HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

L.A. Noire

Old
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
So it's kind of like a movie being split in to 2 dvd's? Once you get to a point in the game you have to switch discs? if that's right, that's not so bad.
Pretty much.

Never really understood some of the complaints of disc swapping. It will literally take a minute to take out the disc, put the new one in, and let everything load.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
In the map that Rockstar Games revealed a couple of days via the L.A. Noire’s social club, the map that players will be exploring is much rather bigger than the ones found on Mafia II and Grand Theft Auto IV. Comparing the three maps, L.A. Noire’s map is at 8 square miles while Grand Theft Auto IV is at 6 sq. miles and Mafia II at 4 sq. miles only.
http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/05...omment-page-1/

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:11 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i got a 250 hard drive for like, 80 bucks.

i have this paid off, have taken the day off from work and am going dark on my phone. i can't wait.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
I'll always take a small map with something interesting in every building than a huge map full of nothing. Huge maps just mean more travel to get to the good parts.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Nice. I like finding nuances in big maps. But I hope they have detailed buildings. It's too bad they couldn't fit a full scale LA though.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Can't wait till this comes out, I got tired of Black Ops so I've been playing NHL 11 every once in a while.

Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I think I would prefer a smaller map with more insides of buildings to explore than a larger map where 90% of the buildings are not open.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:47 AM
bdp

This, or Infamous 2...or both...fuuuuuu can't choose.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:17 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
This, or Infamous 2...or both...fuuuuuu can't choose.
No worries dude, Infamous 2 is due out in the fall, LA is next Tuesday. LA now, beat it, trade it in, take credit for Infamous 2. I'm getting both for sure. Infamous is one of my favorite games all-time. I really think it was revolutionary with the parkour physics.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:41 AM
wingsnut19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
No worries dude, Infamous 2 is due out in the fall, LA is next Tuesday. LA now, beat it, trade it in, take credit for Infamous 2. I'm getting both for sure. Infamous is one of my favorite games all-time. I really think it was revolutionary with the parkour physics.
Infamous 2 is due June 7th, so less than a month. Unless that has changed?

I'll probably end up pre-ordering this, trading in Black Ops towards it and getting some $60 trade credit.

wingsnut19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:42 AM
bdp

Quote:
Infamous 2 is actually out June 7th, which is why I'm hesitating here. If I buy LA Noire there's no way I'll be able to beat it before Infamous 2 comes out. Using RDR as a precedent it'll probably take me 3+ months to beat Noire. Infamous games aren't short either. Decisions, decisions.

I agree on the first Infamous, best traversal gameplay ever, makes Assassin's Creed feel like a clunky mess in comparison. But LA Noire looks awesome too.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Heisenberg77

As much as I want this game, I'm just not sure it's worth the $60 for me. Once I beat it, I'm simply not going to go back and tackle investigations in different ways etc...

The replayability looks respectable, just not sure it's for me. Maybe I'll buy it used and sell it back like I did with Alan Wake and Heavy Rain.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:33 PM
pine*

$60 is subjective. There are always way to bring down that 60$.

All it cost me for LA:N was COD:BO, which I had gotten by trading in three random games (with $8+ value at EBG).

Right now, at EBG Canada, you can trade in two games with $8 value (good example would be AC:Brotherhood, on sale @19.99 at WM) and get a used game free. If you take Black Ops as that game, you can power trade it towards LA:N or Brink and they will give you back 1 cent.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Heisenberg77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post

All it cost me for LA:N was COD:BO, which I had gotten by trading in three random games (with $8+ value at EBG).

Right now, at EBG Canada, you can trade in two games with $8 value (good example would be AC:Brotherhood, on sale @19.99 at WM) and get a used game free. If you take Black Ops as that game, you can power trade it towards LA:N or Brink and they will give you back 1 cent.
Meh. I don't do much trading in, mainly since most of the games I own aren't worth the piss poor trade in value considering I still get playing time out of many of my games that are even worth anything in the trade-in market.

And I still play Black Ops a ton, especially with the DLC. So trading that in isn't an option for me.

Come May 16, when the game is out and all shiny and new on the shelves at the Gamestop 8 feet from my work, I'm probably going to cave in and buy it. Since it's Rockstar, I can stomach paying $60, it just won't be easy.

And like I said, there's always the outside chance I wait a week and buy it used and return it within the sell back time frame.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:07 PM
bdp

Quote:
That's what I was planning to do. Seems like a lot of leg work though.

Old
05-09-2011, 02:39 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut19 View Post
Infamous 2 is due June 7th, so less than a month. Unless that has changed?

I'll probably end up pre-ordering this, trading in Black Ops towards it and getting some $60 trade credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Infamous 2 is actually out June 7th, which is why I'm hesitating here. If I buy LA Noire there's no way I'll be able to beat it before Infamous 2 comes out. Using RDR as a precedent it'll probably take me 3+ months to beat Noire. Infamous games aren't short either. Decisions, decisions.

I agree on the first Infamous, best traversal gameplay ever, makes Assassin's Creed feel like a clunky mess in comparison. But LA Noire looks awesome too.
Wow, clearly I haven't kept up with the info on Infamous 2. When I looked earlier this year, it was fall 2011. That is a true debate, I'll still get both because I'll be playing LA:N non-stop.

Quote:

Stupid question, can you trade in COD: BO right now straight up for LAN? I would totally do that as I don't play it anymore with PSN down for a while (and since they got rid of the straight TDM:Mercenary)

Old
05-09-2011, 03:35 PM
wingsnut19

Quote:
Stupid question, can you trade in COD: BO right now straight up for LAN? I would totally do that as I don't play it anymore with PSN down for a while (and since they got rid of the straight TDM:Mercenary)
That's my plan. $40 trade in value for BO at EB Games, with a 50% boost for any trade in towards LA Noire, so I'd get a $60 trade value, and no taxes for trade ins. That is in Canada though, probably much different in the USA.

Old
05-09-2011, 03:40 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
I don't remember the article, but there was one I read disputing that and saying they know players want a challenge and will be catering to those who truly enjoy investigating things.
I read that in GI. They said that the clues won't be glowing or right in the open at all.

05-09-2011, 03:54 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
That's my plan. $40 trade in value for BO at EB Games, with a 50% boost for any trade in towards LA Noire, so I'd get a $60 trade value, and no taxes for trade ins. That is in Canada though, probably much different in the USA.
Yeah, I was just on gamestop canada and saw that. With PSN down for what's suspected to be another 3 weeks or more, I'm not waiting any longer for BO to drop in value (which it may not, but I don't wanna take a chance). I've invested a lot of time in that game anyways, so I've gotten my $60 worth

Now, the tiv is $40, so wouldn't you get $80 value in return when you get LA: Noire, or do they say 50% until the price of Noire is covered? I was thinking of trading in NHL 11 ($20 tiv) + Heavy Rain ($15 tiv) for a total tiv $35, giving me $70. But the total investment would be more than the one game (BO) for Noire straight up. Decisions, decisions.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I read that in GI. They said that the clues won't be glowing or right in the open at all.
Yeah, exactly. I think it'll be very tough with some cases, with many red herrings.

Old
05-09-2011, 04:25 PM
wingsnut19

Quote:
Yeah, I was just on gamestop canada and saw that. With PSN down for what's suspected to be another 3 weeks or more, I'm not waiting any longer for BO to drop in value (which it may not, but I don't wanna take a chance). I've invested a lot of time in that game anyways, so I've gotten my $60 worth

Now, the tiv is $40, so wouldn't you get $80 value in return when you get LA: Noire, or do they say 50% until the price of Noire is covered? I was thinking of trading in NHL 11 ($20 tiv) + Heavy Rain ($15 tiv) for a total tiv $35, giving me $70. But the total investment would be more than the one game (BO) for Noire straight up. Decisions, decisions.....

Yeah, exactly. I think it'll be very tough with some cases, with many red herrings.
Well, it's the $40 tiv plus 50% (40*0.5=$20), so $60. Your $35 tiv would give you $52.50. And yeah, the total can't exceed the value of the game you're trading in for. So I'm not 100% sure it'll work with BO (since LA Noire is $59.99), but I'll find out tonight.

I actually just bought a couple copies of Black Ops off of Ebay for $33 so I could trade them in for extra value. Easy money.

Old
05-09-2011, 05:20 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Well, it's the $40 tiv plus 50% (40*0.5=$20), so $60. Your $35 tiv would give you $52.50. And yeah, the total can't exceed the value of the game you're trading in for. So I'm not 100% sure it'll work with BO (since LA Noire is $59.99), but I'll find out tonight.

I actually just bought a couple copies of Black Ops off of Ebay for $33 so I could trade them in for extra value. Easy money.
Oh, that's how it works. For some reason I thought they doubled, I don't even know why Makes sense now. At least it'll fully cover before taxes.

Old
05-09-2011, 05:31 PM
pine*

Quote:

You'd be better off trading those two games for one used (e.g. Black Ops) and trading that Black Ops straight in for LA:N instead of getting 52.50 with the PT.

Quote:

It works with BO, I did it already. Depending on the CSR, they may or may not give you the one cent back.

Old
05-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
You'd be better off trading those two games for one used (e.g. Black Ops) and trading that Black Ops straight in for LA:N instead of getting 52.50 with the PT.

It works with BO, I did it already. Depending on the CSR, they may or may not give you the one cent back.
Dude, you are the new broski of the week. That is twice now that you have saved me money. I just bought AC II: Brotherhood for 18.99 (having friends at Best Buy helps), and now I bought CoD: BO for 35 bucks off Kijiji, so I'll be getting LA Noire for what works out to 35 dollars.

You are a King.

Old
05-09-2011, 06:42 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
Dude, you are the new broski of the week. That is twice now that you have saved me money. I just bought AC II: Brotherhood for 18.99 (having friends at Best Buy helps), and now I bought CoD: BO for 35 bucks off Kijiji, so I'll be getting LA Noire for what works out to 35 dollars.

You are a King.
Thanks. I can't recall the last time I paid full price for a video game.

btw, you could have shaved off a few extra dollars for AC:B by price matching at Futureshop (they have the game for $59.99 ; difference of $40 ; considering 110% of the difference, new price = $15.83).

Old
05-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Thanks. I can't recall the last time I paid full price for a video game.

btw, you could have shaved off a few extra dollars for AC:B by price matching at Futureshop (they have the game for $59.99 ; difference of $40 ; considering 110% of the difference, new price = $15.83).

damn it. BB had it on sale for 29.99 so the difference was a buck.

I should go and get it from FS at that price and then give the unopened copy of it to BB.