HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Stars that came from Nowhere

Old
11-22-2010, 12:01 PM
the edler
Inimitable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
As one who saw Franzén play somewhat regularly in the SEL, I had absolutely no idea that he had this kind of goal scoring touch. When he crossed the pond I thought he'd be like Rickard Wallin, a 3rd/4th line player, probably returning after one or two seasons.
that's probably why you're not a scout, i guess franzen has a freight train game that fits the league better, not like wallin who's not a mule but more of a roe deer, and franzen also came to probably the best organisation in the league and plays with guys like lidström, zetterberg, and datsyuk

plus i wouldn't call him a superstar, his best season is 34 goals and 59 points on very good teams, yes i know he was nuts in the playoffs but the red wings are bound to be good there

if franzen is in minnesota as wallin was i don't think he makes that much fuzz, but i don't know

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco543 View Post
I still think it's absolutely hilarious that the Kings drafted Tom Glavine ahead of Robitaille that year.
I know we all find it hilarious today, I once ready somewhere, I think it was in an article about Drury and Glavine that Glavine was even more highly thought of than a 4th round pick but fell because of uncertainty over which sport he would choose. He ended up being a 2nd round pick by the Braves, getting a rather large signing bonus which made him finally choose baseball.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:13 PM
crobro

domenic hasek

jaroslav halak

bernie nichols

adam oates

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:21 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Pavol Demitra - 227th overall, 1993 (Ottawa Senators) after five seasons he explode with 37 goals and 89 points. Later another 93 point season.

Lubomir Visnovsky - 118th overall, 2000 (LA Kings) He was drafted at age 24 after he was silver in World Championship and was huge part of the team. He was considered as not perspective cause he is small.

..and winner is...

Zdeno Chara - 56th overall, 1996 (Islanders)
His junior coaches told him he should end playing hockey, never play in premier national league, fans in Slovakia remember him as completly unskilled defensman with terrible skating. Last year he won Norris. End of story
hm, i think, that Slovak winner is Peter Bondra, drafted as 159. in 1990.
And maybe in a few years we will say it about Jaro Halak (2003 as 271.)...

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Wet Sprocket

Jonathon Cheechoo is the first that comes to mind. Takes him 4 years to make it to the NHL from his draft year. Scores only 11 goals his rookie year, then 28 as a 3rd liner his second year, and then to a league leading 56 his 3rd year. And it wasn't all just Thornton, Cheechoo was a player on a roll. For 4 months in 2006, NHL competition looked easy. Then injuries and his own built in limitations reduced him to a minor league player just as quickly as he rose. Charlie Simmer has kind of an elongated version of this career path.

Wet Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Cheechoo might have had the most peaked career of all time.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
bernie nichols

Seriously? He tore the OHL apart with 152 points in 65 games, then the next year, scored 41 goals in 55 AHL games. I don't think he was expected to be a third line plug.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:31 PM
steve141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
As one who saw Franzén play somewhat regularly in the SEL, I had absolutely no idea that he had this kind of goal scoring touch. When he crossed the pond I thought he'd be like Rickard Wallin, a 3rd/4th line player, probably returning after one or two seasons.

Boy was I wrong...
I was going to say Franzén. For all the press Detroit's scouting staff get for Zetterberg and Datsyuk, the Franzén pick is the one that is the most impressive to me. Z and Datsyuk were stars on their teams, while Franzén was a checking line player in the SEL. How do you spot a 25 year old 4th line player in the SEL and project him to be the top scorer on a Stanley Cup winner?

After he was drafted he played a largely defensive role on Detroit for two years. When Holmstrom got injured during 2008, Franzen was moved to the first line and scored at almost a GPG pace for the rest of the year.

steve141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:59 PM
matnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve141 View Post
I was going to say Franzén. For all the press Detroit's scouting staff get for Zetterberg and Datsyuk, the Franzén pick is the one that is the most impressive to me. Z and Datsyuk were stars on their teams, while Franzén was a checking line player in the SEL. How do you spot a 25 year old 4th line player in the SEL and project him to be the top scorer on a Stanley Cup winner?

After he was drafted he played a largely defensive role on Detroit for two years. When Holmstrom got injured during 2008, Franzen was moved to the first line and scored at almost a GPG pace for the rest of the year.
It was certainly an impressive pick but when he was drafted he was actually a star in the SEL with a number of games in the national team under his belt so at that point he wasn't a fourth liner.

matnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
matnor

A couple of players that might fit (even though I have a liberal interpretation of who is a star) would be Joe Mullen, Jim Pappin, Craig Conroy and Kenny Wharram

matnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Kyle McMahon

How about Bernie Parent?

Fairly uneventful NHL career in the late 60's/early 70's. Goes to the WHA and puts up, according to the stats at least, a pretty mediocre season with the Philadelphia Blazers in 1972-73.

Then returns to the NHL the next year at age 28 and puts up two of the greatest back-to-back seasons in league history, a 1st team all-star and Conn Smythe winner in both.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:49 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve141 View Post

it's crazy to think that franzen, who was a huge steal, was detroit's consolation prize after the canucks took edler out from under them.

but then again, in a couple of years, i think we can add edler to this list too.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...2ca86&sponsor=

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
How about Bernie Parent?

Fairly uneventful NHL career in the late 60's/early 70's.
Uneventful because of the teams he played for, not for a lack on his part. Parent was one of the best goalies of that period.

Quote:
Goes to the WHA and puts up, according to the stats at least, a pretty mediocre season with the Philadelphia Blazers in 1972-73.
He led the league in wins that season, for what it's worth, and was on the WHA Second All-Star team.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:19 AM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
I know we all find it hilarious today, I once ready somewhere, I think it was in an article about Drury and Glavine that Glavine was even more highly thought of than a 4th round pick but fell because of uncertainty over which sport he would choose. He ended up being a 2nd round pick by the Braves, getting a rather large signing bonus which made him finally choose baseball.
Glavine ripped it up at Billerica Memorial. He averaged two goals a game his senior year.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Patrick Sharp and Dan Boyle.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote