HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toskala is happy to be gone!

Old
02-08-2010, 03:18 AM
iPunch
#StandWithOttawa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingForAbsolution View Post
I love reading the reactions on this board honestly. Just because he did crappy for your team automatically makes him the worst person in the world.

"omg i hope he fails at life" "what a ****ing bum"

You think any of these athletes really care about what the fans think? To them its just their job. How would you like it if a random person came into your place of employment and said you were awful at it.

He's not with Toronto anymore, let it go.
Give it up Vesa.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateSave View Post
I don't dislike Vesa Toskala as a person for these comments or because he was a poor goalie, I dislike Vesa Toskala because he never really owned up to his poor play or glaring mistakes and always seemed to have an air of incomprehensible self-satisfaction.

He only ever was a team guy when it came to sharing the blame.
This.

I'm not really sure what happened to the guy. The last half of the first season he was here he played really well, and then his play fell off. He seemed pretty indifferent to it all, as well.

I remember being very impressed in his first season, but there's really no excuse for the last two.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Pierre Gotye

The Leafs paid a pretty price to get Toskala from SJ, including trading a number one pick for him.

He's nothing more than a backup. He had every opportunity to take the job and run with it, he was either inconsistent or failed to live up to expectations.

The Leafs re-vamped their defensive corps, more than once to try to help him perform better and he never did.

It's not like Wilson and Burke didn't give him an opportunity. Burke even insisted he stop playing last year so he could get surgery done to correct his groin and rehab so he could be better.

In the end, I think Toskala proved he just couldn't handle the pressure, and couldn't do the job. I almost think Raycrap was better his first two years here than Toskala was his last two years here.

You just wait and see how much Giguere will benefit mentoring Gustavsson. Gustavsson will learn from Giguere and become an elite goaltender. Toskala would never be able to do it.

Good luck in Anaheim or where-ever you go Vesa, but you are not worth more than $1.5 a year, and that's being generous. I am glad you took one of JFJ's other big mistakes(Jason Blake) with you to Anaheim so you're no longer around to agonize us.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:42 AM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingForAbsolution View Post
I love reading the reactions on this board honestly. Just because he did crappy for your team automatically makes him the worst person in the world.

"omg i hope he fails at life" "what a ****ing bum"

You think any of these athletes really care about what the fans think? To them its just their job. How would you like it if a random person came into your place of employment and said you were awful at it.

He's not with Toronto anymore, let it go.
-Sincerely Vesa's Dad.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 04:48 AM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
No wonder it's taking so long for him to get a visa. You have to prove that no American citizen can do the same job. Good luck with that

Your right america is a greg goldberg factory

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Maybe he'll go re-organize his man purse now. At least he'll fit in better in OC than he did in Toronto.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 05:57 AM
Copie

Yea Toskala, it wasn't you, it was the horrible team in front of you-- why just look at how poorly your replacement is doing...

Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
So much hates in this thread. . . I love it

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:18 AM
htpwn

ZOMG! How could the Leaf defense allow those types of shots?!??!!??

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Truculence View Post
Was it in the thread made today?
I think it was a few days ago. Around the time of the trade.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:29 AM
RhyZa

It's like no one got Toskala's humour while he was year, he was just seen as miserable when in fact most of his comments were of the sarcastic variety.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:37 AM
wendelclark17

Its understandable that both vesa and the leafs to want to "wash out" memories of their time together. It wasnt favourable for either side, especially closer to the end.

wendelclark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 08:42 AM
KapG

The feeling is mutual Toskala.

#### off

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
Its understandable that both vesa and the leafs to want to "wash out" memories of their time together. It wasnt favourable for either side, especially closer to the end.
Oh I dunno, $10 million+ for those performances is a favourable deal for Vesa me thinks.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:17 AM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of the loonie View Post
Have fun in Siberia next year Vesa
p.s. toskala is finnish not russian

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Being Russian is not one of the requirements of playing in the KHL.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
KHL!!!!!!!!!!!

