HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk to Sharks? (MOD EDIT: to NJ w/Salmela for Oduya, Cormier, Bergfors, 1st)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

vCash: 500
Eh, its possible.

Kovalchuk's remaining salary is $2,218,047

If we send Clowe, Huskins, and Seto (or Mitchell) over to them you'll free up ~$2,281,355

I suppose you can unload Shelly's contract to them, too. Which would free up ~$250 of salary.

I'm not sure how Seto's bonus is calculated into the cap. Is there any kind of way to get Atlanta to take more of his cap hit?

I suppose this could make the Wallin trade make more sense. Bringing Wallin in, and then recalling and rotating the Wor door to bring in low salary players similar to McCarthy into the open spot(s) on the roster could probably squeak us by until playoff time.

That would be a pretty star studded lineup. Kovalchuk would do absolute wonders on PP improvement.

Thornton, Patty, Heatley, Boyle, and Kovalchuk? Yikes! If thats not the best PP unit in the NHL, I don't know what is.

One can only dream though. It would be a genius move by Doug if Wallin truly is as good as advertised.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
especially since the Sharks dont have the cap space to do it. IF the heater deal didnt happen I could see it but its a tough one to believe unless he has a man crush on nabby.
Kovy's pricetag is $6.4M if I recall.

Let's say that we also have 500K in cap space saved up.

Therefore, we need to ship out $6M to make the salaries a wash. Sadly, this doesn't take into account the bodies that we'd have to replace if we traded more than 1 roster player. So, in reality, we need to trade something like Clowe (3.5), Murray (2.5) and Huskins (1.7) to leave enough room to finish the season off with the likes of Joslin and whoever at near league minimum patrolling the blue line.

Now, do we really think Kovy's offence will offset the obvious more goals we'll be letting in? I highly doubt it with a d-corps of:

Demers-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Leach-Joslin

Who again is going to eat minutes?

Hell, I can't remember a time when any team won the cup with as "weak" a defence as we even have now, let alone taking Murray and Huskins out of the equation.

Lastly, if we're honestly offering something as I've proposed, Atlanta would probably have better offers from other teams, anyways.

There, I hope I'm not totally out to lunch with my math. Just the first things that came to my mind in imagining the holes we'd have to face next year if we sold the farm.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Bad news bears too much money.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
We wouldn't have to clear out 6 mil but $2,218,047 as the guy on the top of the page said right?

Old
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
skilletboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RammsteinGT View Post
Kovy's pricetag is $6.4M if I recall.

Let's say that we also have 500K in cap space saved up.

Therefore, we need to ship out $6M to make the salaries a wash. Sadly, this doesn't take into account the bodies that we'd have to replace if we traded more than 1 roster player. So, in reality, we need to trade something like Clowe (3.5), Murray (2.5) and Huskins (1.7) to leave enough room to finish the season off with the likes of Joslin and whoever at near league minimum patrolling the blue line.

Now, do we really think Kovy's offence will offset the obvious more goals we'll be letting in? I highly doubt it with a d-corps of:

Demers-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Leach-Joslin

Who again is going to eat minutes?

Hell, I can't remember a time when any team won the cup with as "weak" a defence as we even have now, let alone taking Murray and Huskins out of the equation.

Lastly, if we're honestly offering something as I've proposed, Atlanta would probably have better offers from other teams, anyways.

There, I hope I'm not totally out to lunch with my math. Just the first things that came to my mind in imagining the holes we'd have to face next year if we sold the farm.
agreed mostly...

I don't want Kovy... With the top line in hockey we frankly dont need him...

But i understand the logic here...

The "wisdom" of the day here, if you call it that, is that you only go after Kovy if you can win the cup this year becuase you aint resigning this guy. And you have to have the picks and prospect to get him.

The Sharks are in the right position for this move. But I don't see DW getting him at the price we would have to pay...

It would be basically Clowe, Couture, and a 1st.... for three months of Kovy....

its trading the future away...

and after all that... Id do it if I knew it would get us over the hump to win the cup... but of course no one can tell.
Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OvWOCga3DM

Old
02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
We wouldn't have to clear out 6 mil but $2,218,047 as the guy on the top of the page said right?
Actual (cap) salary versus pro-rated. Same deal, just a different perspective on the numbers.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Eh, its possible.

Kovalchuk's remaining salary is $2,218,047

If we send Clowe, Huskins, and Seto (or Mitchell) over to them you'll free up ~$2,281,355

I suppose you can unload Shelly's contract to them, too. Which would free up ~$250 of salary.

I'm not sure how Seto's bonus is calculated into the cap. Is there any kind of way to get Atlanta to take more of his cap hit?

I suppose this could make the Wallin trade make more sense. Bringing Wallin in, and then recalling and rotating the Wor door to bring in low salary players similar to McCarthy into the open spot(s) on the roster could probably squeak us by until playoff time.

That would be a pretty star studded lineup. Kovalchuk would do absolute wonders on PP improvement.

Thornton, Patty, Heatley, Boyle, and Kovalchuk? Yikes! If thats not the best PP unit in the NHL, I don't know what is.

One can only dream though. It would be a genius move by Doug if Wallin truly is as good as advertised.
Do you mean to tell me that Clowe, Huskins, and Mitchell for Kovy works cap wise for both clubs?

If we didn't have to give up Seto I am not entirely against it.

Clowe, Huskins, Mitchell, prospect, and a 3rd rd or lower pick for Kovy rental. Interesting. We keep hearing about how the team needs secondary scoring, but this:

M-T-H
Kovy-Pavelski-Seto

gives us the best top 6 in the NHL, but we still won't get any scoring on 3rd and 4th lines (although Malhotra moves down which does help the bottom 6).

I think the speculation on the part of Sporting News has some logic (DW does go after stars in trades, he has a track record of this), but I dunno. I would love for a high profile deadline deal to work out in the NHL, but have any really since Blake was moved to the Avs for their cup run?

Old
02-04-2010, 02:40 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post

Well, sort of, but it's 2.218 mil from what's remaining on the players hits, so it would be equivalent to the 6 of Kovy's cap hit. Which is why the guys at the top said Clowe, Huskins, and seto. I think. I don't really know actually...

Old
02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Do you mean to tell me that Clowe, Huskins, and Mitchell for Kovy works cap wise for both clubs?

If we didn't have to give up Seto I am not entirely against it.

Clowe, Huskins, Mitchell, prospect, and a 3rd rd or lower pick for Kovy rental. Interesting.

I think the speculation on the part of Sporting News has some logic (DW does go after stars in trades, he has a track record of this), but I dunno. I would love for a high profile deadline deal to work out in the NHL, but have any since Blake was moved to the Avs for their cup run?
Depends on your definition of working out and high profile. Hossa got the Pens to the finals and Recchi and Weight helped the Canes win.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Depends on your definition of working out and high profile. Hossa got the Pens to the finals and Recchi and Weight helped the Canes win.
My definition is winning the cup, so I'd say Hossa didn't work out for the Pens.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

This is great - every high end player is now rumored to goto the Sharks.

I can't see this happening unless one of our high end players is leaving to free up teh cap space. So, I get it -- we don't address the teams needs on D, we jusr get more goal scoring and try and win games 6-5. Fun hockey is back baby!!

Old
02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
skilletboy*

wondering if this rumor is being fueled by DW making calls about Kubina?? DW has inquired about himin the past. It's been rumored he is still interested now. I could see someone leaking that Waddell and DW were talking but just not about Kovy....???

Old
02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
The Sharks potential first powerplay unit:

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Kovalchuk-Boyle

Old
02-04-2010, 02:45 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
That's why it kind of makes sense. The Sharks want the Cup and that's that.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

Quote:
I think the speculation on the part of Sporting News has some logic (DW does go after stars in trades, he has a track record of this), but I dunno. I would love for a high profile deadline deal to work out in the NHL, but have any really since Blake was moved to the Avs for their cup run?
Yeah, DW will probably try. See if Atlanta bites, then make a decision. If anything, a bid will drive the price up for another Western contender to part with.

Also, DW wanted Boyle and settled for Campbell. He doesn't always get what he wants, but he's pretty damn good (and persistent!) overall.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Don't forget the 90's, when it was completely out of the realm of any high end player to even think about coming here. Don't forget when Gretzky turned down a better money offer from the Sharks to go to the Rangers thinking they had a better shot of doing better in the playoffs, and his last 2 years the Rangers missed the playoffs while the Sharks made it.

It is neat that things have changed so much that not only are the Sharks an elite team in terms of standings, but they are elite in terms of a destination for high end players (Either via trade or free agency). I love it.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

This will not happen. He's going to Boston I think.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:47 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletboy View Post
wondering if this rumor is being fueled by DW making calls about Kubina?? DW has inquired about himin the past. It's been rumored he is still interested now. I could see someone leaking that Waddell and DW were talking but just not about Kovy....???
But that's how DW works. Samsonov for Stuart becomes Sturm, Stuart and Primeau for Thornton.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:48 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post

I can't see this happening unless one of our high end players is leaving to free up teh cap space. So, I get it -- we don't address the teams needs on D, we jusr get more goal scoring and try and win games 6-5. Fun hockey is back baby!!
Well....it works for the Caps, right?

Old
02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
The Sharks potential first powerplay unit:

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley

Kovalchuk-Boyle

On paper, we would have the best top 6 arguably in the history of the NHL.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
Don't forget the 90's, when it was completely out of the realm of any high end player to even think about coming here. Don't forget when Gretzky turned down a better money offer from the Sharks to go to the Rangers thinking they had a better shot of doing better in the playoffs, and his last 2 years the Rangers missed the playoffs while the Sharks made it.

It is neat that things have changed so much that not only are the Sharks an elite team in terms of standings, but they are elite in terms of a destination for high end players (Either via trade or free agency). I love it.
It's great the high end players want to come to San Jose and end up liking it there. I think it says alot about the organization top to bottom and DW as being class acts taht people want to play for. Great fans...

Old
02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
On paper, we would have the best top 6 arguably in the history of the NHL.
Arguably?

I'll take "without question" for $11ty, Alex. That PP is terrifying.

But yeah, if we ended up with him, we'd definitely be the Caps of the West. If we met in the finals, each game would be 9-8 or something absurd like that. Like said before..."fun hockey"!

Old
02-04-2010, 02:57 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Well....it works for the Caps, right?
It does - perhaps DW has the vision to win the cup in the future. Lets load up on all the offensive talent we can find. We should also try for another offensive D like Corvo. Man wouldn't that ba a great team to watch and hell to play against - you'd know we'd score 5-6 a night..

Old
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Other points to consider if you added Kovy:

1.) Adding Kovy to this team makes this Sharks squad arguably the most talented major pro sports team in the history of the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose Bay Area. TV ratings are already good but it could get ridiculously high if the Sharks marketed it well. The Bay Area like many markets loves good teams, and to be given a great team is something Bay Area sports fans won't forget (again, marketing has to be good. Sharks have to tap media outlets and make sure everyone in the Bay Area knows how many Top 10 in the NHL players they have on their team).

2.) If you added Kovy, and could keep him through next season (And Marleau), my vision of Sharks at Caps 2011 Winter Classic is a no-brainer for Bettman because of the sheer amount of NHL superstars in one game and plenty of scoring, which the causal fan loves.

Old
02-04-2010, 03:08 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Other points to consider if you added Kovy:

1.) Adding Kovy to this team makes this Sharks squad arguably the most talented major pro sports team in the history of the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose Bay Area. TV ratings are already good but it could get ridiculously high if the Sharks marketed it well. The Bay Area like many markets loves good teams, and to be given a great team is something Bay Area sports fans won't forget (again, marketing has to be good. Sharks have to tap media outlets and make sure everyone in the Bay Area knows how many Top 10 in the NHL players they have on their team).

2.) If you added Kovy, and could keep him through next season (And Marleau), my vision of Sharks at Caps 2011 Winter Classic is a no-brainer for Bettman because of the sheer amount of NHL superstars in one game and plenty of scoring, which the causal fan loves.
There is no way in heaven or high hell that the Sharks would sign kovy even if he ended up in san jose. Not after what he declined in Atlanta.

Closed Thread