HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl-edm

Old
02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
So is the general consensus amongst Habs fans that Halak is the one to keep over Price? I don't follow as closely (I'm an Oilers fan) but it seems pretty ambivalent over who would be the one to keep.

Either way I don't know if the Oilers would bother dealing for Price or Halak. There are deeper, endemic issues in their lineup at the moment that need to be dealt with before they really think about shoring up goaltending -- our team is not going to be competitive for a while, short of some miraculous turnaround both in the lineup and in the play on the ice (and that's even looking forward to next season since this one is a wash). Price, or any other upper level goalie, would be wasted here as the Oilers try to turn things around frankly. The Habs and Oil just don't seem to be great trading partners.
I figure the Oilers will be a top 3 West Division team if not next year then the year after and they should be trading and acquiring players based on that belief. I would assume that the Oilers will get rid of 7 -10 players before the next season starts and probably half of them because they wore out there welcome more than anything else.

They are nowhere near as bad as their record indicated and with a decent starting goalie and a decent scorer or two they would be easily competing for a playoff spot now.

I think the Habs should be looking at Nilsson, Grebeshkov and if the Oilers wanted to trade bad contracts Horcoff for Gomez. Gomez's contract is finished up earlier and in two years the Oilers could trade him to a lower spending team. Gomez would help the younger players adapt to the NHL much better than Horcoff ever will.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

I think the Habs should be looking at Nilsson, Grebeshkov and if the Oilers wanted to trade bad contracts Horcoff for Gomez. Gomez's contract is finished up earlier and in two years the Oilers could trade him to a lower spending team. Gomez would help the younger players adapt to the NHL much better than Horcoff ever will.
As bad as Gomez's contract is i wouldn't do Gomez for Horcoff. Heck no. The chemistry he has with Gionta is valuable to the Habs. Unfortunately Gomez is nothing without Gionta and Gionta was injured for a good portion of the season. Since Gionta's return Gomez has been a pt/game player.

No team would be interested in Nillson - especially the habs. Again another under-performing small forward....

Grebs has value but what would the Habs give up for him? Lapierre + Gill? Habs won't trade Price/Halak for Grebs....

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:11 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!! We got rid of Souray because he is not defensively sound nor worth the contract he got from Edmonton. We do not want Cogliano because we have enough underachieving borderline AHL/NHL smurfs of our own. Brule is interesting, but is not enough with a 2nd for Price. Without a TOP prospect like Eberle or MPS as part of a trade for Price, please, let Edmonton keep all of their players and we will (I hope!) keep Price.

Cogliano will never get you any goalie with Biron's skill set, never mind Price.
You got rid of Souray by offering him the same money we did with 1 less year? Yeah, that really sounds like you chased him outta town with pitchforks

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
As bad as Gomez's contract is i wouldn't do Gomez for Horcoff. Heck no. The chemistry he has with Gionta is valuable to the Habs. Unfortunately Gomez is nothing without Gionta and Gionta was injured for a good portion of the season. Since Gionta's return Gomez has been a pt/game player.

No team would be interested in Nillson - especially the habs. Again another under-performing small forward....

Grebs has value but what would the Habs give up for him? Lapierre + Gill? Habs won't trade Price/Halak for Grebs....
I was thinking of getting rid of Gionta too. Over $12 million cap hit for Gomez/Gionta is too big impediment to fielding a competitive team, imo.

Nilsson is 6' which is half foot taller than most of the Canadien's forwards and he is an affordable second or third line centre which is what we need. I would trade Halak and a second round pick for Nilsson and Grebs.

Old
02-07-2010, 01:33 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
I was thinking of getting rid of Gionta too. Over $12 million cap hit for Gomez/Gionta is too big impediment to fielding a competitive team, imo.

Nilsson is 6' which is half foot taller than most of the Canadien's forwards and he is an affordable second or third line centre which is what we need. I would trade Halak and a second round pick for Nilsson and Grebs.
Oh good lord... Gionta is our leader and is clutch. If Gainey traded Halak AND a 2nd for Nilsson and Grebs he would have to fire himself for stupidity.

Nilsson could be had for a 6th round pick. Oilers include him in every trade offer just to get rid of him.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

Don't really want Gagner or Cogliano on the habs, already have more talented tiny players. They fill zero need. Price would garner huge interest and the Habs could get much better than those offers.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Oh good lord... Gionta is our leader and is clutch. If Gainey traded Halak AND a 2nd for Nilsson and Grebs he would have to fire himself for stupidity.

Nilsson could be had for a 6th round pick. Oilers include him in every trade offer just to get rid of him.
Halak and a second isn't worth that much which is equal to the value the Habs are receiving. I can see and understand why people don't like Nilsson or Grebs but they are both skilled players with plenty of upside potential.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Halak and a second isn't worth that much which is equal to the value the Habs are receiving. I can see and understand why people don't like Nilsson or Grebs but they are both skilled players with plenty of upside potential.
You don't think Halak is worth much and you call yourself a Habs fan? He's the guy that has us in playoff contention. If not for goaltending the Habs would be competing with the Oilers for the Taylor Hall sweepstakes!

Old
02-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
You don't think Halak is worth much and you call yourself a Habs fan? He's the guy that has us in playoff contention. If not for goaltending the Habs would be competing with the Oilers for the Taylor Hall sweepstakes!
If Halak wants to stay he should say so. If he doesn't, Gainey should respect his wishes and punt him down the road. I'm happy to keep Price and Halak as #1a and #1b for a decade more if the goalies are cool with it.

I would rather have Hall then Gionta as our second line winger next year, btw.

Old
02-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Merya
nhl orphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
So you have inside information of all teams now?
If I had, I would've said: "No team is interested in Price". Work on your reading comprehension.

Merya is offline   Reply With Quote