HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cam Ward's injury significantly worse than thought

Old
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Cam Ward's injury significantly worse than thought

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/story/6976787/

That is not what you want to hear before he plays even his first game under his new contract. Bad backs are the types of things that can completely end careers... Praying this is nothing like that...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:30 PM
geehaad

There are 25 games left in the year, and let's say Cam Ward does not play in any of them. The probability that we get to see Peters start a game just shot up to 5%.

EDIT: Well waddaya know...Peters is tonight's starter.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:37 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

I don't care for Wardo contract. I care for Cam.

I just don't want to see rushing him. Let's give him rest, don't play another game this season. He needs rest really.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
I don't care for Wardo contract. I care for Cam.

I just don't want to see rushing him. Let's give him rest, don't play another game this season. He needs rest really.
I agree... I'm just saying we have 6 years left in a contract now... It was just information added... but I agree, no way should he play again this year, even if he feels pretty good

Old
02-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

The next Rick DiPietro?

02-06-2010, 04:51 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
The next Rick DiPietro?
I believe that statement deserves one of these:

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I hope so.

I can't lie, though, I'm more worried about this than I have been about anything with this franchise in years. I'm not trying to be doom and gloom or anything, because we know very little, but back injuries are historically a terrible thing, especially for goaltenders, and often times are very long term complications (sometimes for life). I hope that this is something that he can fully recover from.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:25 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
The next Rick DiPietro?
or Kari Lehtonen

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:32 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Stop jinx, please.

Cam has a problem but i believe he will be fine. Just don't rush him. He deserves and needs this rest. I don't even know what we bring back that fast after first injury this season but he was great in last few weeks.

Without a Cam, we are on Oilers level. With Cam, we are on Bruins level.
You mean what mean this - first, we are coming.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I suppose I don't see the cause for alarm that most people are seeing here. Yes, it's likely he has a very real back problem but all that means to me is that he'll have to miss some time while the best doctors in the world help fix him. I know back problems can linger, I have had a few myself, but the doom and gloom is a bit much until we know anything about the severity of the injury. He'll be good to go, guys. We're talking about one of the most durable goaltenders in the league the past few years.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I wouldn't be worried if it weren't the third time in the last year this has come up. In the playoffs against Pittsburgh last year, in training camp this season, and then now.

I guess I'll just try to stop thinking about it until more is known.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I simply hope this underscores the fact that regardless of how Cam says he feels, starting 15 games in a row in the regular season is a ridiculous proposition for any goaltender and throwing a backup into the mix, regardless of how much you need Cam at the time, is never a bad idea.

The good news is that we have two prospects in Peters and Murphy who have the potential to help bear the brunt of the load in the coming years. We'll find out how ready they are in the coming weeks.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 06:30 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

It's time to shut him down for the season. At this point there is absolutely no reason at all to jeopardize his and our future.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Wolfpuck
McSavior

I agree with the above sentiments. With the season lost, the Canes should just rotate Legace and Peters. Ward needs time to rest and recover.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I don't think it'll be up to them. Somehow, I don't see Ward being AOK with that, especially if it's a short term injury.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:43 PM
bleedgreen

i hope the real lesson is how stupid it is to play any goalie so many games in a row. we have legace for christs sake. i put this injury on the coaching staff. of course he'll play every game of the season if they let him. its common sense to give him a rest every 5 games at least. what have we been playing for? weve been in the bottom three since the first month.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Speedy Russian

edit:wrong topic

Speedy Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:19 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i hope the real lesson is how stupid it is to play any goalie so many games in a row. we have legace for christs sake. i put this injury on the coaching staff. of course he'll play every game of the season if they let him. its common sense to give him a rest every 5 games at least. what have we been playing for? weve been in the bottom three since the first month.
If I were a betting man I'd venture that Cam's injury isn't all that serious. At least not to the point where it would require surgery. To be honest I think that all he probably needs to do is work with a chiropractor this offseason and he'll be fine.

But you are dead on in that we NEED to give Ward more of a rest. I don't care how hot the guy is, if it's not during the playoffs the absolute most he should be playing is 8 or 9 games in a row. And the backup should probably be getting anywhere from 15 to 20 starts a season. There is absolutely no reason to run the guy this long when we're not in playoff position.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 163
Absolutely agree with those who say Ward should play 5-9 games at the most, then give a game to the No. 2. Legace is more than capable of playing every 5-9 games and if Peters' performance tonight was anything to keep in mind, he may be that guy aswell as soon as next season. Absolutely no need to run your goaltender into the ground whether you're in our position, being bottom dwellers, or top 3 in the Conference. Every goaltender needs a rest. I really don't get why Cam played to much after being off so long, it's just plain stupid. Maybe this can raise some eyebrows and knock some sense into the coaching staff.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:39 AM
caniac247

Hopefully its nothing too serious. Forslund sounded really concerned when talking about him during the postgame last night. I think the team needs to shut him down for the rest of the season. No need to have a Dipi on our hands. Let him use this time to get treatment/fix whatever it is and get healthy. We aren't making the playoffs, there's no point rushing anything only for him to get hurt even more and then be out for a full year. This year is done, shut him down, cause we'll need him next year.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:54 AM
StormCast

Pure speculation on my part, but it sounds like a disc problem, possibly a bulging or herniated disc if it isn't related to the prior issues. They can really linger if they are herniated like it has with Lehtonen, and requires surgery, which is why I think there's all the talk about it being significantly worse than first thought.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Hopefully its nothing too serious. Forslund sounded really concerned when talking about him during the postgame last night. I think the team needs to shut him down for the rest of the season. No need to have a Dipi on our hands. Let him use this time to get treatment/fix whatever it is and get healthy. We aren't making the playoffs, there's no point rushing anything only for him to get hurt even more and then be out for a full year. This year is done, shut him down, cause we'll need him next year.
Yeah, reading between the lines of the Peters postgame interview it sure sounded like both of them saw this as a bigger deal than I thought it was. Peters comments about the text he got from Cam could be overinterpreted, but he made it sound like Cam is going through a tough time.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Stormrider451

I agree that the Cane's overwork Ward.. I understand that Ward is a star goaltender and all. But, the guy is not a robot. They need to give him more rest from time to time even if he continues to perform great game after game. I also understand the whole "keep him out for the rest of the year idea". But he will have at least 3 weeks of rest (considering he will likely wont play this week + the 2 of the Olympics) which could be enough for him to come back. I am not suggesting the Canes to rush him back, because I understand there is nothing he needs to be rushed for. But, the guy is a player and great winner, and he needs to play if he is healthy. If a few weeks is all he needs, by all means, bring him back. You could say his back tightening up happened at a "right" moment, where there are 2 free weeks right around the corner for him to rest up.

Stormrider451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

A bad long term injury to Cam could really hamper this franchise's future.

Old
02-08-2010, 12:28 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Im not sure i agree with the fact that Cam has been overworked. He has never broken the 70 game mark. And while he is always in or near the top 10 in starts you can easily see that this is common place around the league with teams who have a legit #1 and dont use a tandem. So i would say in general he isnt overworked by NHL standards...though i can understand people taking issue with the decisions on when to rest Cam. Especially under Maurice, and somewhat under Lavi, they have chose to rest Cam in games with off days prior and after with the clear intention of giving him 4 and 5 days of rest at a time. this of course means they have played him in both ends of back to backs alot, though not as much as Brodeur and some of the other clear cut #1s.

All this said, i dont think he has any business breaking 50 games this season(this would give him 9 more starts if healthy)

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote