HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk Traded to the New Jersey Devils for Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier and a 1st

Old
02-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Colorado has been the team I have long been concerned will get him at UFA mark. The teams that have carried superstars in the recent past with success seem to attract them the most in the UFA market.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Kovy had an interesting night against NY today. Got into a scrum / fight with Avery while coming to Brodeur's defense (Avery appeared to be yapping at Martin). It's on the main board if you want to check it out.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:55 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

my guess is kovy must have wanted out of ATL in a pretty bad way, given the numbers he turned down....his agent must have informed him of the real risk of testing a market in as bad a shape as it is. there may be 5-7 mil contracts thrown around, but offers like the ones passed up may not come around again

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Kovy had an interesting night against NY today. Got into a scrum / fight with Avery while coming to Brodeur's defense (Avery appeared to be yapping at Martin). It's on the main board if you want to check it out.
Unfortunately Avery did his job and sacrificed himself for Kovalchuk late in the game. While the Devils lost the game, Kovalchuk was at least showing he was ready to fight (literally/figuratively) for his new club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
my guess is kovy must have wanted out of ATL in a pretty bad way, given the numbers he turned down....his agent must have informed him of the real risk of testing a market in as bad a shape as it is. there may be 5-7 mil contracts thrown around, but offers like the ones passed up may not come around again
Probably not too much different than Gaborik and Minnesota last year. Gaborik seemingly wasn't remotely interested in staying and took less money to sign with the Rangers. He still managed to get 5 years, 37.5 mil--the Wild had offered 40 over 5--which is still a pretty good chunk of change.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:54 PM
absolutic

Sorry guys I dont have to read the entire thread, but I saw Roenick saying that kings were offering a better trade. What were we offering, according to Roenick???

absolutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutic View Post
Sorry guys I dont have to read the entire thread, but I saw Roenick saying that kings were offering a better trade. What were we offering, according to Roenick???
First, Roenick looked to me like he had been drinking. Second, I think it fits his personality to say something like that, since he's working with the Kings, whether he really believed it or not. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't even know what the offer was.

What I've read is there was an offer focused on prospects and picks. Waddell responded by asking for Johnson and Brown. Waddell needed roster players and DL didn't have any good ones to spare, so the discussions ended there. Kings were not really one of the bidders at the end.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 383
Quote:
He said it more than once and I agree with what HeadInjury said above.

My thoughts: if it were a better offer, the ATL would have taken it. Not only would Waddell have a better chance of saving his job, IK would have gone to the other conference and it would be easier for Atlanta fans to swallow.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It was likely a better offer value wise but the Atlanta organization wasn't looking particularly for value. They were looking for at least one player they can market as a pressure player now, and at least two players that could immediately join the roster and help them toward the playoffs. They need to win and attract people to the team now. Our offers consisted of primarily one young potential roster player and then all prospects and future assets. With the Devils they got some future assets, but they also 2 solid roster players... We had overall value, but the Devils had immediate viability.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
We should be asking YOU the questions.

Like, what in the world were you doing watching Roenick's video blog in the first place???

I'm leaving a very small benefit of the doubt that you saw Roenick on NHL-on-the-Fly or some other source.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:55 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

Like, what in the world were you doing watching Roenick's video blog in the first place???

I'm leaving a very small benefit of the doubt that you saw Roenick on NHL-on-the-Fly or some other source.
It was on the game broadcast. Sadly, most of us had to watch it.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
It was on the game broadcast. Sadly, most of us had to watch it.
Ok then. Sin absolved for now.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

If not for the Leafs falling apart in Kovy's first game, the Devils would be 0-3 with Kovalchuk. He didn't show up tonight until there was about 90 seconds left.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:45 PM
absolutic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

Yep, it was during the game so I did not have a choice not to watch"

absolutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If not for the Leafs falling apart in Kovy's first game, the Devils would be 0-3 with Kovalchuk. He didn't show up tonight until there was about 90 seconds left.
Devils are still trying to figure out how to play with him. Problem is that Kovalchuk displaced Elias to RW which so far doesn't look like a natural fit for Patrik. On the PP, almost seems like they're force feeding it to Kovalchuk and waiting for him to do something. Definitely some chemistry issues to be worked out.

Bigger problem for the Devils is defense. Any team giving Mike Mottau 20+ minutes a night is gonna be in trouble.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Devils are still trying to figure out how to play with him. Problem is that Kovalchuk displaced Elias to RW which so far doesn't look like a natural fit for Patrik. On the PP, almost seems like they're force feeding it to Kovalchuk and waiting for him to do something. Definitely some chemistry issues to be worked out.

Bigger problem for the Devils is defense. Any team giving Mike Mottau 20+ minutes a night is gonna be in trouble.
Paul Martin will eventually replace, and we all know that wasn't Lou's only trade.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:23 PM
outofrange

The lack of a complete game by IK is so evident on a team like NJ. He looks so lost in his own zone. He went by on talent for all of those years and it looks to have seriously hindered his development into a more defensively sound player. I could imagine Murray getting chest pains from the way he plays.

Will the Kings be willing to sign him to a big contract and then tough it out a few years until his game is suitable for the Western conference? I don't know. At least with Kopi last season he was still very young and it was easier to break him of the bad habits that he was taught during the Crawford era.

I think that Dean is probably still crossing his fingers that Marleau is available in the off-season or he ends up trading for a guy like Sharp or something.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote