Notices

Jamie McGinn

Old
03-10-2016, 01:51 AM
Ducks in a row
Go Ducks Quack Quack

vCash: 500
Jamie McGinn

27 years old who is a UFA to be with 2 goals 1 assist 3 points +1 in 5 games with 12:53 average time on ice per game for the Ducks. Has 16 goals 14 assists 30 points -9 in 68 games between the Ducks and Sabres this season.

What do you think of him and do you think it is possible we might try to sign him to a new contract and if so what do you see him getting?

Ducks in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2016, 03:59 AM
mightyquack
Anaheim is booty

Don't see him being re-signed unless Stoner+Bieksa are shipped out at a minimum. Too many players need re-signing at this stage.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2016, 11:30 AM
91Fedorov

I don't see him being resigned unless he starts to have a Perron 2.0 type impact.

91Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2016, 11:44 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Jamie MehGinn

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2016, 12:13 PM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

He's just kinda whatever. Not very good at anything except standing in front of the net, but not horrible at anything. I would have liked to have seen Murray go after someone better, but maybe Pirri will end up being a fit

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

Yeah unless he really turns it on and Samuelli starts feeling very philanthropic towards the payroll he's a goner. He seems decent. Not amazing. Given his short time here, I think the playoffs will be where we pass more sound judgement on him.

Montanaheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2016, 01:01 PM
Kalvinators
GDT record: 5-4-0

a\i think what we see is what we will get. It usually is like that

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Dmang714

Classic gmbm getting bottom 6 guys for the top 6 instead of getting an actual top 6er

Dmang714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
He's just kinda whatever. Not very good at anything except standing in front of the net, but not horrible at anything. I would have liked to have seen Murray go after someone better, but maybe Pirri will end up being a fit
Yeah he's a decent net front guy and good complementary player but he's not going to drive our offense. I also would have liked a better add at the deadline but he's still a good player and will help that line a lot more than Ritchie/Maroon.

As for re-signing him, Perron has to be first priority in terms of UFAs. I doubt McGinn is back next year.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Ducks in a row
Go Ducks Quack Quack

4 goals 1 assist 5 points in 9 games as of now.

Ducks in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2016, 11:28 AM
Getzmonster
Division Banners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks in a row View Post
4 goals 1 assist 5 points in 9 games as of now.
I know it's all about the playoffs, but I find it kind of amusing that outside of Smith-Pelly's ridiculous start in NJ, McGinn has been the best goal scorer so far out of all of the rentals (off the top of my head).

Not bad for a cond. 3rd.

Getzmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Emerald Duck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Yeah he's a decent net front guy and good complementary player but he's not going to drive our offense. I also would have liked a better add at the deadline but he's still a good player and will help that line a lot more than Ritchie/Maroon.

As for re-signing him, Perron has to be first priority in terms of UFAs. I doubt McGinn is back next year.
I agree that Perron is a higher priority, but it depends on what he's asking for in salary and term. If he's looking for $5M/yr for 4 years, then he might price himself off our team. If he's asking for $4-4.5M, then I hope we find a way to keep him. His style is really compatible with our offensive lines as a scorer, playmaker and puck possession guy.

McGinn is making $2.95M this year. If he's looking for similar money, then he might be a good backup plan to Perron, especially if he can continue to show some chemistry with Getzlaf/Perry/Rickell. If he's looking for a raise then he'll probably find it somewhere else.

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2016, 01:47 PM
mytduxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Duck View Post
I agree that Perron is a higher priority, but it depends on what he's asking for in salary and term. If he's looking for $5M/yr for 4 years, then he might price himself off our team. If he's asking for $4-4.5M, then I hope we find a way to keep him. His style is really compatible with our offensive lines as a scorer, playmaker and puck possession guy.

McGinn is making $2.95M this year. If he's looking for similar money, then he might be a good backup plan to Perron, especially if he can continue to show some chemistry with Getzlaf/Perry/Rickell. If he's looking for a raise then he'll probably find it somewhere else.
Personally, I don't think McGinn does enough outside of being good around the net to warrant him returning.

Last edited by mytduxfan: 03-19-2016 at 03:05 PM.
mytduxfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2016, 02:54 PM
CoreyPerryisaSaint
#MakeAnaheimGr8Again

1st goal prediction ringer

CoreyPerryisaSaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2016, 06:40 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

5 goals so far
pretty good value back for a mid round pick

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Theridion

Belesky 2.0

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2016, 09:53 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytduxfan View Post
Personally, I don't think McGinn does enough outside of being good around the net to warrant him returning.
This is similar to how I think. I would like McGinn back, but I don't think he's worth 3 million + on a multi year deal. He's terrific around the net, but I actually think Maroon is better at pretty much everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
Belesky 2.0
Not really. I don't see how they're similar at all. Beleskey was a much better player who created space with his physicality and fore-checking. He also had a great one timer and shot overall. McGinn is terrific around the net, and that's about it.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2016, 12:21 PM
mytduxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Off View Post
This is similar to how I think. I would like McGinn back, but I don't think he's worth 3 million + on a multi year deal. He's terrific around the net, but I actually think Maroon is better at pretty much everything else.
Disagree on that. Maroon was really only better than McGinn along the boards. The rest of their games are fairly similar i.e. they're terrible-to-average at everything else. McGinn is absolutely worth more in terms of a contract because he directly produces goals. Meanwhile, Maroon was just a very good cycle guy and good at keeping possession in the O-zone. However, I'd say he wasn't even that good at that this season. Hence, I wasn't bothered he was moved.

