HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Exercise question - Squats

Old
03-30-2010, 10:10 PM
RaoulDuke2k

vCash: 500
Exercise question - Squats

Recently I've been able to join a gym again, and have been putting more time into my legwork to help with my play.

Just wanted to get some opinions on what type of squat program some of you might use or have used, and have seen results with. Right now I'm about 4 weeks in to it, and generally do 5 sets/12 reps per, with a weight that makes the last 3 reps fairly tough. I think one week I went heavier and did 8 reps per set. I'm still acclimating to it and my recovery is going a bit faster this week than the last few. Right now I only can do legs 1 day a week, as the recovery takes several days.

Now I do other leg exercises too and deadlifts, cardio, etc... but the squats are the core of the strength workout for me. Any advice or info on reps/sets/frequency, etc....would be appreciated. Thanks!

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 07:14 AM
Gino 14

If you can only do legs once a week due to extended recovery time, something is wrong with your form or your routine. Get someone at the gym that gets piad to develope routines to help you out before you screw yourself up.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 07:20 AM
JustinW

yeah but he basically just started working out like 4 weeks ago so hes gonna be sore like that for the first 8 weeks or so

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:35 AM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke2k View Post
Recently I've been able to join a gym again, and have been putting more time into my legwork to help with my play.

Just wanted to get some opinions on what type of squat program some of you might use or have used, and have seen results with. Right now I'm about 4 weeks in to it, and generally do 5 sets/12 reps per, with a weight that makes the last 3 reps fairly tough. I think one week I went heavier and did 8 reps per set. I'm still acclimating to it and my recovery is going a bit faster this week than the last few. Right now I only can do legs 1 day a week, as the recovery takes several days.

Now I do other leg exercises too and deadlifts, cardio, etc... but the squats are the core of the strength workout for me. Any advice or info on reps/sets/frequency, etc....would be appreciated. Thanks!
If you are building strength in your legs you need to go heavier with fewer reps. If you want to do 5 sets, you should be doing a weight where you can only do 5 reps. 3 sets of 8 or 10 are about as many as you should do. Your 5 sets of 12 is too much, especially if you are incorporating some other exercises.

You can also do variations on the squat to get some single leg work in. One that I like is the bulgarian squat. You take two dumbbells, put your leg up behind you on a bench and then squat with your front leg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwGF8sHONDE Remember to sit back into your squats to really work your glutes.

Another way to hit your quads is to do a front squat. It's easier on the back, but you will have to lower your weight.

Research plyometrics. They will really help your hockey game too.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
yeah but he basically just started working out like 4 weeks ago so hes gonna be sore like that for the first 8 weeks or so
Only if you're doing it wrong.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
RaoulDuke2k

I tend to agree with Justin - my form is decent now, I've actually asked a few trainers to watch and they gave me some adjustments. The muscle soreness is the good kind for sure. I think I might be turning the corner this week as I'm recovering faster. It's been about 4 years since I've done any heavy leg work.

Next time out, I'll lower the reps with heavier weight. I'm careful with my knees so I didn't want to load up until I got the joints and ligaments up to speed.

My other exercises include leg press, incline hack press, and usually a dumbell lunge or single leg press. I only do about 3 sets per on those though. I'll end with some time on the bike to loosen up the legs.

That Bulgarian squat looks good - I'll try it. I like that it has the balance in there as well. I'll try the Front Squat at some point too. Last time out, I managed to really shred the quads on the leg press by adjusting my foot positioning.

I had a good Plyo routine someone of this board gave me last summer. I drifted away from it but saw some benefits when I was doing it regularly. Even last game, I saw the difference from 4 weeks - my legs felt really good in the 3rd period and had far less lag in my foot speed.

Do you think I could work up to doing the legs 2 times a week? Would that be too much?

Old
03-31-2010, 01:14 PM
West

Speaking as someone on the older side lots of reps and fewer sets is a good way to keep from getting hurt. I'd recommend 2-3 sets of 20.

Also your legs should be far and away the strongest mucsle group so you should be working them at least every second time out at the gym.

Last probably the most important thing to remember about form for squats is that at the bottom of the squat your knees should be the same distance apart as at the top. If they are kind of frogging out (seperating) at the bottom of the squat you are doing the excercise wrong/going to low. I couldn't think of a better way of describing this but if it's your problem you will recognize it.

West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
RaoulDuke2k

yeah, I'm on the older side too - 38. I'm in decent shape aerobically and not overweight though.

At the bottom of the Squat, I try to go parallel (or a bit less) with my legs to the ground and not beyond. It's like I'm sitting on a stool.

From how I feel today, I might be able to start doing 2 a week within a few weeks. I worked legs on Monday, and already I feel like I'm on the downslope of the recovery.

Btw, has anyone had any luck with Hang Cleans? I wanted to get in better shape before trying those, but they seem like a great hybrid of strength and explosiveness.

Old
03-31-2010, 02:38 PM
rinkrat22

Do some google(ing) on power lifting and Olympic lifts. Lots of great multi joint exercises out there. train your body in multiple planes. Check out kettlebells, The TRX trainer, dont get stuck with one exercise, keep your body guessing.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote