HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Best Moments of 2003-04

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Bohologo

vCash: 500
The Best Moments of 2003-04

(I snaked this idea from the Isles board.)

Let's take a deep breath and focus on the positive. First person to start sniveling or whinging about How Lowe Sucks, Eh or Comrie Screwed Us, Dammit or The Oilers Are Doomed, Man gets a Flames jersey.

My highlights:
-Lowe buying at the trade deadline
-The Streak
-The Heritage Classic really was something else
-related to that, seeing Wayne wear the Oil drop one more time
-Torres emerges
-Smytty breaks Comrie's nose
-Ulanov's return from the dead

Let's repair the karma-what are your favourite moments of this season?

Old
04-23-2004, 05:10 PM
momentai

Even if the Heritage Classic didn't exactly help our luck this season, it was a great great spectacle to watch. It was great for the city, the fans, and hockey in general. That would be my pick.

Old
04-23-2004, 05:29 PM
YKOil

My highlights (copied some from thread starter):

- Lowe getting Nedved in one deal and trading Salo in another at the deadline
- The Streak
- The Heritage Classic - seeing the players back in their rightful colors (including Messier)
- Retirement Ceremony for Fuhr (I was at that game - AWESOME!)
- Emergence of Torres and Bergeron
- Lowe beats Murray and Comrie at a con-man's game (imo it was a coming of age for Lowe as a GM)
- Staois & Ulanov playing above their heads for as long as they did
- Lowe finally addresses a 'need' in a trade and gets Woytwika

YKOil

Old
04-23-2004, 05:39 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

our game against Nashville during the "streak"...wow...what a game.

Old
04-23-2004, 05:57 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Dallas wasn't bad either.

Old
04-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Cerebral

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Adam Oates signing yet. It certainly didn't pan out as well as many of us hoped for but boy was this board bursting with energy after that was announced.. I know it completely took me off guard for sure!

Old
04-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Oilers Hockey

Oilers win 6-2 in GM Place.

Old
04-23-2004, 06:39 PM
MrMackey

My highlights:
1. The Heritage Classic old-timers game
- Gretzky, Kurri, Messier in Oiler silks again
- Fuhr and Ranford standing on their heads
- The dozens of memories I'll keep with me forever

2. The hot streak

3. Nedved and Oates coming to town... two players I would've never guessed to make it to the team pre-CBA.

4. Torres, Stoll, Bergeron

5. When Smyth stopped playing centre and Salo stopped playing goal.

6. Moreau signs an extension for LESS MONEY and becomes the team MVP.

7. Comrie finally traded... and all the aftermath that made these boards such a fun place to visit.

8. Brewer turning the corner around Christmas after everyone was thinking he'd never pan out.

9. Ulanov coming to town and his impact on Semenov and then Bergeron.

10. Seeing Mizral lose the Horcoff bet.

Old
04-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
How about Mike Bishai in Atlanta's player's bench, fighting a Thrasher on the ice!

Old
04-23-2004, 07:26 PM
creative giant*

MC saying it was nice to play with players who actually had talent in Philly, then getting traded to phoenix

Old
04-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
When Eric Brewer scored 3:56 into OT against the Canucks on Hockey Day in Canada.

04-23-2004, 07:36 PM
oil slick

That laser beam by MAB in their win over Dallas.

Old
04-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Phanuthier*

I'm not an Oiler fan, but the Heritage Classic was amazing... I go to school in Edmonton (UofA) and my dad was up on a business trip so I stayed with my parents that night, and the atmosphere that day, with everyone all dressed up with jersey's on top gave me this special excitment that I hadn't felt since I first became a hockey fan in 1997 and tried to grasp every bit of hockey on TV or the news or newspaper.

Not so much the event, but the buzz the city was in. It was great day for hockey that day.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:45 PM
thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans

Most definately, I get to see very few Oilers games in person throughout the year (living in Van will do that), but that one was special. Emotion-wise, for me it compared to THE COMEBACK against Dallas.

HC was pretty cool too, except my beer kept freezing up on me.

The signings of Nedved / Markennen (sp?) were to me were very special. They catered to the franchises' most important people...the Fan(atic)s! As much as a higher draft pick would maybe help us in the long run, it was important for the Oiler brass to instill confidence in the team. This attitude from management is the high road, and IMO the only fork to take.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Obsessed

1) The HC. There was a 15 minute time limit to drink your beer or it was a frosty.
Seeing WG, MM & JK again in Oiler silks was priceless. The streaker was pretty comical too.

2) Smyth breaking Comries nose. Sadistic I know but he deserved it.

3) Raffi Torres.

4) The Atlanta brawl.

5) Ulanov's influence on the team.

6) The signing of Nedved.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:23 PM
TheFranchise83

my favorite moment(s) of the Oiler's season was that final month right up to the Vancouver game where everyone was so excited and this board really got some playoff atmosphere. I love playoff hockey and even though we didn't make the playoffs we sure were playing like the playoffs in the last month and I know it made me feel very excited for next year.

Oh and I'm also expecting draft day to be very exciting and a highlight of mine.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:24 PM
smytty's mullet

the heritage classic by far. the line "the heartland of hockey" was pretty lame imo opinion, until the classic. you pretty much realized that this was the heartland of hockey though when you see 57,000+ freezing people in the stands for 7 hours and most of us sticking around for the fire works afterwards when it's -25. i don't know if there's another team in the league that could have pulled that event off, with that weather and not had 1 person not show up. awesome. i'll never forget looking down the row in my section and and never having seen that much clothing in my life, but nobody bailing out.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:27 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
The Atlanta Brawl! Especially being there.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
6) The signing of Nedved.
Did I miss something?

Old
04-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Matts

Salo trade

now I won't feel that usual Tommy dread creep up on me around September

Old
04-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Lowetide

The first goal Raffi scored from the outer marker of the faceoff circle. I yelled holy spit (or some such) and tried to think of the last LW to score from there (it was Dan Lacouture).

Old
04-24-2004, 12:45 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet
the heritage classic by far. the line "the heartland of hockey" was pretty lame imo opinion, until the classic. you pretty much realized that this was the heartland of hockey though when you see 57,000+ freezing people in the stands for 7 hours and most of us sticking around for the fire works afterwards when it's -25. i don't know if there's another team in the league that could have pulled that event off, with that weather and not had 1 person not show up. awesome. i'll never forget looking down the row in my section and and never having seen that much clothing in my life, but nobody bailing out.
Yeah we've been made fun of for 'eating up that Heartland of Hockey tripe' but hey, it's a fitting name for our city - think about it, our city is the northernmost NHL team and this city lives and breathes hockey. You can see it in Edmontonians, when the team does well, everyones happy. When the team does bad, everyones down. Its pretty incredible when you think about it, how hockey can affect a whole cities' atmosphere, and it's makes me proud. What's amazing is that people were out there ALL FRICKING DAY and man it was cold that day.

Hockey is culture in Edmonton. It belongs here.

Last edited by Oilers Hockey: 04-24-2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old
04-24-2004, 02:02 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Yeah we've been made fun of for 'eating up that Heartland of Hockey tripe' but hey, it's a fitting name for our city - think about it, our city is the northernmost NHL team and this city lives and breathes hockey. You can see it in Edmontonians, when the team does well, everyones happy. When the team does bad, everyones down. Its pretty incredible when you think about it, how hockey can affect a whole cities' atmosphere, and it's makes me proud. What's amazing is that people were out there ALL FRICKING DAY and man it was cold that day.

Hockey is culture in Edmonton. It belongs here.
I'll definitely always remember the Heritage Classic.. it was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. Just hearing the fans chant "Moose" almost brought a tear to my eye..

Old
04-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Matts

It's not so much, at least IMO

that anyone's being fun of for buying all the Lowe and Oilers propoganda. I mean does your city love hockey? Damn right

what's to be made fun of are the Oilers hiring practices and the fact Lowe can pull the wool over the eyes of fans when it comes to ON the ice, ie this season having the Oilers as the worst of the six canadian teams

let's see Lowe spin that one. of course he already blamed it on Salo even though he was the idiot who let Salo start the season and then didn't even try to waive him and basically let him rot the team's playoff chances from the inside out

when someone prints that in a paper than I'll stop making fun. when someone points out that Sutter down the road tried to waive Turek and then went out and gambled on Kipper, then I'll be happy.

I'm not saying there are impact goalies out there everyday like Kipper was and he might fall apart next season. but at least sutter tried to improve the flames netminding instead of making excuses

Old
04-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

then I'll be happy.
Matts wins the Flames jersey! I think you've just shown everyone that you'll never be happy. I suggest therapy.

Closed Thread