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAustralia View Post
OMG what a Jerk!
No way man, we treated Toskala like crap; don't get me wrong, he deserved it..anytime a goalie makes 4mil and post some of the worst starting goalie stats in league history he deserves everything he gets from the fans and media....

that being said, i get where he is coming from.....if i were him i'd want to forget about my days in Toronto as fast as possible

But i think the same applies for us, do we miss him? NO, do we want him back? No....so really, he feels the same towards us, can't fault a guy for that

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Emroc

Apparently, he isn't just pissing off Leafs fans:

Quote:
Former Leaf goaltender Vesa Toskala is already making waves on his new team, despite not yet having played for them.

Upon arriving via trade, Toskala’s first move was to request the number 35 – the one worn by the most successful goalkeeper in Anaheim history and the newest Maple Leaf, J.S. Giguere. He was refused.

“It didn’t work out,” Toskala told the Orange County Register. Both goalkeepers wear 35. Giguere got Toskala’s old number when he moved to Toronto. Toskala has been forced to switch to 36.

Next, Toskala added a little parting shot. Though he has yet to receive a work visa for the U.S., and so can only practice, he does so wearing a Ducks jersey and a Leafs mask.

Asked when the visor will get a new green-and-gold paint job, Toskala said, “Hopefully soon ... So I can wash that blue and white out of my gear.”

Then, as if on script, Toskala began to moan about slotting in behind Anaheim’s number one, Jonas Hiller.

“I don’t think I’m a back-up,” Toskala said. “I’m not going to complain or anything. If it’s my call, I would play every game because I love to play. When I play a lot, I play my best.”

Apparently, reality still eludes the disappointing Finn.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...-shot-at-leafs

Emroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:21 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
How can you wash white out of something
.....uhm throw in a pair of red socks

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Kessick

I'm not a big fan of the guy, but I don't think he was "moaning" about playing behind Hiller. That might be a tad exaggerated. For some reason he continues to believe he's a number one, which is good for him if he thinks it'll help him stay motivated or something.

He's an idiot to ask for #35. Somehow I don't buy that he didn't know it was Giguere's old number considering he did play in the same division as the guy, so yeah, that's kind of inexcusable.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Wario Lemieux*

I think you guys need to look at a longer timeline to understand the problem. Over the course of the last 5 years, the Toronto Maple leafs have been ruining goaltenders. Goaltenders that were highly touted or acomplished before wearing the white and blue were all somehow got worse and posted their worst career numbers in Toronto. Lets look back to when Belfour came over. First year was lights out, but really started to tail off in the next two seasons. had a little resurgance on Florida, but his game had hit a wall in his hast two seasons with the Leafs. Toskala was pretty much the same thing, lights out first season, progressivly lost confidence and got worse. Raycroft was ruined. Gustuvson hasn't been ruined yet, but he is on his way.

If I was a goalie in the NHL I would never ever want to play for the Leafs. Thats like seeing your coffin before you die.

Wario Lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
I think you guys need to look at a longer timeline to understand the problem. Over the course of the last 5 years, the Toronto Maple leafs have been ruining goaltenders. Goaltenders that were highly touted or acomplished before wearing the white and blue were all somehow got worse and posted their worst career numbers in Toronto. Lets look back to when Belfour came over. First year was lights out, but really started to tail off in the next two seasons. had a little resurgance on Florida, but his game had hit a wall in his hast two seasons with the Leafs. Toskala was pretty much the same thing, lights out first season, progressivly lost confidence and got worse. Raycroft was ruined. Gustuvson hasn't been ruined yet, but he is on his way.

If I was a goalie in the NHL I would never ever want to play for the Leafs. Thats like seeing your coffin before you die.
Ed Belfour was a Vezina finalist after his second season with Toronto. Giguere is doing okay so far considering his career was pretty well sunk by being traded here.

Thanks for the $0.02 though.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post

Belfour had 2 great seasons here. He never tailed off in his second season. The first 2 season here, he was a vezina trophy finalist. So I don't how you can say that his play tailed off after his first season. Sure, his first season after the lock out was awful, but I don't think that it was the Leafs fault. Did the Leafs ruin Joseph also? Nope, in fact, he had his best seasons while he played in Toronto. So I do not agree with you, sir.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Leafs626364

u know what... I liked Toskala for most of his tenure here, thought he had it a little tough, but his stats were just plain bad the past two seasons

men lie, women lie, numbers don't

Leafs626364 is offline   Reply With Quote