HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ken daneyko ?'s sheldon souray's commitment to winning...

Old
02-07-2010, 09:58 PM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think Souray has looked disinterested the times I have seen the Oilers this year.

I'm all for athletes making as much money as they can. But I think that also requires them to play like they care.
this is true, but so has the entire team... dustin penner looks completely disinterested

the only player that is really showing anything is Sam Gagner

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:59 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
In this case, I think it goes to the topic at hand.

I question the commitment to winning of anyone who lets substance abuse take over their life, and possibly affect their performance on the ice. And I have a problem when someone who did that takes a shot at someone else's professional commitments.
I agree with this totally. I've got nothing against Daneyko, but when I guy who struggled with substance abuse during his career calls out another player's commitment, it's the pot calling the kettle black.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:40 PM
rs180216

Send a message via AIM to rs180216
Quote:

I question the commitment to winning of anyone who lets substance abuse take over their life, and possibly affect their performance on the ice. And I have a problem when someone who did that takes a shot at someone else's professional commitments.
i doubt you know **** about the nature of addiction. someone who lets substance abuse take over their life? are you kidding me? get a a clue man some people who struggle with addiction would tear you to pieces for remarks like that. you shouldn't make comments like that until you truly understand what you are talking about. you are embarrassing yourself and insulting many others. I STRONGLY suggest you not talk about addicts so pejoratively. get off your high horse

rs180216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
I think Souray has looked disinterested the times I have seen the Oilers this year.

I'm all for athletes making as much money as they can. But I think that also requires them to play like they care.
Agreed. That last game he played when he injured his wrist was the worst game I've ever seen him play.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Kenny was teammates with the man so maybe he knows something we don't. However, I don't think it was cool to say that publicly.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I would not go as far as did Daneyko, but I do find the list of teams confusing. On the one hand, he's expressed a preference to play near his estranged family, while on the other, there is a smattering of ultra-competitive teams smack on the Eastern seaboard, as far as humanly possible from his family. The list seems a little haphazard.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Heat McManus

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Rangers being on Souray's list of teams he'd accept a trade to.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Silly Goose

Daneyko did not mention anything at all about $. His quote was something to the effect of "he is interested in other things more than winning". It was kinda vague liek that, no real substance added to the statemenr. I don't know what thats about, prob the family issue, becuase Sheldon's contract is already signed. no matter where he plays he's making the same aount of money.

I really don't know Kenny D's basis for the statement.

Silly Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Daneyko is right.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

SS is recovering from an concussion from early in the year, and I think it's impacting his play. The Oilers are such a train wreck, and no one is going to look good when the team is struggling that bad. That's something that Daneyko should know a lot about considering his first 10 years in the league.

I find it ironic that a former player would call out someone for going someplace to maximize his value? And when the Oilers signed SS, they were only one year removed from playing the Stanley Cup Finals.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:18 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Daneyko is right.
He is. Daneyko was Souray's teammate for 4 years. He should have an idea of what motivates him.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:20 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Daneyko was Souray's teammate. Chances are, he knows more about him than you do.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mose Schrute View Post
Daneyko did not mention anything at all about $. His quote was something to the effect of "he is interested in other things more than winning". It was kinda vague liek that, no real substance added to the statemenr. I don't know what thats about, prob the family issue, becuase Sheldon's contract is already signed. no matter where he plays he's making the same aount of money.

I really don't know Kenny D's basis for the statement.
If that's the case, it could be anything, even caring about his family more than being on a winning team.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:21 AM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
I need to see/hear Daneyko's comments. He may simply making a comment that Souray is preoccupied with other things like family or personal issues. Many here have jumped to the conclusion that Daneyko has questioned Souray's character, but that may not be the case.

And whoever brings up Daneyko's problems is a fool. What does that have to do with this?

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I would not go as far as did Daneyko, but I do find the list of teams confusing. On the one hand, he's expressed a preference to play near his estranged family, while on the other, there is a smattering of ultra-competitive teams smack on the Eastern seaboard, as far as humanly possible from his family. The list seems a little haphazard.
Anaheim and LA were gimmes, but aside from that, all 6 are in pretty big US markets. Souray always struck me as a spotlight kinda guy.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Habs killer

how did daneyko last in the NHL as long as did? & how did he have his number retired by the devils? his numbers made him seem very replaceable.

Habs killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs killer View Post
how did daneyko last in the NHL as long as did? & how did he have his number retired by the devils? his numbers made him seem very replaceable.
He was replacable...for a fantasy league team.

This is the NHL. One needs to look beyond the ****ing numbers.

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:03 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:

WOW. You've gotta be either 12 years old or a TV Evangelical. Get off your high horse bud.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Randal Graves
HFBoards Minecraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
He was replacable...for a fantasy league team.

This is the NHL. One needs to look beyond the ****ing numbers.
Amen.

I'm starting to wonder how much "substance abuse" is going on around these boards. People need to learn to just shut the **** up when they don't know about something. Unfortunately, they instead prefer to look like idiots just so they can get their post count up.

To answer the original, brilliant question, Daneyko's name is in the rafters because he represents how hard work, dedication and loyalty to the team (regardless of personal stats) gets rewarded. His name is up there so that all the guys who most people on these boards would call plugs (or "useless") understand that they are appreciated and that their contributions win championships even if most of these armchair GM's don't notice it, the Devils do.

That's what being a team first organization is all about.. at least that's what its like when you actually practice what you preach unlike some other organizations.

Randal Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Habs killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs View Post
Amen.

I'm starting to wonder how much "substance abuse" is going on around these boards. People need to learn to just shut the **** up when they don't know about something. Unfortunately, they instead prefer to look like idiots just so they can get their post count up.

To answer the original, brilliant question, Daneyko's name is in the rafters because he represents how hard work, dedication and loyalty to the team (regardless of personal stats) gets rewarded. His name is up there so that all the guys who most people on these boards would call plugs (or "useless") understand that they are appreciated and that their contributions win championships even if most of these armchair GM's don't notice it, the Devils do.

That's what being a team first organization is all about.. at least that's what its like when you actually practice what you preach unlike some other organizations.
would like to think your not making assumptions on me cheech. Its def a rare bird to go the rafters, primarily based soley on a players intangible assets. I'll prb should have just stated that than ask.

Habs killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Randal Graves
HFBoards Minecraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs killer View Post
would like to think your not making assumptions on me cheech. Its def a rare bird to go the rafters, primarily based soley on a players intangible assets. I'll prb should have just stated that than ask.
My first paragraph was certainly speaking to a larger audience.. so no I am not insinuating a substance abuse problem on your part, but I did make assumptions about the quality of your question. Perhaps different phrasing (as you suggested) would have made the question less.. inflammatory to me.

Yes, he is a "rare bird" to go to the rafters, but the Devils are a rare organization.

also.. cheech?

Randal Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs View Post
Amen.

I'll agree it was a classy move for the Devil's to retire KD's number, but what does that have to do with Daneyko calling Souray out though? So they were teammates for a while 10+ years ago, that give KD the right call him out about wanting to get paid what he can?

I didn't see the comment, so I have no idea what the "tone" was. KD could have just been alluding to the fact that SS wants to remain close to his family (if possible) in a deal, and the basis of the thread (SS is a money grubbing slug) is way off base.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:42 PM
MerryJ99

Of course he is all about the money right now, the Oilers are not winning anything but a 1st or 2nd overall pick right now. Besides Souray isn't even playing right now.

I should also add that Souray does not strike me as a money first guy, until the Oilers started to lose every game he played with a lot of passion.

Last edited by MerryJ99: 02-08-2010 at 06:06 PM.
MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Crusty Quinn

Souray is a lot of things, but he is not all about the $$$. Last season when we were ****ting the bed every game Souray always put in a strong effort.

Crusty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
RevenueSharing*

people with substance abuse problems have no one to blame but themselves! why the hell should we show compassion to alcoholics?

So yah Daneyko is a drunk and Souray is pylon. Everyone happy now?

RevenueSharing* is offline   Reply With Quote