HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

what are the habs missing the most?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2004, 02:49 AM
phil76

vCash: 500
what are the habs missing the most?

hello everyone
listening to the game made me :mad:

i think the habs are missing a big center
that can shake this up

i think BG should consider getting a huge center during the off season ribeiro is a talented player but he is to small

i would love to see BG acquiring keith primeau

imagine the line

1st zednick-koivu-kovalev
2nd ryder-primeau-ward
3rd bulis-dowd-plekanec
4th langdon-begin-sundstrom

what do you guys think about primeau?

\

Old
04-24-2004, 02:58 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
I think with Koivu and Ribs as our first two line centres we are in alright shape...but like you said some more size in the middle would help. I would like to see the habs get a powerforward winger with size who can play on the top 2 lines. This way Riberio and Ryder would have more space to create scoring chances on the second line.

Old
04-24-2004, 03:01 AM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
We are missing Chris Simon. Everything else looks fine and will look better with the coming prospects.

Old
04-24-2004, 03:07 AM
Habber

Primeau's good but he's a 3rd line centre. I don't think he has the offensive skills to play 2nd line anymore.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil76
hello everyone
listening to the game made me :mad:
what do you guys think about primeau?
I think Primeau is perfectly within his niche and we have no chance at ever getting him, because Philly will always overpay to keep him.

Basically, it comes down to what type of team do we want? A TB-style (current guys plus Higgins/Plekanec/Perez/Kast additions from within playing shifty speed game) or a Philly-style (big and talented firepower). We need to commit to one or the other with this off-season's moves, if we hope to make a step forward in our pursuit of contender status.

Instead of Primeau: Holik is more likely to one day become available. If you're willing to suck up a monster contract (even with the Rangers swallowing part, it will still be monster). Ditto Brind'Amour on a slightly smaller contract. He's not *so* big, but he plays like it. Anyway, the Big And Good blueprint will require additions from the outside, and will probably therefore involve getting older players. That means we'll also have to start laying the foundations to replace those players from within in the draft. (i.e. drafting Chipchura types for the future instead of Kastitsyn types).

The pure talent TB blueprint can pretty much proceed from within with what we've got, and some gradual improvements on D.

Personally, I see the Big And Good (BAG) blueprint as Gainey's preference, the Pure Offensive Talent (POT) blueprint as what Savard and his Ottawa crew were trying to put in place.

Old
04-24-2004, 11:14 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
People forget that we're still in our rebuilding stages. I wouldnt replace our young kids for better veterans. Give our youth time and space to gain experience. Keep in mind for every veteran we sign in the offseason, it makes one less spot for Hossa, Higgins, Perez, Hainsey, and Plecanek.

Old
04-24-2004, 11:53 AM
NewHabsEra*

Hossa or Perezhogin in place of Dagenais, Plekanec in place of Ribeiro... That's what we actually miss more!

BTW, what happen with Ryder? The kid seems have lost his confidence, would be fun if he could translate his superb play of the season in the playoffs!

Old
04-24-2004, 12:14 PM
chicpea*

What are the Habs missing the most? The net.

Old
04-24-2004, 12:25 PM
BBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Hossa or Perezhogin in place of Dagenais, Plekanec in place of Ribeiro... That's what we actually miss more!

BTW, what happen with Ryder? The kid seems have lost his confidence, would be fun if he could translate his superb play of the season in the playoffs!
So you think Plekanec is better than Ribs 65p saison whit 1 legit
winger the only thing missing on that line is a semi power forward
that work hard decent scoring thouch and passing skills.
Not trying to make a Ribs vs Koivu here because Saku is supirior
but put Dag and take Kovy of that line there nombers would drop
like a rock Kovy was the missing link.
I don't expect to have 2 Kovy but maybe Higgins is there missing link.
If Ryder ad buryed a couple of is chance and he and alot diffrent story Rib a passer
like Koivu if there no 1 to score on those pass they wont score alot of goals for you.

Old
04-24-2004, 12:43 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR
If Ryder ad buryed a couple of is chance and he and alot diffrent story Rib a passer
like Koivu if there no 1 to score on those pass they wont score alot of goals for you.
I think Ryder is a kind of "semi power foward" but we just dont see the true Ryder actually in the playoffs, we rather see the one some expected to not be NHL material..

