HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers 2/6/10 - 7:00 PM - MSG 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2010, 10:30 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
If you guys want to see something funny, Fischler is about to name the 5 best captains in the NHL.... and I think Drury may be one of them.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
i agree with everything but the girardi comment.
besides hank and cally he was the best player in blue tonight. Youve got a guy who shouldnt be playing top line minutes covering kovy all night and i think he had easily his best game of the year.
I disagree, I think didn't think Girardi looked very good at all. Yes, he played Kovalchuk, but I still think that Girardi isn't progressing at all.

I have believed this for a while, but I truly think he'll be dealt in the near future, possibly over the summer or something. He's very expendable IMO.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:35 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
If you guys want to see something funny, Fischler is about to name the 5 best captains in the NHL.... and I think Drury may be one of them.
Haha Sid Crosby, Al Ovechkin...ohh Fischler. He lives in my town and my dad knows him a little, he's sure a character. In his weekly columns he always talks about how much he wants Gil Heredia back on the Oakland A's, and mentions something inane like "most underrated classic saxophone duet" or something...

Anyway, that list was pretty decent, I don't know about Rivet being #4 for Buffalo, but he's a pretty low-profile guy.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:35 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I disagree, I think didn't think Girardi looked very good at all. Yes, he played Kovalchuk, but I still think that Girardi isn't progressing at all.

I have believed this for a while, but I truly think he'll be dealt in the near future, possibly over the summer or something. He's very expendable IMO.
He played better tonight than he has been lately... but that's not saying much because he's been playing like crap lately.

Girardi was on the ice for the Devil's only goal, Kovalchuk crushed him into the boards and took him out of the play.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:39 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:

youre probobly right he probobly will be dealt and he has progressed to what nyr is praying he could be, which is unreasonable. He never will be a top pair dman, thats like asking drury to be a 50 goal scorer.
On the other hand he is definately a servicable 2nd-3rd pairing dman unfortunately due to the uneptatude of the guys who were supposed to be the top pair has forced him to play above his ability.

i thought he handled the job very well tonight.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
He played better tonight than he has been lately... but that's not saying much because he's been playing like crap lately.

Girardi was on the ice for the Devil's only goal, Kovalchuk crushed him into the boards and took him out of the play.
that goal was hardly his fault, he took the hit, moved the puck and prospal did the fly by on his guy in front resulting in the goal.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:42 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:

I feel like with Girardi, we're playing with house money. The guy was undrafted, came out of nowhere, and wasn't even a known prospect. However, he is not progressing. Just like Tyutin, he seems to have hit a developmental wall here. He's not great offensively, not great defensively, isn't overly physical, isn't super young (25) and seems to be playing as well as he probably will.

He's not bad , but he's nothing special, if you know what I mean. We have Del Zotto, Gilroy, who I pray will be here for the long haul because he DOES have the potential, Sanguinetti and McD all who have higher ceilings than Girardi, plus we have Staal already here as well. And, in the real world, unlike the HF world, established NHLers like Girardi DO have more trade value than a guy like Sanguinetti or McD which I think is evident based on the last group of trades, even if these prospects have higher ceilings...therefore, I think Girardi is the perfect guy to trade. Not only can we get something of value (hopefully), but we do have some guys in the system that, while not established, should be at least as good, or hopefully better than Girardi.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:45 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:
youre probobly right he probobly will be dealt and he has progressed to what nyr is praying he could be, which is unreasonable. He never will be a top pair dman, thats like asking drury to be a 50 goal scorer.
On the other hand he is definately a servicable 2nd-3rd pairing dman unfortunately due to the uneptatude of the guys who were supposed to be the top pair has forced him to play above his ability.

i thought he handled the job very well tonight.
What you're saying definitely has some truth to it. Maybe the fact that he really isn't playing where he should be has something to do with how he's looked. Girardi is serviceable, and I do like him, I just feel like he fits the bill for guys with some value who are easy to trade. He hasn't been horrible for sure, but he's looked very average for most of the year. He hasn't taken the next step in his development, but then again I think he has already surpassed most expectations to begin with, so perhaps we should be thankful for what he gives us.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:51 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
I feel like with Girardi, we're playing with house money. The guy was undrafted, came out of nowhere, and wasn't even a known prospect. However, he is not progressing. Just like Tyutin, he seems to have hit a developmental wall here. He's not great offensively, not great defensively, isn't overly physical, isn't super young (25) and seems to be playing as well as he probably will.

He's not bad , but he's nothing special, if you know what I mean. We have Del Zotto, Gilroy, who I pray will be here for the long haul because he DOES have the potential, Sanguinetti and McD all who have higher ceilings than Girardi, plus we have Staal already here as well. And, in the real world, unlike the HF world, established NHLers like Girardi DO have more trade value than a guy like Sanguinetti or McD which I think is evident based on the last group of trades, even if these prospects have higher ceilings...therefore, I think Girardi is the perfect guy to trade. Not only can we get something of value (hopefully), but we do have some guys in the system that, while not established, should be at least as good, or hopefully better than Girardi.
Totally agree with your assessment, and the Tyutin comparison is a good one.

Tyutin hit a plateau in his development and I think something similar is going on here with Girardi. I actually think his play has regressed a bit over the years.... he was so solid and consistent during his rookie year, he played like a veteran and was very steady.

Now he's prone to inconsistency and makes rookie mistakes. I do think he's being put in a role where he's in over his head, on a contending team Girardi would probably be a 3rd pairing guy. But it's insanely frustrating to watch Girardi make a mistake when he is paired with the rookie Del Zotto, he should be more of a steady and calm presence.

I'd be surprised if Girardi wasn't traded, but Torts usually speaks highly of him. We'll see what happens.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:57 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Another solid defensive performance, for all of you anti-Girardi fans.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:01 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Totally agree with your assessment, and the Tyutin comparison is a good one.

Tyutin hit a plateau in his development and I think something similar is going on here with Girardi. I actually think his play has regressed a bit over the years.... he was so solid and consistent during his rookie year, he played like a veteran and was very steady.

Now he's prone to inconsistency and makes rookie mistakes. I do think he's being put in a role where he's in over his head, on a contending team Girardi would probably be a 3rd pairing guy. But it's insanely frustrating to watch Girardi make a mistake when he is paired with the rookie Del Zotto, he should be more of a steady and calm presence.

I'd be surprised if Girardi wasn't traded, but Torts usually speaks highly of him. We'll see what happens.
exactly when toots and girardi came on the scene they were basically put n a roll they shouldve never left. toots has a little more of an upside i think but girardi came in with the understanding his job was to just be a stay at home dman, move the puck, make smart outlet passes and that was it. He did just that and was fine now i think they are simply asking too much of him, sad but true.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:02 PM
XLJ

I wouldn't trade Girardi. They need to dump Redden and Rozsival in the offseason. They can sign Volchenkov in the offseason and have him take Rozsival spot. NExt year they will have 2 defensemen with 1 year experience (Gilroy, MDZ) and then they could give Redden spot to one of the rookie defensemen whichever one is ready. I would keep Girardi for next year. I dont think they could replace 3 defensemen. You would have way too many rookies and guys with 1 year experience next year.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:08 PM
In The Flesh

Just happy for the fans who have had to witness some real **** play this yr. Anytime we beat the Devils like we did tonight is a great night.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:12 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
exactly when toots and girardi came on the scene they were basically put n a roll they shouldve never left. toots has a little more of an upside i think but girardi came in with the understanding his job was to just be a stay at home dman, move the puck, make smart outlet passes and that was it. He did just that and was fine now i think they are simply asking too much of him, sad but true.
It's very true, we've been rushing Dmen for yrs now. Tytuin, Girardi, Staal, Gilroy, DZ. Problem is we've had no choice but to bring these guys up because we had such **** on the blue line.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:30 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
It's very true, we've been rushing Dmen for yrs now. Tytuin, Girardi, Staal, Gilroy, DZ. Problem is we've had no choice but to bring these guys up because we had such **** on the blue line.

yep and couple that with the lack of scoring ability over the past few years and hwo much the team lean on the defense and goaltending to
give them any chance...we cant be all that upset with the young dmen.
Redden and rosi on the other hand...actually strike that, im not a huge rosi basher, i dont think hes nearly as bad as most here seem to think he is.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:33 PM
NYRangers84
Lundqvist=overrated

Back from the game and what a hell of a night it was, Lots of Marty chants and I was chanting it big time! Great game from the boys especially Henrik- he was incredible. I very rarely go to games but looks like I should go more often.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

Girardi isn't going to "progress" into something different. He is what he is, but he can get better and round out both defensively and offensively with more and more experience. He's going to have ups and downs like anyone else, but there's a huge difference between someone who's "expendable" and someone who we should trade for the sake of trading. Kotalik is a guy you trade for the sake of trading because he brings too little for his salary / contract length. Girardi is NOT going to get a big raise this offseason. He'll make around 2 million. That fits what he does. He's a very solid D-man and on this Rangers team, that's a commodity. As mentioned, he's playing minutes above his paygrade, and for the most part he does a very good job. The effort is always there. I'd like to see him continue to be more physical on a consistent basis, every shift, but the guy played a very strong game tonight and I don't know how anyone can argue that. If Staal or DZ did what Girardi did against Kovalchuk tonight, everyone would be humping them. I don't get the hate. I really don't.

Also, Callahan will be the next captain. Book it. Not Dubi (who had a great game as well and could not be knocked off the puck; Jagr-esque), not Gaborik, not Staal. Ryan Callahan will be captain of this team after Drury.

Finally, I loved DZ knocking Kovalchuk down after that scoring chance in the 3rd. It's incredible to see him be so physical and aggressive at such an early age, AS AN OFFENSIVE D-MAN, which is clearly what he is, but he's showing already that he's got all the tools and will to be an absolutely complete D-man that the rest of the league will be drooling over. So happy we drafted this kid and so happy I get to watch his career from the start.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:06 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Just happy for the fans who have had to witness some real **** play this yr. Anytime we beat the Devils like we did tonight is a great night.
yeah, going into the game i was thinking a loss would be fine with me...but then i was like f that, hank owns the devils so let's win it. i just get nervous every time we win, thinking sather is going to do something stupid.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:07 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Girardi isn't going to "progress" into something different. He is what he is, but he can get better and round out both defensively and offensively with more and more experience. He's going to have ups and downs like anyone else, but there's a huge difference between someone who's "expendable" and someone who we should trade for the sake of trading. Kotalik is a guy you trade for the sake of trading because he brings too little for his salary / contract length. Girardi is NOT going to get a big raise this offseason. He'll make around 2 million. That fits what he does. He's a very solid D-man and on this Rangers team, that's a commodity. As mentioned, he's playing minutes above his paygrade, and for the most part he does a very good job. The effort is always there. I'd like to see him continue to be more physical on a consistent basis, every shift, but the guy played a very strong game tonight and I don't know how anyone can argue that. If Staal or DZ did what Girardi did against Kovalchuk tonight, everyone would be humping them. I don't get the hate. I really don't.

Also, Callahan will be the next captain. Book it. Not Dubi (who had a great game as well and could not be knocked off the puck; Jagr-esque), not Gaborik, not Staal. Ryan Callahan will be captain of this team after Drury.

Finally, I loved DZ knocking Kovalchuk down after that scoring chance in the 3rd. It's incredible to see him be so physical and aggressive at such an early age, AS AN OFFENSIVE D-MAN, which is clearly what he is, but he's showing already that he's got all the tools and will to be an absolutely complete D-man that the rest of the league will be drooling over. So happy we drafted this kid and so happy I get to watch his career from the start.
That was one of my favorite plays of the game for sure. I wish we saw that from our guys more often.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:08 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Debbie fans are coming in by the busloads.

So stay cool. At least through the first period.
No they aren't.
Against Toronto, on a Friday, for a first place team, which just made a major trade, they had ONLy 15,000.
Last week it was just 12,000.

If they can't fill up their own rink then how are they going to invade MSG which is sold out nightly? That makes no sense.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:12 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Well, I love beating the Debbies and when I'm watching my team, I always root for them to win.

But when the game is over and I'm thinking about it rationally... *sigh* Here comes another finish where all we do is tread water. At best, 7th-8th seed and bounced in the first round; at worst 9th or 10th in the East. (Slats will probably make a deadline deal just to insure this is the case.) Result? A pick somewhere between 9 and 19 and no shot at Seguin. Mediocrity continues.

Well, at least they beat the Debbies. Did I already say that?

Old
02-07-2010, 12:16 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJoe View Post
No they aren't.
Against Toronto, on a Friday, for a first place team, which just made a major trade, they had ONLy 15,000.
Last week it was just 12,000.

If they can't fill up their own rink then how are they going to invade MSG which is sold out nightly? That makes no sense.
I was there. There were a lot of devil fans. Fortunately, they all went home disappointed.

I don't think the Garden is sold out every night, or I wouldn't be getting emails every week to buy tickets.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:33 AM
17futurecap

Just got in, and that was just a fun game to be at. Those three goals came so fast, just awesome. Hank playing lights out with glove saves all over the place. I think all the Rangers fans had a great time tonight, and loved the Marty chant continuing as we all were exiting the lobby of MSG.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

This team could be really good when they want to play. Why cant this team show up every game?!?

Old
02-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
BIG MIDDLE FINGER to the pedophile Greek. That's you, Geoffrion.
I'm not even sure what the connection is between being Greek and a pedophile, but there's not point rationalizing sheer stupidity.

I'm Greek you mother****er.

MODS: Ban this idiot now, there's no place for attacking nationalities here.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 02-07-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Closed Thread