Quote:
Not really. I don't see how they're similar at all. Beleskey was a much better player who created space with his physicality and fore-checking. He also had a great one timer and shot overall. McGinn is terrific around the net, and that's about it.
Agreed. Beleskey is better than McGinn in a number of areas. Having said that, I wouldn't' be surprised if McGinn does go searching for a 4-5M contract just like Beleskey did.

mytduxfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Disagree on that. Maroon was really only better than McGinn along the boards. The rest of their games are fairly similar i.e. they're terrible-to-average at everything else. McGinn is absolutely worth more in terms of a contract because he directly produces goals. Meanwhile, Maroon was just a very good cycle guy and good at keeping possession in the O-zone. However, I'd say he wasn't even that good at that this season. Hence, I wasn't bothered he was moved.
I agree that McGinn is worth more as long as far as contracts go, but I'd definitely take Maroon at 2 million over McGinn at 4 million.

Maroon was a much better passer, and was better in transition. He wasn't amazing in transition by any means, but he was excellent in transition with that Rakell and Perry line. Other lines, he wasn't very good, but McGinn is horrible in transition. Both are not good defensively. McGinn is a better skater though, although not much better. I'd definitely rather have McGinn than Maroon during our playoff run though.

Maroon wasn't as good along the boards as last year, but he also wasn't played with guys who are great at it either. I knew his days were numbered. IMO, it was completely asinine to trade him at the deadline, but I was mostly upset at the package that we traded him for. It didn't warrant subtracting the extra depth before the playoffs. Our lineup now is a reason why. IMO, Ritchie shouldn't even be in the NHL, so having Maroon in over him would have been a plus. His absence is even more noticeable now with Perron out.

Quote:
Agreed. Beleskey is better than McGinn in a number of areas. Having said that, I wouldn't' be surprised if McGinn does go searching for a 4-5M contract just like Beleskey did.
I don't think anyone will be dumb enough to give him 5 million, but I could see him getting 4 million from someone.

Old
03-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Kalvinators
GDT record: 5-4-0

He really has been lucky and will slow down soon. His shooting% has been more than 23. Beleskey is a much better player

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2016, 02:27 PM
alcolol

Quote:
I agree that McGinn is worth more as long as far as contracts go, but I'd definitely take Maroon at 2 million over McGinn at 4 million.

Maroon was a much better passer, and was better in transition. He wasn't amazing in transition by any means, but he was excellent in transition with that Rakell and Perry line. Other lines, he wasn't very good, but McGinn is horrible in transition. Both are not good defensively. McGinn is a better skater though, although not much better. I'd definitely rather have McGinn than Maroon during our playoff run though.

Maroon wasn't as good along the boards as last year, but he also wasn't played with guys who are great at it either. I knew his days were numbered. IMO, it was completely asinine to trade him at the deadline, but I was mostly upset at the package that we traded him for. It didn't warrant subtracting the extra depth before the playoffs. Our lineup now is a reason why. IMO, Ritchie shouldn't even be in the NHL, so having Maroon in over him would have been a plus. His absence is even more noticeable now with Perron out.

I don't think anyone will be dumb enough to give him 5 million, but I could see him getting 4 million from someone.
I'm seriously questioning your ability to evaluate forwards if you think Maroon was better in transition, McGinn was not much better at skating, and Maroon didn't play the majority of this season's games with Getzlaf, Perry, or Rakell.

alcolol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcolol View Post
I'm seriously questioning your ability to evaluate forwards if you think Maroon was better in transition, McGinn was not much better at skating,and Maroon didn't play the majority of this season's games with Getzlaf, Perry, or Rakell.

Like I stated. On the Rakell line, he was clearly better in transition. Maybe Rakell and Perry played differently with him on their line, but that line was clearly better in transition when Maroon was on it.

Old
03-21-2016, 03:40 PM
alcolol

Quote:
Like I stated. On the Rakell line, he was clearly better in transition. Maybe Rakell and Perry played differently with him on their line, but that line was clearly better in transition when Maroon was on it.
I was going to respond to the second half of your post but it has curiously disappeared.

You previously claimed Maroon didn't play with the team's best players at cycling--Getzlaf, Perry, Rakell, and Perron. In fact, Maroon played the majority of his games this season alongside some combination of the first 3 players I listed.

alcolol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcolol View Post
I was going to respond to the second half of your post but it has curiously disappeared.

You previously claimed Maroon didn't play with the team's best players at cycling--Getzlaf, Perry, Rakell, and Perron. In fact, Maroon played the majority of his games this season alongside some combination of the first 3 players I listed.
I misread it at first. Monday's are busy in the logistics world. I guess it's hilarious to catch a mistake and edit it immediately?

What were Maroon's most common line-mates? Not being insulting, I just don't have that info, and I'm curious if you do.

Edit: Just did a quick google search, and according to this source: http://www.coppernblue.com/2016/3/3/...on-from-maroon

Maroon's most common line mates were Horcoff and Santorelli. I can't see the graph because I can't see those colors (color deficient), but the paragraph says that he played with guys not named those 4 more often than with them? Do you have a source that says otherwise? If not, well quite honestly, you're wrong. This is exactly my point. Maroon's game is a terrible fit for those two. Santorelli and Maroon could not be worse line-mates. Last season, I thought our Maroon-Thompson-Jackman 4th line was very effective. Very vanilla, but they cycled, weren't bad defensively, and physical. I'll take a 4th line like that any day.

Last edited by Duck Off: 03-21-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old
03-21-2016, 03:52 PM
Trojans86

Maroon was complete garbage this year. His only value was maintaining a cycle with Perry and Getz and being cheap, but when BB split up the twins we didnt have a forever cycling line like last year that we could plug him into. McGinn can actually score so that puts him ahead of Maroon but he adds very little else. I don't think he is worth any more than $3M a year but if you score goals people will pony up. No way he gets over $4 IMO.

Trojans86 is offline   Reply With Quote