HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#57: Devils @ Flyers - February 8, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
02-09-2010, 12:40 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Until and unless you get a better response, I'm pretty sure VERSUS will replay the game at 4:30 PM (ET) Tuesday afternoon. Maybe you can record it?
I may be wrong about this but I think NHLnetwork will sometimes replay games that are on versus the following day after NHL Live at 2 PM.
I am not certian on the versus replay the next day. It may be a condensed 2 hour version.

edit: I just saw the lineup for Tuesday. its Kings@Ducks for the replay on NHL network at 2 PM

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 02-09-2010 at 01:01 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:45 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 500
I just watched the highlights, I commend Leighton for his left handed larceny. Some of the other goals though... yikes.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:29 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
I think that Leights save helped turn the momentum of this game. I definitely think players can get stoked when they see the goalie flash some leather and make a great save.

In other news, this is the kind of W I've been waiting to see from this team. Fall behind by two to a divisional opponent, and come back from behind to win. It shows character, something they lacked horribly under Stone-face Stevens. I think their chances of winning the cup this year are sub 5%, but next year, assuming they keep the core together, I think they've got as good a shot as anybody at taking the whole thing. I'd say greater than 20%.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:09 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

the 2 points is nice, but they really need to build off this and get some wins before the Olympic break. Gotta win these games in hand as well.
Leighton did have the glove hand working tonight no doubt but his positioning on the first goal was terrible. But he did more then make up for it after that.

Old
02-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
the 2 points is nice, but they really need to build off this and get some wins before the Olympic break. Gotta win these games in hand as well.
Leighton did have the glove hand working tonight no doubt but his positioning on the first goal was terrible. But he did more then make up for it after that.
With the assistance of Coburn letting Elias walk through him.

Seriously, is someone going to tell Coburn to stop watching the puck in one-on-one D at some point?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 02:21 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
With the assistance of Coburn letting Elias walk through him.

Seriously, is someone going to tell Coburn to stop watching the puck in one-on-one D at some point?
I dont think hes ever going to get it. At least not here. He is making simple fundamental mistakes. The kind of mistakes you are taught in juniors not to make for God sakes.

Old
02-09-2010, 07:03 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
There's a thread on the main board about the Carter hit. Somehow, I made it to about the 5th page. It's the kind of thread that will make you realize that it's time for an agonizing reappraisal of your whole situation. Should you be spending time out of your day browsing hfboards? Should you continue frequenting this site when there is that much stupidity running rampant? It's a site about hockey, and when that many people on it have that skewed of a perception about hockey...is it really worth your time?

It sucks, cuz on one hand I really enjoy this site...there are some great posters and posts to be read...tons of info, and some quality humor. But, on the other hand, the frequency with which I find myself trying to figure out whether I'm reading the post of some 10-year old kid, or a challenged adult...well, it's just a little much at times.

Anyone else ever find themselves wondering when they're reading some downright moronic post if it's some 5th grader sitting at his computer on the other end of it? I wonder that all the time on this site...not that someone younger could never have anything worthwhile to offer...it's just that, as a 26-year old, I'd hope that the majority of the posters on this site aren't in elementary or middle school, ya know? And sometimes, I'm not so sure.

I know, I know...you're gonna say something like, "That's why I don't go on the main boards." But I'm not going to be shortsighted enough to think that such stupidity is nowhere to be found on the Flyers board. It's everywhere, in every fanbase. And if that hit had gone the other way, I'm sure there'd have unfortunately been plenty of Flyers fans making ridiculous comments along the lines of those in that Carter thread.

Alright, enough of my whiny rambling, haha...sorry folks...back to discussing a wonderful game that went a long ways towards restoring some faith in the Flyers faithful. So damn awesome to watch a comeback win of that sort.

i think its a general disagreement among fans on what part of the game they are a fan of. the league has made an effort to expand the fanbase and sell the product in a certain way. removing the obstruction alot of guys said "ooh pretty skating" and some said "yeah higher speed collisions" and then theres gotta be a balance between the two. to me that was a great play. great goal great hit it had all the elements that make hockey great. its a shame he got hurt but those are the hazards of a collision sport. i think when they oversell it as a finesse game they neglect the fans who love the collision sport.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:52 AM
medicman

Woke up this morning....and it wasn't a dream!!!!! Oorah!
Be safe out there over the next couple or day!!!

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:19 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Quote:
I rarely hit...
That's classic.

@ CBL.

The problem on HF is that most people on here have never played hockey. I mean, if you look at what people are saying, they basically feel that Salmela should have been allowed to walk to the front of the net with his head down and Carter should have just stood and watched.

I didn't even play D, but even I know that if I did that, the rest of my teammates are probably going to be pretty PO'd at me.

So you have a bunch of 20 somethings who have never played and quite simply, just don't understand that hockey can be a brutal, vicious sport.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
kicksave27

Hopefully this doesn't make carter go even more in to his "i rarely hit' shell. If he used his body more, he'd get more space and less abuse from opposing D men.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:54 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
That's classic.

@ CBL.

The problem on HF is that most people on here have never played hockey. I mean, if you look at what people are saying, they basically feel that Salmela should have been allowed to walk to the front of the net with his head down and Carter should have just stood and watched.

I didn't even play D, but even I know that if I did that, the rest of my teammates are probably going to be pretty PO'd at me.

So you have a bunch of 20 somethings who have never played and quite simply, just don't understand that hockey can be a brutal, vicious sport.
I definitely think the lack of participation in hockey is part of it. Kind of drawing off of what captainpaxil said, to me, the other part of it is how many people have become fans in the last five years. I think as a whole, there is an influx of new hockey fans who don't really have a great deal of exposure to the game. They pick it up, show an interest in it (must live in DC, Pittsburgh, Chicago, ), but they don't have a great deal of past experience to draw on, therefore everything like the Carter hit that happens becomes a federal case. It bothers me too. Some of it's just comical, and if there's annoying stuff, I just come back to the Flyers board. It's usually sane around here.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:59 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
people dont understand that there isnt a rule against shoulders to heads

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:08 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I definitely think the lack of participation in hockey is part of it. Kind of drawing off of what captainpaxil said, to me, the other part of it is how many people have become fans in the last five years. I think as a whole, there is an influx of new hockey fans who don't really have a great deal of exposure to the game. They pick it up, show an interest in it (must live in DC, Pittsburgh, Chicago, ), but they don't have a great deal of past experience to draw on, therefore everything like the Carter hit that happens becomes a federal case. It bothers me too. Some of it's just comical, and if there's annoying stuff, I just come back to the Flyers board. It's usually sane around here.
An actual quote from the thread.

Quote:
Flyers lead the league in dirty hits since the lockout....Oh and before the Flyers fans get all bothered, I don't care if the hit is within the current rules.
If that's not irrational Flyers hatred, I don't know what is. That thread really is a comedy goldmine. I can understand getting upset about a borderline hit (like Richards on Booth), but this was such a clean, hockey play.

And BTW, exactly what rules are people on the main board proposing to eliminate this?

- No hitting?
- No hitting in front of the net?
- No hitting a player when his head is down?
- No hitting if you're above 6'3?

I think there might have been some contact with the head, but Carter is 6'3, Salmela is 6'0 and was skating with his head down, is Carter supposed to magically lower his height by 5 inches before making the hit?

Old
02-09-2010, 09:14 AM
HoverCarle*

Carter enjoying Pronger Physics.

People will always blindly hate our team.

Old
02-09-2010, 09:17 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Carter enjoying Pronger Physics.

People will always blindly hate our team.
That's the most amusing part, it's Jeff Carter who didn't even hit before Laviolette got here and has fewer hits than Giroux on the season.

I mean seriously, if there's North American player in the NHL who's the opposite of goon, it's probably Jeff Carter.

Old
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
There's a thread on the main board about the Carter hit. Somehow, I made it to about the 5th page. It's the kind of thread that will make you realize that it's time for an agonizing reappraisal of your whole situation. Should you be spending time out of your day browsing hfboards? Should you continue frequenting this site when there is that much stupidity running rampant? It's a site about hockey, and when that many people on it have that skewed of a perception about hockey...is it really worth your time?

It sucks, cuz on one hand I really enjoy this site...there are some great posters and posts to be read...tons of info, and some quality humor. But, on the other hand, the frequency with which I find myself trying to figure out whether I'm reading the post of some 10-year old kid, or a challenged adult...well, it's just a little much at times.

Anyone else ever find themselves wondering when they're reading some downright moronic post if it's some 5th grader sitting at his computer on the other end of it? I wonder that all the time on this site...not that someone younger could never have anything worthwhile to offer...it's just that, as a 26-year old, I'd hope that the majority of the posters on this site aren't in elementary or middle school, ya know? And sometimes, I'm not so sure.
Unfortunately many of them are in their early 20s. They're not kids, they're not dumb, and believe it or not, it isn't even their fault. It's their Gen X/Gen Y parents' fault.

The Gen X/Gen Y -ers are the most spoiled generation in history (no offense to anyone, I fall into that category myself). They were even more spoiled than their boomer parents, who in turn were spoiled by their depression/WW2 generation parents because they had to go through a lot and wanted their kids to have a better life. But at least the boomers benefitted from quality, hands on parenting. Their children did not.

Being a spoiled or selfish person is one thing. But the Gen X/Gen Y -ers raised their kids selfishly, something that hadn't happened before. They pumped them full of ritalin, but it wasn't enough. They made sure everyone got a little league trophy. They went to PTA meetings and decided that marking a failing paper with red ink was too mean. They never taught them that sometimes things don't go your way.

So is it any surprise that when things don't go their way, they find someone to villify?

I can't even blame the league for it. They're just trying to make money off the big target demo, and they understand how they think. Bettman's a businessman, not a monarch who wants the best for his domain.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
BerubeBox*

As for the game, damn that was fun! I don't think the building gets any louder than it was in the last few minutes of the second.

Leighton should bring back the Pete Peeters move, but just for Elias. (can't believe there's no youtube of it. he would make a big glove save, look at the shooter, and let the puck fall out of his glove onto the ice in front of him)

That call on Krajicek was unbelievable. Apparently that moron ref thinks it's a penalty if the player doesn't score. You could pick 10 of the drunkest Devils fans, and only 1 or 2 of them would have thought that was a hold.

Let's make it a sweep!

Old
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM
HoverCarle*

Kraijcek had 2 hands on his own stick, it crazy to call him for holding.

Didnt like the Timonen boarding call because a minute earlier a devil hit a Flyer the same way and Joe Benneati was even like "I guess the refs are letting them play now"

Old
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Black Ice

Quote:
That's the most amusing part, it's Jeff Carter who didn't even hit before Laviolette got here and has fewer hits than Giroux on the season.

I mean seriously, if there's North American player in the NHL who's the opposite of goon, it's probably Jeff Carter.
Meh, just playing in Orange and Black makes you a goon, according to some. I just hope that Jeff doesn't shy away from playing physical because it really does add another dimension to his game.

I've never played hockey and I'm General X and I realize that hockey is a contact sport. Please don't lump me in with the morons on the main board, who've been fed a steady diet of "The Flyers are evil". They've been brainwashed and they take a knee jerk reaction to anything involving Philly. Nothing more, nothing less.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:

If that's not irrational Flyers hatred, I don't know what is. That thread really is a comedy goldmine. I can understand getting upset about a borderline hit (like Richards on Booth), but this was such a clean, hockey play.

And BTW, exactly what rules are people on the main board proposing to eliminate this?

- No hitting?

I think there might have been some contact with the head, but Carter is 6'3, Salmela is 6'0 and was skating with his head down, is Carter supposed to magically lower his height by 5 inches before making the hit?
Yea I went and read the thread and I was chuckling the whole time. I don't think there was head contact, and if there was, it was minimal. If you sift through the ******** in there, I think there may be a few people who say something about the timing of the hit, and that's a legitimate concern. With this specific one, it happened very quickly --- another thing that people who've never played hockey overlook...the game is so, so, so fast, especially at the pro level --- and though Carter did hit him late, it really wasn't that late.

However, the late hits by a couple seconds...those need to be eliminated. Remember Corey Perry's 'hit' on Giroux? Besides being a blatant elbow to the head, it was very late. Maybe even Green's hit on Frolik last week, I don't know. Timing and headshots I can understand. A good clean shoulder to shoulder hit....get the **** out

Old
02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

i better not get in any fender benders wearing flyers gear, everyone might assume its my fault and haul me off to a lethal injection

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:29 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Unfortunately many of them are in their early 20s. They're not kids, they're not dumb, and believe it or not, it isn't even their fault. It's their Gen X/Gen Y parents' fault.....
Good post. I'm sure this could be something discussed for a long, long time. Suffice it to say I'm glad my parents held me accountable and brought me up the way they did.

Quote:

Didnt like the Timonen boarding call because a minute earlier a devil hit a Flyer the same way and Joe Benneati was even like "I guess the refs are letting them play now"
Yea, regarding Kimmo's penalty -- looked almost identical to Salvador's hit on Carcillo in the first period. Strangely enough, that didn't result in a penalty, only a fight between the two.

Old
02-09-2010, 09:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

- No hitting?

Mike Milbury called it "the wussification" of the game. It's really all it is. There's a lot of people in there too who say that it was a legal hit.

The problem is that people think a guy was put out that it was a head shot, don't realize that it does not say in the rule book that you cannot hit a guy in the head.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yea, regarding Kimmo's penalty -- looked almost identical to Salvador's hit on Carcillo in the first period. Strangely enough, that didn't result in a penalty, only a fight between the two.
Actually I thought that hit was OK. Maybe I need to watch it again. Either way I was surprised Danny was able to get up after that, let alone get right into a fight. That hit was a monster.

It was a reeeeally strangely called game. Carcillo gets a misconduct for complaining about a trip, well what about getting hit from behind while on his knees? That he was on his knees shouldn't be a factor, but his face got mushed into the boards more than whoever Timonen hit. And then later Briere knifes directly through the crease and bowls over Brodeur, and the ref just watches it. There were several other plays I could not believe weren't called. I think the refs were high. Seriously.

Old
02-09-2010, 10:18 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

heard that

that was some some BS

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote