message, he needs to pay for the long term damage his mismanagement has done to the franchise.

It will be interesting to see how many show up on Saturday, but like I said. I get the feeling it is going to be a long night in Washington that Friday.

Old
02-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I really think DW has LEAVE. Giving him a promotion sends the wrong message, he needs to pay for the long term damage his mismanagement has done to the franchise.

It will be interesting to see how many show up on Saturday, but like I said. I get the feeling it is going to be a long night in Washington that Friday.
i would show up saturday if i wasnt so poor right now! i may go anyway because it wont be televised

Old
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
DoomMF

I'm not very excited in all honesty. Where are we ranked in payroll right now - with Kovy?

Are we in the Top 20? We haven't really made a serious run at being competitive with Kovy, so I'm not sure I can look forward to it happening without him.

Hell, it took up until a week before the year to sign Max, and who knows where we would have been if he hadn't panned out so well early in the year. Will we strike gold again?

I'm interested, and optimistic about a post-Kovy team, but not excited. Maybe the return on the trade will change things, but I think we're not going to get much back (at least not as much as everyone expects).

Old
02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I'm excited, because it means the beginning of the end for D-Wad. Hopefully. Dudley was brought in to "assist," and should inevitably take over.

Old
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Whoa...Kevin Allen:

Quote:
Current Thrashers' plans are to play Kovalchuk at Washington Friday if no traded has been worked out. That surprises me.

Old
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Whoa...Kevin Allen:
Awesome. Kovy blows out his knee Friday and can't be traded for anything. That is Atlanta Thrasher luck.

Old
02-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Aaronxxx

or, kovy plays the best game of his life.

Old
02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Jerdn

im going to the game on saturday. hopefully we will win. im excited but not optimistic. trying to be though

Old
02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
The Sneak

I'll be there on Saturday. last home game until March. We're playing a division rival that happens to be in our personal space for a playoff spot. I also dig Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little and the rest of the Atlanta Thrashers

Old
02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Tonka
Diggles

I hope you guys get a good deal...the way Kovalchuk is treating this situation is terrible...say you don't want to be in Atlanta instead of beating around the bush.

But if you guys do trade with Boston...I really hope you hurt their future.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

why would anyone be excited lol... i love how people think trading a star = winning...

i just can't wait to rant at how bad this team is when Kovy is gone and they are still getting worked defensively.

Fire Anderson bring in defense coach is the 1st and only way to start of the re-building process. If that doesn't happen nothing else matters as this team will be moved out of Atlanta soon.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

"Our goal from the start of this negotiating process was to sign Ilya Kovalchuk to a long-term contract. During the process, Kovy affirmed his desire to be a Thrasher for life. We've spent several months exploring scenarios with Kovy and his agent to reach a mutually beneficial agreement, and offered many lucrative packages in an attempt to meet his financial objectives. Unfortunately, we've reached an impasse and at this point he has declined all of our proposals and we can't reasonably go any higher.

Ultimately, we offered Kovy more than $101 million over 12 years, which would have been the highest contract signed by an impending unrestricted free agent in the history of the league. If accepted, this contract would have been the second highest offer ever to any NHL player. We also met his desire to be the highest paid player based on average annual salary with a separate offer of 7 years at $10M per year ($70M). This offer is $0.5M higher per year than any other player.

If we went beyond these offers, we would not be able to retain the young players on our roster when it came time to sign them, or invest in other top tier players needed to assemble a truly competitive team. Therefore, we are aggressively exploring all of our options as we move forward."

good riddance. obviously he has no desire to be here and just wants to place all the blame on DW and the owners.

Old
02-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Lux Aurumque*

I can't wait either.

I've loved watching Kovalchuk over these past few years, but this whole contract situation has pushed me to the point that I actually want to see him gone. I cannot believe that Kovalchuk actually believes that he deserves to make more money than Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin. Simply put, he is not nearly as good as those three players are, and not deserving of a salary higher than they make.

I'm really hoping that we can ship him to Chicago for Versteeg, Barker and Sharp. That would improve this roster immensely.

Old
02-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
I can't wait either.

I've loved watching Kovalchuk over these past few years, but this whole contract situation has pushed me to the point that I actually want to see him gone. I cannot believe that Kovalchuk actually believes that he deserves to make more money than Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin. Simply put, he is not nearly as good as those three players are, and not deserving of a salary higher than they make.

I'm really hoping that we can ship him to Chicago for Versteeg, Barker and Sharp. That would improve this roster immensely.

Sharp and Versteeg or Barker would be fantastic... even if we have to add a prospect or something. that is the deal i would be going after

Old
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
GetPucksDeep

I have tickets for Saturday.

I'm not going.

I think its interesting that he's still practicing with the team.

I think its interesting that he's going to play on Friday.

The day the team announced Lehtonen's FIRST back surgery, every marketing image/wallpaper with Lehtonen's face on it disappeared from the team website.

Kovy's been told to expect a trade, but he's still the face of the franchise on the website.

Something doesn't add up.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
I have tickets for Saturday.

I'm not going.

I think its interesting that he's still practicing with the team.

I think its interesting that he's going to play on Friday.
Why wouldn't he practice or play? What's he supposed to do, go home, kick 'em up and watch Nicktoons?

Old
02-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
i just can't wait to rant at how bad this team is when Kovy is gone and they are still getting worked defensively.
I can't wait for you to start ranting, either. I'm sure it'll be full of incisive commentary and keen insight.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
The Sneak

Don't burn your bridges or make your words too big to swallow for when he comes back in the summer

Old
02-04-2010, 04:34 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
I can't wait for you to start ranting, either. I'm sure it'll be full of incisive commentary and keen insight.
Deliver through a realist's filter, no less.

Closed Thread