HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How does changing the lie affect stick length?

Old
06-27-2009, 04:04 PM
vyktor

vCash: 500
How does changing the lie affect stick length?

I just got a stick with a lie of 6 different than anything I've ever used before, last one was a 5, I cut it to the same length as my old stick, after using it a few times the tape is worn towards the heel confirming to me that it felt too long, I don't want to nibble away at the length, is there a rule of thumb on how much to take off? I usually cut the stick to my Adams apple.

Another completely non related question. I saw an older guy at the rink the other day who had basically 2 sets of laces in his skates. one laced up the foot area loosely and then tied , the other was laced through the top 4 sets of eyelets he pulled those tighter and tied them. it looked a bit odd with the 2 bows but he said he'd done it that way for years and it allowed him to keep the skates snug where he liked them and loose where he wanted them. anyone ever see something like that?

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:11 PM
kivaerijo

not sure about the lie, but my skates have a locking mechanism where the boot goes up so that i can pretty much do the same thing as the guy with two laces. it works nice. i have messed with it multiple ways to find the most comfortable and supportive way

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post
I just got a stick with a lie of 6 different than anything I've ever used before, last one was a 5, I cut it to the same length as my old stick, after using it a few times the tape is worn towards the heel confirming to me that it felt too long, I don't want to nibble away at the length, is there a rule of thumb on how much to take off? I usually cut the stick to my Adams apple.

Another completely non related question. I saw an older guy at the rink the other day who had basically 2 sets of laces in his skates. one laced up the foot area loosely and then tied , the other was laced through the top 4 sets of eyelets he pulled those tighter and tied them. it looked a bit odd with the 2 bows but he said he'd done it that way for years and it allowed him to keep the skates snug where he liked them and loose where he wanted them. anyone ever see something like that?
Ray Bourque did that lace thing for a season or two. I used to as well not because ray did it but because the sklates i was wearing at the time needed it. When I got another pair of skates the tightness was different and I no longer needed to do that.

That is not to say that the skate sucked, it just felt better that way for that pair.

As for the LIE of the stick you'll have to figit with it to get it the way you want it. Not knowing your height, skating style by that I mean if you scooch down low to the ice or stand up more straight etc.

basically though you answered your own question ... get the tape wear to be in the middle and you are right where you want it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:00 AM
bleedgreen

yeah there is no rule of thumb, you just slice it half inch at a time till you get it right. the biggest switch is how you have to keep your back elbow a little higher, and that effects how you shoot sometimes, and youll have to get used to playing tighter to your feet more, which depending on your style of play can be a real good thing/bad thing. i personally think its a good thing, a lot of people use lower lies these days, it extends your reach, but i think its more important to have better control in tight. when i go low lie i lose some pucks in my feet that i really needed to have. and i do have feet/hand coordination. there are pros and coms on both sides of the rink.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:50 PM
puck10

I'd love to receive a final, conclusive answer to the "lie and length" correlation myself.

How does cutting the stick affect (or NOT affect) its lie value? If you purchase a 5.5 lie stick, standard 60" length, and cut 2" off of it, is it still, functionally, a 5.5 lie? Very confusing!

Also, as an aside, does anyone know if EASTON will ever manufacture a 6 lie pattern again? They have not done so since discontinuing the Yzerman and Shanahan patterns long ago? One would have to assume, for reasons I do not know, that, from EASTON's perspective, 6 lie patterns do not sell well at retail?

puck10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:58 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck10 View Post
I'd love to receive a final, conclusive answer to the "lie and length" correlation myself.

How does cutting the stick affect (or NOT affect) its lie value? If you purchase a 5.5 lie stick, standard 60" length, and cut 2" off of it, is it still, functionally, a 5.5 lie? Very confusing!

Also, as an aside, does anyone know if EASTON will ever manufacture a 6 lie pattern again? They have not done so since discontinuing the Yzerman and Shanahan patterns long ago? One would have to assume, for reasons I do not know, that, from EASTON's perspective, 6 lie patterns do not sell well at retail?
The rule is that you can affect the functional lie up to 1/2 by cutting it. But it's really hard to be exact. In any case, it's something that's kind of a mystery to almost everyone.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Ani simov mal

Quote:
Also, as an aside, does anyone know if EASTON will ever manufacture a 6 lie pattern again?
Two words: pro stock.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
SouthpawTRK

The length of the shaft, hand position and the lie of the blade will all contribute to how the blade lies. The actual lie of the blade will never change, but if you cut the stick shorter it will lie different in the ready/playing position. How the player holds their stick will also affect how the blade lies on the ice in the ready/playing position. So in theory, the actual lie of the blade never changes, but how the blade lies on the ice can change due to stick length, posturing and how you hold your stick.

The player with the two pairs of laces per skates sounds like he was looking for more support; maybe his skates did not have lace locks? I thought I remember seeing something on a hockey show saying that Paul Coffey used two sets of laces per skate so that he could keep his laces rock tight (they said that he would have to have the laces cut off after a game).

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:21 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
The actual lie of the blade will never change, but if you cut the stick shorter it will lie different in the ready/playing position. How the player holds their stick will also affect how the blade lies on the ice in the ready/playing position.
This is correct. To elaborate a lie of 5 is equal to a 135 angle and goes down 2 every whole number. Example: 6=133. In other words, a high lie makes the stick angle more like a square, and a low lie looks more like a boomerang. In your case, since your tape is wearing on the heel you should go back to a lower lie. I'm guessing when you skate you have a lower stance and/or like to keep your stick out in front.

Imo, cutting the stick isn't the answer. That will just mess you up even more and you will find yourself compensating by using an uncomfortable hand position.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Hockeyfan68

One can get away with the wrong lie if the blade has a big rocker bottom shape to it with a rounded toe.

I am doing it now with a Bauer One90 PM9 blade. It is a 5 and I use a 5.5 to a 6 but because it has such a big rocker and the stick I use is a long one it works well. I played three hours today and the tape wear was exactly in the middle.

Now I also have 3 Easton blades that are more square to the ice on the bottom and do not have much rocker and those are backups because I do not like the lie of 5 it has. I always am getting too much toe on the tape wear. same lie as the PM9, but a different wear spot between the two. technically the wrong lie on both but one is at least usable because of the rocker though still not ideal.

Funny how this stuff works.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:42 AM
SouthpawTRK

A little off topic, but I would still think that it's somewhat applicable to the OP. How much (if at all) of a manufacturing variance occurs when producing sticks in mass quantities? So, I'm just wondering if it's possible to have two identical sticks, but the lie angles are slightly different?

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:16 AM
puck10

Quote:

Last "lie" question from me, expanding upon my earlier post..

In relation to stick length only, all other factors aside (i.e. skating posture, hand position, etc.), are all in agreement with the following statement?

Often the lie of the blade will correspond with the length of the stick. Because a short stick places the heel of the blade closer to the body, a higher lie will ensure the blade is flat on the ice. A longer stick places the blade further from the body, so a lower lie keeps the blade flat.

(Courtesy of fellow board member Jarick's GREAT hockey blog, @ http://wildabouthockey.blogspot.com/...e-and-lie.html)

And, if so, that being said, one could perhaps conclude that for those whose stick comes up to, or below, the chin on skates, would be better off with a 5.5 lie or higher, and conversely, those whose stick is at the chin or above would be better served with a 5.5 lie or lower?

puck10 is offline   Reply With Quote