HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

L.A. Noire

Old
05-04-2011, 10:06 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No your hunch is dead on I'd say (obviously a hunch on your hunch )

Honestly I don't care though, it looks good and if the reviews are bang on it'll probably be purchased the first day or soon after. Just because it's a unique idea and I want to really get into it.
Tbh, I wouldn't put much stock into most reviews-- they've become too corporatized in the sense they have to pander to certain people in the industry. There are good independent sites though.

This is a game, along with Brink, I'm getting NO doubt. The premise and the fact that R* is involved as overseers is all I need to be getting this game. I know it won't be GOTY and it likely won't get more than an 8.5/85%. But as I said earlier, this game seems the closest to the classic Bladerunner game I loved as a teen so I'll be in line to get it for sure.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 2598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Tbh, I wouldn't put much stock into most reviews-- they've become too corporatized in the sense they have to pander to certain people in the industry. There are good independent sites though.

This is a game, along with Brink, I'm getting NO doubt. The premise and the fact that R* is involved as overseers is all I need to be getting this game. I know it won't be GOTY and it likely won't get more than an 8.5/85%. But as I said earlier, this game seems the closest to the classic Bladerunner game I loved as a teen so I'll be in line to get it for sure.
http://www.giantbomb.com is a good site to check for game reviews. They also include (usually) the first 15-20 minute gameplay of new games.

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:27 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entertainment Factor View Post
http://www.giantbomb.com is a good site to check for game reviews. They also include (usually) the first 15-20 minute gameplay of new games.
Good call, I've heard of it from buddies, but never checked out. Will do. Do they delay, delay, delay their reviews like IGN? Or have it come out 3 weeks before the game comes out like some big games IGN's done? That stuff is what I hate.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Good call, I've heard of it from buddies, but never checked out. Will do. Do they delay, delay, delay their reviews like IGN? Or have it come out 3 weeks before the game comes out like some big games IGN's done? That stuff is what I hate.
IGN isn't in charge of that, the publisher is.

And most often, Giant Bomb reviews come out the day of release. The reviews are good, but it's watching the Quick Looks and listening to them discuss it on the Bombcast that is more profitable. The reviews are almost tertiary to the whole experience.

Quote:
This is a game, along with Brink, I'm getting NO doubt. The premise and the fact that R* is involved as overseers is all I need to be getting this game. I know it won't be GOTY and it likely won't get more than an 8.5/85%.
I think you're fooling yourself. That game is going to have to have serious playability issues to not get 90s. I bet it gets 90s even if the driving and aiming isn't up to par for 3rd person shooters. Critics love western-developed games that are cutscene heavy.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:59 AM
neofury*

To be honest I thought anywhere from 8-9 sounded accurate. (Even though we haven't even played the game )

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
IGN isn't in charge of that, the publisher is.

And most often, Giant Bomb reviews come out the day of release. The reviews are good, but it's watching the Quick Looks and listening to them discuss it on the Bombcast that is more profitable. The reviews are almost tertiary to the whole experience.
Yup, the reviews come out the day of release. The video reviews are fun to watch and, like Fire Therrien said, more profitable.

IGN is awful. There are better places out there.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Honestly reviews are almost worthless. The only time I can ever remember one of them working in my favor was seeing Fallout 3 on that show Reviews on the Run. I thought it looked pretty *****in' and they gave it 10/10. Turns out to be the greatest game I ever played.

But I've been steered wrong far more often. IGN's 10 score on GTA IV was an absolute travesty. Prince of Persia I got suckered in on. Brutal Legend got shockingly high reviews. RotR gave Joe Danger on PSN a 10/10. 15 dollars and 15 minutes later I felt molested, it's cute and should probably be an iPhone game not a 10/10 - leave that for mindblowing Mass Effect type games.

Then there's games that got low reviews probably because they didn't send gifts but to me are absolute classics of this generation. The Saboteur, Alpha Protocol, Medal of Honor...

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Honestly reviews are almost worthless. The only time I can ever remember one of them working in my favor was seeing Fallout 3 on that show Reviews on the Run. I thought it looked pretty *****in' and they gave it 10/10. Turns out to be the greatest game I ever played.

But I've been steered wrong far more often. IGN's 10 score on GTA IV was an absolute travesty. Prince of Persia I got suckered in on. Brutal Legend got shockingly high reviews. RotR gave Joe Danger on PSN a 10/10. 15 dollars and 15 minutes later I felt molested, it's cute and should probably be an iPhone game not a 10/10 - leave that for mindblowing Mass Effect type games.

Then there's games that got low reviews probably because they didn't send gifts but to me are absolute classics of this generation. The Saboteur, Alpha Protocol, Medal of Honor...
Hmm. I've been meaning to try out Alpha Protocal.

It depends where you go for reviews. IGN is an awful place for them. Metacritic is good (basically sums up all reviews together to get a score), but, personally, Giant Bomb is one of the best. Their written reviews are solid, but the gameplay video with their commentary is very good. Give them a shot.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

I usually check out games on Metacritic. Problem is that it translates some scores just based on fractions. Like a 4/5 on Giantbomb will be translated into 80% on Metacritic. For a game like L.A. Noire, an 80% could be considered low. However, 4/5 is really great according to Giantbomb, and I remembering reading an interview, they said if translated into a /10 scale, it would be like a 9 or something, and only a few games get 5/5 on Giantbomb that the editor absolutely loved. With Giantbomb, it's best to actually read the review and watch their playthroughs to get a feel of how much they really enjoy the game. However, I still use Metacritic just to read the quick summary of some of the reviews.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Jules Winnfield
Kessel is phat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entertainment Factor View Post
Hmm. I've been meaning to try out Alpha Protocal.

It depends where you go for reviews. IGN is an awful place for them. Metacritic is good (basically sums up all reviews together to get a score), but, personally, Giant Bomb is one of the best. Their written reviews are solid, but the gameplay video with their commentary is very good. Give them a shot.
Alpha Protocol is great as far as storyline. The graphics and play are pretty bad however.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Alpha Protocol is great as far as storyline. The graphics and play are pretty bad however.
I would give both 5/10, with that being average.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:46 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

I haven't been this pumped for a game in a long, long time.

My main concern is the difficulty. I just hope they don't make it too easy. I want each case to cost me hours of frustration.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

So it's going to take up 3 discs for the XBOX 360 and the full blu ray for the PS3. However, it's not due to amount of content for the game, but primarily due the motion scanning technology.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Disagree.

Gameplay is a 10/10. Everyone wants to RPG a game and this gives is. Every perk and upgrade you make completely changes how you play it. You can be full out shooter mode or go sneak mode, or tech mode.

Graphics, who cares? Really? It's not a beautiful game but it's fun to play. I'll trade backgrounds for fun any day.

It's an actual RPG that your decisions make a difference. If you put all your XP on guns, you go in blazing. If you go tech, you can shut ever facility down, avoid. Go stealth, silenced guns and neck snapping. It's an entirely different game.

I think too many people played it going in pistols blazing and **** the tactics.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Dude, I love Alpha Protocol, but from a pure gameplay sense, that game is flat out busted.

Great interactivity with the storyline though. Typical Obsidian.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:36 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
So it's going to take up 3 discs for the XBOX 360 and the full blu ray for the PS3. However, it's not due to amount of content for the game, but primarily due the motion scanning technology.
Sounds intriguing That technology should be epic. I've always found it annoying when games messed up mo-cap, especially in important cut-scenes

Old
05-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Takao
kesbae

Definitely looks interesting. Really might consider getting it.

Takao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:40 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
I haven't been this pumped for a game in a long, long time.

My main concern is the difficulty. I just hope they don't make it too easy. I want each case to cost me hours of frustration.
This.

I can just see it being ridiculous and repetitive. Something like glowing objects on the ground. Or pop ups saying "What is that under the dumpster?!" and basically holding your hand.

Perhaps there will be difficulty settings for this sort of thing.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:21 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
This.

I can just see it being ridiculous and repetitive. Something like glowing objects on the ground. Or pop ups saying "What is that under the dumpster?!" and basically holding your hand.

Perhaps there will be difficulty settings for this sort of thing.
I don't remember the article, but there was one I read disputing that and saying they know players want a challenge and will be catering to those who truly enjoy investigating things.

Old
05-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Just install all discs on the hdd.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Just install all discs on the hdd.
That won't help the millions of people that only have 4 GB or 20 GB hard drives

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
That won't help the millions of people that only have 4 GB or 20 GB hard drives
Yeah that's the problem for me and a lot of people I know. I was probably gonna get it for PS3 but that cements it.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Yea I only have a 20 GB, although I have no problem swapping discs. Most likely will get it for 360.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:44 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
So it's kind of like a movie being split in to 2 dvd's? Once you get to a point in the game you have to switch discs? if that's right, that's not so bad.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:11 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Swapping discs isn't a huge deal, it shouldn't even really be an issue it takes like 5 seconds and allows your eyes to take a break

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote