Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you root for?

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2004, 07:08 PM
disfigured

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Who do you root for?

Before you guys start reeling off answers. It's sort of a retorical question. Not, which teams are you rooting for for?..but more in the ilk of , who do you root for after such a crushing blow emotionally, and what are the criteria for the decision.

I love the sport, and it's just a joy to watch any P.O game in my opinion. But at some point during a series, you have to emotionally attach yourself to one of the teams.

I was allways in the mind set to root for whoever eliminated you. The logic being if they win (of course believing that my rooting helped) "The Cup", then we lost to the champs. Hopefully putting us in a better light.

Alas, that is not a reasonable option seeing as it's the Habs (see long and storied rivals website if need be).

Sometimes I root for a team just because, I don't like a particular player on the opposing team. For instance Keith Primeau has always rubbed me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on it , and it's totally irrational, but there's something about him I don't like. So I'll lean towards Toronto.

Sometimes I go for the underdog. It's nice to see them win,and they seem to enjoy it alot too.Plus, no one likes a blow out or sweep (unless it's your home team, and we all know that's not the case , hence this thread).

So who do you root for?.....and what are the criteria for the choice?

Who am I rooting for? Still up in the air mostly.

Last edited by disfigured: 04-23-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Old
04-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I don't really root for anybody...

I have a soft place in my heart for the Leafs and Flyers...
I like their style of play. I enjoy that type of hockey. But moreso because of some of their posters here at Hf. I've been friends with a few of them for some time now.
They suffer for a Cup just as bad as we do. Many of them although grown with families have never seen their team win one. Sound Familiar ?
And one Leafs buddy of mine, although he does remember the last time they won..he could use the lift it brings...he's had a year that no man should have to endure.

So.. I'll probably pull for whichever team wins that series.

As far as the Habs are concerned.. I'd rather eat glass than root for them.
Never , ever will happen.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-23-2004, 07:48 PM
erfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured
So who do you route for?.....and what are the criteria for the choice?

Who am I routing for? Still up in the air mostly.
The Boston Red Sox, because:

1) They're still playing (at least until October)
and
2) I'm a provincial Bostonian.

I know...that doesn't help you out.

Old
04-23-2004, 08:06 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I root for noone else. I can still *watch* hockey without the Bruins, but it's only for the love of the game.

Old
04-23-2004, 08:49 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Combo of Wally and WBC...

I don't really have a vested interest in it now: just watching because - hey - it's playoff hockey... except for I'll be rooting for whoever the Habs are playing any given time.

And it's not just that the Habs beat the B's - because I usually find myself rooting for the team that put an end to my team's season... I guess it lessens the blow if my team was beat by the eventual Champions.

Except for the Habs. I hope they die a fast death in this round.

oh yeah - and the Yankees... Never-ever root for them... Anybody who roots for them is evil.

Old
04-23-2004, 08:53 PM
WannaBeGoalie1

Well even before our beloved boys got knocked out i was already rooting for other teams. (gotta like other teams, gotta like ALL hockey, which i do) Ive watched at least one game of every series in the first, and now obviously the 2nd round.

I LOVED the OTT-TOR series, it was fierce and so much emotion in it. (not the kind of emotion the boston-montreal series had though, the good kind) Hard hitting, hard checking, back-checking, good goaltending at times, just awesome hockey, the battle of Ontario. But with me really liking Tomas Kaberle (dont ask why, i never know why i like a guy, just some weird thing) i had to root on the Leafs. And Still am. They have a great veteran team, A TON of Future Hall of Famers, and just a lot of firepower. (if they dont come outta the east ill be pretty surprised)

I can never root for the Flyers, for some reason ever since i started watching hockey, ive HATED the FLYERS!!!! with a passion.

Dont really like Tampa, and hate the Habs, so im rooting for the Lightning in that series.

Another 1st round series i LOVED watching, even though the time killed me, was the Calgary-Vancouver series. It was the same as the TOR-OTT series. Tons of emotion, a bunch of great hits, nice saves, etc. It was so great watching it, i loved it. Going into the playoffs i was rooting for both teams, now that the 'Nucks are out im going for the Flames in this round. Who wants to let Detroit win? NOT I thats for sure! (even though i will feel extremely bad for CUJO if they dont)

Ive loved Colorado since Patrick Roy was traded there. He won me over. Loved him in montreal, but couldnt because of the rirvalry, but once he went Avs so did i. And with Sakic, Foote, Tanguay, Gratton, Hinote, Hejduk, etc their just such a great team on paper, as well as Abby who replaced Roy who's done a great job. But, holy C*rap did the sharks kill them. I definitely dont think the avs were ready for the Sharks being THAT good and THAT up-beat. Someone said the Sharks where the underdog in the series even being the #2 seed (avs #4). I loved the first game of this series, big brawl with 1:35 left in the game. It was nuts. Of course it was the A$$ of Matt Barnaby starting it all mostly, but it was exciting. lol gotta love the fights

But i guess if i had to choose

West: Calgary
East: Toronto

Ill be screaming and yelling for EVERY GOAL of that series.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Strafer

ABC-Anybody But the Canadiens!

Old
04-23-2004, 09:16 PM
BruinsGirl

I used to hate Flyers but lately B's played very good games against them and their fans stopped being so arrogant toward us...and they've never been as arrogant as Leafs fans can be.

I never liked Bolts too much and of course Habs can't be a team I would ever root for.

So.. While I am not a fan of any team I kinda root for the Fly boys. Their style remind me of the Bruins and their management seriously committed to winning.

I can live with Flyers - Tampa and to the lesser extent Toronto - Tampa ECF.

On the West Sharks - Calgary could be a refreshing WCF...although I am not sure Calgary will be able to beat Detroit. Sharks - Detroit could be fun too.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:05 PM
sarge88

I tend to root against teams rather than for them (other than the B's).

I truly hate most of the other teams in the league so the playoffs become difficult for me.

First of all, I'm rooting for the Canadiens and Avs to be eliminated because they are in my top 3 of teams that I hate.

After that, I'd like to see Detroit eliminated because I'm sick of the "ESPN REDWINGS", I mean really are they ever not on?

I guess I'd like to see Philly win the cup because of Amonte and Roenick and I really don't hate anyone on the Flyers.

After that I can see myself becoming a T.B. fan, especially if they can get the Habs out of the way relatively quickly.

So to summarize;

In order of preference;

1. Habs lose
2. Avs lose
3. Wings lose.
4. Philly wins cup.
5. T.B. wins cup
6. Calgary/S.J. wins cup
7. Toronto wins cup.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:09 PM
mattkaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfus
The Boston Red Sox, because:

1) They're still playing (at least until October)
About 2 games in October... than the playoffs begin.

I'm rooting for the Leafs, only cause I live in Ottawa, I hate the Sens and didn't wanna switch teams from that series. So, I'm with the Leafs now for the remainder of the playoffs!!

Old
04-23-2004, 10:38 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibbb
ABC-Anybody But the Canadiens!
a-friggin-men. i just got back from my buddy's place, and i have to say, it was AWESOME watching montreal get slapped around like nobody's business tonight. get the broom ready...i feel a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep coming on for los smurfs. i don't think smurf village will take too kindly that...and theo looked like he had too many vachon cakes over the course of the week.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:55 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
a-friggin-men. i just got back from my buddy's place, and i have to say, it was AWESOME watching montreal get slapped around like nobody's business tonight. get the broom ready...i feel a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep coming on for los smurfs. i don't think smurf village will take too kindly that...and theo looked like he had too many vachon cakes over the course of the week.
neelynugs, I love ya, man, but DO NOT put a hex on another team, ok????? (in this case, Tampa Bay). Last time you guaranteed wins and such, the team lost the series. It's kind of like saying shutout before the game is through and jinxing your goaltender.

I tend to cheer for the underdogs... this year, that most defines Calgary (IMO) because they definitely weren't expected to get by Vancouver. In the Philly-Toronto series, I picked the lesser of two evils (Philly) to root for... I like both the Sharks and the Avs, so either team winning will be ok with me (I'm cheering for both)... I like some of the players on the Lightning, and I detest most of the Habs, and thanks to some of their more obnoxious fans, I detest the Habs even more than I used to (which was already quite a bit).

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
04-24-2004, 08:50 AM
howaryuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88
I tend to root against teams rather than for them (other than the B's).

I truly hate most of the other teams in the league so the playoffs become difficult for me.
I'm with Sarge on this one, I find it very enjoyable to watch the Bruins win, and almost as much when certain teams lose;
1. Montreal - say no more.
2. Toronto - being close in proximity,these guys are the biggest bunch of whiners most of the time. Ken Dryden puts a big article about whats wrong with hockey, look at this time, how many guys were drafted by TO? all of em bought just about.
3. New Jersey - boring, boring, boring (take Brodeur anytime though).

No doubt, there is lots of good hockey yet to watch, but my wife won't be a hockey widow for the rest of the playoffs now that the B's are out.

Old
04-24-2004, 10:59 AM
tarabelle99

Send a message via AIM to tarabelle99
there will always be teams I despise: like Montreal, Philthy and the WhalerCanes.

Other than that, I'll watch teams based on the style of play, or for a particular player.

Right now I tend to like Vancouver, San Jose, and Tampa.

Oh, and I love the Rangers, as long as they have Glen Sather making the worst acquisitions and supplying hockey fans all over with years of laughable hockey and entertainment at their expense :lol

Old
04-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Three teams left to cheer for...

San Jose
Calgary
Tampa Bay

I sort of predicted Tampa to be in the finals this year, and I still say that these is not an all around team in this league that is built better than them... And they are playing Montreal, so...

Calgary... Well I live hours away.. And I LOVE the Sutters' style of coaching, and GMing. Darryl has managed to put a team together that can pull upsets, and go out and grind like nobody's business. They are fun to watch, and I hope they'll go all the way.

Same kind of reason that I'm cheering for the Sharks as well. I think that a big reason for their success was the fact that Darryl ran that team for a while. There are also quite a few Western Canadian boys on that team, so...

Those are the three... Leafs and Habs can rot in hell.

Old
04-24-2004, 08:55 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
to Kevin from Melrose and the rest of you

forget rooting for the Wings, Avs, Habs, Bolts or whoever....go with the Sharks. First off, they have the best uniforms in hockey. Best logo, best name, best colors. They are also not the rich Avs, Flyers, or Wings. They are every team. They have enough recognizable players and they have stars and tough guys. Last year they didn't even make the playoffs now they are going to wipe out the Avs in 5 games. Calgary was going to be the choice and they are still the second pick but the Sharks are a great story- and not a fish one

Old
04-24-2004, 10:36 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
forget rooting for the Wings, Avs, Habs, Bolts or whoever....go with the Sharks. First off, they have the best uniforms in hockey. Best logo, best name, best colors. They are also not the rich Avs, Flyers, or Wings. They are every team. They have enough recognizable players and they have stars and tough guys. Last year they didn't even make the playoffs now they are going to wipe out the Avs in 5 games. Calgary was going to be the choice and they are still the second pick but the Sharks are a great story- and not a fish one
I really am starting to fall in love with the Sharks, I've always liked McLAren, Stuart Ricci and Thornton. Chechoo could become on of my favorites pretty quickly and as an added bonus, they are up 2-0 to the detested Divealanche.

Obviously T.B. gave me one game's worth of joy last night, but I'll wait and see if they can dispose of the despised "Stop, flop and roll" (Formerly the bleu, blanc and rouge), before I annoint them as my 2nd choice to win the cup. (Flyers still standing strong as # 1)

Closed Thread