HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers acquire Ville Leino from Detroit for OK Tollefsen + '11 5th round pick

Old
02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Flyers website has Leino listed as wearing #22.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Any word on when dude will suit up? I'm itching to see him in action.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:55 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yeah it's just hard to know who to take out. Powe and Asham played well today. Maybe Carcillo if Lavi is mad at him, or he is nursing his hand(he was really reluctant to punch Salvador)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:26 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

From the 25 seconds of research I've now done on this guy that I had previously never heard of, I like the trade. It gets rid of OKT and gets us what appears to be a guy with some upside when an injury occurs or someone deserves to be benched. (I love seeing floaters going to the press box for a game but apparently Lavvy doesn't)

After watching the entire team do nothing but aim for Khudobin's chest Sat might I wouldn't mind seeing some moves like his you tube clips indicate he could be capable of. A change of scenery may be just what he needs.

jd2210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, Detroit is one of the worst offensive teams in the league this year (24th).

Last year he had 9 pts in 13 games.
Stating the obvious, like always. why? wtf for?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Stating the obvious, like always. why? wtf for?
Because you wrote:

Quote:
I do not know much about him but if he could not score on high scoring Detroit team last year or this year, what will he do here?
He did score last year...and this year they are decidedly NOT a high scoring team.

Apparently it's not so obvious that a change has occurred in Detroit's scoring fate.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Because you wrote:

He did score last year...and this year they are decidedly NOT a high scoring team.

Apparently it's not so obvious that a change has occurred in Detroit's scoring fate.
This year he had every opportunity and he ****ed it up..Wings were and still are injured, he had his chance to step up. so who cares..

Could be something aor could be nothing.. 5th round pick for a wild card is always a good trade.

I guess you know something we do not.. Please share your opinion about this player.. Not what you’ve read about him..

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-09-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old
02-09-2010, 08:40 AM
flountown

5th round draft picks don't normally net you a Finnish League MVP, so the guy has some potential, and most likely far more potential than that 5th rounder would have netted us in a draft.

As far as scoring on the Red Wings goes, perhaps he is the type of player who needs help in scoring goals. Most skilled players need to be paired with other skilled players for them to be productive. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but those guys are all top flight and potential HOF'ers.

Maybe he hasn't been getting the ice time with the correct players for him to be productive this year.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:50 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
5th round draft picks don't normally net you a Finnish League MVP, so the guy has some potential, and most likely far more potential than that 5th rounder would have netted us in a draft.

As far as scoring on the Red Wings goes, perhaps he is the type of player who needs help in scoring goals. Most skilled players need to be paired with other skilled players for them to be productive. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but those guys are all top flight and potential HOF'ers.

Maybe he hasn't been getting the ice time with the correct players for him to be productive this year.
Leino had plenty of chances to play with quality linemates. He was on the second PP unit until he fell out of favor, he played with Filppula, Cleary, Bertuzzi, etc. and he was shuffled around in an attempt to find some chemistry. For whatever reason, the offensive potential that he showed last season just wasn't there this year.

I'm kind of surprised that Leino hasn't appeared in a game for your team yet. I'm interested to see what he plays like.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
I guess you know something we do not.. Please share your opinion about this player.. Not what you’ve read about him..
Don't know much of anything about him, dude. Was just correcting your categorically false statement that he had failed to score on the "high scoring Red Wings" this year. Last year, when they were a high scoring team, he did put up points when he was in the lineup. If you want to say he didn't produce this year, that's fine, but no one has for Detroit really.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:03 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Leino had plenty of chances to play with quality linemates. He was on the second PP unit until he fell out of favor, he played with Filppula, Cleary, Bertuzzi, etc. and he was shuffled around in an attempt to find some chemistry. For whatever reason, the offensive potential that he showed last season just wasn't there this year.

I'm kind of surprised that Leino hasn't appeared in a game for your team yet. I'm interested to see what he plays like.
Lavi isn't impressed I take it. He said Leino doesn't crack this lineup.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Don't know much of anything about him, dude. Was just correcting your categorically false statement that he had failed to score on the "high scoring Red Wings" this year. Last year, when they were a high scoring team, he did put up points when he was in the lineup. If you want to say he didn't produce this year, that's fine, but no one has for Detroit really.
If Wings were not injured they would be ok and the only guy that really has an off season is Osgood. The fact that Leino could not handle ice time and a little more responsibility this season says a lot. Last year he played 15 something games (I do not even call it "season" 15 games is nothing) and disappeared in playoffs on a SC caliber team. That hardy describes him as a scorer. Does it?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old
02-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
If Wings were not injured they would be ok and the only guy that really has an off season is Osgood. The fact that he could not handle ice time and a little more responsibility this season says a lot. Last year he played 15 something games and disappeared in playoffs on a SC caliber team. That hardy describes him as a scorer. Does it?
It was his first year in NA...am I shocked he wasn't getting 20 minutes a night on a bloated Red Wings roster? He put up 46 pts in 57 games in the AHL, and came up and put up 9 in 13, and got two assists in limited minutes in 7 playoff games. Nothing special there, but nothing that sets off alarm bells.

This year does, but at the same time, as you note, the Red Wings are talent deprived...and if Leino was good enough to not need the help from other players he wouldn't have been available for us to pick him up. At best, he's going to be a complimentary player. If you talk to Red Wing fans, and folks who watch a lot of the West, they like him and think he might be a good pickup for us.

