HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto- Philly

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Tripod

vCash: 500
I just wish everone would realize that for the Flyers, they have 2 elite prospects that are head and shoulders above their other prospects. They are JVR and Giroux. These 2 are untouchable due to their huge upside and cheap contracts. This is why every Flyer fan gets PO'd whenever other teams do proposals for them. Is Kaberle good? Yes...very good. But we added Pronger...we have no need for a #2/#3 d-man...we need a #5(and of course the cheaper contract). I am just getting so tired of the Kaberle to Flyers proposals...so please...just stop.

Old
02-07-2010, 06:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I said one of those guys or carter would have to go back. However it doesnt man atlanta would want one of those guys, exlcuding carter. Why wouldnt they take briere or gagne? Gee i dont know maybe they are overpaid and they dont want any high ticket players. Maybe they are on the downside of their career and dont want to be stuck with them. As for why wouldnt they want hartnell? What value does hartnell at 4.5mm add to their team? Is he going to help them win games?

Shooter wouldnt be doing his job regardless who may have had to go as he talks to gm's daily. You have your opinion and i have mine. No biggie.
Just like Gomez was overpaid? Oh wait... and he's considered by some on the downside of his career. Ever since the Gomez trade, people are starting to realize anything happens, no matter what how overpaid a player is.

You think Belfores (spelling?) and Oduya are gonna do a better job winning them games?

I know we have different opinions, I just dont understand how you think Gagne/Hartnell/Briere have, pretty much, no trade value....

Old
02-07-2010, 06:09 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Just like Gomez was overpaid? Oh wait... and he's considered by some on the downside of his career. Ever since the Gomez trade, people are starting to realize anything happens, no matter what how overpaid a player is.

You think Belfores (spelling?) and Oduya are gonna do a better job winning them games?

I know we have different opinions, I just dont understand how you think Gagne/Hartnell/Briere have, pretty much, no trade value....
To a team like atlanta they dont have any trade value. They gain little by taking on their contracts. No they are not going to do a better job helping them win games now but. They make much less and may or may not help them more in the future. Briere and gagne are nto what atlanta needed.

So what value do you think they have? What teams will take on their contrac without the flyers taking back an equally bad one?

Old
02-07-2010, 06:15 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
and it was reported that they wouldn't trade either for Kovalchuk, so if offense is their first need it would seem that at this point they're pretty untouchable

Flyers need to work out the kinks, they don't need an addition of some big offensive player. They have plenty of guys who can produce who aren't producing. They need to do what it takes to try and get them going, adding one big offensive guy won't turn that around.
The Flyers weren't willing to give up assets for one playoff run with Kovy. I hope we don't end up signing him this off season either because he is not worth 1/5 of our cap space.

Old
02-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Machinae

Wow this deal is awful. Leafs give up one of the best puck movers in the league for garbage.

Old
02-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Cappo40*

Giroux's not going anywhere for Philly...Hartnell can be had (according to some places)...Coburn I don't follow, so I don't know how he is playing..

Old
02-07-2010, 06:48 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
Wow this deal is awful. Leafs give up one of the best puck movers in the league for garbage.
HAHAHAHAH

Giroux...garbage, lol

Old
02-07-2010, 06:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
We will keep Giroux then

You keep that top puckmover in the league

Old
02-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
We will keep Giroux then

You keep that top puckmover in the league
You sir are 100% correct

Old
02-07-2010, 10:05 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Carle and coburn are playing top 4 roles by default. Carle is not a top 4 guy imo and corbun isnt either right now. Kaberle is head and shulders better than both of them. If the flyers were a kaberle away from what they thought was winning the cup, then yes giroux or jv would be included in a deal that was proposed for kaberle and poni. However they are not a player away and i hope shooter doesnt think they are. You have to give to get and people fail to realize that. Right now i dont do the deal but it isnt a bad value wise.
The point is not that all 4 are better then Kaberle (they're not), it's that the 1 thing this team DOES NOT NEED is a top-4 DMan. If one were to fall from the sky, that would be terrific. But it's certainly not worth the assets it would cost to get one when there are far more important holes to fill.

No one fails to realize you have to give to get. You fail to realize that the cost in getting Kaberle makes it a net-negative when you consider what Toronto would be right to expect to get in a trade for him.

Old
02-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps View Post
Philly balked? or Atlanta balked and wanted ready NHL players and not prospects and picks...

i'd trade Giroux or JVR plus 1st and another prospect in a heartbeat for Kovy
Have you seen our salary cap situation recently? Philly balked because we are not giving up Giroux or JVR for a rental. Plain and simple.

Facepalm yourself.

Old
02-08-2010, 12:40 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
This is based on IF Kaberle waives his NTC. (I know, a big IF)

To Philadelphia:
A. Ponikarovsky
T. Kaberle

To Toronto:
S.Hartnell (somewhat of a salary dump)
C.Giroux
B.Coburn/1st in 2010

Thoughts? Suggestions?
This trade is terrible for my flyers

Old
02-08-2010, 12:41 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
The point is not that all 4 are better then Kaberle (they're not), it's that the 1 thing this team DOES NOT NEED is a top-4 DMan. If one were to fall from the sky, that would be terrific. But it's certainly not worth the assets it would cost to get one when there are far more important holes to fill.

No one fails to realize you have to give to get. You fail to realize that the cost in getting Kaberle makes it a net-negative when you consider what Toronto would be right to expect to get in a trade for him.
Carle is amazing

Old
02-08-2010, 12:43 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
yeah, no

Old
02-08-2010, 12:43 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Flyers need to add scoring not shop it out or break even at best. They need to add a PF like Poni but not at the expense of the only other PF they have in Hartnell.

Flyers don't have the cap space or draft picks to add Poni without a player being sent back.
Maybe...
Poni + Stempniak
Gagne + Asham
Good work I like that trade

Old
02-08-2010, 12:45 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
yeah, no
he made like 3 mistakes that led to goals this season and hes still young

Old
02-08-2010, 02:21 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Ouch. Talk about getting shafted.

02-08-2010, 03:32 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Carle and coburn are playing top 4 roles by default. Carle is not a top 4 guy imo and corbun isnt either right now.

Kaberle is head and shulders better than both of them.
Carle and Coburn are both legit 3-4 defensemen, right now. Both have some upside to them yet as well. How good do you want your second pairing defense men to be honestly? I feel like lots of Flyers fans that don't really know hockey watch Timonen and Pronger and notice the sizable gap between their two best defensemen and the rest of the corp, and just figure the rest of the guys are trash because they have identifiable flaws. Carle and Coburn aren't bad second pairing guys at all, Timonen and Pronger as just really, really good first pairing guys.

Kaberle's skill with the puck is not debatable, and he also skates well. But I don't think he is any better than those two once the opponent has the zone, and those guys aren't exactly awful transition defenders.

Old
02-08-2010, 06:03 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
By far the dumbest post i've ever read. Giroux is a first line centre, but Kaberle who has the second most points among defenseman on a team that isn't exactly a great scoring cast is just ridiculous.

Hartnell +/- is Poni, the only difference is Hartnell is making $4.2 million while Poni is obviously making less and comes of the books, you'll need money at some point to sign the JVR, Giroux, Emery, Coburn's of the world.

It was also 1st/Coburn, while that might be a bit extreme I think a second is about fair.
okay you didnt see what i did there. in toronto giroux immediately becomes the number 1 setup guy for kessell in phily kaberle is the 3rd best d-man. hed be the fourth best defensively and him and kimo are playing similar minutes. kimo has a talent for covering other guys defensive liabilities which kabere has continually shown himself to have.

hartnell as a straight dump is poni and coming off the books doesnt do any good when your trying to add depth. the flyers come out of this deal with one year of a player we neither want nor need.

Old
02-08-2010, 07:31 AM
RhyZa

I can see Philly fans getting bent out of shape over Giroux, but Hartnell or Coburn have limited value.

Old
02-08-2010, 07:35 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhyZa View Post
I can see Philly fans getting bent out of shape over Giroux, but Hartnell or Coburn have limited value.
It doesn't matter.

The Flyers still give up all these assets for basically nothing.

Old
02-08-2010, 09:18 AM
RhyZa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It doesn't matter.

The Flyers still give up all these assets for basically nothing.
By all I take it you mean Giroux.

If Kaberle is nothing, I don't know what Hartnell and Coburn are.

Old
02-08-2010, 09:21 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
By all I take it you mean Giroux.

If Kaberle is nothing, I don't know what Hartnell and Coburn are.
Hartnell and Coburn are locked up longer than a year. Granted, Coburn is an RFA, but my point remains true.

Kaberle is a bargain for a 1/4 season + playoffs this year and one more year before he turns into nothing at a position we don't need. Poni is a good forward who is arguably an upgrade to Hartnell but is off to the market this offseason.

Once again, the Flyers give up all these assets for nothing.

Old
02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
RhyZa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Hartnell and Coburn are locked up longer than a year. Granted, Coburn is an RFA, but my point remains true.

Kaberle is a bargain for a 1/4 season + playoffs this year and one more year before he turns into nothing at a position we don't need. Poni is a good forward who is arguably an upgrade to Hartnell but is off to the market this offseason.

Once again, the Flyers give up all these assets for nothing.
I guess I'll agree to disagree that lesser players, one borderline overpaid, the other who struggled immensely for a good part of the season are worth more than 2 better players because they're locked up to longer terms. If Coburn and Hartnell fit the needs for the Flyers better I guess that would make sense, but removing Giroux from the deal makes it a laughable deal for the Leafs.

Old
02-08-2010, 09:30 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I guess I'll agree to disagree that lesser players, one borderline overpaid, the other who struggled immensely for a good part of the season are worth more than 2 better players because they're locked up to longer terms. If Coburn and Hartnell fit the needs for the Flyers better I guess that would make sense, but removing Giroux from the deal makes it a laughable deal for the Leafs.
Not really. You're likely about to lose Poni I assume, and Kaberle isn't going to be there forever.

Let me put it this way. The Flyers wouldn't move Giroux for a rental like Kovalchuk. Why would they move him for a rental and a borderline rental that don't come anywhere close to filling the need that Kovalchuk would have?

Hartnell + Coburn for Kaberle + Poni benefits the Flyers short-term and hurts the Flyers long-term.
Hartnell + Coburn + Giroux for Kaberle + Poni hurts the Flyers short-term and hurts the Flyers long-term.

No playoff team trades youth just to downgrade for a postseason run. It's the epitome of dumb move. Maybe a GM trying to destroy a team before leaving would make such a stupid trade, but that deal is beyond laughably in favor of the Leafs. It might actually be the most insane deal in the history of the NHL.

Last edited by CS: 02-08-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Closed Thread