[SWE] Swedish players in the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2004, 07:36 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
[SWE] Swedish players in the NHL

Just a little report from the NHL season in swedish perspective.

Swedish players in the NHL since 1990-91:
1990-91: 17
1991-92: 18
1992-93: 24
1993-94: 24
1994-95: 28
1995-96: 35
1996-97: 36
1997-98: 39
1998-99: 41
1999-00: 46
2000-01: 47
2001-02: 53
2002-03: 58
2003-04: 52
2004-05: ?

Like this list tell, it's the first time in 13 years that the number of swedish players
in the NHL (playing at least 1 game) drops. The question is if this is a new trend, or
if the number will increase next season. One factor is many of our good NHLers have reached the age it's time to to leave NA, so probably this trend will progress for some seasons, although we'll still have around 50 players in the NHL. With the expiring CBA we can expect no big increase will happen next season though, and some players have already decided to move home.

----

New NHL players 2003-04: Michael Holmqvist (Anaheim), Tony Mårtensson (Anaheim), Niklas Kronwall (Detroit), Pierre Hedin (Toronto), Mathias Tjärnqvist (Dallas), Fredrik Sjöström (Phoenix), Nils Ekman (San Jose)

Left NHL (or didn't play any NHL-games) for 2003-04: Johan Holmqvist (Houston, AHL), Fredrik Olausson (HV 71), Hans Jonsson (Modo), Per Svartvadet (Modo), Mathias Johansson (Färjestad), Mats Lindgren (Injuried all season), Jonathan Hedström (Djurgården), Andreas Salomonsson (Modo), Patric Kjellberg (Retired), Tommy Westlund (Leksand), Jimmie Ölvestad (Hamilton, AHL), Jonas Höglund (Davos, Switzerland), Ulf Dahlen (Retired)

Had NHL contract but didn't play NHL-hockey 2003-04: Johan Holmqvist (Minnesota/Houston, AHL), Douglas Murray (San Jose/Cleveland, AHL), Andreas Holmqvist (Tampa Bay/Hamilton, AHL/Pensacola, ECHL), Mika Hannula (Minnesota/Houston, AHL), Jimmie Ölvestad (Tampa Bay/Hamilton, AHL)

----

New NHL Players 2004-05: -

Left NHL for 2004-05: Jonas Andersson (Södertälje), Jimmie Ölvestad (Djurgården), Mika Hannula (MIF Redhawks), Tony Mårtensson (linköping), Andreas Dackell (Brynäs), Mikael Renberg, Tommy Salo, Calle Johansson

Old
05-31-2004, 08:10 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

It will continue to drop unless the league expands again. The league expansion was the big reason why so many swedish players played the NHL for a while. Now when the talent level is evening out there is no room for the Tommy Westlunds, Andreas Karlssons, Andreas Dackells etc etc.

Old
05-31-2004, 08:20 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
It will continue to drop unless the league expands again. The league expansion was the big reason why so many swedish players played the NHL for a while. Now when the talent level is evening out there is no room for the Tommy Westlunds, Andreas Karlssons, Andreas Dackells etc etc.
hopefully there'll be no further expension.

but i agree with your statement incase of the expansion, but i think the number will increase in a few years again, because i feel the swedish youth is a good one. i don't see many swedes to move over the pond in the next 2-3 years, but after that a large number of players should do so. at least i hope so.

Old
05-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Riddarn,

You might be right about Andreas Karlsson and Tommy Westlund, but Andreas Dackell had the qualities to play in the NHL.

Old
05-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
Riddarn,

You might be right about Andreas Karlsson and Tommy Westlund, but Andreas Dackell had the qualities to play in the NHL.
Maybe so, but there are plenty of canadians/americans who are good enough to be checkers in the NHL. Dackell is better than both Karlsson and Westlund but he came to a new, expansion franchise in the Ottawa Senators. I doubt he would have played in the NHL if he had been drafted by the Colorado Avalanche or Dallas Stars..

Old
05-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
Maybe so, but there are plenty of canadians/americans who are good enough to be checkers in the NHL. Dackell is better than both Karlsson and Westlund but he came to a new, expansion franchise in the Ottawa Senators. I doubt he would have played in the NHL if he had been drafted by the Colorado Avalanche or Dallas Stars..
I have to disagree on that. First, Dackell was very good in Sweden. And who doesn't remember when he played with Fredrik Modin, very good duo, and I think Jonas Johnson centered them.

Anyway, Dackell played on the top line in Ottawa with Yashin and McEachern for some seasons, and he put som good numbers those years. Last season he was a good defensive forward on Montreal's third line, and also in the beginning of this season. He has been troubled with some injuries (in the knee I think) this season and other players took the chance when he was unable to play, finally leaving him on the bench. Don''t let his play the past months (or his lack of play that is) fool you. Dackell is a very good player, and I hope he proves it next season in the SEL.

However, we'll never know if he would have played in Dallas or Colorodao or Detroit if they drafted him. He would have been a good checker on those teams IMO, but who knows?

Closed Thread