Old
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
No one on the wings was scoring at the start of the year, and once they did start scoring Leino was on the 4th line or a healthy scratch so he wasnt contributing. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are having off years, so is Lidtsrom and rafalski

Give him a few practices to learn the system

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post

He was acquired on saturday. He wasnt going to play against the Wild that night. I thought he may play against NJ last night but maybe he just needs to get settled in and get a few practices in to see what is expected of him from the coaching staff from practices or not.
I will be shocked if he doesnt play in one of the next 3 games

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Lavi isn't impressed I take it. He said Leino doesn't crack this lineup.
That's not what he said. He said he wouldn't change the lineup right now and he wasn't familiar with him.

I know why Holmgren did it, and I know why he likely did not consult the coach before doing it either. It's fine to make a trade like that without consulting him, and just hope the Red Wings don't draft another Henrik Zetterberg with the pick.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The question is... who would he replace?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That's not what he said. He said he wouldn't change the lineup right now and he wasn't familiar with him.

I know why Holmgren did it, and I know why he likely did not consult the coach before doing it either. It's fine to make a trade like that without consulting him, and just hope the Red Wings don't draft another Henrik Zetterberg with the pick.
and if they do, they do. It doesnt mean much. They are one of the better teams at finding those guys. Could we go out and find those type of players doubtfull

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
and if they do, they do. It doesnt mean much. They are one of the better teams at finding those guys. Could we go out and find those type of players doubtfull
This. People need to stop worrying about what other teams do with our assets.

The reason Montreal fans are so up in arms about getting a high price for Price isn't because they want him to be their goaltender for the next decade, it's because they're afraid of what he could do to them on Philadelphia.

Roy/LeClair/Desjardins syndrome?

Regardless, GMs don't worry too hard about other teams when they make trades outside their own division.

GMs make trades to give their team a better chance to win. Leino gives us a better chance than Tollefsen and a 5th. If Detroit can get a Zetterberg out of that pick, good for them.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
CavemanLawyer

If i recall it was that he started playing "competitively" at around... 18 or so? Like in leagues and such. I think he played just basic recreational before that, but yeah he got into the sport way late compared to others.

But yeah, in theory he's been playing hockey for less than 10 years. Which is why I dont understand why everyone here was against the theory of him being a late bloomer. He definitely appears to have skill from what I've seen and read. Eh time will tell. Not like this was some major deal anyway. We gave up OKT for **** sake.

Last edited by GKJ: 02-09-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: QDP
CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 06:25 PM
mirimon

The last few seasons seeing guys like Modry, Vandermeer, Kukkonen, Jones etc. having had a (somewhat) regular spot on the Flyers blueline, I have to say I don't know if there's been one worse than Tollefsen. Having said that, I don't know if I like this trade. When I've seen Leino he's been slow, weak and selfish. Although the chances of that 5th round pick turning into a solid NHL player, we seem to think the team with the least amount of draft picks wins.

Oh well, I hope Leino finds a niche among our forward group, although I highly doubt it.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:18 PM
kicksave27

simple addition by subtraction of OKT

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:55 AM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Not like this was some major deal anyway. We gave up OKT for **** sake.
Haha, the flyers are definitely the losers in this trade. Leino seems to be useless, while OKT could wear a Detroit jersey sooner than you think. He will not play in the minors yet, he's still in Detroit and had talks with their coaching staff and GM. He will head for the Olympics in a couple of days and play at least four games for Norway. The Detroit coaches will take a look at him there, and since they may have to move other defensemen because of cap issues he could be recalled already

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon
I have to say I don't know if there's been one worse than Tollefsen
Of the 18 games for the Flyers he played half of them with a bad knee, so either you're a fool or you simply didn't know that. He's a decent physical player when he's in game shape, even became player of the game once as a flyer with two assists and a fight.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 04:08 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I'm late into the discussion, sorry about that. I've been partying for a couple of days, finally got rid of the flyers.
I noticed you changed your name from The_Wolf to Wolfy during the interim between your last post on the Blue Jackets board and your first post on the Flyers board.

What's your new name going to be? Don't keep us in suspense.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Haha, the flyers are definitely the losers in this trade. Leino seems to be useless, while OKT could wear a Detroit jersey sooner than you think. He will not play in the minors yet, he's still in Detroit and had talks with their coaching staff and GM. He will head for the Olympics in a couple of days and play at least four games for Norway. The Detroit coaches will take a look at him there, and since they may have to move other defensemen because of cap issues he could be recalled already

Of the 18 games for the Flyers he played half of them with a bad knee, so either you're a fool or you simply didn't know that. He's a decent physical player when he's in game shape, even became player of the game once as a flyer with two assists and a fight.
OKT is about 11th in line in Detroit. They have 8 defenseman on the roster, and Doug Janik and Jakub Kindl in front of him in Grand Rapids. OKT also has to clear re-entry waivers because he's on a one-way deal and having to clear waivers on the way down, which means if someone were to claim him, the Red Wings would take half the cap hit, which isn't worth it for a team up against the cap. Janik and Kindl are exempt (unless Janik has a previously negeotiated AHL salary over $105K) OKT has played his last game in the NHL this season.

Last edited by GKJ: 02-10-2010 at 09:24 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote