HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

New TV Announcer?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2004, 08:26 AM
barnburner

vCash: 500
New TV Announcer?

During his last Friday show on KFNS, Ken Wilson said that the end of the past Blues season, leaves him without a contract, and he stated that there was a good chance that it was his last radio show in St. Louis.
Dan Caesar's column in the Post says that Wilson, John Kelly and Dan Kelly are all without contracts at the end of this years playoffs.
It would not suprise me at all to see a change behind the microphone for the Blues next season. When Wilson stays focused on the game, he is an excellent pbp man. Unfortunately, he has the same problem he had as a baseball announcer - he gets bored and then bores the audience with his pointless rambling. Besides - how are we going to break the Detroit jinx when our pbp man is a Detroit area native?
Blues ownership/management and Fox Sports, will certainly be looking at ways to try and renew interest in the Blues next season, and bringing in one of the Kelly boys might be one of the moves they will make. At least I hope so.

Last edited by barnburner: 04-24-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old
04-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Tiger Williams

With all due respect to the Kelly family, because Dan Sr. was like a god to me, I find both John and Dan Jr. to be annoying announcers. I don't know who I'd like to see behind the mic doing the Blues games, but I for one am hoping its neither of them.

Old
04-24-2004, 07:40 PM
DougKnowsBest

i dont think you would here any of us crying if our kelly boy goes home.

Old
04-26-2004, 07:25 AM
degroat*

As long as Bernie is out as the color guy, I'll be happy. Well, as long as Kerbs doesn't get the TV gig.

Old
04-27-2004, 01:28 AM
dirt

What's wrong with Kerbs?

Old
04-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Lisa Bluenote

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt
What's wrong with Kerbs?
Maybe without Chase at his side, Kerber might not be too annoying ... but when I'm "forced" to listen on the radio, I get the impression that I'm listening to two good old boys having a few yucks rather than to a hockey game. I'll admit that I rarely if ever listen to a game on the radio, so I might be drawing my conclusions from too small a sample size, but that's my "beef" with Kerber.

Carry on!
Lisa

Old
04-27-2004, 08:11 AM
barnburner

During Kerber's first season here, I couldn't stand listening to him call a game. He still has a long way to go in improving his play by play, but for whatever reason, I don't mind listening to him near as much as I did previously. Don't know if it's because he has improved, or if it's just that I got used to his style? Anyway - One thing I do like about Kerbs is his passion for the Blues, and his willingness to speak his mind. He is not afraid to criticize the play of Blues players when it is warranted, and has taken the local media to task a couple of times for their apathy regarding the Blues.
Strangely enough, Kerb's pbp style might work better on tv than it does on radio. His "weakness" seems to be leaving gaps in his pbp description, and not telling the score. I've always thought that television pbp people should talk less and let the action tell the story, so it would be interesting to see how Kerber would do on a tv broadcast. Of course, on the other hand - it might be a disaster!

Old
04-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
As Mrs. IB and others have said: Good riddance to Ken Wilson. At least we won't have to hear him drool over the Red Wings every time they play the Blues.

He was great in the early 90s, but his "Oh, Baby!" schtick got in the way at times and his play-by-play seems too contrived at times. Early on you could tell he and Bernie were clashing during a game, but that smoothed over for the most part. However...I think it is time for a new TV guy.

I'll also agree about Kerber...I wasn't a huge fan of his when he started, but I like him more and more now. Definitely a huge improvement over Dan Kelly Jr.

05-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Yeah...it's dragging up an old thread, but I think Wilson's comments in the Saturday paper were interesting.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Blues/C9AF6D4BF3F3509386256E96000A8CD6?OpenDocument&Head line=Wilson+saga%3A+What+we've+got+here+is+a+huge+ failure+to+commun&highlight=2%2Cken%2Cwilson

Essentially, he said that he'd been planning on leaving for 3 years now, and had the Blues given him a better send-off he'd have helped spin the story more positively...but since they didn't give him a hearty handshake for 20 years of service, he decided to go out with a bang.

Good-bye, Ken....maybe you'll get better support as govenor of Hawaii.

Old
05-17-2004, 04:29 PM
barnburner

Welcome to the real world Ken...
Apparently Wilson doesnt know that real people (making much, much less than him) get fired, laid off, etc. every day and nobody from the home office goes out of their way to soothe their ego.
Perhaps if Wilson had given the effort in his job that other broadcasters do regularly, the Blues might have been more inclined to make his departure look a bit better for him.
With Wilson's apparent baby thin feelings, he won't last thru breakfast in the world of politics.

Closed Thread