As for Ribeiro, he was for sure an upgrade over Perreault all the season long but also has his flaws, he is extremmely weak and not very fast.. Ribeiro also played all the season long on the PP, what mainly explain his impressive number but I would'nt expect another so productive season from him! While I agree Ribeiro is playing with a pilon and another rookie that doesnt play really good hockey lately, it remains that it's not different for Ribs, he too is'nt playing good hockey at the moment, he is'nt working and skating as he should be... To answer your question, I think yes, Plekanec would be an upgrade over Ribeiro because he is just more complete as a hockey player... Faster, stronger, never stop working in both side of the ice, great playmaker, better shot...

I think Ribeiro must show up right now if he wants to remain a Habs!

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 04-24-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old
04-24-2004, 12:58 PM
superstar436

what the habs are missing is a 2nd line LW to play with ribs and ryder. I think that ribs btw. If you put kovy and zednik with him he will do better than koivu (I know I will get some heat for this but this is true)

ALso I think we are missing A GENERAL ON THE BLUELINE. I look at the habs corp of defence and I don't see a real #1 d-man. Markov is the best but he is not enough. Remember with souray playing well in the beginning of season the whole team played better. Not because of the goals souray scored but it gave this stability between d-man and forwards and so this complicity made the habs a more balanced; thus, a better team

Old
04-24-2004, 01:16 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea

We are more or less on the same wavelength but I would say Hossa or Higgins in place of Dagenais.

Ribeiro really looks ordinary (or less than ordinary) against faster teams. He might be around for the rebuilding process but I don't think he could ever be considered as a number two center on an elite team. Maybe Cory Urquhart??

Ryder looks tentative. He is waiting that extra second before he shoots which is the exact opposite of what he was doing during the regular season. Maybe the media types that were complaining about too much shooting and not enough passing finally got to him. Still love the guy's effort though.

Old
04-24-2004, 01:20 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR
Plekanec has more strength, plays BOTH ends of the rink , plays a much more physical style and is a much better skater than Ribs. He also has the ability to kill penalties, play the PP and take a regular shift.

Ribs is a better passer and a better stickhandler but only seems effective against slower opponents.

Yeah, I would take Plekanec in a heartbeat.

Old
04-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
i want to get flamed !
Ribeiro is a punk! he's a lazy players without heart... sure he's killed but Koivu is superior to him in about every categories on the ice (except vision on-ice and even there the difference isnt that big!!)
If we want to build a Contenders we need a bigger #2 center with goal-scoring touch and heart!!
if we can trade ribeiro, trade him now!!! his value is higher than ever right now !
im hoping for him to get traded to move up in next year draft !!
In others word: Ribeiro c'est pas un joueur de série !!
flame me now !

Old
04-24-2004, 01:35 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
Maybe Cory Urquhart??
This one really impressed me this summer. I love him...well for now.

Old
04-24-2004, 01:37 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
if we can trade ribeiro, trade him now!!!
I always said it. Ribeiro wont take you anywhere. Even when almost everyone around liked him...i didnt change my thought.

Old
04-24-2004, 01:43 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
I've read all this posts so far.. and to be honest agree with many of the points...

Signing free agents - Yes this will take away a spot from our youthful players looking to jump from the farm to the big club... However i would still be very interested in a player like Eric cole on the 2nd line with Ribs and Ryder..

Trying to get rid of Ribs - Not so fast...some people say we need a bigger centre, some say we need a faster one... Lets give this kid one more season... he had a good one with one good winger with him. Next year with maybe a Hossa or a Perezhogin then who knows what he could do.... Also if we were to fail in the playoffs and Vinny has made Ribs look like a smhuck (sp) then i think that would be big enough motivation for Ribs to go into the Offseason and bust his @ss and work on his speed and strength. The Princes's of Quebec have finally grown up, only right now one is wearing a crown and the other is still looking for his... this should be enough to sort out Ribs head.. Fingers crossed

Plekanec - Now i love this guy and can't wait for him to finally get the nod... i think if there is a season next year he will see some time... and will one day take over the 3rd line duties.... a Bulis-Plekanec-Ward line would be great.... Speed, hustle and the ability to still get points.... We'd still have Begin and he'd be living it Up on the Fourth line... busting balls and Annoying top lines.... If Ribs was to fall from favour then Plekenac's Offenisive side could easily see him move to the 2nd line... however i'd rather see a bigger winger on Ribs LW than the opposite of losing him alltogether....

The Net - Thats right Chicpea not only are you a Master DJ but you can also spot the obvious... it gave me a laugh or two... The Habs need to make sure in the remainding games that it just isn't Special K, lighting up the lamp. Ribs hasn't really broke out yet and Ryder is still searching for the net regardless of his undoubted work ethic - i've sent him a map and a compass via Fed-Ex they've told me it should reach him in time for sunday's game.... I think in regards to the net being found by the boys on the 2nd line... we'll see a more determined Ribs in game 2... Vinny came out guns a blazing, Ribs bought his peashooter to game 1.... it will be different game 2 i'm sure.... Ribs doesn't like to made a fool of...

So boys heres to game two... heres to the map... heres to the New Crown Prince of the Q.... heres to the acquisition of a BIG LW.... heres to Poutine..... heres to Ribs Peashooter.... heres to Special K.... heres to Claude.....

GO GO!!!!!!

Old
04-24-2004, 03:29 PM
BBR

If plekanek devloppe and becomes a better than Ribs i have no
probleme trading him.
But Ribs did put 65p this saison whit one rookie winger and ahl player
he made 24p on pp so its not just on pp he make point he as
5g game winner and 1g ty he was on the fisrt pp unit for2/3 of the saison the rest
on 2unit whit dag or yan or bulis that realy help stats.

How munch 2line player did that this year him and Saku
we have 1,2 punch line when was the last time did the habs have that.

We are missing a winger on that line real bad and its not Bulis,ward,dag or
yannic the solution we are in reconstuction phase.
So until we have a legit winger to play whit him its hard to juge him
maybe the solution is in or farm club.
If you compare Ribs stats and Saku they are very close.
And the first serie get Kovy off the first line and put dag its not the same line?
I love Ryder but o goal on 29 shot is not very good Ribs and Ryder
are missing a good winger and experience that hit until thay
have that we can't make a good jugement.

Old
04-24-2004, 03:37 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR
If plekanek devloppe and becomes a better than Ribs i have no
probleme trading him.
But Ribs did put 65p this saison whit one rookie winger and ahl player
he made 24p on pp so its not just on pp he make point he as
5g game winner and 1g ty he was on the fisrt pp unit for2/3 of the saison the rest
on 2unit whit dag or yan or bulis that realy help stats.

How munch 2line player did that this year him and Saku
we have 1,2 punch line when was the last time did the habs have that.

We are missing a winger on that line real bad and its not Bulis,ward,dag or
yannic the solution
we are in reconstuction phase.
So until we have a legit winger to play whit him its hard to juge him
maybe the solution is in or farm club.
If you compare Ribs stats and Saku they are very close.
And the first serie get Kovy off the first line and put dag its not the same line?
I love Ryder but o goal on 29 shot is not very good Ribs and Ryder
are missing a good winger and experience that hit until thay
have that we can't make a good jugement.
Nice post..... yeah the answer is not Bulis, ward , dags or yannic.. maybe it is Hossa or perezhogin.. though as i've said before i'd love an Eric cole type of player... a big guy to help with the board play.... then i think as long as we re-sign Kovalev we'd have two greart lines....

Old
04-24-2004, 04:08 PM
MissNY

Blind Gardien - Holik can be a great intimidating presence when he wants to be. I don't think he'd be good for the Canadiens, though. He was far too outspoken with the New York media, criticizing his fellow team members, making his efforts to motivate the Rangers backfire. In general he just made a lot of people mad. (In New York AND in Jersey!) There has also been a lot of speculation that he was a VERY divisive force in the locker room, contributing to Rangers not being able to get it together as a team. Also, if I remeber correctly, he has a multi-year $45 million contract. If the Canadiens acquired him, I don't think they'd have the budget to keep Kovalev, who has proven himself as a playoff performer and is a good team guy.

Old
04-24-2004, 04:14 PM
BBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin
I always said it. Ribeiro wont take you anywhere. Even when almost everyone around liked him...i didnt change my thought.
Where did Saku brig us you trade him its alway the Ribs and Saku behind
evry anti Ribs.
We can't have 2 good center in habs contry.
I hope we trade him he will play great in and other team and will get
2rd pic for him.

Old
04-24-2004, 10:03 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin

agree when he was on the ice and he was hurt for nothing and i knew that (il fesait sa petite comedie) but i know that ribeiro wont take a team anywhere

Closed Thread