HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Panthers should trade Vokoun

Old
02-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Erick*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Last couple years? Did you just become a Panthers fan after the lockout?

We haven't made the playoffs in what..10 years.
I said FALLEN SHORT the last couple of years, Einstein. For awhile there, we just flat out sucked, so I didn't include those years. Didn't think you were, either.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I said FALLEN SHORT the last couple of years, Einstein. For awhile there, we just flat out sucked, so I didn't include those years. Didn't think you were, either.
Well, then, that makes us better.

Not making the playoffs is not making the playoffs as far as I'm concerned.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
That doesn't mean we'd get an equal return.

Trading Vokoun doesn't just mean giving up on the year, it means giving up on the next 2 or 3 years (at least), as well. For a franchise that hasn't made the playoffs in a decade.

It's amazing this is even being brought up. And asking Washington fans to see if they'd be interested makes it even funnier.

This is also funny because despite you saying the team has no chance, just a day or two ago, you were the same guy who brought up the idea of trying to get J.P. Dumont (which is clearly a trade making us a buyer at the deadline, not a seller). Make up your mind.
You seem to miss my point. I'm looking to improve the team long term by taking a step back in the short term. Acquiring a player like dumont who is signed longterm isn't mutually exclusive from trading Vokoun. My main point which you seem to not want to acknowledge is that we once again find ourselves in the position of having our best player under contract for only one more year while being on the outside of the top 8. You seem to just want to maintain the status quo of this franchise by holding on to him despite being shown what happens when this organization waits to trade players.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Panthers were 5th in the Conference in scoring not to long ago. We lost our leading scorer and were minus Booth. The team went cold, they need a shakeup, but not in goal right now.

02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Chad29Johnson

By the way, Luongo looks pretty good in a Canucks jersey Bertuzzi worked out well for you, Alex Auld is looking decent as a star and Bryan Allen is all you have left to show for one of the worst deals I have have ever seen. That is why you don't trade a top 5 goalie, you give him the money and work around his contract.

Chad29Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad29Johnson View Post
By the way, Luongo looks pretty good in a Canucks jersey Bertuzzi worked out well for you, Alex Auld is looking decent as a star and Bryan Allen is all you have left to show for one of the worst deals I have have ever seen. That is why you don't trade a top 5 goalie, you give him the money and work around his contract.
kthanks!

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Apparently, you don't know the details surrounding Luongo and the Panthers. After the Panthers agreed on a deal, Luongo's agent came up with such ridiculous demands as the Panthers hiring a goalie coach who was under contract with another team, etc. That's when management decided to trade Louie.

Louie made it nearly impossible for management to keep him, it was the actual trade that was the problem, not Luongo being traded. Also, Luongo was an unsigned RFA, nothing was stopping him from not signing in Vancouver. Also, see the Kovalchuk, Thornton, Heatley, Hossa, and other top player trades and their return. They're pretty similar.

Auld was terrible for most of the season with the Panthers, we got Vokoun and had Anderson, not sure how that swap is an issue. We moved Bertuzzi, who was injured at the time btw, for 2 picks and Matthias. It was cleaned up well enough.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
You seem to miss my point. I'm looking to improve the team long term by taking a step back in the short term. Acquiring a player like dumont who is signed longterm isn't mutually exclusive from trading Vokoun. My main point which you seem to not want to acknowledge is that we once again find ourselves in the position of having our best player under contract for only one more year while being on the outside of the top 8. You seem to just want to maintain the status quo of this franchise by holding on to him despite being shown what happens when this organization waits to trade players.
Yes, well here's my point.
Vokoun's value isn't as high as you think it is. He's more valuable to this team than any other team. We're not going to get as much as you think for a goalie who's going to make over 6M next year, regardless of how good he is. He'll also be 34, which hurts his trade value, once again.

If this team trades Vokoun, they will not only tank the rest of the year, but next year without him would suck too...and perhaps the couple of years after next, as well (of course some expect Markstrom to be the second coming of Jesus Christ, but what will likely happen is that Markstrom is human, and he'll take time to develop like most young players...especially goalies).

You want to get great value for one of our goalies? Trade Markstrom...we'll get that star forward much easier trading him. Then again, this brings us to RoadDogg's point, which most seem to disagree with, and I don't want to spend time debating, again.

If it were up to me, we'd keep both Vokoun and Markstrom because realistically, this is a team that relies heavily on goaltending, and that doesn't just change, overnight. Stick to the plan. The Panthers rarely stick to a plan. They become impatient.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:58 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Screw it. Vokoun deserves a Cup. Trade him and Salak (Czech goalie prospect, stands to gain a lot learning from Vokoun) to anyone. Get picks, maybe a first, don't care. He just deserves better.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:00 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Screw it. Vokoun deserves a Cup. Trade him and Salak (Czech goalie prospect, stands to gain a lot learning from Vokoun) to anyone. Get picks, maybe a first, don't care. He just deserves better.
why salak too?

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:08 PM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandKristian View Post
why salak too?
Too perfect to break them up. Hell, the team could hire Hasek as a coach (when he retires) and be set in goal for a decade.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Chad29Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Apparently, you don't know the details surrounding Luongo and the Panthers. After the Panthers agreed on a deal, Luongo's agent came up with such ridiculous demands as the Panthers hiring a goalie coach who was under contract with another team, etc. That's when management decided to trade Louie.

Louie made it nearly impossible for management to keep him, it was the actual trade that was the problem, not Luongo being traded. Also, Luongo was an unsigned RFA, nothing was stopping him from not signing in Vancouver. Also, see the Kovalchuk, Thornton, Heatley, Hossa, and other top player trades and their return. They're pretty similar.

Auld was terrible for most of the season with the Panthers, we got Vokoun and had Anderson, not sure how that swap is an issue. We moved Bertuzzi, who was injured at the time btw, for 2 picks and Matthias. It was cleaned up well enough.

Vokoun isnt asking any ridiculous details, You missed my entire point.

Vokoun is worth more than the panthers can get for him. Trading a top 5 goalie is not worth it.

Chad29Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:06 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Vokoun isnt asking any ridiculous details, You missed my entire point.

Vokoun is worth more than the panthers can get for him. Trading a top 5 goalie is not worth it.
But he deserves to be traded. He'll be past his prime by the time the team can do anything in the playoffs. He'll never win a Cup here and the man deserves one.

Old
02-07-2010, 03:50 AM
rattlestar

I agree with RoadDoggFL... poor guy had to play for Nashville before this stint

Im a stars fan and ill take vokoun!

rattlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:35 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Yea because Canucks has all those cups to... wai.. what?

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:21 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
I'm not a proponent of trading Vokoun, but it's beyond comical how the Panthers organization continues to waste opportunities while having considerable talent between the pipes for the past 10 years.

TVo has put together an impressive run of games lately, and has little to show for it. It's almost as if the skaters eventually become ingrained in the notion that they don't have to work as hard as their opponents.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:26 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

I still don't get that logic.

Trade Vokoun because he has good value.. Maybe Carolina should trade Ward? Maybe Phoenix should trade Bryzgalov? Or Rangers trade Lundqvist? Buffalo trade Miller because value?

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
I still don't get that logic.

Trade Vokoun because he has good value.. Maybe Carolina should trade Ward? Maybe Phoenix should trade Bryzgalov? Or Rangers trade Lundqvist? Buffalo trade Miller because value?
Ward is younger and cheaper, if I remember correctly.

Phoenix is tearing it up, no need to do anything.

Lundqvist is too good.

Buffalo is in the playoffs currently.

Old
02-07-2010, 06:56 AM
mattihp

vCash: 256
Don't worry, he will be traded. Panthers don't like to have talent hanging around helping the team.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 08:23 AM
johnsic

Varlamov and Poti for Ballard and Vokoun.

johnsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsic View Post
Varlamov and Poti for Ballard and Vokoun.

Old
02-07-2010, 10:24 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Ward is younger and cheaper, if I remember correctly.

Phoenix is tearing it up, no need to do anything.

Lundqvist is too good.

Buffalo is in the playoffs currently.
Compared to Vokoun? I'd say the issue is that the Rangers are an actual playoff team with an offensive weapon or two. Lundqvist puts them over the threshold to make them a playoff team while Vokoun puts us over the threshold to make the Panthers a team that just misses the playoffs.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:15 PM
FlaPanthers7

While I appreciate the logic that you build out from goal, the Panthers are and have been perpetually rebuilding. Vokoun has 1 year left and is 33, therefore he will not be here when this team may (or may not) have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs. We just lost at home to Calgary via a shutout, who was on the 2nd game of a road trip, and then lost in Atlanta where the Thrashers barely even made the game due to being stuck in Washington the night before. We are not a playoff team this year and I doubt for next year too considering we are a team that needs multiple pieces to fill in the flaws.

Vokoun couldn't lead this team to the playoffs now for 2 years with outstanding play b/c he can't play forward or defense too unfortunately. Luongo = no playoffs either. That should say something about this organization. I am all for trading Vokoun for those pieces that will help this team in the future because we sure as heck can't win now with his lights-out play. Vokoun does, in fact deserve better and was clearly pissed off after the Calgary game on home ice. He has to be so frustrated b/c this team is averaging 1 goal a game right now.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Pierre LeBrun also thinks the Panthers will not move Vokoun no matter where they are in the standings at the deadline, but will wait for the draft to re-assess. That's the smart move anyway, you will get more for him at the draft. What would some teams offer at the draft for Vokoun, if the Panthers miss the playoffs and try to trade him then? I think the Panthers would be looking to take very little salary back unless it's a good player coming back in return, no salary dumps, and also try to pick up an additional 1st round pick.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._extend_emery/

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:34 PM
jb**

Carter, coburn/carle, + emery (not sure what plus would be to be honest) for

vokoun, weiss/horton

something around that package

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote