HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[ATL/NJ] Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier & a 1st for Kovalchuk, Salmela [Part 2]

Old
02-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Flapjack*

vCash: 500
LOL, I love this.

Thrasher fans were picking top prospects from teams interested, and THIS is all they were stuck with for Kovy. Proving yet again in the span of a week how many here over rate their teams players to the point of hilarity.

The Thrashers got fleeced, just like the Flames. The actual price of players, in the real world, pales in comparison. This trade puts the Devils as the front runners for the Cup, getting a top six player in the league for scraps only helps an already great team.

Its obvious the Thrashers have no clue how to run a franchise, this is embarrasing.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:53 AM
NJDFan4Life

I Love This Move By Def a Cup Threat Team Now but do you think kovalchuk will re-sign here if so for how much and how long cause maybe he turned down 12 year 101 mill in atlanta cuz he sick of losing and wants to win a cup Give me your thoughts thanks

NJDFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieharddevilsfan30 View Post
I Love This Move By Def a Cup Threat Team Now but do you think kovalchuk will re-sign here if so for how much and how long cause maybe he turned down 12 year 101 mill in atlanta cuz he sick of losing and wants to win a cup Give me your thoughts thanks
I dont believe any numbers that were thrown around before hand, and believe Kovy re-signing with the Devils is realistic.

I would have to think this has alot to do with the Thrashers being a franchise that cant ever put it together, and Kovy, now on a respectable team, could and would take a discount for a yearly chance at winning a Cup.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:47 AM
in on the beat

It seems Atlanta is ready to move on, but how can they really ? Kovy was the face of the team and now they'll be lucky to win 10 more games the rest of the year.

Good move for Jersey though, with Broduer and Kovy I see the Devils as a major threat now.

5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 06:00 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Good debut for Kovy last night. Looked like his old self, even in his first game. Only gonna get better from here.

Wow, i actually want to watch the Devils now.

Oh, and in before the 1000 lock.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

vCash: 580
Salmela was good too, played 19.59.

Roland of Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:49 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Salmela looks like a player. That he was added only further strengthens this deal for NJ.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gilead View Post
Salmela was good too, played 19.59.
I really think people have overlooked the fact that he was part of this trade, AND that the team's switched 2nds. Salmela and Oduya really are a wash in my opinion, and now the Devils are going to pick like 37th instead of 27th... not a huge deal.

They really only gave up Bergfors, Cormier and a "2nd" for Kovalchuk. A fleecing, whether they win it all or not.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Salmela looks like a player. That he was added only further strengthens this deal for NJ.
Agreed. Also, Lou was able to swap 2nds with Waddell, which, to some extent, makes up for the loss of their 1st.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:02 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I really think people have overlooked the fact that he was part of this trade, AND that the team's switched 2nds. Salmela and Oduya really are a wash in my opinion, and now the Devils are going to pick like 37th instead of 27th... not a huge deal.

They really only gave up Bergfors, Cormier and a "2nd" for Kovalchuk. A fleecing, whether they win it all or not.
People underestimate Johnny Oduya. He's nothing like Anssi Salmela and comparing both players is, well... absurd. People look at stats and see that Oduya only has 4 pts. in 40 something games or so and automaticaly tag him as a bottom pairing d-men. The guy is a solid #3 d-men that can log big minutes. He'll be in Atlanta's top 4 for sure and will help their PP.

Salmela is a player NJ signed a couple of seasons ago and traded him to Atlanta Vs Niclas Havelid at last years deadline. With a little more coaching, Salmela can possibly crack our lineup full time but that's only if we keep our lineup as is cause I can garantee you that Lou is looking to add another d-men before the deadline expires.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:30 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post

Salmela could barely crack ATL's defense as a 3rd pairing guy and you are calling him and Oduya a wash. That's...strange to me. Salmela is a guy who has about 3 good games for the Thrashers. Those 3 games were ****ing incredible, but the rest of his TOI was rather painful to watch.

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

a little perspective for everyone...

first, most trades are made for the best offer available. whether atlanta got 'hosed' or not, lets not all assume that waddell had a million better deals available

second, even when a team does trade a highly paid superstar for a lot of reasonably priced depth players... the deal doesnt end here. caproom/salary is freed up. it can be respect keeping other pieces that might have otherwise been sacraficed. it cna be used to shop the ufa market.

so option a... offer kovalchuck 11 mill for 10/11 years and maybe he takes it...

or option b... get the best trade available... add 2 or 3 assets that are afforable and can play on your team... spend left over budget on another 2 or 3 upgrades for your lineup.... try to actually make the playoffs which is something the team hasnt done much of with kovalchuck around anyhow

obviously jersey 'won' this deal... but im not crying for atlanta for mssing out on the wonderful opportunity of paying kovalchuck 100 million dollars the next 12 years to miss the playoffs again and again and again

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
People underestimate Johnny Oduya. He's nothing like Anssi Salmela and comparing both players is, well... absurd. People look at stats and see that Oduya only has 4 pts. in 40 something games or so and automaticaly tag him as a bottom pairing d-men. The guy is a solid #3 d-men that can log big minutes. He'll be in Atlanta's top 4 for sure and will help their PP.

Salmela is a player NJ signed a couple of seasons ago and traded him to Atlanta Vs Niclas Havelid at last years deadline. With a little more coaching, Salmela can possibly crack our lineup full time but that's only if we keep our lineup as is cause I can garantee you that Lou is looking to add another d-men before the deadline expires.
I could be wrong, but I've seen a lot of Oduya and he never really impressed me very much. Salmela is younger and seems to bring a similar skill set, maybe not quite as mobile but a good head for transition an offense. Trust me, I hope I'm wrong, because I would like nothing more than to see this trade blow up in the Devil's face. But unfortunately I don't think it will.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashtoast View Post
Good insight Clisle....Question for you or NJ fans....Whats the deal with Oduya's lack of production this year from the blueline? Was he on the PP in previous years, but not this year? Is he just getting less TOI?

Man, if we (Thrashers) can resign Kubina somehow, our blueline is getting to pretty sick. (Bogo, Enstrom, Kubina, Oduya, Haisey, Valabik, Schubert and upcoming, Kulda...be nice if Ilya Nikulin would decide to come over LOL)
Here's to you on that 4-2 win last night despite the travel probs!

To be honest, I'm an Islander fan and am not sure why Oduya didn't get more time ont he PP or in offensive situations.

On the whole however, the NJ blueline is not a very offensive one. In addition, I believe Lemaire has made a lot of use of 4 forwards on the PP.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 332
Here is one thing I also don't get, may have been brought up by now, but not sure:

How did Waddell not get a conditional 1st or even 2nd if Kovalchuk re-signs? We ASSUME Kovalchuk won't re-sign in NJ, but you never know. If NJ had no plans it's moot anyways. He didn't get one for Hossa either, but he was willing to give one if they re-signed 35-year old Keith Tkachuk in 2007, who was just as unlikely to re-sign in ATL than Kovy is in NJ.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:59 AM
volgrad1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
a little perspective for everyone...

first, most trades are made for the best offer available. whether atlanta got 'hosed' or not, lets not all assume that waddell had a million better deals available

second, even when a team does trade a highly paid superstar for a lot of reasonably priced depth players... the deal doesnt end here. caproom/salary is freed up. it can be respect keeping other pieces that might have otherwise been sacraficed. it cna be used to shop the ufa market.

so option a... offer kovalchuck 11 mill for 10/11 years and maybe he takes it...

or option b... get the best trade available... add 2 or 3 assets that are afforable and can play on your team... spend left over budget on another 2 or 3 upgrades for your lineup.... try to actually make the playoffs which is something the team hasnt done much of with kovalchuck around anyhow

obviously jersey 'won' this deal... but im not crying for atlanta for mssing out on the wonderful opportunity of paying kovalchuck 100 million dollars the next 12 years to miss the playoffs again and again and again
BRILLIANT post! There is alot more to this trade forthcoming, in regards to the future makeup of the Thrashers, and I do look at it as a positive.

volgrad1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

after watching the last two games this trade makes atlanta better. they are playing for the team now and not for kovalchuk. everyone gave 100%. nobody was content to just sit back and wait for something to happen.

in last nights game, a game i attended, oduya was atlanta's best defenseman, especially on the pk(in fact i think he was the only d-man that didn't take a penalty last night). to call him and salmela a wash is absurd. salmela will give you one game out of every 10 where he looks like a top 4 guy, the other 9 he will barely cut it as a bottom pairing d-man. bergfors scored the gamewinner and looked solid for a rookie playing his 2nd game with a new team and new linemates. atlanta now has two of the top 6 rookie goal scorers, and one of them has never been given any legitimate powerplay time.

little, bogosian, enstrom, kane, bergfors, pavelec, and that's just the guys that are already in the league. atlanta has a very solid future. this trade in my opinion only increased that.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote