HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

which player do you want in montreal in the 2004 draft ???

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 10:10 PM
CH Wizard

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
which young player do you want in montreal in the 2004 draft ???

Me my choices are
1)Cam Barker i saw him play and he is the kind of defenceman that Habs needed but i think he will be pick like 5nd overall
2) Andrew Ladd yes good choice
3) Valabik 6 foot 6 220 lbs (osti qui yer GEANT) and in montreal we dont have physical player with a good height and weight that is a good one man !!

guys what are your choices ?

Last edited by CH Wizard: 04-22-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Old
04-22-2004, 10:23 PM
not quite yoda

Any of those guys would involve moving up big time in the draft... which I am totally in favour of doing. I think that CBJ's pick (4th overall) may be acquirable. Same for Florida's (7th overall).

I would love Schremp as he may slip despite having all-star skills.

Other guys I am high on:

-Ladd
-Wolski
-Tukonen

Old
04-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Any of those guys would involve moving up big time in the draft... which I am totally in favour of doing. I think that CBJ's pick (4th overall) may be acquirable. Same for Florida's (7th overall).

I would love Schremp as he may slip despite having all-star skills.

Other guys I am high on:

-Ladd
-Wolski
-Tukonen

Tukonen is an awsome winger with size, and Shremp is an excellent C with size. Both, are guys will never get near, unless we trade like you say!

I doubt will be trading though.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Shremp good old shremp. I watched the OHL all star game team Cherry vs. team Orr a while back and he was quite something especially with that nice move he did where he dragged the puck on his blade and whipped it at the net, almost scored!! As for the other guys you guys mentioned, I don't have a clue about them.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

It's so hard to say cause there are several good choices at 18th.

Valabik I like a lot (but O'Byrne plays a similar game, both RD's as well)

Picard I like as well but only if a few others I like are gone.

Fransson has to be considered, and if you consider him, Hedman is right there as well, as from what I've gathered they are very close in terms of skill. (I haven't seen these guys)

Blake Wheeler- never saw him but might be worth a shot as he's very big and still young. I can't wait to see what this kid does next year.

O'Neil I think could be around when we pick, I can't say I was overly impressed with him but he looked decent in his own end and skates well for a big guy.

Berti may be a good idea to add some size but I'd like to see more of him.

Bolland I like the way he plays the game and although on the small side he's got skills.

Too bad we don't have a 2nd rounder. I really think we could use one cause there's a lot of guys I am very interested in but not at 18th.

Kyle Klubertanz- I only saw him once in the USHL and I really liked what I saw. Good skater, good shot although kind of small for a defensemen. Going the NCAA route next year.

David Booth- I also like this kid a lot. I've seen him several times, and was impressed every time. This is a kid the Habs should draft, imo. He's big and has a powerful stride, drives to the net, has a good shot and is good in his own end. The knock on him is his fist step and lack of footspeed but I thought he looked fine.

Fredrick Naslund- Not in the 2nd round, and i've never seen him, but from the people I've spoken too and what I've read he sounds like he would be worth a gamble. Big boy, LW playing in Sweden (tier-2 I think)

Brain Ihnacak- 4th rounder maybe? Was 2nd in scoring at Brown as a freshman plus he was a teamate of Danis which doesn't hurt either. I'd like to see us add some NCAAers, we will have only 1 next year as of now. (Komisarek, Higgins, Hainsey, seems like we should go to the well a little more often)

Old
04-22-2004, 11:00 PM
not quite yoda

Please note:

During the past 3 drafts, there are 2 tendancies of Montreal management in the 1st round that I have picked up on.
-Habs pick skill forwards that have done particularly well in tournaments.
(Higgins had a strong WJC with 6 pts; Kastsitsyn had a strong WJC and U18).

-Habs are open to moving up to get the man they want.
2001: blockbuster offer was made to land Kovalchuck (but failed).
2002: As soon as Semin was picked 13th, Habs traded with Edmonton to move up a spot to insure we got Higgins at 14 ("we had Higgins much higher than the next guy on our list").
2003: Kastsitsyn (as predicted) slipped to us at 10th. Savard almost pulled a deal with L.A.: would have been Brisebois for the 27th pick.(The deal aborted when Brisebois didn't wantto drop his no-trade clause; L.A. drafted Tambellini).

All three drafts were run by Andre Savard and seeing as Gainey seems to concentrate on the big team, he may let Timmins and Savard (more experienced as scouts) run the show again. When he was still the GM, Savard commented on Lecavalier trade rumours: "too expensive to trade for one, we are going to have to draft our superstar". Gainey is known to like drafting players "with a certain charachter".

Here's to hoping we trade the 18th in a package to move back into the top end again.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:25 PM
katodelder

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Please note:

2003: Kastsitsyn (as predicted) slipped to us at 10th. Savard almost pulled a deal with L.A.: would have been Brisebois for the 27th pick.(The deal aborted when Brisebois didn't wantto drop his no-trade clause; L.A. drafted Tambellini).

Where did you hear this?

Here's to hoping we trade the 18th in a package to move back into the top end again.

Who do you think we should move up for, and what should we give up?

Old
04-22-2004, 11:38 PM
not quite yoda

Well right when it was L.A.'s turn to draft, Savard was on the the phone. A woman at the draft table had a Canadiens jersey in her lap as if they were all ready to go up to make a selection. Saw it all on t.v. RDS was speculating like crazy that a deal was about to be made.

No trade hapenned.

After the Draft, Savard was quoted as saying "no-trade clauses make it difficult to complete trades".

This followed the whole "Brisebois-trip-to-Paris" affair. There aren't that many Habs players with no trade clauses. I think Brisebois is the only one to have one although Theodore and Koivu may have one as well. Not positive.

Oh and the whole "Brisebois to L.A. thing was mentioned this season on one of RDS's hockey shows. I think it was LA ligue en question.

As of what deal I think could be made... I know CBJ is looking for a good defenceman. I figure if Chicago pick Barker at 3, CBJ might be open to a trade. The 18th overall pick, Hainsey, Hossa and Plekanec are all elements I would consider including in the deal. Not all of the above, but some of it.

Last edited by not quite yoda: 04-22-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old
04-23-2004, 06:09 AM
Mike8

I really like Bickell and Berti. Bickell maybe moreso than Berti. Both bring a physical element, willingness to go to the net, great size and already filled out a good amount and sound defensive play (especially Berti, who played well on the PK this past season).

Bickell brings more of a character element and higher intensity level to the rink. He's a good skater and will initiate on the forecheck as well as look for big hits in the neutral zone. He's been terribly inconsistent in terms of production though I do feel he has the hands to succeed on a scoring line.

At the very least both are safe picks; players that should they reach their full potential they could play on a scoring line. If they don't, they should still be NHL quality players.

One reason to be careful when drafting for size--as Montreal has learned in the past--is to avoid drafting big hulking forwards that have no hockey sense nor skating ability. That isn't the case with these two. Both are well above average skaters that are solid without the puck (Berti is particularly sound positionally, whereas Bickell can stand to work on this aspect of his game). Neither are offensive catalysts, but Montreal has more than enough catalysts on the current team and upcoming. Both are complementary players for those offensive catalysts such as Kastytsin, Higgins, Koivu, Plekanec, Ribeiro, Perezhogin, etcetera.

Now in terms of where the Habs draft, these two may be reaches. They don't have the high-end potential that several other sexier draft picks have. They have been spotty in terms of offensive production. I would still like to see Montreal pick up one of these two as they would complement the current players in the system, address needs and would be safe players to draft.

Old
04-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Guy LaFleur

I'd love Shremp.

Or Ovechkin, if Washington feels generous. :p

Old
04-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

So far my wish list reads as follow (top 18th for the Habs, not a mock draft):

1- Alex Ovechkin (RW)
2- Evgeni Malkin (C)
3- Rostislav Olesz (C/LW)
4- Wojtek Wolski (LW)
5- Lauri Tukonen (C)
6- Andrew Ladd (LW)
7- Drew Stafford (RW)
8- Cam Barker (LD)
9- Alex Picard (LW)
10- Kyle Chipchura (C)
11- AJ Thelen (LD)
12- Mike Green (RD)
13- Boris Valabik (LD)
14- Adam Pineault (C/RW)
15- David Booth (LW)
16- Lukas Kaspar (LW)
17- Brian Bickell (LW)
18- Adam Berti (LW)

Obviously the first 4 guys we shall forget about and 5 to 10 I think we'd need to move up if Gainey and Savard/Timmins were interested, but #11 to #18 are IMO decent picks that could all still be there at #18. In terms of the long awaited power-forward, I think Olesz, Ladd and Stafford are the best choices.

Old
04-23-2004, 12:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I really like Bickell and Berti. Bickell maybe moreso than Berti. Both bring a physical element, willingness to go to the net, great size and already filled out a good amount and sound defensive play (especially Berti, who played well on the PK this past season).

Bickell brings more of a character element and higher intensity level to the rink. He's a good skater and will initiate on the forecheck as well as look for big hits in the neutral zone. He's been terribly inconsistent in terms of production though I do feel he has the hands to succeed on a scoring line.

At the very least both are safe picks; players that should they reach their full potential they could play on a scoring line. If they don't, they should still be NHL quality players.

One reason to be careful when drafting for size--as Montreal has learned in the past--is to avoid drafting big hulking forwards that have no hockey sense nor skating ability. That isn't the case with these two. Both are well above average skaters that are solid without the puck (Berti is particularly sound positionally, whereas Bickell can stand to work on this aspect of his game). Neither are offensive catalysts, but Montreal has more than enough catalysts on the current team and upcoming. Both are complementary players for those offensive catalysts such as Kastytsin, Higgins, Koivu, Plekanec, Ribeiro, Perezhogin, etcetera.

Now in terms of where the Habs draft, these two may be reaches. They don't have the high-end potential that several other sexier draft picks have. They have been spotty in terms of offensive production. I would still like to see Montreal pick up one of these two as they would complement the current players in the system, address needs and would be safe players to draft.

I can't say I'm a big Bickell fan based on the few times I've seen him. Did he have some injury troubles this year? Also since you like Bickell, what's your thoughts on Locke's sometimes winger Mancari? I hear next to nothing about this kid, yet he's got great size and put up some very serious numbers (although that has a lot to do with Locke) but from what I've seen of the kid (I've only seen him play wing, I haven't seen any of the games where he's played defense) I wouldn't mind using a mid round pick on the kid, say 5th round if he's still there that is.

What's interesting is the 3rd/4th round, where we are looking at something around,

78th, 85th, 92nd. Now that will change cause of comp picks, but I don't think there will be as many comp picks as last year. Either way we should have some good picks there. This is where I'd like to grab a guy like Naslund, or Casey Borer or Jonathan Siglet etc... Or trade some of the picks to move up into the 2nd round.

Old
04-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I can't say I'm a big Bickell fan based on the few times I've seen him. Did he have some injury troubles this year? Also since you like Bickell, what's your thoughts on Locke's sometimes winger Mancari? I hear next to nothing about this kid, yet he's got great size and put up some very serious numbers (although that has a lot to do with Locke) but from what I've seen of the kid (I've only seen him play wing, I haven't seen any of the games where he's played defense) I wouldn't mind using a mid round pick on the kid, say 5th round if he's still there that is.

What's interesting is the 3rd/4th round, where we are looking at something around,

78th, 85th, 92nd. Now that will change cause of comp picks, but I don't think there will be as many comp picks as last year. Either way we should have some good picks there. This is where I'd like to grab a guy like Naslund, or Casey Borer or Jonathan Siglet etc... Or trade some of the picks to move up into the 2nd round.
I like Mancari. He's got good size, can lay out big hits and he's improved his skating. However, I'm fairly certain he was eligible to be drafted in '04, hence why there may be less to say about him since we was either overlooked entirely or didn't opt into the draft. I haven't been overly impressed with his offensive abilities. I would be surprised if he could produce well in the AHL, much less the NHL.

I've seen him play D (in fact I've seen him play wing and D in the same game a few times) and he had some trouble with quicker forwards. He also had trouble boxing players out of the slot area, which isn't a good thing to see from a player whose main attribute is size.

Could be a good late rounder, but I wouldn't expect anything more.

Old
04-23-2004, 02:31 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
I'm not really in a position to give exact names out, in regards to whom i'd like to see the habs draft... I do though feel that we should try and use our 18th pick to get us a big 2-way forward... Its a need this team has and would save us trying to go out there and getting a Cheecoo or Cole... Yes we're running short on defenseman but the thing is they take soooo long to develop and get to grips with the rigours of the nhl - generally that it could be five or six yearr before we even see them sitting in the press box. forwards however tend to be able to adapt alot quicker as long as there strong enough and have the correct mentality, work rate and discipline. Don't get me wrong though i'd love a good d-man (right handed) though i'd much rather see us get a big 6'02" 225-235lbs forward. End of the day though i think because of our lack of a 2 round pick we should just draft the best possible player.. and with our scouting setup i don't think that should be too hard.... what do you guys think... even if you could recommend to me some nice big forwards aswell how i could check up on, i'd also appreciate that...

GO GO!!!!

Old
04-23-2004, 02:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I like Mancari. He's got good size, can lay out big hits and he's improved his skating. However, I'm fairly certain he was eligible to be drafted in '04, hence why there may be less to say about him since we was either overlooked entirely or didn't opt into the draft. I haven't been overly impressed with his offensive abilities. I would be surprised if he could produce well in the AHL, much less the NHL.

I've seen him play D (in fact I've seen him play wing and D in the same game a few times) and he had some trouble with quicker forwards. He also had trouble boxing players out of the slot area, which isn't a good thing to see from a player whose main attribute is size.

Could be a good late rounder, but I wouldn't expect anything more.

Mancari looks like he'll need a few years to work on his skating and speed, but he's got a decent shot. He was available for last years draft, but I'd think some team would take a shot on him. Then against I thought Patrick Thoreson was going to be drafted at some point on day one, and he never got drafted.

Old
04-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Hab
I'm not really in a position to give exact names out, in regards to whom i'd like to see the habs draft... I do though feel that we should try and use our 18th pick to get us a big 2-way forward... Its a need this team has and would save us trying to go out there and getting a Cheecoo or Cole... Yes we're running short on defenseman but the thing is they take soooo long to develop and get to grips with the rigours of the nhl - generally that it could be five or six yearr before we even see them sitting in the press box. forwards however tend to be able to adapt alot quicker as long as there strong enough and have the correct mentality, work rate and discipline. Don't get me wrong though i'd love a good d-man (right handed) though i'd much rather see us get a big 6'02" 225-235lbs forward. End of the day though i think because of our lack of a 2 round pick we should just draft the best possible player.. and with our scouting setup i don't think that should be too hard.... what do you guys think... even if you could recommend to me some nice big forwards aswell how i could check up on, i'd also appreciate that...

GO GO!!!!
Kyle Chipchura might fall to #18 and he's the kind of big two-way forward that I'd like to see in Montreal. Stafford isn't bad either (He would be higher on my list). Both have very low chances to be available at #18 though.

Old
04-23-2004, 04:36 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
Kyle Chipchura might fall to #18 and he's the kind of big two-way forward that I'd like to see in Montreal. Stafford isn't bad either (He would be higher on my list). Both have very low chances to be available at #18 though.
Thanks Duff88 i'll see what i can find on them... Chipchura sounds rather interesting if its only heres name though.....

Also.... your right, or is it Homer... can't remember though if that was your original avator.. sorry if it was... but it still makes me laugh.....

GO GO!!!!

Old
04-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team.php?team=17

I took a look at what Dan put together, and it really looks like what we need is a good RW as our depth chart is really short on that side. Plus, I'm fed up at the way we tend to convert every center we draft to wingers.

Old
04-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

With the addition of Danis. We now have the depth to trade Garon and our #1 pick to move up in the draft for a chance at Barker. I like the idea of Montreal getting a franchise type defenseman

Old
04-23-2004, 05:49 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
With the addition of Danis. We now have the depth to trade Garon and our #1 pick to move up in the draft for a chance at Barker. I like the idea of Montreal getting a franchise type defenseman
Yeah but who would you let be the back up....????? Yann Danis isn't ready yet.. or you hoping that we have a small 40 game season next year and theo can play them all?????

Old
04-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
The ONE GUY I WANT THE MOST IS : ALEXANDER RADULOV , Pure skill BABY, something that we never have enough.

Old
04-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
The ONE GUY I WANT THE MOST IS : ALEXANDER RADULOV, pure skill BABY, something that we never have enough.
Radulov have attitude problems... He never had a good relation with any of his coaches and he takes alot of bad penalties on the ice. But I agree, he's got great skills!

As for Right Wingers, three player come to my head :

Enver Lisin - Tremendous skater with explosive speed, great hands and a good shot, he is a pure skill forward.

Alexander Radulov - I know, I just said that he has attitude problems and I'm not that high on him, but he's extremely skilled.

Petteri Nokelainen - He's a two-way forward who can be a great role player. Good offensive skills, he's an average skater but he's just a great defensive specialist.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:07 PM
tiredman

-picard
-ladd
-lepisto
-montoya
-chipchura(sp?)

Closed Thread