HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sexton says he'll try to make a trade

Old
02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
sinDer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I don't want to see Markstrom see significant ice time next year until this defense is tightened up.

I'd hate to see the kid get bombarded and have his confidence destroyed.
The reason why we're allowing so many shots is not the defense, it's our lack of offense.

It's been said before

If your forwards can't keep the puck in the offensive zone more than 10 seconds and you keep giving the puck away, you'll allow tons of shots, no matter how good the defense is.

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
or his frustration level and youth? give the guy a break, for crying out loud. he's trying to work with a young group of guys, the precise makeup of which continues shifting under him due to injuries. he's had to shift philosophies and still is having trouble getting them all on the same page. i'm not happy with everything he's done but he's not going to be fired, nor should he be at this point.
A coach should never say "it's a problem we'll have to fix in free agency." That's stuff for GM's to worry about, and most GM's wouldn't even say that during the season.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Vokoun's value has never been higher, he is a top 5 goalie so why would he not bring us back a good return?
1. He's about to be 34.
2. He has a 5.7M cap hit, making 6.3M next year.
3. How many teams need goaltending that badly...like 3 that make sense? Mostly, I hear Chicago, Washington, and Philadelphia. Chicago and Washington aren't going to trade for him...they're doing just fine without him, and + we'd be ******** to trade him to a division rival, in Washington.

We're better off keeping the strength of our team because we actually need him. There's no rush to trade him. Not that any of this matters, LeBrun already reported that Sexton had no interest in trading Vokoun at the deadline. Fortunately.

Old
02-08-2010, 12:53 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
1. He's about to be 34.
2. He has a 5.7M cap hit, making 6.3M next year.
3. How many teams need goaltending that badly...like 3 that make sense? Mostly, I hear Chicago, Washington, and Philadelphia. Chicago and Washington aren't going to trade for him...they're doing just fine without him, and + we'd be ******** to trade him to a division rival, in Washington.

We're better off keeping the strength of our team because we actually need him. There's no rush to trade him. Not that any of this matters, LeBrun already reported that Sexton had no interest in trading Vokoun at the deadline. Fortunately.
Dallas might also be interested in acquiring him.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post

For next year, I'd like to have a decent veteran goalie with Markstrom.
Why do we have to rush Markstrom?

For next year, I'd like to see Vokoun with Salak backing up, and Markstrom in the AHL. If he tears it up there, we'll know he's ready for the next year (2011-12) because there wouldn't be anything else for Markstrom to prove.

Stop pretending Markstrom is the second coming of Jesus. He's still a prospect. Develop the kid, properly. Don't just throw him into the fire on what most of you would say is a crappy team.

Old
02-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
Dallas might also be interested in acquiring him.
Dallas doesn't make any sense, unless they get rid of Turco, first.

Old
02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Dallas doesn't make any sense, unless they get rid of Turco, first.
Turco is on an expiring contract. The Stars might very well be interested in trading for Vokoun at the draft. And they have some good players/prospects that could help us.

Regardless, Vokoun should be traded at the draft (assuming Sexton decides to deal him).

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
RainingRats

San Jose might be looking to add Vokoun with Nabakov being a UFA at seasons end

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
Turco is on an expiring contract. The Stars might very well be interested in trading for Vokoun at the draft. And they have some good players/prospects that could help us.

Regardless, Vokoun should be traded at the draft (assuming Sexton decides to deal him).
That makes some sense, but some are talking about trading him, now.
Which btw, stop thinking that. No matter what any of you think, no team 2 points out of a playoff spot is going to tank. Be realistic, when was the last time that happened?

Old
02-08-2010, 01:07 PM
sinDer

Quote:

For next year, I'd like to see Vokoun with Salak backing up, and Markstrom in the AHL. If he tears it up there, we'll know he's ready for the next year (2011-12) because there wouldn't be anything else for Markstrom to prove.

Stop pretending Markstrom is the second coming of Jesus. He's still a prospect. Develop the kid, properly. Don't just throw him into the fire on what most of you would say is a crappy team.
Sounds good too. Not sure with Salak though.

But I agree with you, a full year in the AHL would be good for Markstrom.

I don't want us to trade Vokoun at any price. Only if the return is good.

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
San Jose might be looking to add Vokoun with Nabakov being a UFA at seasons end
I'm pretty sure with the elite team they have on the ice, they'd rather just go with Greiss/FA signing, if Nabokov leaves. I just don't see why an elite team would want a goalie making Vokoun money, and if they're getting him at the draft...they'd only be getting him for one year too, before he becomes a UFA, himself.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:08 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
The reason why we're allowing so many shots is not the defense, it's our lack of offense.

It's been said before

If your forwards can't keep the puck in the offensive zone more than 10 seconds and you keep giving the puck away, you'll allow tons of shots, no matter how good the defense is.
it's been said before so it is???

the problem is not offense, per se, it's really identity. if we were committed to playing a simple, conservative game (for example, as we did against montreal), we'd control shots and goals against. let's remind ourselves how many shots/goals the habs got. alternatively, if we were playing a more aggressive game and everyone was on the same page, the effect would be the same. the problem has been getting a constantly rotating cast of players on the same page.

Quote:
A coach should never say "it's a problem we'll have to fix in free agency." That's stuff for GM's to worry about, and most GM's wouldn't even say that during the season.
i don't disagree. he blew a gasket. he made a mistake. it's not a sign that he's not capable, imo. the circumstances have been difficult and he's still learning. he seems like a pretty balanced guy. i don't expect him to be blowing up like this publicly left and right.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
I'm pretty sure with the elite team they have on the ice, they'd rather just go with Greiss/FA signing, if Nabokov leaves. I just don't see why an elite team would want a goalie making Vokoun money, and if they're getting him at the draft...they'd only be getting him for one year too, before he becomes a UFA, himself.
Nabakov makes 6 mill a season. Teams like that should look to acquire Vokoun especially since they're contenders this season and next.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Sounds good too. Not sure with Salak though.

But I agree with you, a full year in the AHL would be good for Markstrom.

I don't want us to trade Vokoun at any price. Only if the return is good.
Even if he fails, his job would be minimal with Vokoun around. As has been said, he can also learn from Vokoun, and they could probably both relate, being from the Czech Republic.

The first thing Sexton should be doing is calling every team around the league to see if he can get a terrible pick for Scott Clemmensen, just to get rid of him.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:10 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
it's been said before so it is???

the problem is not offense, per se, it's really identity. if we were committed to playing a simple, conservative game (for example, as we did against montreal), we'd control shots and goals against. let's remind ourselves how many shots/goals the habs got. alternatively, if we were playing a more aggressive game and everyone was on the same page, the effect would be the same. the problem has been getting a constantly rotating cast of players on the same page.

i don't disagree. he blew a gasket. he made a mistake. it's not a sign that he's not capable, imo. the circumstances have been difficult and he's still learning. he seems like a pretty balanced guy. i don't expect him to be blowing up like this publicly left and right.
When he says offense he means our offense holding onto the puck(puck possession).

Old
02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Nabakov makes 6 mill a season. Teams like that should look to acquire Vokoun especially since they're contenders this season and next.
If a team acquires Vokoun, they're giving us valuable pieces of their team in return...or at least they should. What's the point of a team like San Jose doing that when they could easily be an elite team without elite goaltending?

Old
02-08-2010, 01:13 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
If a team acquires Vokoun, they're giving us valuable pieces of their team in return...or at least they should. What's the point of a team like San Jose doing that when they could easily be an elite team without elite goaltending?
Because they want to win the cup. Star players never get great returns. I would want picks and top prospects. NJD gave up some quality assets for Kovy and they're cup contenders.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Because they want to win the cup. Star players never get great returns. I would want picks and top prospects.
Ummm...if we're trading Vokoun, we should at least be getting a solid, proven player back in the deal.

Trading an elite goaltender for nothing more than potential is just a Panther-esque (stupid) move.

Also, not trading Vokoun doesn't = losing him for nothing. If he leaves when he becomes a UFA, that just means we'd have his money to spend on other players in free agency. I don't see the big deal. Keep him.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:18 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Ummm...if we're trading Vokoun, we should at least be getting a solid, proven player back in the deal.

Trading an elite goaltender for nothing more than potential is just a Panther-esque (stupid) move.

Also, not trading Vokoun doesn't = losing him for nothing. If he leaves when he becomes a UFA, that just means we'd have his money to spend on other players in free agency. I don't see the big deal. Keep him.
I edited my post a bit. See above. Not trading him does equal losing him for nothing in the sense of poor asset management. When your short term success is definitely limited(hoping to make the playoffs) you should use that asset to help out the future not just rely on the cap space which will not be spent on acquiring a star UFA.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Erick*

Quote:
NJD gave up some quality assets for Kovy and they're cup contenders.
It's different with a forward.
Also, I think it was a foolish move by New Jersey, but whatever. Really, they were Cup Contenders without Kovalchuk. The only way that ends up a good deal is if they either win the Cup this year, or Kovalchuk doesn't go to Russia after the season, and re-signs with them.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Erick*

Quote:
I edited my post a bit. See above. Not trading him does equal losing him for nothing in the sense of poor asset management. When your short term success is definitely limited(hoping to make the playoffs) you should use that asset to help out the future not just rely on the cap space which will not be spent on acquiring a star UFA.
Ok, I'd agree with that, too.
The thing is, it's not like we really HAVE TO build for the future, anymore. This team has core players...several. The problem is that, as you have said, we keep signing guys like Reinprecht and giving them roles they really shouldn't be in.

If we use Vokoun's money (+ other players on our team that year that will become FA's), and sign a star caliber player...that's what we need.

We need another scoring line player. The core of Weiss, Horton, Booth, and Frolik...those are all scoring line players. We don't have a 2nd line center, right now, imo. But we have core players. The future is here, we just have to put the right players around it. We're not as far away as some people seem to think.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Quote:

Amen!

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:32 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Ok, I'd agree with that, too.
The thing is, it's not like we really HAVE TO build for the future, anymore. This team has core players...several. The problem is that, as you have said, we keep signing guys like Reinprecht and giving them roles they really shouldn't be in.

If we use Vokoun's money (+ other players on our team that year that will become FA's), and sign a star caliber player...that's what we need.

We need another scoring line player. The core of Weiss, Horton, Booth, and Frolik...those are all scoring line players. We don't have a 2nd line center, right now, imo. But we have core players. The future is here, we just have to put the right players around it. We're not as far away as some people seem to think.
I don't know. After Weiss and Horton who have had career years this year I'm not sold on any of our other forwards. Even Booth worries me with his concussion. If Weiss and Horton had their usual production we're looking at last place. You need a second, third, fourth line to be successful. We're not really there. Our D will also experience a lot of turnover. We're further away than we are close to be a successful stable team. As for the star player acquisition, it is my belief that we will only get one through the draft.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Sexton and DeBoer are only saying they are going to make trades. They really won't, but they want to see how many they can dupe into renewing their season tickets. Then they'll trade Matthews for a 3rd round pick to prove their point.

South Florida deserves a hockey team, but just not this one. If they were race horses, they would not be used as breeding stallions for future players. They'd more likely be turned into sausage. Floppy, soft sausage.
Oh, they'll make trades, they just might not be buyers though. Check this article out, it sums it up nicely....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...0,951844.story

If we don't get at least 3 pts. in the next 3 games, we're probably going to be sellers. That would back up what Pierre LeBrun said on HNIC Hotstove also, that if we falter this week then Leo and Seidenberg will be made available. If we lose the next 2 games, we could start selling even before the Olympic break. If we win the next 2, we could start buying before the break. It could go either way.

But Sexton will be making moves either way. It's not in his interest to not make any moves. Ownership has made it clear he's on a short leash, so he has to perform, either way. He won't just stand pat.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
I don't know. After Weiss and Horton who have had career years this year I'm not sold on any of our other forwards. Even Booth worries me with his concussion. If Weiss and Horton had their usual production we're looking at last place. You need a second, third, fourth line to be successful. We're not really there. Our D will also experience a lot of turnover. We're further away than we are close to be a successful stable team. As for the star player acquisition, it is my belief that we will only get one through the draft.
I think we are closer than it seems with this team, I just think it's like a merry-go-round with players coming and going and the team never really has a chance to gel together to run the system the right way, or we get injuries. See, Stillman-Reino-Frolik was really developing into a solid 2nd line until the injuries started happening. Also, if Booth, Weiss, and Horton can find their games after they return from injury and continue to improve the way they have this season,then we have two solid lines that have scored a ton of goals. The problems I've seen is with the choices of players to be on our bottom 2 lines. IMHO,Oreskovich, Repik,Matthias,Duco, and Mcardle need to replace Kreps,Olesz, Campbell, and Tarnasky. Those 5 players have done so much more for this club as far as energy,scoring chances, big hits and pretty much electrifying the Panthers to play a better game and I think it's time for Deboer and Sexton to hold this "accountability" mind-set they love to use and actually reward those players for their hard work and put their money where their mouths are.

I think if we were able to look at the players on our team that are expendable,as well as draft picks and possibly prospects to aquire a top notch superstar, or at very least a true #2 center then it's definately worth looking into.

expendable players are:
Kreps
Campbell
Tarnasky
Olesz
Clemmensen
any draft pick (for a top player,not another 3rd or 4th liner)
Leopold

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote