HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers acquire Ville Leino from Detroit for OK Tollefsen + '11 5th round pick

Old
02-06-2010, 03:00 PM
DickTony

vCash: 500
I see nothing wrong with this move. Leino is a work in progress, OKT was going nowhere. Either Lavi works his ass off and gets him to buy into the system or he moves on. Low risk high reward type move.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
BTW, from the Carter/Briere discussion earlier, Carter has assisted on 8 of Briere's 18 goals, Briere on 11 of Carter's 22.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:20 PM
dedhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
We get knocked out of playoffs early, we will 100% not be set for next year.
Playoffs?....What playoffs? They couldn't even beat the worst team in the NHL and you still think they're going to the playoffs?

Hope springs eternal.

What also kills me here is this thread is about a forth string forward (at best), replacing an AHL defenseman.....while the NJ Devils are preparing to fit Kovalchuk into their line-up.

The Philadelphia Flyers organization is frustrating the hell out of me! When are the Flyers gonna get a primo forward??

dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
The Philadelphia Flyers organization is frustrating the hell out of me! When are the Flyers gonna get a primo forward??
Like Richards, Carter, Gagne, Briere, vanRiemsdyk, and Giroux?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:21 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
I see nothing wrong with this move. Leino is a work in progress, OKT was going nowhere. Either Lavi works his ass off and gets him to buy into the system or he moves on. Low risk high reward type move.
work in progress?

he's like 26 years old

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Playoffs?....What playoffs? They couldn't even beat the worst team in the NHL and you still think they're going to the playoffs?
If I cared, this would be an awesome post to bookmark for later reference.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
work in progress?

he's like 26 years old
Players dont bloom late?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:26 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Players dont bloom late?
sure they do

but what are the chances that one of those late bloomers is a Flyer?

all I'm saying is not to be putting a lot of stock into this guy, because I can't see him doing much

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I'm sure I'm late to the party of Wings fans coming here... but Leino has absolutely has potential. He's still a rookie. Give him another year in North America and I see a productive third liner in him.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Players dont bloom late?
I think the more important point is that Detroit is 26th in scoring this year (they've lost a lot of bodies), and Leino is likely at best a complementary scorer at the NHL level. Leino's lack of offensive output this year is a team-wide problem for Detroit, so he may do well with a change of scenery to a more offensive team.

He's produced at every level he's played at to this point.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think everyone needs to calm down about the whole season. The Flyers are not playing to their potential, and yet they are still in playoff position and have nowhere to go but up. They should make a move to improve themselves with the recent trades made by Devils and Rangers, but even if they don't, you can't write this season off just yet. Have a little faith. No one expected the Canes to make the ECF last season and they did. No one expected the Flyers to so the year before. No one expected the Oilers to make the Cup finals or the Lightning to win it a few years ago. Flyers beat the Penguins. Flyers beat the Devils. Flyers beat the Caps. It is not impossible (See: Flyers vs. Oilers from Thursday night). The Flyers are a strong team from top to bottom. They don't have Ovechkin. They don't have Crosby. They don't have Kovalchuk. But from top to bottom they can match up with any team. I'm not saying that they are the favorite to win it all, or even that they will make it. But at this point, there is no reason to say **** it, season's over. Have a little faith people.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Oh my God, this is too good.

OKT gets dealt away (remember, he was in our long-term plans), and he's going to immediately be put on waivers and dropped to the AHL once he gets to Detroit?

Where's Wolfy?
This was my immediate thought as well.

Hope the Grand Rapids message board enjoys him (if they even have one).

Nothing wrong with this trade. 5th round pick would amount to nothing anyway.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Nowhere to go but up?

They've got plenty of places to fall.

Old
02-06-2010, 03:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.js...d=771&id=59569

Therien seems to approve of Leino. The words "2nd liner" were thrown around.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.js...d=771&id=59569

Therien seems to approve of Leino. The words "2nd liner" were thrown around.
Therien works for the Flyers, what's he supposed to say?

