HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Niclas Wallin and a 5th traded to San Jose for Buffalo's 2nd

Old
02-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Sens1Canes2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Draft picks are so overrated around here. Yes, it could be big for helping to reload our system... or we could go and spend it on another Harrison Reed.
I agree with this sentiment. This deal isn't really worth a until we see who is signed as a FA during the offseason. A second rounder ain't gonna replace Wallin right away. Presumably there will be one or two signings...right? I mean, you lose Wallin, Whitney, Cullen, Corvo, and Walker. That's a lot of money available to sign 1 or 2 good players, then plug in a couple of the kids.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
That's exactly what I'm hoping happens as well. Use whoever we draft in the top 5 prettymuch immediately. Hall and Fowler are definitely ready, and Seguin, Gudbranson and Gormley are damn close if they're not. Use a good chunk of change to pick up some guys along the Frolov, Hamhuis, Mitchell, Seidenberg lines. Then bring in the kids to round out the roster and gain experience. We're not that far from being competitive again, we just need to get out from some of the bad contracts and keep giving our prospects the chance to develop that we have been doing over the past couple seasons.

But as you said, a 2nd rounder is just that. Shy of the rare player like O'Reilly or Bergeron they're not going to jump right to the NHL and do well. They're likely 2-3 seasons away, at the least. JR isn't in this for a long term rebuild.

But here are the numbers on draft picks using players selected from the 90s:
1st round - 63% chance of playing 200+ NHL games
2nd round - 25% chance of playing 200+ NHL games
3rd and beyond - 12% chance of playing 200+ NHL games

do I think drafting, and in particular our drafting, has improved since then? yes
do I think this data is relevant? absolutely

it's also data that is ignored greatly by those on HF.

Last edited by DaveG: 02-07-2010 at 10:24 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:33 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
Philippe Paradis x4

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:48 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Common, San Jose 2nd > Buffalo 2nd.

Thanks, Wallin and good luck.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
So right now, as of today, we have three picks in the Top 60. Probably about 3rd to 5th, 33rd to 35th, and 50th to 55th.

If we can pick up another 25th to 30th pick for Whitney, that would be 4 picks in the Top 50-55. You could totally rebuild your system with that kind of draft if you do it right.
If you do it right.....yeah, like we are capable of that...LOL

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I figure this year we will start making "safer" picks as apposed to going off the board for guys like Paradis. I think JR has learned his lesson. I want Tyler Seguin so bad....I swear if we get the chance to draft him we better.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
I hope Peters plays in the rest of the games this season and he wins 8 games. That way we will surely get one of the top 3 picks. People just dont understand how important it is to be REALLY bad when you are going to be bad. Finishing 17 every year is completely useless. You end up with 20 Joe Vasicek's on your team. BRUTAL!

Old
02-07-2010, 11:42 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
I hope Peters plays in the rest of the games this season and he wins 8 games. That way we will surely get one of the top 3 picks. People just dont understand how important it is to be REALLY bad when you are going to be bad. Finishing 17 every year is completely useless. You end up with 20 Joe Vasicek's on your team. BRUTAL!
That is not at all the case. I fully understand the value of a top 3 pick. But I want Peters and Legace to win every game they start. The odds of that happening, on the other hand...

And do not discount the value of later picks. Travis Zajac, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Anze Koptiar, Marc Staal, Justin Williams, Cam Ward, Anton Volchenkov all say hey.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I would say we're almost a lock to pick Top 5. As long as we do that, we'll be fine with the player we get. It's pretty hard to mess those up to be honest.

2009: Tavares, Duchene, Hedman, Kane, and B. Schenn
2008: Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, and L. Schenn
2007: Kane, Van Riemsdyk, Turris, Hickey, Alzner
2006: E. Johnson, Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel
2005: Crosby, Ryan, J. Johnson, Pouliot, Price
2004: Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Ladd, Wheeler

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 01:09 AM
bleedgreen

farewell "hot potato". your ot breakaway goal against the devils shall be my favorite and lasting memory, not any of the pucks that bounced off your stick like bricks. you were reliable and hard working, and a good team guy. as a good a compliment any player could ask for. a truly top notch draft pick by a group ive mocked ceaselessly about drafting for 15 years.

Old
02-08-2010, 01:11 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
That is not at all the case. I fully understand the value of a top 3 pick. But I want Peters and Legace to win every game they start. The odds of that happening, on the other hand...

And do not discount the value of later picks. Travis Zajac, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Anze Koptiar, Marc Staal, Justin Williams, Cam Ward, Anton Volchenkov all say hey.
the only way to hedge our bets and get an actual player, is to be a top 3 picker - the years have not been kind to us elsewhere, sutter withstanding.

Old
02-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Tealblood

glad to hear so many good things from the fans who actually watch him. So many SJ fans(including myself at first) seem to want another big name deadline aquisition, but what has that really done for us? Absolutely nothing...brian campbell, selanne, guerin...all busts in the playoffs. Wallin seems like a guy who'll actually work a little magic in the playoffs for us haha.

The picks, basically seem more like a 3rd for a late 4th if you ask me...I mean buffalo's gonna be a way late 2nd, and your guyses 5th is close to being a 4th Not bad at all. I'm psyched to see what he can do in teal.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:44 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Good luck Nic and thanks! Hopefully this pays off for him and SJ with a Stanley Cup victory. He took a lot of flak for his contract and NTC but for whatever reason he decided to go to SJ and I wish him the very best. The Secret Weapon won't be forgotten amongst Canes fans, that's for sure.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:58 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Oh darn, more reason to cheer against Buffalo.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:32 AM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Oh darn, more reason to cheer against Buffalo.
Like we need one... I had my canes jersey hanging prominently in my window this weekend.

Oh, and good luck to Wallin. I hope he scores a few playoff OT goals on the way to the cup.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:59 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Any chance Wallin to back here next season? I'm surprised he waive this NTC to go in Sharks without to sign extension. Maybe he waive it because JR promise to bring him back here in offseason.

Old
02-08-2010, 05:07 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Any chance Wallin to back here next season? I'm surprised he waive this NTC to go in Sharks without to sign extension. Maybe he waive it because JR promise to bring him back here in offseason.
I really don't see that happening. Everybody that has been quoted about this story that is "in the know", has mentioned Wallin's tenure here with an air of finality like he's not going to be returning here.

Plus, with all the guys needing to get in the lineup for next year at some point (McBain, Carson, Borer, and potentially Rodney), it really is time to move forward.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:16 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I really don't see that happening. Everybody that has been quoted about this story that is "in the know", has mentioned Wallin's tenure here with an air of finality like he's not going to be returning here.

Plus, with all the guys needing to get in the lineup for next year at some point (McBain, Carson, Borer, and potentially Rodney), it really is time to move forward.
Don't forget Fowler and eventually Bellemore. I doubt for Bellemore but he's very solid for Albany. Our defense for next season is big question, this is the most interesting story for me. I believe in Jimmy but you know him and... yeah, there's a little chance Wallin to be here next season too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JT Express View Post
DW has always said that he never trades for anyone that he doesn't mean to offer a contract after the season is over. He also has tended to not want to negotiate contracts during the season. I'm thinking that Wallin and DW have an understanding that an extension will be in the works after the season is over contingent upon how Wallin does in the playoffs.
I see this now. It's a interesting. I don't have problem with Sharks and i will be happy if they going far this year. I just don't see how they can honestly. You can't believe in defense with elite defenseman in Boyle and nothing more. Overrated kid in Vlasic, #4 in Murray, done Blake and solid bottom pair with Wallin and Huskins. And for sure, Thornton, Heatley - proven chokers. Not enough secondary scoring. I'm not a big fan of this bottom 6 too. They are great now but playoffs in other story... Sharks still need some help. Maybe we will see another trades from them in deadline.

Old
02-08-2010, 06:49 AM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Nice, kinda sucks about Wallin playing for another team, but it's for the best. Best of luck to him, I'll be rooting for them in the west.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:55 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
I don't see the 2nd round pick's value as a prospect, I see it more as trade bait for higher picks.
Or part of a deal for a NHL-ready player in trade. Many knock Canes management for missing so many prospects when picking outside of the top 3, but I'll go out on a limb and say that JR and staff have a pretty good record in trading picks for NHL-ready players.

Anyway, that second could very well bring back something nice in trade.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I wonder if Nic going with no extension in place and him talking about the opportunity to play for another Stanley Cup, will give Ray, I don't want to call it motivation... that's not the word, but, maybe a little push to do the same? Seeing a guy like Nic waive and pack his bags is likely a bit of an eye opener for those in the room. Everyone knows he loves/loved it here, has been asked to waive his NTC before but declined, etc. The guys know the situation of the team and as much water as NTC hold, I think the guys will do what's best for the team and franchise at this point. These guys all respect JR and the organization and I just have to believe extension or no extension for #13, we'll see him go before the Olympic trade freeze.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
snakepliskin

c ya nick! hope you get the cupp this year-and will never forget the playoff goals in 02-!

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 50
Looks like Nic will be thrown right into the fire tonight... He's on the top line with Boyle. Also, Dwight Helminen was called up and will also play tonight. Someone have JR's number? I think he should see if the Sharks have any interest in Cole joining his old friends as well...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

If they are playing him on the top pairing, then I would expect the already nervous Sharks fans to turn rather quickly on Wallin. They traded for a 5/6 guy, not a #2.

02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Thats how bad their D corps is....Wallin playing in the top pairing is a bad sign for the rest of your team.