Trade Deadline Moves

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2010, 10:21 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline Moves

Now that the big deal is out of the way, what do we want and think will happen?

Probable assets:

Kubina
Max
Lehts
Army
Devils 1st
Thrashers picks

Now that what's his face is gone, we need goal scorers/offense! Who do we get, and for what??

Old
02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Elyoric

Depends on if we're buyers or sellers. We have a whopping 5 games before the olympics/roster freeze/trade deadline to figure that out.

Moving Kozlov and/or Lehts now in either case might not be a bad idea since getting any return on them would be better than nothing at the end of the season when we're expected to bid them adieu.

If we're sellers, then Kubina has the most value hands down. I'm pretty sure the preference around e-Thrasherland though is to keep this guy if at all possible.

Army & Max are another two that we might like to keep around, but not really sure if they'll stay. Assuming you were a good GM, you might have that conversation with those two before deciding to move them or not. We know what happens when you assume though, right?

Old
02-05-2010, 01:53 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I believe the Falconer said that Max wants out once Kovy is moved. If that's the case, I wonder what the market would be for him?

Old
02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

i would hang on to max for the year. i doubt the return would be worth losing even more goals out of the lineup.

we are best served moving a goalie and picks to get some scoring back in.

realistically we need to add a 25 goal scorer if we can, and preferably one that does not suck at defense.

Old
02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

IMO...Ponikarovky is the best answer. The only problem is that with the pick we send for someone, we have to send a roster player too. We need the spot. If we can convince Kozz to drop the NTC, that would be fantastic.

Old
02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
IMO...Ponikarovky is the best answer. The only problem is that with the pick we send for someone, we have to send a roster player too. We need the spot. If we can convince Kozz to drop the NTC, that would be fantastic.
I'd say to send out Armstrong and a 3rd or 4th. Armstrong is a Burke type player.

Old
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
thrashers=cup05

Quote:
I've said in posts before that we need to trade kozzy, as an organization we owe him one last chance to hoist lord stanley again. If we trade him it will be to a contender and that will get us pick or prospects. Kubina will get a 1st rounder. max and army are the most valuable. army cause for some reason gms have a love fest with him and max because of the scoring he bring and his price. he can fit under any teams cap looking for sencondary scoring. all of these players are UFA's and would be traded to teams looking to make a playoff push. this means we will not get a roster player back if we do it will be a bad contract which we dont want or need. we will mostly get back picks and prospects which wont be valuable unless packed and huge over payement ala both first rounder army, max, and kubina to LA for simmons. (thats just an example.) this move would be pointless for this year.

Old
02-05-2010, 04:10 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
I'd say to send out Armstrong and a 3rd or 4th. Armstrong is a Burke type player.
I like that a lot.

Old
02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Ashe

Turco/Rib/Ott would be my targets. Especially for a playoff push.

If dallas decides to rebuild. We get a proven nhl goalie, to give us some time to decide on the others. and help the stretch push.

A center who quietly puts up points.

Some more grit for the third.

We have a late first to offer, armstrong, late second, some young defence.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Shameus

If this team goes into fire sale mode, which I really hope they don't, there are a couple of things this team and it's prospect depth doesn't need: Bottom 6 forward and 4-6 defenseman. They need Top 6 forward prospect and a defensive prospect that can be a 2 or 3 (no body's giving up a guy that can be a 1), or a good goalie prospect.

With that in mind, I say the team should try trading up. Take the lowest rated player that they are going to trade and move him for say a pick. Take the pick, pair it with another player and get something better. Take the something better and pair it with the next player and get.....something even better. Continue this until you have a 2 or 3 defensive prospect, a top 6 (but preferably top line forward prospect) or a high level goalie prospect.

With the team's prospect depth and in some ways team depth right now, High end prospects are what this organization needs most.

If there is going to be a fire sale and all.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:41 AM
RoyalAir
Looks Better In Gold

Ponikarovsky is a fantastic option, and one that could potentially re-sign, considering he and Antropov have history. Hell, we could overpay him by a million a year, and he'd still be "cheap."

I also think that a proven NHL goaltender would be a good addition, but I think the best option has already landed in Toronto. Looking at Turco's statistics, he's not historically any better than Kari, and supposedly, he's nuttier than a squirrel turd. I mean, I know all goalies are typically weird (the sports world's version of drummers), but I think Turco takes it to a new level. He's not really an upgrade, I don't think. Martin Biron, however, could be. I don't know what the Islanders want for him, but he's definitely available now that DiPi is back.
However, the need for a goaltender (is it really a need?) could be mitigated dependent upon Lehtonen's performance. I'm not really advocating handing him the keys to the kingdom based on his prior issues, but, perhaps, he could get hot enough to steal some games down the stretch.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Sabreality

Turco is done, i want no part of him, especially sonsidering our D's poor play...his form is crap these days. (not that it was ever pretty)

Kubina will fetch the biggest return and i think he needs to be moved if he wants to tst July 1...cant let him walk for nothing.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I could see the Flyers wanting Armstrong.

Andreas Nodl for him?

Old
02-06-2010, 03:45 PM
HatTrick89

Send a message via AIM to HatTrick89
Devils still need a decent center or dman...do you guys have any? We could give you your 2nd rounder back possibly or swap

Old
02-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick89 View Post
Devils still need a decent center or dman...do you guys have any? We could give you your 2nd rounder back possibly or swap
Todd White can be yours for the great low price of a signed Ilya Kovalchuk jersey!

Old
02-10-2010, 04:21 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

So, I just looked up our picks in the upcoming draft:

2 Firsts
1 Second
2 Thirds
2 Fourths
2 Fifths

We have a lot of picks

Old
02-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Norm MacDonald

I think the Thrashers should really pursue Ponikarovsky, mostly because they would have a decent shot an re-signing him. He was close friends with Antropov in Toronto, and I think he would be a good fit for Atlanta.
Quote:
So, I just looked up our picks in the upcoming draft:

2 Firsts
1 Second
2 Thirds
2 Fourths
2 Fifths

We have a lot of picks
That could be really exciting if the Thrashers weren't awful at drafting and developing prospects.

Last edited by Norm MacDonald: 02-10-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old
02-10-2010, 04:48 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

and to think... we could have another first if we can't work a deal with Kubina.

I'd even try to package Armstrong and our 2nd for another 1st.

Old
02-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
I think the Thrashers should really pursue Ponikarovsky, mostly because they would have a decent shot an re-signing him. He was close friends with Antropov in Toronto, and I think he would be a good fit for Atlanta.
But where do you play him? He's not exactly 1st line material and he's 30, so his skills aren't going to get any better.

Old
02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Doesn't appear Kozzy is going to move...at least at this deadline...

Custance:

Quote:
Been asked by some of you if Thrash are trading Kozlov. Phones aren't exactly lighting up for him & he has not been asked to waive NTC.

Old
02-12-2010, 02:35 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Vivlamore. Looks like we're waiting till March 3rd.

Quote:
I'm told no moves today for the Thrashers.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
That could be really exciting if the Thrashers weren't awful at drafting and developing prospects.
dudley is a very good talent evaluator and the last draft had some very good picks even if it was a very deep draft. we have had an increase lately in the number of prospects that look good, i'm optimistic.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Hockey Biltong

In Dudley we trust,same as Dimitrov.

Old
02-13-2010, 11:39 AM
odgersfan83

Tonight is big. Hawks are super tough, but if we can go into the break within a point or two of the playoffs, I think we make a move to get one more forward.

Old
02-16-2010, 08:59 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

With the Thrashers 2 pts out of 8th spot and 3 games on hand with 2 1st round picks are the Thrashers buyers or sellers... With that being said without a face of the franchise like Kovalchuk around i think i would do a quick rebuild at this years draft become sellers and then give it ago next season

Closed Thread