Old
02-06-2010, 03:46 PM
dedhed

Sorry guys.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Like Richards, Carter, Gagne, Briere, vanRiemsdyk, and Giroux?
These forwards are NOT primo! How many of them are on the top 20 goal scorers? You just love them because they wear Orange & Black. The Flyers fall in love with their players (as do their fans). Briere played his best hockey with Buffalo, and Gagne has seen better days as well. Richards is a decent player, but I don't put him in the same caliber as the top forwards in the league. Carter is streaky at best, and JVR/Giroux could be in the top in a few years but not at present.

Long term deals with players with NTC's have been crippling the Flyers for years. (How many years were they paying off that mistake named Rathje?).

I want to see them deal off what they consider to be a great player FOR a legitimate SUPERSTAR!

Old
02-06-2010, 03:48 PM
supa scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think everyone needs to calm down about the whole season. The Flyers are not playing to their potential, and yet they are still in playoff position and have nowhere to go but up. They should make a move to improve themselves with the recent trades made by Devils and Rangers, but even if they don't, you can't write this season off just yet. Have a little faith. No one expected the Canes to make the ECF last season and they did. No one expected the Flyers to so the year before. No one expected the Oilers to make the Cup finals or the Lightning to win it a few years ago. Flyers beat the Penguins. Flyers beat the Devils. Flyers beat the Caps. It is not impossible (See: Flyers vs. Oilers from Thursday night). The Flyers are a strong team from top to bottom. They don't have Ovechkin. They don't have Crosby. They don't have Kovalchuk. But from top to bottom they can match up with any team. I'm not saying that they are the favorite to win it all, or even that they will make it. But at this point, there is no reason to say **** it, season's over. Have a little faith people.
Amen. No reason to flip out. Even if Leino is a total flop, we gave up OKT and a 5th. Not to mention the deadline is still nearly a month away.

Reading the Facebook post of this trade made me realize how little faith people have in the Flyers.... or how little knowledge they have about how things work in the NHL.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
These forwards are NOT primo! How many of them are on the top 20 goal scorers? You just love them because they wear Orange & Black. The Flyers fall in love with their players (as do their fans). Briere played his best hockey with Buffalo, and Gagne has seen better days as well. Richards is a decent player, but I don't put him in the same caliber as the top forwards in the league. Carter is streaky at best, and JVR/Giroux could be in the top in a few years but not at present.

Long term deals with players with NTC's have been crippling the Flyers for years. (How many years were they paying off that mistake named Rathje?).

I want to see them deal off what they consider to be a great player FOR a legitimate SUPERSTAR!
Well the flyers traded for some guy named Chris Pronger. He's not a superstar or anything. They traded Lupul and a defenseman that Homer was very high on in Sbisa. So they do trade for superstars. You're getting greedy when you want them to trade for Kovalchuk or someone like him when they already made one of those trades this year. How often does a team make two deals of that magnitude in this close of a time period.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:00 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Well the flyers traded for some guy named Chris Pronger. He's not a superstar or anything. They traded Lupul and a defenseman that Homer was very high on in Sbisa. So they do trade for superstars. You're getting greedy when you want them to trade for Kovalchuk or someone like him when they already made one of those trades this year. How often does a team make two deals of that magnitude in this close of a time period.
I think people forget that Pronger is a superstar. That was a huge trade when it happened and it was pretty much the story of the draft. If that happened at the deadline most people would consider the team to be done dealing.

02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
lancer247

Quote:

Hope springs eternal.

What also kills me here is this thread is about a forth string forward (at best), replacing an AHL defenseman.....while the NJ Devils are preparing to fit Kovalchuk into their line-up.

The way the d and goaltending has played if they can get Gagne and Hartnell to start finding the back of the net they would be the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference or atleast they can compete with any team in the top 4.

The season as a whole they are a .500 team but since December they have been pretty solid. While I would like to see them add a PF I don't think they are that far off.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:10 PM
dedhed

I look at the league and the Flyers chances like this. I don't pay attention to the divisions, I look at the conferences. Do the Flyers have any players at the top of their game within NHL ranking? Their are no Flyers in the top 20 goal scorers, yet within their conference they must face the elite of the entire hockey world. Ovechkin-Crosby-Malkin-Kovalchuk are just a small handful the Flyers must better in order to face teams out West like San Jose-Chicago-Detriot-or Colorado.

The Flyers organization has never put a top priority on goaltending in the past 20 years. Sure, Hextall was decent, but he's the last one who could've won the trophy. They'd rather acquire back-up goalies from other organizations than score a huge stopper who can win a series or two on his own.
How many goalies have the Flyers employed during the Brodeur era in NJ?
I'm not saying the Flyers could or should acquire a guy like Brodeur, but wouldn't it be comforting if the organization showed a better effort to acquire a better goalie than they have? I mean this year we've had to watch Emery and Boucher? That's who they put their collective faith in to advance them to the Cup? C'mon Holmer!

The forward troubles also never cease. We love guys like Richards because he's emotional when he plays his best hockey. When he not emotional he's invisible! Yet we as fans can't say anything against them or we're branded as an idiot because we don't agree. I for one would use Richards in a trade for a player with more talent and consistency.

I know my opinions are not shared by many here, but I'm just so sick of seeing this organization try and make it to the playoffs on chewing gum and bailing wire.

I want the Flyers to be at the top of the league, but they aren't nor will they with this current roster.

Old
02-06-2010, 04:15 PM
lancer247

Quote:

The Canadian Olympic team might disagree and they weren't all O&B fans last time I checked. Richards made the team and Ggane was a favorite this summer before having issues that required surgery. They aren't Crosby, Malkin or AO but they are highly skilled players

Old
02-06-2010, 04:20 PM
dedhed

Pronger is good, I will agree

However he is an older player now, and many teams have found a way to beat him. His old tricks aren't working as well as they used to.

Yes, Holmer traded Lupul and Sbisa for Chris, and I suppose I am getting greedy here, but at the same token haven't they been in trouble on the defensive side this year? Why?

Goaltending.

The Flyers need great defenders because they continue to employ back-up goalies to be their starters.

I'm also very glad to see OKT depart! He sucked!!

Old
02-06-2010, 04:21 PM
lancer247

Quote:
I look at the league and the Flyers chances like this. I don't pay attention to the divisions, I look at the conferences. Do the Flyers have any players at the top of their game within NHL ranking? Their are no Flyers in the top 20 goal scorers, yet within their conference they must face the elite of the entire hockey world. Ovechkin-Crosby-Malkin-Kovalchuk are just a small handful the Flyers must better in order to face teams out West like San Jose-Chicago-Detriot-or Colorado.

The Flyers organization has never put a top priority on goaltending in the past 20 years. Sure, Hextall was decent, but he's the last one who could've won the trophy. They'd rather acquire back-up goalies from other organizations than score a huge stopper who can win a series or two on his own.
How many goalies have the Flyers employed during the Brodeur era in NJ?
I'm not saying the Flyers could or should acquire a guy like Brodeur, but wouldn't it be comforting if the organization showed a better effort to acquire a better goalie than they have? I mean this year we've had to watch Emery and Boucher? That's who they put their collective faith in to advance them to the Cup? C'mon Holmer!

The forward troubles also never cease. We love guys like Richards because he's emotional when he plays his best hockey. When he not emotional he's invisible! Yet we as fans can't say anything against them or we're branded as an idiot because we don't agree. I for one would use Richards in a trade for a player with more talent and consistency.

I know my opinions are not shared by many here, but I'm just so sick of seeing this organization try and make it to the playoffs on chewing gum and bailing wire.

I want the Flyers to be at the top of the league, but they aren't nor will they with this current roster.
How many cups have the Devils won with no players inthe top 20 while the Flyers had Lindros and LeClaire? This team had a month long funk but they have 2-3 players capable of being in he top 20.

Your question about Broduer can be asked of every team in the league. Broduer is an anamaly (sp).

I am sure most Flyer's fans don't think they are the team to beat but they are in better shape then you give them credit for.

Old
02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Snevik

Quote:

last year, carter was 12th in the league in scoring. richards was 17th. gagne fell a little bit outside your standards...26th.

i'll agree with the contract problem, but to say these guys aren't premier/primo(?) players is a bit reactionary. it's a bad year; i don't mind having a streaky team if they can get hot in the playoffs. and, to be honest, i thought we played well the past two postseasons.

Snevik is offline   Reply With Quote