Cogsbreakaway

vCash: 500
Is Despres out indefinitely?

Cogsbreakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 07:36 PM
duckbrave15

vCash: 50
Highly doubt the Avs would take Stoners contact.

duckbrave15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 07:40 PM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogsbreakaway View Post
Is Despres out indefinitely?
Yes and probably never stepping foot on NHL ice again. It's a real shame for everyone involved but at least he got a good contract to retire on

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 09:25 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

Is it possible bob will realize bieksa is awful and look to upgrade with another rhd?

I think the complexion of the D would change alot if he's further minimized.

Hopefully Thompson can return and be effective. He and Cram would eliminate shaw or boll from the lineup.

Murray has work cut out it. Ducks are second tier contenders and in my estimation need to make 2 moves to really be in the game and that isn't even considering goaltending

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 09:35 PM
dracom

It would be hard to upgrade from Bieksa with Bieksa and his contract still on the team. And he's not going anywhere.

I just don't see how we make any substantial trades unless cap dumps are going back and the only that can really go is Stoner (and I rather not trade him tbh).

dracom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Dirk316

Trading Stoner would be completely idiotic. Is anyone else seeing how warn down Manson is getting being the only physical crease clearing dman? Stoner is not only effective but he is by far the toughest and most physical. Probably the best hitter as well

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Cogsbreakaway

Perhaps Bieksa is really respected and loved by the teammates, shows good leadership etc. - so the coaches disregard his on-ice "issues" and deem his other qualities as really important.

No idea. Right now, Anaheim is stuck with him. Can't trade, can't waive and can't buy out.

For a budget team, 4 mill in the pressbox is a huge problem. And to dave face of the people who decided to give hom that contract, I'd bet he will never be a healthy scratch.

Will be a relief when his contract is off the books.

And about Despres, that's "de(s)pressing"... He looked phenomenal before the concussions.

Old
01-11-2017, 11:48 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

vCash: 200
Quote:
Perhaps Bieksa is really respected and loved by the teammates, shows good leadership etc. - so the coaches disregard his on-ice "issues" and deem his other qualities as really important.

No idea. Right now, Anaheim is stuck with him. Can't trade, can't waive and can't buy out.

For a budget team, 4 mill in the pressbox is a huge problem. And to dave face of the people who decided to give hom that contract, I'd bet he will never be a healthy scratch.

Will be a relief when his contract is off the books.

And about Despres, that's "de(s)pressing"... He looked phenomenal before the concussions.
I can't buy into your line of thinking here. Bieksa is costing us $4M regardless of being dressed or not. If we staple him to a seat in the pressbox, he costs us $4M and that's it. If we dress him, he costs $4M plus X amount of mistakes per game. He hurts us more on the ice than he would as a scratch and that's without any doubt.

There are only two reasons why Bieksa would still be continuing to play every night.

A) Management doesn't see him as being as detrimental on the ice as we do.

B) They're trying to keep Bieksa happy so that he stays bought into being an org guy and does the right thing for the team in regards to waiving for expansion. Their method of getting him to waive for the purpose of expansion is making him think he gets to be a part of a contending team in Anaheim for the duration of his contract.

Maybe it's a combination of both, but I'd lean towards B. We can't park Bieksa in the stands all season and then expect him to play ball when June rolls around, unfortunate as that may be.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 11:57 PM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

We don't need him to play ball. Bob needs to just buy him out, period. Don't even ask him to waive.

Johnny Caravella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:04 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Caravella View Post
We don't need him to play ball. Bob needs to just buy him out, period. Don't even ask him to waive.
As long as we're certain to have that option available, I'm all for it. But whenever this topic comes up, there are fans who point out that there's a slim chance the season won't end in time for a buyout window to open (under the language of the rules) before expansion lists are due.

In that event, we would need Bieksa to play ball. I really don't know what the odds are of that happening, and really wish the league would provide clarity on the issue.

Old
01-12-2017, 12:12 AM
Cogsbreakaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I can't buy into your line of thinking here. Bieksa is costing us $4M regardless of being dressed or not. If we staple him to a seat in the pressbox, he costs us $4M and that's it. If we dress him, he costs $4M plus X amount of mistakes per game. He hurts us more on the ice than he would as a scratch and that's without any doubt.

There are only two reasons why Bieksa would still be continuing to play every night.

A) Management doesn't see him as being as detrimental on the ice as we do.

B) They're trying to keep Bieksa happy so that he stays bought into being an org guy and does the right thing for the team in regards to waiving for expansion. Their method of getting him to waive for the purpose of expansion is making him think he gets to be a part of a contending team in Anaheim for the duration of his contract.

Maybe it's a combination of both, but I'd lean towards B. We can't park Bieksa in the stands all season and then expect him to play ball when June rolls around, unfortunate as that may be.

What I meant was paying someone 4 mill, who isn't good enough to make the team, is problem for any team, an even bigger one for a budget team.

Old
01-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

Quote:
As long as we're certain to have that option available, I'm all for it. But whenever this topic comes up, there are fans who point out that there's a slim chance the season won't end in time for a buyout window to open (under the language of the rules) before expansion lists are due.

In that event, we would need Bieksa to play ball. I really don't know what the odds are of that happening, and really wish the league would provide clarity on the issue.
I did see that brought up a while back but like you, never saw an official resolution. I would hope that it wouldn't become a last minute issue. It wouldn't be fair to anybody to spend the whole year planning under a given set of rules/guidelines, and then make a big change like that days before the draft.

Johnny Caravella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:31 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
What I meant was paying someone 4 mill, who isn't good enough to make the team, is problem for any team, an even bigger one for a budget team.
Fair enough. At least for this year, it appears ownership was willing to spend to the cap. Hopefully that is a future trend and not just something that was forced by the salary crunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Caravella View Post
I did see that brought up a while back but like you, never saw an official resolution. I would hope that it wouldn't become a last minute issue. It wouldn't be fair to anybody to spend the whole year planning under a given set of rules/guidelines, and then make a big change like that days before the draft.
Yeah teams shouldn't have to go into a trade deadline without knowing whether a given player will be eligible for a buyout 3+ months later.

I believe the confusion in the language of the rule was that the buyout period starts either June 15th OR 48 hours after the final game of the Cup final is completed. The evening of June 15th is the final day a game 7 could be played in the finals this year, and expansion protection lists are due slightly less than 48 hours later on the 17th (we're literally talking a difference of a few hours).

One would hope the league could remove this small gray area, and simply announce that teams will have a chance to buy players out before submitting their expansion list regardless of how late the season goes.

Old
01-12-2017, 01:29 AM
OCSportsfan

Bieksa is not going anywhere this year. Take out the money they pay him in your opinion and he is good enough to play with Stoner on the third pair on a championship team. He will not be the reason the Ducks dont make it. The playoffs are about the stars, just look at the third pairing defense the Blackhawks have every year.

Personally I would rather trade Vatanen and get an asset back rather than just get cap relief. Having Cap space does not guarantee the Ducks will fill it with an impact player. Trading Vatanen will return a good player.

BTW I absolutely think Bieksa will wave his NTC because there is a chance he will not get taken with Vermette being available. He knows the Ducks could buy him out.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 02:29 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Someone brought up that Vatanen to Tampa for Palat + veteran D idea the other day. That's about the only framework in which I could see us moving Vatanen mid season, but it's not the worst idea, so long as the vet D is a stop gap top 4 guy at a rental price.

Vatanen (+) for...

Palat + Coburn
Miller + Klein

Old
01-12-2017, 04:40 AM
nilssont

Quote:
Someone brought up that Vatanen to Tampa for Palat + veteran D idea the other day. That's about the only framework in which I could see us moving Vatanen mid season, but it's not the worst idea, so long as the vet D is a stop gap top 4 guy at a rental price.

Vatanen (+) for...

Palat + Coburn
Miller + Klein
Isnt Palat due for a raise next season? I think that Miller + Klein is a better fit, or Miller straight up.

nilssont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 10:30 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssont View Post
Isnt Palat due for a raise next season? I think that Miller + Klein is a better fit, or Miller straight up.
Yeah being an RFA makes Palat less attractive from our stand point for sure.

Old
01-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Cogsbreakaway

At this point, what would Perry's value be on the transfer market?

Old
01-12-2017, 04:12 PM
dracom

Quote:
With his age, NMC, and contract size, and general play this season, it's not a whole lot. Not enough worth trading him for.

dracom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Ducks in a row
Go Ducks Quack Quack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracom View Post
With his age, NMC, and contract size, and general play this season, it's not a whole lot. Not enough worth trading him for.
Worse then what Kessel got for Maple Leafs and we would have to retain some on Perry for us to reach that without retention it would be a good deal even worse.

Ducks in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Carelton CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
Is it possible bob will realize bieksa is awful and look to upgrade with another rhd?

I think the complexion of the D would change alot if he's further minimized.

Hopefully Thompson can return and be effective. He and Cram would eliminate shaw or boll from the lineup.

Murray has work cut out it. Ducks are second tier contenders and in my estimation need to make 2 moves to really be in the game and that isn't even considering goaltending
It will probably take Thompson a couple of weeks to adjust to real hockey after he gets cleared which looks like the 1st week of February. The 4th line at the point should be Crammer, Thompson and Wagner. This would cover the physical play and actually make them a threat to pop one in now and then.

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 06:09 PM
duckbrave15

vCash: 50
Wagner is in the doghouse, Carlyle seems to like Shaw more, which makes no sense at all to me. Shaw is useless.

duckbrave15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Crosbysux

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbrave15 View Post
Wagner is in the doghouse, Carlyle seems to like Shaw more, which makes no sense at all to me. Shaw is useless.
He played well the last couple games. I don't know why the hate on Shaw. He's a 4th line player and Carlyle trust him on the PK.

Crosbysux is offline   Reply With Quote